What To Read Wednesday

07 Mar

I’m so excited because it’s already Wednesday, which means another round of What to Read Wednesday and the chance to learn about another wonderful author and their latest release.

Today we have author Angeline Bishop joining us and we’re going to get the chance to learn about her and her latest release North Star – Book One in the Sheridan series.

Let’s get started!  Welcome to What to Read Wednesday Angeline   Tell us about yourself in 6 sentence.

Thanks Christine. I’m very excited to visit your part of cyberspace.  So you want to know a few things about me.  Well, I’m a new multicultural romance author that loves the 3 ‘F’s (My family, My friends and My fans). I’m grateful for my close relationship with my mother even when she lives so far away. After a decadent February, where I had a love affair with Ghirardelli Intense Dark Chocolate and red velvet cupcakes, I’m back in the gym. My trainer’s nickname is Demon Spawn.  And the little kid in me just downloaded the Black Panther comic series to my Kindle Fire (you can thank my cousins Mike and Khalid for that).

LOL, love what you named your trainer, but I think I love the idea of velvet cupcakes more.  :) If you wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?

Grace Under Pressure: A Spiritual Autobiography

Let’s imagine you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

This time of year it would be Spain so I could experience the Cadiz carnival.  The Cadiz carnival is known throughout the world as a huge street party. It’s eleven days of non-stop fun, originality and, more than anything else, mass participation. The whole city is transformed, the streets are filled with people intent on having a good time and making sure everyone else has a good time, singing, and enjoying themselves. I think by the time you post our conversation, it will have ended but Spain would be the place for me.

Spain is on my list too.  I worked with someone who grew up there and loved hearing his stories.  What genre (s) do you write?

African American Contemporary Romance.

What is a typical writing day for you?

I love to write in the mornings before I go to work at the university and at night after dinner. I try to write, plot, and revise everyday.

Share a blurb of your latest release North Star – Book I, The Sheridan Series.

Caresse Aldana is chosen to persuade Psyche’s dangerously handsome editor-in-chief, Graham Sheridan, to feature an article on the Mason Community Center. She tells herself it’s just business.

She thought her heart wasn’t in jeopardy, but she clearly underestimated Graham’s charm, and his determination to win her heart. As their passion intensifies, disturbing mishaps at the Center place Caresse’s life in danger.

The highly anticipated Mason Ball fundraiser is in peril. Can Graham decipher the evidence, finger the culprits, and save Caresse before it’s too late?

Sounds action packed Angeline!  And your cover is amazing!  Now let’s play LUCKY SEVEN….Pick seven words to describe your book.

Family, Trust, Community, Love, Betrayal, Friendship, Passion

What inspired you to write this story?

I was inspired by the wonderful volunteers that work every day with our youth in community and after-school care centers. The generosity of spirit is so contagious and the youth benefits greatly from their efforts. When I sat and talked to a few people one person’s comment stayed with me.  She said she helped the kids at the center because focusing on her lack of a love life wasn’t going to bring her joy. It made me wonder what a volunteer would do if love entered the one place you hoped would hide you.

Love that :)  What is your favorite part about writing?

Creating new characters is the best part.

Your least favorite part?

Trying to write when my muse is on vacation.

Please share an excerpt of your book!

God, please change the subject, Caresse prayed when she saw the driver in front of her adjust his side rear mirror for a better view. He reminded her of the big, greasy guys that painted their upper torsos the color of their favorite team and tailgated in stadium parking lots. When he caught sight of her looking in his direction, he rubbed his fingers briefly over his lips and greeted her with a wolf-like smile.

Her neck tightened and bile churned her stomach. “Sicko,” she whispered into her Bluetooth when she returned to her sedan’s cabin and refastened her seatbelt.

“Yup, he is,” Yvette stated matter-of-factly. “And the only thing sickos understand is indignation. You need to give him a good New Jersey visual clue!”

“I’m a mother of two young daughters. I can’t go flipping people off, Vet.” Her mind raced with a hundred reasons to avoid aggravating anyone over something minor.

“The hell you can’t! A license to drive doesn’t mean you can leer at people and make them uncomfortable. I say keep your eyes on the road, Bucko!”

“I can’t let him tick me off.”

“Why not? Oh, is this the return of the woman that lets men walk all over her just because they can? I guess next you’ll be telling me it’s your fault he’s staring at you. How you shouldn’t have worn that outfit or—”

“Enough.” Yvette treaded on a very raw nerve. Yes, she had a past riddled with compliancy and peacemaking, but she was different now.

“Or what? You’ll start telling me some sob story about how his boorish mother deprived him from going to the prom with his pretty high school sweetheart. And now he only feels comfortable leering at attractive women from the mirrors of his car?”

“Enough!” she exploded. Leave it alone already, Vet. She breathed through clenched teeth. Without success, she willed her mind to stop mental images from the past racing into view. “I’m not that woman.”

“No? The truth is every time a man intimidates you, you revert back to the way you were with Keith—totally lacking in assertiveness.”

Caresse struggled to place the CD in her car stereo as Yvette’s biting words affected her. Her hand clumsily activated her windshield wipers. “Don’t dredge up the past. I don’t have to prove my self-esteem to you.”

“The hell you don’t!” Yvette confronted wickedly. “I’m beginning to think you need to go back and get a refund from that psychiatrist you use to visit. She turned you into some mealy-mouthed, docile lamb that vaguely resembles a grown woman.”

“You know what? Fuck you, Vet!”

She flipped the driver in front of her the bird with both hands. “And you, too!”

She unleashed a whirlwind of expletive-punctuated insults that would have made her mother gasp and clutch the pearls she wore around her neck. It was so rapid and explosive Yvette didn’t have a chance to interject a sound.

Caresse hated cursing, but when she was backed into an emotional corner, it was inevitable–she would go off like Mount Vesuvius. She wasn’t sure if living in New Jersey gave her a short fuse or if her constant skirmishes with inner demons did, but cursing out an annoying friend was exactly what her nerves needed.

At that moment, the eyes of driver in front of her widened in surprise, then narrowed ominously. He turned and gave her a penetrating glare over his shoulder. Caresse suddenly stopped and tried to pull air into her halted lungs.

The look on his face was unmistakable. He was pissed.

“Oh God!” she whispered as her shaded eyes darted around, hoping someone would help her if need be.

“So what, you cursed me out, big deal.” Yvette laughed into Caresse’s Bluetooth. “It felt good, huh? If you ask me, it’s about time. You know, all that consideration stuff you serve up gets on my last nerves.”

The angry driver in front of her kicked his door open with his foot, and he lifted his linebacker body out of the car in one quick motion. Part of her was in awe that a small Honda Civic could hold such a burly guy. The other wondered if he was capable of tossing her car and all its contents in the river beside them.

“He’s coming.”

“Who’s coming? The guy in front of you?”

“Yeah!”

“No way?”

“Now what, Einstein?”

“Hell, if I know,” Yvette mumbled.

Caresse locked her car doors and glanced around as the traffic started to move around her. Oh God! Oh God! His measured steps brought him closer to her vehicle. Do something! Do something now!

Loved the dialogue…great snippet!  What is the most difficult for you to write:  characters, conflict or emotion?

None of those, actually. I have difficulty ending the story.  My brain already knows the rest of the hero and heroine’s path, so it’s hard to keep it contained until the next book.  I guess that’s why series writing is so much fun for me.

Do you have a writing quirk, something that must be close at hand when you’re writing…such as a certain song playing, a particular snack within your reach or a certain pair of lucky socks warming your feet?

Okay, don’t laugh but I do my best writing in my lucky red Rutgers University pajama pants and my ‘Careful, you could end up in my novel’ tee shirt. I like my connection to the university and the support I get from the people there.

I want one of those tees!  What are you working on now…and no I don’t mean laundry or dishes, I mean a current WIP?

:) South Beach is book two in the Sheridan series and it’s been a blast to write.  Laila Sheridan and her old college girlfriends, Dr. Sofìa Vega and Marina Carter gave me a run for my money but the story of their vacation ended nicely.  Now I’m busy in the revision mode.

What 5 writing tips would you like to share with other authors or prospective authors with us today?

Write the novel that’s inside of you, not what’s hot or popular (Trust your voice). Believe your fans are there when it seems like your large fan mail and marginal book sales numbers don’t match up. Have a network of fellow authors that supports you in good and bad times. Work as hard as your publishing company to market yourself. And appreciate your readers for letting you entertain them.

Great advice!  And finally Angeline, where can we find you and your book?

You can find me at http://www.angelinembishop.com,

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AMB.Novels,

Twitter: http://twitter.com/ambishop1
Email: amb.novels@yahoo.com

And North Star is available at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and Soul Mate Publishing

Thank you so much for joining me today Angeline!  Much success to your book and your writing career :)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

57 responses to “What To Read Wednesday

March 7, 2012 at 7:39 am

Great interview, ladies. Best of luck with your books, Angeline. Many, many sales of both North Star and South Beach.

March 7, 2012 at 8:25 am

Thanks Callie. It was so much fun to talk with Christine.

2. ChristineWarner

March 7, 2012 at 7:42 am

Glad you dropped by Callie!

March 7, 2012 at 7:48 am

Demon Spawn? That is awesome! Loved the interview and excerpt.

March 7, 2012 at 8:04 am

Hey Ceri, glad you came by.

March 7, 2012 at 9:15 am

Hi Ceri. Yeah Max hates that nickname but he’s always wearing red and black, and only smiles when I’m in struggling to complete an exercise. I think it fits. Thanks for stopping by.

March 7, 2012 at 8:01 am

Great interview! Love the premise of your book.

March 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

Thanks for dropping by Sharon…I love the premise too…and the excerpt was a fun read!

March 7, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thanks Sharon. I think the people that give back to the community have many reasons for doing it. Caresse loves children but she’s also trying to get over a bad divorce so burying herself in community service seemed to be an answer to her prayers. Well it was until a change encounter.

I want the readers to see love can really happen anywhere.
      You can try to hide but that little Cupid guy will find you. :-)

5. kristinaknightauthor

March 7, 2012 at 8:16 am

LOVE cover and premise. Thanks for the interview, ladies!

March 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

I’m with you Kristi…love that cover. Thanks for dropping in.

March 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

Thanks Kristina. I hope you and everyone will visit my website. I’m having a contest to give away a Canon PowerShot SX230 HS digital camera this month. If you have an email, facebook, or twitter account you should enter. It’s easy!

March 7, 2012 at 8:41 am

What a fun idea Angeline! And your website is gorgeous by the way…love the layout, very easy to read!

6. Ann Montclair

March 7, 2012 at 8:18 am

Angeline Bishop is more than a writer: to me, she’s a role model. Her dedication to peace and justice shines through every page of her novel, and one can see determination and heart in her eyes as well. Thanks for a beautiful interview.

March 7, 2012 at 8:37 am

Ann,

Woman! You know the feeling is mutual. Having a fellow author in the trenches with me has been so helpful. Whenever I’m feeling a little discouraged you and author BJ Scott are right there to remind me there are readers for every genre and to walk my own journey as a writer.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

7. Neecy Kelly

March 7, 2012 at 8:24 am

Nice to meet you, Angeline. What that woman said to you at the youth center is so true! “She said she helped the kids at the center because focusing on her lack of a love life wasn’t going to bring her joy.”
    Everyone needs love, and no one more than children.
    The world needs more people like you!
    Your book sounds fab, too!
    I wish you the best of luck with your sales.

8. AM Bishop

March 7, 2012 at 8:41 am

Thanks Neecy. I love your name it reminds me of Neecy Nash, I use to watch her all the time on ‘Clean House’. I’m sure you are just as giving and funny as she is. Maybe even more. I never met a Neecy that wasn’t great at giving advice so I hope everyone will take yours and help more of our children.

Thanks for the well wishes.

March 7, 2012 at 8:52 am

Fantastic interview, ladies! Angeline, you have a wonderful sense of humor and your book sounds great. So nice to meet you.

March 7, 2012 at 8:55 am

Hi Jennifer….always happy to have you stop by. Thanks for commenting!

March 7, 2012 at 9:17 am

Hey Jennifer, it’s nice to meet you too. Thanks for stopping by and please enter my North Star Canon PowerShot contest on my website. I’m giving the winner a digital camera this month. (See http://www.angelinembishop.com for more details.)

March 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

Great interview, ladies, and the book sounds fab!

March 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

Thanks Jerri. I really appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment. Christine was wonderful to work with. The interview was a lot of fun.

March 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thanks for coming by Jerri!

And Angeline….it’s been a treat to have you hear and to learn about you and your book! Glad we met :)

March 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

Hi Angeline. It’s nice to meet you! Hi sister!

I LOVE the excerpt! So spoil me, is the tailgater dude the hero??? :) Your series sounds like a riot! I love Yvette.

12. AM Bishop

March 7, 2012 at 9:23 am

Sorry, no spoilers here but I will tell you it seems everyone loves Yvette Mason. She’s a minor character in North Star but she has so much flare and wit that readers ask me about her all the time. Right now she’s single and busy running the popular Mason Community Center but I’m sure love will find her soon.

March 7, 2012 at 1:55 pm

ooohhh…am I hearing you right? Are you planning a story for Yvette? She is a fun and sassy….it’d be a fun story to read about her and her love story!

And Calisa….xoxoxox….thanks for visiting!

March 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hi Angeline. Love, love, love your excerpt. I can’t resist humor in my romance and am looking forward to reading both books.

14. AM Bishop

March 7, 2012 at 10:05 am

Thanks Ally. I hope you’ll enter my March contest too. Nothing is more exciting that to win something you can use and a Canon PowerShot digital camera that also records HD video is a great prize. I really appreciate your support.

Thanks again for stopping by and I hope you’ll enjoy reading North Star.

March 7, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Glad you came by Ally…I’m with you, nothing beats a bit of humor mixed in with romance.

15. D'Ann

March 7, 2012 at 10:22 am

Great interview! The book sounds great!

16. Michael Stevens

March 7, 2012 at 10:25 am

Hi Angie, Great Book!

March 7, 2012 at 10:31 am

Thanks Mike,

I glad to see my cousin stopped by. He’s the one that got me hooked on comic books as a kid and shares my love for Chess.

Big hugs to you and the family. :D

March 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Love family support! Hi Mike…glad you came by :)

17. AM Bishop

March 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks D’Ann. Hey, is that your horse? I miss riding, I hope to get back to it this Spring. If you live out west, please let me know. I’m going to start research for ‘Wild West’ pretty soon and I would love to know where I should go to visit a working ranch.

March 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

Write the novel inside of you… True words! Awesome writing.

19. AM Bishop

March 7, 2012 at 10:39 am

Sheri,

I think we need to say that more often. Writing is not about following the biggest trends in book sales, it’s about your passion. That’s why books by Christine, Ann, BJ, Callie and many others are so inspirational. All of our voices are different and yet there’s still a place for all of us. The literary world is wide and varied and that’s the beauty of it. The readers can gravitate towards the stories they relate to.

Thanks for stopping by.

20. Judy Lynn Hubbard

March 7, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Loved the interview and your excerpt! Your cover is fabulous! I used to be a die-hard comic book reader myself (loved X-Men, Archie and the Fantastic 4). I’m adding your book to my long TBR list. Great success to you!

21. AM Bishop

March 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Judy.

I’m glad there’s another romance novel and comic book lover out there. I kow it’s not cool to say we read our brothers and cousins’ comic books but at least were reading. LOL Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Christine and I are having a lot of fun reading everyone’s responses today.

March 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm

That we are Angeline!

And Judy…so nice to see you here. I received your release with Harlequin and can’t wait to read it!

March 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm

LOVED your excerpt.
    I really enjoyed the interview–questions and answers.

23. AM Bishop

March 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Thanks Brenda. Christine made the process so fun.

March 7, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Hey Brenda…glad you came by….and I love the excerpt too….great characterization Angeline!

March 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Thanks Christine. :)

24. sarahballance

March 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Awesome interview, ladies! Angeline, you’re a new to me author and it’s so great to “know” you now. You’ve got me missing Spain, lol. I went to the 1992 World’s Fair in Seville and saw many of the venues for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics (which hadn’t yet opened) and it was AMAZING. Such a beautiful place! And your photo is gorgeous, and the excerpt fantastic. Way to hook me! ;c)

March 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

So glad you came by and got the chance to meet Angeline, Sarah! You’re right her photo is gorgeous and her excerpt fantastic. Glad I could introduce you to another awesome author!

March 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Thanks Sarah. I read every thing I can get my hands on about Spain. And don’t get me started on Spain’s Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia. Their love story is so divine; I’m so glad he married a divorcee that was once an award-winning CNN journalist. Talk about a happily ever after.

Oh, I really hope I’m lucky enough to travel there one day.

25. Lia Davis

March 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Great interview and excerpt! Sounds like a wonderful story.

March 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Thanks Lia. I really appreciate you stopping by.

March 7, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Thanks for dropping in Lia!

26. Cera duBois

March 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Great interview, ladies!

March 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Thanks Cera but I was really just following Christine’s lead. She’s a great interviewer.

March 7, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Thanks….glad you came by!

27. myrahmcilvainMy

March 7, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Thanks for another great interview.

March 7, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Thank you for coming by Myra…always wonderful to see you :)

28. ChristineWarner

March 7, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Thank you so much Angeline for visiting me on What to Read Wednesday! Loved meeting you and getting the chance to interview you and learn about your book!

Much, MUCH success to you and your writing career :)