30 Nov

Welcome to WHAT TO READ WEDNESDAY!

Today we’re all in for a wonderful treat.  I’d like to welcome Carolyn Arnold.

Hi Carolyn.  Thank you so much for visiting today!  I’m so excited to learn about your newest release.  From the teasers I’ve read, it sounds like it’ll be a wonderful book and something that will prove to be a thought-provoking read.

Before we get started, can you please share a little bit about yourself so we can get to know you?

I have been faithfully committed to the writing craft for the past four plus years.  As a teenager I used to write, but things in life changed and my passion for writing was pushed to the background.

I was born in Picton, Ontario in 1976 and am married to my best friend.  I love dogs, and have two beagles who are my children.  As some people phrase it, I’m a furry baby momma.

I’m a furry baby momma too, as well as a mom to the furless variety :)  Since 2011 is winding down, did you set any goals for yourself that you accomplished?  Any that are still a WIP?

When I started this year, I had no idea I was going to go the self-publishing route.  In fact if you asked me in January I would have told you I’m still holding out for traditional.  But again, things in life changed.

I had an agent interested in my debut novel TIES THAT BIND, but they requested a change I didn’t agree with.  I’m blessed to have a terrific online network and thought I’d try the self-pub route.  I haven’t regretted that decision at all.

In fact, I plan on self-publishing all my novels.

As for a current WIP, I’ve been doing a lot of edits recently trying to get a couple books ready for launch.  ELEVEN which just released this month, and the second in the Madison Knight series JUSTIFIED is set to release in December.  I’ve written a few words in a new novel and will commit to the project in the New Year.

I have met several other self-pubbed authors and they’ve all be wonderful…a great network of people.  Now back to some serious issues.  lol

Chocolate or Vanilla?

Vanilla.

Favorite season of the year and why?

Winter, and for one reason, the snow is so beautiful to watch coming down from inside a warm house. LOL

You’ve got that right!  Lol  What genre(s) do you write?

Mystery, thriller and suspense.  I have also written one Romantic Suspense and have ideas for other romance novels but my heart’s into writing M/T/S right now.

Where do you write?

In my office.

Would you say you research before you write or while you’re writing?

A combination actually.  I like to have a bit of foreknowledge – saves time in the editing process later on.  I’ve read the advice to mark places where research is needed in a manuscript with an asterisk (*) and go back after you’ve finished the first draft to do your research.  I have found this advice to be wise.  It allows me to keep the flow of the story without getting sidetracked with research.

I love the fact that your title ELEVEN released on 11/11/11…I just had to comment!

Thank you :)  Honestly the book, the title and that date was the final push I needed to choose the self-publishing route.  Traditionally it never would have been turned around that quickly.

Tell us about your latest release.

Brandon Fisher always wanted to be FBI, and at the age of twenty-eight has made Special Agent.  Transferred from his hometown of Sarasota, Florida to Quantico, Virginia he is teamed up under the lead of Veteran Special Agent Jack Harper of the Behavioural Analysis Unit.  With a temper normally close to the surface, Brandon has to learn to keep it under control because Jack tests his limits at every possible moment.  And with the first case taking them to Salt Lick, Kentucky and the discovery of underground burial chambers, Brandon must confront one of his greatest fears – claustrophobia.

Here’s the book blurb:

Eleven Rooms. Ten Bodies. One Empty Grave.

Brandon Fisher never expected this when he signed up as a Special Agent for the FBI. Working in the shadow of Supervisory Special Agent Jack Harper of the Behavioral Analysis Unit his career seemed set.  But when the team is called to a small rural town where the remains of ten victims are found in an underground bunker, buried in an unusual way, Brandon knows he’ll never return to his normal life.

With one empty grave, and the case touching close to home, he fears he’s become the target of a psychotic serial killer who wants to make him number eleven.  Only thing is, everything Brandon thinks he knows is far from the truth.

If you have a minute, you can watch the book trailer for ELEVEN and have 11 seconds leftover.  Here’s the link.

What character in your story do you identify with the most and why?

In ELEVEN, that’s a hard question to answer, or in any of my novels for that matter.  They all have characteristics that pull from human emotions, and they all have justifications for their actions and thought patterns.

What was the easiest part of writing this book?  The hardest?

I would have to say the easiest part was getting into Brandon’s mind.

The hardest was allowing myself to push past the dark elements in the book – the multiple murders and torture.

Would you share an excerpt of your book with us?

I have a few but they contain spoilers.  However, here is one passage I’m rather proud of.  It follows the discovery of the room where the victims were killed:

An ominous silence enveloped the room as if we were all absorbed in contemplating our mortality.  The human reaction to death and uncertainty, of wanting to know but not wanting the answers, of sympathy for those lost yet relief that it wasn’t us.

Where did you get your inspiration for this story?

I love the show “Criminal Minds”, and was also inspired by my favorite authors David Baldacci and Sandra Brown, wanted to write something “darker” than I normally would.

As far as where the inspiration actually came from, there’s this small rundown house on the outskirts of the city where I live.  It’s been abandoned for years and it just got my imagination going.

What are you working on now?

Right now, I’m working on the final edit round of JUSTIFIED, the second in Madison Knight series.  It’s set to release the beginning of December.

Where do you hope to see your writing career in three years?

Ideally, I would love to see it supporting me as a living.  I derive such pleasure from writing and it is only increased by knowing people are reading and enjoying my work.

And finally, Carolyn, where can we find you?

Amazon Author Page

Website

Blog

Twitter  @Carolyn_Arnold

Facebook page
Goodreads

Thank you for stopping by Carolyn.  It’s been great learning a bit more about you and your books.  Can’t wait to read them all, but especially Eleven.  Just your book trailer alone had me hooked.

And thank you everyone for joining us.  Happy Reading!!!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Christina

November 30, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Great interview. ladies. Eleven sounds intriguing, not surprising since I love Criminal Minds as well.

Congrats on deciding to go the self-pub route and good luck with your new release.

November 30, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for stopping by Christina….I love the sound of Carolyn’s book too and can’t wait to read it :)

November 30, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Turning on my Kindle to buy Eleven right now. This book sound awesome and I loved the trailer.

November 30, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Jerri, I loved the trailer too…that’s what hooked me.

3. Lia Davis

November 30, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Great interview! Eleven sounds like a wonderful read. Congrats on the new release and good luck with your self-publishing career.

4. Carolyn Arnold

November 30, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Thank you ladies, and I’m very pleased to hear you loved the trailer, and thank you for your interest and the well wishes.

Jerridreenen awesome to hear you turned on your Kindle to buy ELEVEN. I hope you enjoy the journey through the sorted mind of a serial killer.

Christine Warner, thank you for having me as a guest on your site.

November 30, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Hi Carolyn, I should be thank you for visiting What to Read Wednesday! So glad you could share your books with us.

November 30, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Congrats on the book. It sounds intriguing. Trailer looks great, too. Good luck with it.

6. Loralee Lillibridge

December 1, 2011 at 12:17 am

Great interview, Christine. Thanks for spotlighting a new author for my reading list.
    Carolyn, Eleven is now on my to-be-read pile. Wishing you much success.

Loralee

December 1, 2011 at 12:45 am

Happy to help you add to your library Loralee…lol…I’m looking forward to digging into this read myself :)

December 1, 2011 at 1:06 am

Great interview, Christine and Carolyn. Carolyn I commend your hard work and perseverance! Way to go.
    Wishing you much success,

8. Writer Jobs

December 1, 2011 at 1:42 am

Great post thanks. I really enjoyed it very much.

Love writing? We would love for you to join us!

Writers Wanted

9. Tereasa

December 1, 2011 at 2:08 am

Hi Carolyn, Your writing process sounds neat and great fun to take an old abandoned house and add bodies to. LOL. What fun we writers have!
    Love the trailer too and good luck to you!
    Tere

10. Nikki Barrett

December 1, 2011 at 2:10 am

Great interview, and your books sound GREAT!! I can’t wait to be able to read them. I wish you much success! :)

11. Patsy

December 1, 2011 at 2:11 am

Great interview. Amazing how “Eleven” came out! Congratulations and much luck with sales.

12. mirriamsmyth

December 1, 2011 at 3:25 am

Great interview :) I’ve been looking for more mystery/suspense books and your books have definitely caught my interest. Good luck with your sales!

13. Jennifer Lowery~Author

December 1, 2011 at 3:58 am

Wonderful interview! I love winter too, Carolyn. Your books sound awesome. Can’t wait to read them :) Thanks for sharing!

14. ChristineWarner

December 1, 2011 at 4:24 am

Thank you for everyone so far that’s come by and commented! Carolyn will be by later tonight as well to check in and answer comments :)

December 1, 2011 at 4:36 am

Christine, where do you find these interesting authors? Not only can they put out a book that makes me want to scream and buy, they have great interviews to boot! All of Carolyn’s books sound like a must read. Best of luck to her career (I don’t think she’ll need luck coming from me though), and thank you for another awesome interview.

December 1, 2011 at 5:22 am

Thank you Sheri! Not only do I love your compliment but I’m sure Carolyn does too! I couldn’t agree more with you, her books sound amazing….and her trailer is awesome. Hope you checked it out.

Thanks for commenting :)

December 1, 2011 at 6:38 am

Oooh, very intriguing set-up Carolyn! Good luck with the book!!

17. myrahmcilvain

December 1, 2011 at 9:43 am

Thanks Christine for sharing this very interesting interview. Good luck! I’m betting you’ll get your dream in three years. @MyraHMcIlvain

December 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hi Myra, thank you for coming by! I think your prediction is right and Carolyn will get her wish in 3 years, or sooner :)

18. Carolyn Arnold

December 1, 2011 at 11:00 am

First of all, thank you to all for taking the time to read my interview and make a comment. Thank you as well for all the well wishes of success.

Callie Hutton, Pleased to hear you find it intriguing.

Loralee Lillibridge, Terrific to hear I’m on your TBR list – thank you.

Neecy, Thank you :)

Writer Jobs, pleased to hear you enjoyed the post.

Tereasa, What can I say? Us mystery, thriller and suspense writers can have dark minds LOL.

Nikki, Thank you. :)

Patsy, Pleased you enjoyed the interview.

Mirriamsmyth, terrific :)

Jennifer Lowery, How can you not love winter? LOL Great to hear!

Sheri, Your comment was way too kind – thank you. I do love that you want to “scream and buy”.

Kristina, thank you :)

Myrah, I love your prediction! And would even take sooner, but still 3 years, not bad :D

Christine Warner – again, thank you so much for featuring me on your blog and introducing me and sharing me with your wonderful followers and friends.

19. ChristineWarner

December 1, 2011 at 11:06 am

Carolyn, I’m glad to have had you hear! Your books sound all sound wonderful and I can’t wait to read them. Though I admit, I’m going to start with Eleven first!

Thanks again Carolyn and everyone for coming by!!!

20. Mac Crowne

December 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm

With Criminal Minds playing in the background, it’s appropriate that I wandered in here. Eleven is on my TBR list. And wow, where are you that it is 11:06 am on 12/1? It’s only 5 pm on the 30th here!

December 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

LOL…for some reason my website shows a day ahead. Have tried to change it, but no go…..I’m in Michigan and it’s still November here.

Thanks for stopping by. Glad you’ve added Carolyn’s book to your TBR list…it’s going to be a good one :)

21. Carolyn Arnold

December 1, 2011 at 9:21 pm

MacCrowne, thank you.

And Christine, it’s all good :)