22 Feb

Time for What to Read Wednesday…the GIVE AWAY VERSION!  Today we have another amazing visitor :)  Please welcome author Veronica Scott.  We’ll be learning a bit about Veronica and her latest release Priestess of the NileEvery commenter will be entered into a drawing for a PDF copy of Veronica’s book Priestess of the Nile…so let’s get started.

Thanks for joining us Veronica.  Please tell us about yourself in 6 sentences :)

I grew up in a house full of books spanning the range from science fiction to history and when I ran out of things to read, I inevitably started writing my own stories. I got married at 19 to my high school sweetheart, was then widowed quite young, now have two grown daughters, a very energetic 9 year old grandson and cats. I’m always reading, writing or on twitter (except when I’m at the day job or on the freeways!). I’m very happy to be here today, thanks for inviting me! (Hmmm, four sentences but kind of long ones!)

You’re a busy lady and I’m glad you don’t twitter while you’re on the freeway…lol :)  If you wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?

Never Gave Up, Never Boring!  (Must include the exclamation point LOL)

Great title!  What are the top three things on your bucket list?

1. Have a movie made from one of my books

2. Visit Australia & meet my writer/readers friends there

3. Have my wardrobe styled by Tim Gunn of Project Runway

How fun would that be to have a movie made based on your book!  What genre (s) do you write?

Mostly paranormal romance, but I also do science fiction romance.

Tell us how you caught the writing bug.

When I was a kid we lived in as pretty isolated area of upstate New York so I entertained myself with reading books – Robin Hood, Tom Corbett Space Cadet, Trixie Belden etc – and then I wanted to have adventures of my own, so I started writing the ideas down.

What is a typical writing day for you?

I have a day job so during the week I can only think about plots while commuting on the freeways. In the evening I try to write for an hour or two. On the weekends I get up really early, which is my most creative time of day, and just pound away on the keyboard as long as the muse is in the mood.

I do a lot of plotting while driving into work too :)  Share a blurb about your latest release.

Egypt, 1500 BC

Drawn to his abandoned temple on the banks of the Nile by an enchanting song, Sobek the Crocodile God is even more captivated by the sight of the singer herself. Appearing to her as a man, he learns she is Merys, a descendant of his last priestess. Though filled with lust, Sobek believes Merys deserves to be more than just his mistress. But the rules that govern the Egyptian pantheon forbid anything beyond a physical joining of a Great One and a human.

Merys is attracted to the handsome stranger, who arouses passions in her that no man ever has. But with no dowry and no hope of ever leaving her village, she dares not dream of the future—or love.

Sobek takes every opportunity to visit Merys, taxing his resolve to leave her pure. When he saves her life, their mutual desire must be sated. But can a love between a human and an immortal survive the ultimate test of the gods?

What was the hardest part of writing this story?

The hardest part of writing the story was during the editing, as I had to go back and layer in more details about some of the secondary characters, and my Critique Partner and my Editor said to add a few places in the narrative where the characters – and the Readers – could take a breath!

The easiest?

The easiest was writing the love between Merys and Sobek. The hero and heroine really “spoke” to me and that part of the story just told itself…

Now let’s play LUCKY SEVEN….Pick seven words to describe your book.

Romantic, Exotic, Exciting, Sensual, Heart Tugging, FUN!

What inspired you to write this story?

I enjoy the Egyptian setting and there was a challenge involved in taking a character like the Crocodile God through an emotional arc. He’s been around since the universe was created yet never felt true love, even though he’s been linked to at least four goddesses. He doesn’t really relate to humans until he meets the right woman! I also was intrigued when I realized he fit our modern paranormal definition of a shifter, so he could be fully human (and be very HOT). Then the story writing began…

I really find the Egyptian setting interesting too.  I’ve never read a romance set in that time, so I’m very intrigued.  And I know I’m a bit of a cover fanatic, but I really LOVE your cover…the color choices and font are perfect.  Enough gushing on my part…lol…Please share an excerpt of your book!

She turned her head to kiss his cheek and ran a hand over the hard planes of his chest. “Bek, I want to see you.”

“You have seen me, sweetling. And you gave ample evidence of being pleased.” He leered at her,head tilted, the crinkles at the corners of his eyes showing he was teasing.

She gave him a tiny frown at being thwarted in her request and pushed at his ribs. “I want to see you as your other self, as the Crocodile God.”

He regarded her with a grave face, all amusement gone from his green eyes. He seemed surprised. “Why?”

“Because I love you.” Merys feathered a kiss on his lips. “The crocodile is part of you. I want to see you in all your manifestations.” Can’t he understand that this is a last test of my worthiness to be his priestess? I don’t want him to have any doubts of me.

He looked away from her, blinking. “I’m fearsome to humans in my other form.”

She stroked his semierect shaft, which lengthened at her caress. “You’re fearsome in other ways, my lord, even in human form.”

He caught her hand, lifting it away from him and kissing her fingers. “Wretch! Consider carefully what you ask. Egyptians respect and fear me for good reason. If I appear in all my glory, complete with the plumed crown and the disk of the sun on my head, I will frighten you. I don’t want you to be frightened of me, Merys. It would break my heart.” He gestured across the river, where the Nile crocodiles slumbered in the moonlight. “They’re far smaller than I.”

Merys assumed a cross-legged position, hands folded in her lap. “I want to behold you. I won’t be scared, trust me. I told you, I’m of the priestess blood. A high priestess of the Crocodile God can’t fear his creatures or the Great One himself. Not in any form he might take, no matter what he might find it necessary to do.”

Leaning back on his elbows, Sobek grinned. “Perhaps I could just become half human, half crocodile for you, would that suffice?”

Merys shook her head. “No, I can see such a depiction in any wall painting in the temple. I want to see you, as the crocodile.” Dimples flashed in her cheeks. “I will grant you reprieve from wearing the crown with plumes and sun disk.”

Apparently unconcerned about his nakedness, he stood, dusted the sand from his hands and strode away from her, then glanced over his shoulder. His eyes gleamed golden in the moonlight.

Warmth pooled in her loins. He is so perfectly formed, all muscles and sinew. I’m the luckiest of women to be with such a lover, even if only once.

Small flashes of emerald light dazzled her eyes. Then a crackling roar erupted in the air, as if a great fire burned somewhere close by.

In the next second, a thirty-foot-long white crocodile lay on the sand, head turned toward her, golden eye slitted. Merys gasped. He glowed in the moonlight. He was huge, not only in length, but overall—maybe three times the size of the largest Nile crocodile. Entranced, she got to her feet. Draping her fringed shawl over her shoulders against the chill breeze from the river, she paced closer. He held perfectly still while she approached, as a crocodile does to lure prey, but Merys wasn’t afraid. His body armor shone iridescent, rainbows chasing each other across his dorsal ridges and sides.

He rolled one sparkling citrine eye at her. Words poured into her head. Well? Am I impressive enough for you, Priestess?

“Oh, Bek, you’re amazing.” Reaching out, she touched one of the gold-tipped ridges on his spine, running her hand along its length. His giant jade claws dug into the sand and he moved slightly. A tremor ran through his immense body. The tip of his tail twitched.

There’s a reason Osiris and Isis send me to resolve problems, deal with difficult situations. None can stand against me. I can even protect Pharaoh from black magic if need be.

She walked around him while his head swiveled to keep her in view. Slowly he curled his long tail in a big arc so she was completely encircled. No force on earth could get at me while you stand guard. Proud that he treasured her, she savored the feeling. A question stirred her peaceful enjoyment of the moment. “Does it bother you to be feared?”

I never considered it one way or the other until I met you.

Do you have a writing quirk, something that must be close at hand when you’re writing…such as a certain song playing, a particular snack within your reach or a certain pair of lucky socks warming your feet?

No, I’m pretty focused when I write, just need the free time, no distractions and not to be too tired. I often listen to my iPod, but just as background “noise”.

What are you working on now…and no I don’t mean laundry or dishes, I mean a current WIP? :)

I’ve got more stories in this connected series in various stages of editing and submission. I love Ancient Egypt and the ideas keep flowing. I just finished book #3, tentatively titled “Dancer of the Nile” and sent it to my Critique Partner.

Do you have any wise words to share with anyone out there on the road to publication?

The most important piece of advice is to WRITE, all the time, every day. Don’t doubt yourself, don’t edit yourself too soon, trust your voice and your muse.

And finally Veronica, where can we find you and your book?

Here are my links, although I must say twitter is where you’ll find me most often but I love adding new posts to the blog:

Priestess of the Nile  is available at Carina Amazon Barnes & Noble

Thank you so much for joining us today on What to Read Wednesday, Veronica….it was a pleasure to get to know you and learn more about your book :)

And to everyone else joining us today, please remember to leave a comment to be entered into a drawing for a digital copy of Veronica’s book!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Lia Davis

February 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Great interview! Loved the excerpt.

February 23, 2012 at 12:14 am

Hi Lia…so glad you came by and enjoyed the interview and the excerpt :)

2. Jolyn Palliata

February 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm

This book sounds amazing! I’m a bit obsessed with ancient Egypt – add a little steam and an interesting plot, and I’m salivating all over my keyboard. (Nice image, huh?) ;)
    Great interview, excellent excerpt, and a wonderful new author to discover. Thanks for the post, Christine! And I wish you all the success you deserve, Veronica!

February 23, 2012 at 12:15 am

LOL…I can relate to your image…been there myself :) Glad you came by. I’m with you, I love that this story takes place in ancient Egypt….will make for an interesting read.

3. Gene Yohannan

February 23, 2012 at 12:10 am

Great interview! I have also sworn not to Tweet while driving! Lol! Its tough not to be able to write when at the day job. I use my Kindle Fire Note pad ap to write notes & ideas so I don’t loose em when I’m busy w/other things. Thanks for sharing! 8-)

February 23, 2012 at 12:16 am

Love that you came by Gene…thanks :) I’m also glad you don’t tweet and drive..nobody should be that much of a rebel, right? lol

4. Cheryl Yeko

February 23, 2012 at 12:33 am

LOL…writer’s are so inventive! I love it…a Crocodile God. I’ve never seen that one.

Sounds like a good read!

-Cheryl

February 23, 2012 at 2:45 am

I agree…sounds like a great read! Glad you dropped in Cheryl :)

February 23, 2012 at 12:49 am

Great interview ladies, and an extremely intriguing book! Best of luck with it, Veronica.

February 23, 2012 at 12:53 am

The Egyptian setting intrigues me. There aren’t many written in this time-period. Christine- love the new blog design!

February 23, 2012 at 2:46 am

I’m with you Sharon….love the Egyptian setting. And thanks for noticing my new design…had the urge to spring clean a bit early and needed something different :)

7. Jennifer Lowery~Author

February 23, 2012 at 1:23 am

Great interview, book cover and title! Thanks for sharing :)
    Christine, I look the new look!

February 23, 2012 at 2:47 am

Thanks Jennifer….always happy to have you drop in :)

February 23, 2012 at 1:39 am

Loved the interview and love, love, love anything Egyptian. The 3rd book I wrote was a time-travel romance based in Egyptian time. Need to rewrite that story some day.

February 23, 2012 at 2:47 am

Hi Jerri….you should get that book out. I love the Egyptian theme…it’s so unique! Thanks for coming by :)

9. Tereasa Bellew

February 23, 2012 at 1:49 am

I think the cover is beautiful and even though I haven’t read a romance set in Eqyptian time, yours sounds like it will be my first! Great advice, too. Write without editing. I love that. And trust our muse. Excellent!

February 23, 2012 at 2:49 am

Hi Tere..glad you stopped in. Let me know how it works for you to write without editing. I’ve tried and can’t do it. I feel like I’m leaving unfinished work, even though it’ll eventually get edited. lol

10. sarahballance

February 23, 2012 at 1:58 am

It’s so great to “meet” you, Veronica! I’ve been entranced by this book since I was introduced to it via Six Sentence Sunday, but I’ve got to say that excerpt was amazing. The cover is gorgeous and … well, helloooo TBR list!

February 23, 2012 at 2:09 am

That was one drool worthy scene. I never though ancient Egypt would intrigue me…but it does!

February 23, 2012 at 2:29 am

Nice to meet you Veronica. If I ever run across an albino crocodile, I’ll know who it is! Great excerpt! It piqued my interest.
    Love the new look, Christine! Wish our homes could be made over in a day….lol

February 23, 2012 at 2:50 am

Thanks for coming by Denice!

As for the new look, how cool would that be to make over your home by clicking a button. I think I’d change things daily. LOL

February 23, 2012 at 2:53 am

I need this book! I love books set in Egypt. Elizabeth Peters is one of my favorite authors (I’ve read all of her Amelia Peabody books twice!). Great interview, ladies.

February 23, 2012 at 4:31 am

Glad you came by Ally…and happy that I keep adding to your TBR pile :)

February 23, 2012 at 3:38 am

Great interview! I love the setting of your book!

February 23, 2012 at 4:31 am

Thanks for commenting D’Ann :) I like her choice of setting too….very intriguing :)

February 23, 2012 at 4:49 am

I’ve always loved ancient Egypt. It was one of my dreams to visit and horseback ride by the pyramids. Probably won’t ever happen, but what the heck. Anyway, your story sounds awesome and I love the cover! Best of luck with it!

February 23, 2012 at 5:10 am

Oh…wow, your book sounds amazing. I loved the excerpt and your cover is beautiful. Congratulations to you.

February 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

Thanks for coming by and commenting Brenda :) I’m with you…beautiful cover!

February 23, 2012 at 5:31 am

Interesting concept. Croc, Egypt, priestess… Intriguing, Veronica.

Thanks for finding and sharing Veronica, Christine! You’re right. That cover is beautiful.

18. Martha Ramirez

February 23, 2012 at 6:59 am

Very nice interview. Egyptian settings always intrigued me. It’s one of my faves. Nice to meet you!

February 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hi Mart, glad you dropped in. Seems like a lot of us are finding the Egyptian setting interesting :)

19. Nancy LaPonzinay

February 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

Great interview … Egyptian settings are always among my favorites. I want to find DNA results from a mummy! Also, love Tim Gunn!

20. Cera duBois

February 23, 2012 at 11:20 am

Great interview… I’ve never read anything set in Egypt.. .Sounds interesting!

February 23, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I’m with you Cera…..but looking forward to giving it a read :) Thanks for commenting.

21. Isabella Macotte

February 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Great blog! Loved finding out about your personally and professionally. Your book is a must read, so unique and different!

February 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Thank you for visiting Isabella….I like how Veronica’s book is set in Egyptian times….looking forward to reading it myself :)

22. Joanna Aislinn

February 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Very nice interview, Christine and Veronica. I’ve read at least one love story–a suspense–also set in Egypt, and I loved it. Such a rich culture and so much to work with setting-wise. I loved your cover too. As Christine said, awesome colors and beautiful photography.

Best wishes!

February 24, 2012 at 10:17 am

Hi Joanna, thanks for coming by! I’ve never read a romance set it Egypt, but love the concept :)

23. Mirriam Smyth

February 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I’ve read your sixes from this book, I think that’s what they are lol, and they were amazing. Congrats on the release!

Great interview, Christine!