Quiet Noise

16 Sep

Let’s talk a little bit about habits…

As a writer, I believe we all have habits that we use to work.  That help our mind-frame as we complete a scene or construct a new one that just popped into our heads, or one we’ve been mulling over in our minds for days or even weeks.

I have writer friends that have music in the background.  Some listen to music that fits the mood of the scene their working on.  Romantic and soft for an intimate scene, heavier and faster for an action scene.

Then there are those like me that enjoy total peace and quiet.  No music, no television in the background…absolutely nothing.

I often wonder how writer’s that have background noise can concentrate enough to work.  But then I’m sure they are wondering the same thing about those of us that write with no sound at all except for the buzz of the refrigerator, or the occasional dog barking outside or airplane flying overhead.  (Which, by the way, pulls me out of my work and distracts me.  When I say quiet…I mean quiet…lol).

How do you like to work?  Even if you don’t write, but you need to concentrate on something, do you like it peaceful and totally quiet, or do you like that white noise in the background? Share your comments and thoughts, I’d love to hear them :)

About these ads

Posted by on September 16, 2011 in Day to Day Life, On Writing

Tags: , ,

19 responses to “Quiet Noise

September 16, 2011 at 7:57 am

Lol One of my cps can’t stand any noise (you sound like her). Me? I lived in 60’s music while writing my upcoming release HOME to help me sink into the era. When I write my cowboys I love to listen to Tim McGraw and Justin Moore (have ya’ll seen the a$$ on that baby?). I will usually put the radio on and let it play whatever comes on but at times, for a certain scene, a special mood, I will put a cd of ‘inspirational music’ on. ;) One of my heroines shocked me by listening to opera! I actually bought a cd of a fabulous woman (forget her name just now) and plugged in the earbuds. There’s always a first for something in this business!

2. ChristineWarner

September 16, 2011 at 8:11 am

I’m impressed! Love the opera story! Way cool. Makes me jealous that I can’t tune in some tunes when writing :)

3. Jennifer Lowery~Writer

September 16, 2011 at 8:39 am

I have learned to work whenever I can! That usually means in between kids, sports, house work, dinner, life. I think I’m able to create at the drop of a hat, lol! Wish I had a more set routine though.

September 16, 2011 at 8:43 am

Hi Jennifer! I wish I could work in between all that you do! I’m jealous. :)

September 16, 2011 at 8:44 am

I don’t think I could work in peace, not after four girls. I seem to write best at night or first thing in the morning. I have to have the next chapter started or I find it really hard to get going again. For now this is working for me, but I think you have to always find new and inventive ideas that kick your muse in gear.
    XX,
    Denice

September 16, 2011 at 8:58 am

Hi Denice! I think I’m the opposite. lol…after 3 kids, I find that I work best early morning, when everyone is off doing their own thing…school, work, what have you. Funny how we all do it differently.

5. Daley McKowen

September 16, 2011 at 8:44 am

I find that listening to music gives me more a more consistent stream of sound than having it off. After a while I more or less zone out.

September 16, 2011 at 8:59 am

Hi Daley, thank you for stopping by! I have tried to listen to music, but can’t seem to zone it out. I tend to concentrate on the words and what song is coming up next…lol!

• Daley McKowen

September 19, 2011 at 3:21 am

Oh, I can understand that. I listen to instrumental music when I work, actually.

September 16, 2011 at 9:15 am

I like to listen to music while I write. I generally try to select music that goes with what I’m writing, Celtic when I’m writing my paranormal, country when I’m writing my book set on a ranch in South Dakota. I’d probably do okay with silence if I was alone while writing. Most of the time I have too many kids around and they’re always make noise while I’m writing. Too distracting.

September 16, 2011 at 9:20 am

Hi Ceri! I’m sensing a theme here. It looks like most everyone can work with music or distractions…I wish I could! I have a feeling if people were talking around me, I’d end up typing what they were saying instead of telling my story…lol

7. cyeko (@cyeko)

September 16, 2011 at 10:42 am

Hey Christine, I’m with you. I actually lock myself in my room with ear plugs. I need total and absolute silence.

I guess I’m too easily distracted. ;>

Cheryl

September 16, 2011 at 10:49 am

Hi Cheryl…well, we are the minority! I guess I’m easily distracted too :)

September 16, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I like the tv to be on, but low. Sometimes music, but I generally tune in out.

September 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Hi D’Ann…thanks for stopping by! This is all interesting…I wonder if it’s any reflextion on multi-tasking abilities…might have to research that one :)

September 16, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Okay, I’m the oddball. I can work if the TV is blaring, if I’m at school and the students are chattering away instead of doing their worksheets, or if I have complete silence cause I’m at home and everyone else is gone. Makes no difference. I can have music, or not. I can have silence or not. Dogs barking to get in, dogs looking to get out. Weird, I know.

September 16, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Hey Callie….you must be a mom…lol. I remember that my mom my could focus on her task at hand no matter what was going on around her. I was always amazed how she could block us out when we were kids, screaming and shouting and playing around while she’d reada book or sew like we weren’t even there. And then when it was quiet, she could still keep her focus. Impressive that you can do that too :)

10. Tabitha Blake

September 17, 2011 at 11:49 am

For me it would have to be Ian Somerhalder. Plus it helps that he plays Damon on Vampire Diaries. He has eyes to die for and then toss in some fangs and I am putty. His character in vampire diaries is so seductive and conniving. LOL! He is tall, dark and dominant. I love a strong alpha males. Here is a link for anyone doesn’t know who I am talking about. Yummy! This was so much fun!

September 17, 2011 at 11:53 am

OMG Tabitha….he is Gorgeous! Never heard of him, but glad you introduced us..lol. You picked a hot one for sure! Thanks for stopping buy…glad you had fun :)