24 Feb

Isn’t it interesting how you go through so many events in your life?  Ones that at the time seem pivotal, earth shattering, life altering?  That moment in time when you feel you’re all grown up :)  Until you move on a little further in your journey and connect with something more…that takes the place of that last big moment, again making you realize you didn’t know anything when you experienced it, but you certainly do now.

That first day of school.  I remember my mother walking to the bus stop with me, camera in hand, as I joined my brother and sister and so many other kids in the neighborhood for the first day of school—my first day of kindergarten.  I was beyond excited.  Finally I could go to that magical place my brother and sister went to!  I was so grown up.

Going to the mall…without parental control!  The day we went to middle school to sign up for seventh grade was a huge event.  Afterward, two friends and I were allowed to spend the afternoon running wild in the mall.  I think we each had maybe $10 and 3 or 4 hours of freedom.  We hit all the stores, ate soft pretzels and sipped on pop.  We thought were we’re so grown up.  lol

The first school dance.  I felt so grown up.  A group of us all met at one friends house to get ready.  Helping each other with hair, makeup and changing our outfits a handful of times.  Clothes were scattered everywhere, like a cyclone had invaded the bedroom.  Finally being dropped off outside the middle school main doors to meet up with other friends.  We were in eighth grade.  We were so cool and grown up :)  (I’m the one on the end in the white dress…hehehe)

Driving alone.  That awesome moment when you can ask for the car keys, and you get to pull out of the driveway….alone!  Nobody sitting in the seat next to you telling you to slow down, watch out for the dog or the person switching lanes or the train up ahead.  My first solo ride I drove over to my friend’s house…the same friend who I went to the mall with alone for the first time and the same friend who had a group of us girls over to prep for our first dance.  I picked her up and we drove to McDonald’s…which at the time was the hang out.  Damn, we were so grown up!

That first job.  What a feeling.  :)  Not only could I drive on my own, but now I could go to work and earn a paycheck…made out to me!  My first job was at Burger King and it was a riot!  I worked with several friends and having that paycheck each week, with the responsibility to have a place I had to be at a certain time to earn it….certainly made me feel grown up!

Graduation.  Whew…a big one.  Finally, I’m adult and can do as I please.  I’m all grown up.  (yeah, right) lol

And in between and afterward you have the first date, buying your first car, voting for the first time, your first place, your first heartache, your first child, your first loss, your first pet…

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please…

What is the one pivotal moment in your life that you look back on fondly and know deep in your heart you wouldn’t change a thing?  That FIRST moment in time when you truly felt grown up.

Looking forward to reading your answers

Posted by on February 24, 2012 in Day to Day Life, Friday Fun Facts

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Cheryl Yeko

February 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Is it Friday already? lol.

-Cheryl

2. Mirriam Smyth

February 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm

That “moment” came when I got my first apartment when I was twenty. I’d saved enough for the deposit, first and last rent. But when I actually got the keys? Monumental moment. :)

February 25, 2012 at 1:48 am

That is a monumental moment! Thanks for commenting Mirriam :)

3. Tereasa Bellew

February 25, 2012 at 12:22 am

OMG, yes, Mirriam! First apartment, definitely. I shared mine with my best friend who was dating my brother at the time. It was like a Lavern & Shirley kinda thrill and I loved every minute of it!
    Great question, Christine! I’m looking forward to everyone’s trip back in time.

Tere

February 25, 2012 at 1:49 am

Sounds like fun Tere! I remember one of my friends and I talked about getting an apartment together, but never did…I actually moved out with my boyfriend, who ended up becoming my husband :)

Glad you commented Tere :)

February 25, 2012 at 12:44 am

Hi Christine (she waves)

Unfortunately, there is no pivotal moment in my memory when I felt truly grown up. It kinda just grew on me. lol

February 25, 2012 at 1:49 am

Maybe all your pivotal moments blurred together and it’ll hit you later. LOL

5. Loralee Lillibridge

February 25, 2012 at 1:13 am

Christine, I love your blogs, especially on Fridays! Never had my own apartment or car, but hey, FIRST KISS as teen was a moment to remember. Forget those kiddie kisses in grade school, okay? I was thirteen, he was fifteen, Yep, I remember feeling very grown-up right then, even though I had a lot more to learn. Probably a more mature moment was my first day working in the Finance Dept. on an Air Force base. Thanks for reminding me of moments I haven’t thought about in a long time.

February 25, 2012 at 1:51 am

Glad I walked with you down memory lane Loralee. You’re right, that first kiss is always a doozy…and that first “important” job is another huge step. Thanks for dropping in!

February 25, 2012 at 1:14 am

Meeting my husband. That was the catalyst for all those other wonderful moments–first house, first, second and third baby, first pet. The day I met my husband changed *everything* and I wouldn’t change it for a moment.

February 25, 2012 at 1:38 am

My first real kiss, in seventh grade. LOL
    Love the post,

February 25, 2012 at 2:05 am

When I got my first speeding ticket was a pivotal moment for me. And buying my first home…after working my a$$ off and saving every dime since 14 years old. At 22, I put a down payment on a double-wide mobile home – and she was ALL MINE. Hehehe

Great post!

February 25, 2012 at 3:01 am

WOOT WOOT…you ROCK Sheri….how awesome to buy your first house at 22. Impressive:)

February 25, 2012 at 2:38 am

I don’t think I’ve had that moment yet!

February 25, 2012 at 3:02 am

LOL….well now you have something to look forward to Jerri!

February 25, 2012 at 2:47 am

I’m gonna go with first pet. He was a dog who someone pushed out of a car along a fenced-in highway. Naturally I stopped to pick him up. I was in college and it changed all my plans because I had to move off campus and find a place to rent that allowed dogs. My first real taste of what it’s like to be responsible for someone other than myself.

February 25, 2012 at 3:03 am

Awww…I love that story Ally. That is a definite pivotal moment!

February 25, 2012 at 3:07 am

Moving to Nebraska – not only was it a little culture shock, but I was 700 miles from my family…so no running back to Mommy if something went a little bit wrong. That was my first ‘real’ TV job, too, so talk about jumping feet first into the deep end!

February 25, 2012 at 3:18 am

You did jump in the deep end…but what a way to do it. Moving to a new state and starting a new job. Thanks for sharing Kristi!

12. tamlee

February 25, 2012 at 3:10 am

I can’t think of any major moments, but I get a thrill everytime one of my kids or grand-kids smile and tell me they love me! Nice post, Christine.

February 25, 2012 at 3:19 am

Hi Tammy…those are pivotal moments..and some of the best! Glad you dropped in.

February 25, 2012 at 3:47 am

Moving to Texas from Colorado to live with my then-boyfriend, now husband. At 19.

February 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Very huge move D’Ann…must’ve been exciting at 19 :)

February 25, 2012 at 4:22 am

Probably when I got my first apartment. Well, I moved in with my sister, but I was in the city after living in the country for so long. Getting a job was scary, but I ended up really enjoying it, though I had to get two jobs to be able to pay my bills. I was lonely at times because my sister had her group of friends and she worked nights when I worked days, but going out to the local coffee shop and being able to sip coffee and write (it was a very artsy coffeeshop) was awesome. Having a hangout (a little bar by our apartment) where there wasn’t a lot of people, wasn’t a meat market, but a place we could go and have a beer and onion rings made me feel grown up. Loved those days. As a matter of fact, a lot of those memories spurred me into writing Yesterday’s Tomorrow.

February 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Great story Ceri…and wonderful that it stuck with you and inspired your writing :)

February 25, 2012 at 4:24 am

There were many moments in my life where I “felt grownup” but wasn’t really, lol. The moment I felt TRULY grownup was when I saw my son’s face for the first time. Being a mom just knocked me right into adulthood–even though I already was. I guess in my mindset I wasn’t until I gave birth to my first child.

February 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I know exactly what you are saying Brenda….it was like a huge invisible line being crossed and a total life-changing moment!

16. Lia Davis

February 25, 2012 at 7:10 am

The day my son was born. I was 19. :) Then again fourteen months later when my daughter was born.

February 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Having kids is something you just can’t explain. Almost out of the realm of a pivotal moment..if that makes sense :)

17. sarahballance

February 25, 2012 at 7:49 am

Getting married definitely counts, but when we bought our house that was pretty freaking big! ;c)

February 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm

So true Sarah :) Signing all those papers and seeing the payoff date almost choked me…lol

18. Nancy LaPonzina

February 25, 2012 at 8:40 am

My first day of clinical nursing … when I knew I was responsible for the patients under my care … whew, big step!

February 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Huge step…I can only imagine how that made you feel Nancy!

19. Martha Ramirez

February 25, 2012 at 8:51 am

I would have to say buying our first house next to the first day on a real job. Although everyone who would come to solicit would always ask if our parents were home.

Great post, Chris!

February 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

lol…you might not have liked being asked if your parents were home then, but there will come a day you’ll wish for it. LOL Thanks for coming by Mart :)

20. Cera duBois

February 25, 2012 at 11:59 am

Great post!! I think for me it’s a sad moment. The day my best friend in the world at the time died–my grandfather. I was ten yrs old, and he had been my playmate, and I had been his shadow. He took me everywhere–from the feed mill to the sale barn to plowing fields and making hay… I’d sit on his lap while he drove the tractor. He’d been dead for 32 years on Feb 11.

I realized the day my grandfather died, just how mortal we all are.

February 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I’m sorry. I feel for you because I’ve had several losses in my own life and each one breaks my heart in a different way.

I think, even though I’ve had a lot of loss…that the day my father died was the day it hit me how mortal we were and how quick life can pass by.

Thanks for coming by and opening your heart :)

21. Lynne Marshall

February 25, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Christine! Great blog and wonderful insights. You had my life playing out before my eyes with each point.

I would have to say I never felt so grown up as when, at eighteen, I put money down on my first car. It took me five years to pay that sucker off, but I never experienced such freedom as buying/owning my own car.

February 25, 2012 at 2:33 pm

It’s a great moment for sure! There are so many it’s almost hard to choose!

Glad you dropped by Lynne :)

22. Marcus Connors

February 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Getting married to my beautiful wife of almost 15 years, Meggan Connors. My parents have never been more wrong in their life, and I have never been more right.

February 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

Now Marcus…I love that! Meggan’s a lucky lady :)

February 26, 2012 at 6:10 am

This is such a memory lane post, Christine! So many moments to choose from. I think one that stands out above the rest was a date.

I had a lot of ‘boyfriends’ I hung with, ran around with dated without my dad’s knowledge, snuck out to see. But when my dad gave me permission to go on my first sanctioned date at sixteen- I’ll never forget that night. Mainly because I inadvertently almost got my date into a fist fight with a huge cowboy! Secondly, because less than a month later that man/boy I had such a crush on was killed in a car accident so it was our only date. But we had a great time that one night! Neither of us told my dad about the fight. lol

February 26, 2012 at 11:27 am

What a memory Calisa….sad but sweet at the same time. Loved it…thanks for coming by :)