31 Dec

Can you believe it’s the last Friday of 2011?  This year flew by, but of course I tend to believe that the older I get the faster they go. :)

This weekend we transition from the year 2011 to 2012!  WOW, how incredible is that?

I used to make New Years Resolutions, but soon discovered my resolution usually seemed to be a bit unrealistic.  Something that normally was out of reach or I couldn’t stick to or a goal I couldn’t meet.  I had good intentions, but things could get in the way of those resolutions and make them unobtainable.

How did I feel then?  Well, like most people who don’t meet their resolutions…disappointed, let down…a failure.  And there can be enough of that in everyday life without us putting the pressure of a resolution on ourselves.  So I guess you could say my last resolution was no more resolutions. lol  Why did I have to use the year end marker to improve myself anyway….so there!  If I needed to change something about myself, meet a goal, shoot for something in particular on my wish list…I could just try.  And I could do it any time I felt the urge to go for it :)

But, while I was on facebook yesterday I was scrolling through the feeds and someone posted a really interesting comment.  They no longer made resolutions either (which, in itself isn’t that uncommon) but instead they chose a WORD for the year.  My take on it was that she picked a single word which described how she felt her year would go, something that might motivate her or reflect on things happening in her life.

Hmm…interesting, right?

Her word was CHANGE.  Per her comment, “as in embrace the change.”  She mentioned her family was due for a lot of change this upcoming year—graduations, new additions— and it was exciting.

Just reading her comment was in some small way uplifting and I really latched onto her idea about no resolutions but a WORD.   One word that describes your mood, your life, your year.  How cool is that?  I also liked the fact there isn’t pressure, like in making a resolution.  No worries you’ll fail or mess up or disappoint yourself or someone else.

Okay, there is the small pressure of choosing your one word…lol…but it’s nothing that will make you feel like a failure if you come up with more than one and have to narrow down your options.  Right?  :)

So, I carried that little niggle of the WORD idea around with me all day yesterday, trying to come up with my own word.  I had several that I liked.  Several I felt would share what the upcoming year reflected, or what I thought would happen.

I finally decided on my WORD.

HOPE.

Hope for my family and friends and myself.  Hope for what dreams we’ll have that will be realized.  Hope for achievements and goals we desire.  Hope!  That one little, four letter word speaks volumes.  It makes me feel…well, hopeful!  Excited for the upcoming year, the possibilities.  For the many things in life which can be tied to that one word.

Hope.

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please….

If you chose a word that would describe your upcoming year, or a word you HOPE will describe your year in 2012, what word would you choose and why?

Looking forward to reading your answers!

And here’s my HOPE for all of you….Have a Healthy and Happy New Year!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Darlene Steelman

December 31, 2011 at 1:49 am

Hey, Christine… wow.. I love this!
    Hope is a great word.

I know exactly what you mean about resolutions and all that at the beginning of the year. I never follow through, then I beat myself up.

My word this year: AUTHOR.
    I write, I blog, but I am not an author… 2012 is so my year!

Great post, Christine.

December 31, 2011 at 3:10 am

I love your word Darlene! Author….

2012 is your year….at least that’s my HOPE :)

2. Tomi Warnick

December 31, 2011 at 1:54 am

My word this year is Dreams..

Without them where would we be. I would still have Kate and Abby’s story stuck in my head and wouldn’t be able to share them.

Dreams give you something to focus on and reach for, similar to a New Years resolution but only better :)

Awesome post….. Happy New Year

December 31, 2011 at 3:11 am

Another great word….you are said it perfectly

“Dreams give you something to focus on and reach for, simlilar to a New Years resolution but only better.”

I love it…Happy New Year Tomi!

December 31, 2011 at 2:00 am

I no longer believe in resolutions either. Why bother.

But I love the word of the year idea.

So, my word for 2012 is Strive.

I will strive to finish and submit at least two manuscripts this year. I will strive to keep my blog updated and interesting. I will strive to be more successful with my Scentsy business. I will strive to make 2012 more successful and happier than 2011.

December 31, 2011 at 3:13 am

Perfect! I love your word too :)

I’m so glad everyone is as inspired by this WORD idea as me.

I HOPE you STRIVE toward your goals and meet or exceed them all :)

December 31, 2011 at 2:14 am

Wow Christine, this is DEEP! lol And I agree HOPE is a wonderful word.

I think there are many words I could choose but I will say Prayer might be the one for me. Prayer for family health (especially as Mtch and I get older), prayer for great sales, and writing, prayer that I recognize when God is at the wheel and I can just let go and let him drive when things get tough. I don’t do that as much these days and stress takes over. I need to settle back and just worry over things I can do something about and let HIM handle the rest.

Happy New Year girl!

December 31, 2011 at 3:14 am

Happy New Year to you too Calisa!

You picked a great word too…I’m thinking I should be writing these down to remember them for choices next year….lol

December 31, 2011 at 3:01 am

Hmmmm…Hope is a great one.

I think maybe FUN. There has to be some fun in life, and mine lacks it. More fun in everything…Family stuff, riding more, writing…

December 31, 2011 at 3:15 am

You are so right D’Ann….what is life without some FUN thrown in….great word :)

Now get out there and have some FUN! lol

6. Maeve Greyson

December 31, 2011 at 3:03 am

Excellent word: Hope. Without hope, I think mankind would’ve ceased to exist long ago. Thanks for such a thought-provoking post.
    :-)

December 31, 2011 at 3:15 am

Thanks for coming by Maeve….i’m hoping that you and are sharing the word HOPE :)

December 31, 2011 at 3:05 am

The only resolution I’m making this year is to not make any resolutions. Cuts down on the stress. My word for 2012: Write.

December 31, 2011 at 3:16 am

Exactly what I think Callie….which is the reason I like the WORD :)

Write is a good word, but don’t forget to follow D’Ann’s word and have some fun! lol

8. Valle Bower

December 31, 2011 at 3:23 am

I love your idea. I usually end up losing my list, and then I completely forget about what I’ve written down. With your idea of a word…it’s something that will stay with me, and I don’t need to go looking for a list. So, hmmm….my word would be.. succeed. I want to lose some weight, and finish this book, and that word covers them both. But, I like D’Ann’s word too. Well, in fact, everyone that has posted so far has great words.

9. ChristineWarner

December 31, 2011 at 3:30 am

LOL…you sound just like me. Sometimes I think my word should be indecisive…lol I liked everyone’s words too and yesterday when I was trying to come up with a word I kept going back and forth with so many….hence the indecisive part.

So glad you feel the same about the WORD as I do….though it’s not my idea, it’s inspiring for sure!

Here’s to HOPEing you SUCCEED with your word and in the process you have FUN!!!

10. Holly Jacobs

December 31, 2011 at 4:15 am

Christine, I “hope” your year is a great one!! LOL

Holly

December 31, 2011 at 4:31 am

Hey Holly! Thanks for stopping by :)

Just so everyone knows, Holly is actually the woman with the WORD idea :)….and her word CHANGE certainly impacted me :)

December 31, 2011 at 5:56 am

Great post, Christine. My word for 2012 is Relentless. I’m going to be relentless in pursuing my writing goals, relentless in guiding my children as they grow up so quickly, relentless in living each day without making excuses.

LOL. Guess I sound a bit militant next to your word of “Hope” and Calisa’s “Prayer,” but Relentless is the first word that popped into my head when I started the post, and I think it’s appropriate for me.

December 31, 2011 at 5:58 am

I think you’re making the right decision..the first word to pop into your head is probably the right word for you.

Hope was the first word I thought of…then I kept thinking of others and eventually I went back to the original :)

Good luck being relentless this year Ally!

12. Tereasa

December 31, 2011 at 7:10 am

I love this post, Christine! And love reading all the great words. I’m with D’Ann, we can lose joy in many things if the fun is gone. Even something that we love, like writing. So my HOPE is to find the FUN in my world again, be it writing or just breathing. My word is GRASP. To take each moment that comes my way and be happy.
    What a great uplifting way to start the new year!

Tere

December 31, 2011 at 8:00 am

Grasp…I can actually picture that action in my head….grasping for what you want and not letting go!

Happy you came by Tere…Happy New Year!!!

13. kendeldavi

December 31, 2011 at 7:57 am

I agree completely. I’ve had a lot of fun this last few months and want to continue that feeling for as long as it lasts.

December 31, 2011 at 8:01 am

Glad you dropped by Kendel :) Fun is a great word for the year and definitely something we should have daily!

Happy New Year!!

14. Jayne Fresina

December 31, 2011 at 8:06 am

My word this year is “Enjoy” to sit back, relax and start enjoying life before its gone

December 31, 2011 at 8:10 am

Love that one too! A perfect word, Jayne…you are so right, you have to ENJOY it and have FUN…that’s what it’s all about :) Thanks for coming by!

15. Lia Davis

December 31, 2011 at 8:13 am

That is a great idea. I have never really made resolutions. I more or less set goals to what I what to accomplish in the upcoming year. I guess that’s pretty much the same thing. But I look at it as a goal, because goals can be modified as the year goes on.

If I had to pick a word for 2012 it will be ACCOMPLISH. May everyone ACCOMPLISH all they set out to do. Happy New Year! :)

December 31, 2011 at 8:27 am

Great idea Lia….I talked with another friend today that also said he did goals for the same reason…you can modify them without guilt. LOL

Happy New Year….hope you ACCOMPLISH your goals :)

16. Jennifer Lowery~Author

December 31, 2011 at 8:17 am

Productive!! I really need to finish a first draft this year! I’ve been slacking so it’s time to set goals and finish a book! Fun post, Christine!

December 31, 2011 at 8:27 am

Great to see you Jennifer…Productive is a wonderful choice too….I love reading everyone’s word choices…. :)

Happy New Year!

17. Martha Ramirez

December 31, 2011 at 8:33 am

Awesome word. This is very creative! Enjoyed reading.

18. Mirriam Smyth

December 31, 2011 at 8:47 am

These are all such great words for the new year! I think mine is FINISH. I have hopes and dreams, wishes and thoughts (for my family as a whole and myself as an individual) that I just need/want to see finished.

Great Friday post, Christine :)

December 31, 2011 at 8:51 am

You’re right Mirriam…there are some great words and you just added another one!

So happy you dropped in to comment…Happy New Year :)

December 31, 2011 at 9:12 am

I think my word for the year is going to be Prolific. I plan to write a lot this year.

December 31, 2011 at 9:30 am

I’m with you Jerri….and HOPE we both succeed :)

20. Cheryl Yeko

December 31, 2011 at 11:12 am

My word is Love. That is what I want to surround myself with, immerse myself, to give and receive.

Just…Love.

-Cheryl

December 31, 2011 at 11:14 am

LOVE it :) Great choice….I HOPE you SUCCEED!

December 31, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Success.
    I picked this word because the last three years I have hoped, strived, busted-butt, and now I am ready for the success I hope comes my way.

December 31, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Hi Christine! I loved everyone’s special word.

My special word for the year is BELIEVE. Without belief in my abilities, I would never had courage to write. I believe in my crit partners’ work, that they will become successful published authors in 2012. I believe I have surrounded myself with the best in inspiration, people, and education. And best of all, my husband and kids believe in me!

December 31, 2011 at 2:19 pm

That’s a beautiful word..and I love all that stands behind it Sheri!

Happy New Year :)

23. Tabitha

December 31, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’m looking forward to a brand new year. I hope it is better than this last one. Me and my family have struggled so much this year. So my word would be fresh. Here’s to starting over with a fresh clean slate. Happy New Year!

December 31, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Fresh…another top word for the year! I HOPE your year is better than the last.

I’ve had a few years myself that I couldn’t wave off fast enough, so I so know how you feel :)

Happy HAPPY New Year Tabitha!

24. myrahmcilvainMy

January 2, 2012 at 11:04 pm

You hit it, Christine. Hope is the word for me. It gathers up so much and pulls it tight into my deepest places.

January 3, 2012 at 10:28 am

I’ll gladly share my word with you Myra! Happy New Year :)