24 Sep

Hi and welcome to Friday Fun Facts!  Thank you for stopping by if you’ve visited before and if this is your first time, I’m glad you found us!  Settle in and play along…it’s easy.  Here’s how it works:  Each Friday I will post a question (something interesting, silly, fun, maybe a bit quirky, it’s Friday after all) and follow it with my answer.  You can join in and post your own answer by clicking the comment button below!

So, come play along and learn something new about me, and I’ll learn something new about you.

This week started the new television season and I’ve noticed a lot of shows that are based in the past.  The Playboy Club, Pan Am and then there are the shows that they have brought back from decades ago like Charlie’s Angels, Hawaii Five-O.  So, it got me thinking about those time spans from long ago.  How exciting to have been a bunny at the Playboy Club when it first opened, or one of the first flight attendants on the Pam Am Airlines.  Or to work on the set of Charlies Angels when it aired in the 70’s or to be living on the Hawaiian Islands in the fifties or sixties.

Okay, I admit I have three decades that I would love to live in—or at least visit—and not that I think they would be easy, but just interesting…exciting.  And remember as you read my choices, I’m thinking of this from more of a romantic angle, not a practical one.  Who wants to be practical when you can let your mind wander to romance and your knees turn to jelly?  Lol

The 1920’s—Flapper dresses, bobbed hair, bright red lipstick, sneaking into speak-easy’s, prohibition…if you were a wild, single lady in this era, think of the possibilities.  The 1940’s—I know, WWII was going on and it was rough, scary, but also think of how everyone pulled together to help each other out.  People worked together to get things done and there was a feeling of pride and solidarity—and men in uniform…need I say more?  And finally the 1950’s—and this is probably because I’ve watched too many movies from this era…lol.  But I can’t help but fall in love with this innocent time.  Imagine being a teenager in this decade, rock and roll, sock hops, poodle skirts, cool cars, drag races, cute boys—the bad boy loner and the good guy—with slicked back hair and rolled up jeans.  There seemed to be a real sense of family and togetherness, but at the same time a slight edge.

But then I can’t help but wonder if I were actually living in the midst of one or each of those time periods if I would just take them for granted, not realizing how amazing and historical they each were.

Anyway, I digress (yet again).  It also gave me a great idea (at least I think it’s great…lol)

…..Drum roll, please….Today’s Friday Fun Fact question is…

If you could live in any time period—past, present or future—which one would it be and why?

About these ads

Posted by on September 24, 2011 in Day to Day Life, Friday Fun Facts

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Loralee Lillibridge

September 24, 2011 at 12:58 am

Okay, I’ll play. Since I really was a teenager in the 50′s, I have to admit I’d go back there in a New York minute (whatever that is). Boy, did we have fun! Music was totally danceable, poodle skirts were in, Friday Night Lights was the real thing, and a gallon of gas in the car would take you everywhere you ever wanted to go on less than a dollar.
    Thanks, Christine, for bringing back some cherished memories. Maybe I should write a book.

September 24, 2011 at 1:21 am

Hi Loralee, glad you stopped by. You should definately write a book with a 50′s theme. That would make for a terrific story. So would WWII…the romance of a soldier coming home. The possibilities.(((swoon))).

September 24, 2011 at 1:21 am

I’d go back in time, to the 70′s, where life may have had their challenges but it was at a much slower pace. Material things didn’t matter and though their may have been crime , it certainly didn’t exist as it does today. I remember eating sundaes on a Friday night while watching Wizard of Oz as a child, then being told to go to bed when Carol Burnett show came on. Abbott and Costello on Sunday mornings, and Shirley Temple always got cut short because we had to go to church. Or maybe it’s that I was little and life seemed great… but I have the fondest memories of those days.

September 24, 2011 at 1:23 am

I Denice, you brought back some great memories for me too! I loved Carol Burnett, That Girl, The Mary Tyler Moore show…….you’re right, life seemed to go at a slow pace and summer days lasted forever. Aaaahhh…you made my day! Thanks :)

September 24, 2011 at 1:25 am

Ahh, bliss…. Don’t forget we had to come in when the streetlights came on. LOL
    This was fun.

September 24, 2011 at 1:51 am

LOL….I remember the day the street lights were installed….

September 24, 2011 at 1:30 am

I think the 40′s. Even though (or maybe because of) there was a war going on there seemed to be such a wonderful sense of patriotism, and family. People came together in a way that’s lacking now. There was innocence and people still knew how to have fun. The music and fashions were fantastic too.

September 24, 2011 at 1:52 am

The music was wonderful from that time. And fashions…love the hair, the tailored suits and I think almost all the women wore bright lipstick…or at least that’s how my mom was dressed in every picture! lol

5. Jennifer Lowery~Writer

September 24, 2011 at 2:40 am

Wonderful game! I would have to go with thirteenth century Scotland (highlands) because who doesn’t fantasize about Scottish highlanders? Thanks for the fun question, Christine!

September 24, 2011 at 2:52 am

YUM…you’re right on with that one Jennifer! Thanks for playing :)

September 24, 2011 at 3:03 am

What a cool game. I’ve thought about wanting to live back in the medieval days, but the thought of disease–the plague–took the romance right out of it for me.
    So after much thought and weighing of pros and cons, I decided I liked the 80′s. Maybe because I was a teen back then and we had so much fun….the clothes were hideous though, hehehehe.

September 24, 2011 at 3:16 am

LOL…I was a teen back in the 80′s too…very fun time…but you are right…pastels and shoulder pads…i still cringe when I think of either. Thanks for stopping by to play :)

September 24, 2011 at 3:14 am

Wow, just one time? Let’s see… *taps finger to chin* I loved living in the 70′s but I think I’d have to go back to the 60′s. I was born in that time, but don’t remember so much because I was so young. I find myself digging through facts of those days and wishing I remembered what was going on in the world when I was born. There’s just something about that era of ‘cool cars’ and sexy singers and the slow pace that draws me in…and it’s not the psychedelics that carried us over into the 70′s! lol

Great question Christine. I’m enjoying others answers.

September 24, 2011 at 3:18 am

Thanks for your comments Calisa….the 60′s were another cool time…seems like the more I read other peoples choices, the more I realize I might want to jump around from decade to decade….lol

• Calisa Rhose

September 25, 2011 at 3:42 am

I’ll be happy to jump around with you!

September 24, 2011 at 3:48 am

Loved the 80s. I was a teen then too and it was awesome. Loved the clothes! And the music!

September 24, 2011 at 4:43 am

OMG…some great music! We have a club not far from here that does an 80′s night on Wednesdays…you dress up from the 80′s and the music is from then….kind of fun…and funny :)

9. Tabitha Blake

September 24, 2011 at 4:23 am

I am with Brenda. I would so go back to the 80′s. How can you not just love the 80′s? Yeah the clothes were ridiculous and we wore our hair to big and way too much makeup. But we had so much fun! An everyone remembers the 80′s even people that weren’t born yet. Our music has stood the test of time and is still around that says something. No one wants to let go. I was a teen in the 80′s and had a blast. Here are a few facts that brought back memories.

Music:
    MTV is aired for the first time.
    Madonna

21 Jump Street

Video Games:
    Pac-Man
    Donkey Kong
    Super Mario Brothers

Clothes:
    Teased Hair and yes we used way too much hair spray!
    Ripped Jeans my parents use to buy me jeans and freak out when I shredded them. LOL!
    Neon colors the brighter the better.
    Swatch watches
    Slap Bracelets
    Leggings
    Leg Warmers

I really enjoyed this it is a lot of fun and brought back some really great memories. Look forward to the nest one.

10. Tabitha Blake

September 24, 2011 at 4:43 am

Music:
    MTV is aired for the first time.
    Madonna

21 Jump Street

Video Games:
    Pac-Man
    Donkey Kong
    Super Mario Brothers

Clothes:
    Teased Hair and yes we used way too much hair spray!
    Neon colors the brighter the better.
    Swatch watches
    Slap Bracelets
    Leggings
    Leg Warmers

I really enjoyed this it was a lot of fun and brought back some really great memories. Look forward to the next one.

September 24, 2011 at 9:17 am

Ever since I read Time and Again byJack Finney, I’ve been enthralled with the late 1800s. Before the two World Wars, before the flu epidemic, before cars, airplanes, and the fast pace of life. Three of my four books were set in the 1800s, and the one I’m working on now is in the early 1900s, so I guess I do like that time period, lol.

Great question, Christine.

September 24, 2011 at 9:58 am

Thanks for stopping by Callie…glad you liked the question :)

September 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

Wow, what a tough question. I tend to want to go back to a time in my life when it was relatively stress free. But the lure of 1800′s calls to me. Without modern medicines, I can’t say I’d like anytime but now though. Can I choose the future?? LOL

September 24, 2011 at 10:39 am

Hi Sheri, thanks for commenting. You’re the first person to choose the future…YAY…I really thought there’d be more. To think of all the possibilities and advances in meds and technology…it’ll be a time that will be quite an experience!

13. Cheryl Yeko

September 24, 2011 at 10:52 am

Ok, I have to admit. I would go back to the 1969. I was too young to attend Woodstock and I would have loved to have been there.

Cheryl

September 24, 2011 at 11:36 am

Thanks for dropping in Cheryl…..not only did you name a decade, but a year and certain event! Way to know what you want…lol

• Calisa Rhose

September 25, 2011 at 3:44 am

I agree Cheryl. I would have been there. :)

14. Zee Monodee

September 24, 2011 at 7:48 pm

1940s – love the cut of the clothes, the makeup, the hair. There was a certain ‘classy’ air about the women in this get up. And the men in uniform, of course!

Piggybacking on this one, I’d also love the Mad Men era, if only for the bodies of these women. I’m bony by nature and would love a more voluptuous figure a la Christina Hendricks. 1940s had the ‘curvy’ factor going too. :)

September 24, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Hi Zee…thanks for stopping in. I couldn’t agree with you more about the 1940′s…it was a classy era! Good choice :)