30 Mar

My youngest son and I were having a conversation this week, the type you have where you reminisce from days gone by and share childhood stories.  We were talking about things that had happened in his life.  Events from when he was younger that he had fond memories of.

The first day of kindergarten, the first time a friend came over after school, when he learned to read.  He even asked about the art picture that I’d had hung up for years, but finally took down not long ago to store away for later.  We discussed past vacations and got to talking about pictures from some of those trips, especially the camping trip to Ohio where we camped with my nephew and his wife and kids.  We had many great pictures from that trip, my hubs in his boat, the kids at the campfire roasting marshmellows to just silly shots of everyone.  Then we laughed as we discussed how he used to go with me to yard sales and one in particular he begged me for a helmet, in case he fell down was his reasoning in wanting it.  LOL  And how at another sale he talked me into getting a kitten.  (That’d me Smoky, he’s a great cat)

And it all ended when he brought up his worst Christmas ever.  Apparently I messed up and didn’t get him—I mean Santa Claus didn’t get him—any of the gifts he wanted.  (Yes, I do remember that day well.  Right after he opened his last present he huffed that this was his worst Christmas ever.)  At the time my heart broke, but now it’s a funny story.

There were so many stories and events and we had quite a few laughs.  After we quieted down he asked me how old he was in that picture?  How old was he when he learned to read?  How old was he when we got Smoky?  Or when he had a friend over for the first time after school…the list went on and on.  The funny thing was it seemed like every answer I gave him he was either five, almost five or had just turned five.

Yep, even at the ripe old age of 5, he’d had his worst Christmas ever.  Sad that it only took five years, but I think after that he’s had some pretty good ones.  lol

Anyway, we joked five was his lucky age, the year he’d had the most fun and memorable events.

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please…

If you could go back in time and be any age you wanted…a particular age maybe that you have the fondest memories, or did something spectacular, which age would you pick and why?

Looking forward to reading your answers!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. divasatwork

March 30, 2012 at 3:48 am

Hey Christine, what a nice post! I loved it. I would have to say that a pivotal age for me was 7. It was when my world changed, for the better, and it was at this age when I travelled for the first time to a different country – and fuelled a life long love of travel. At 7, I realized so many things – that hard work has its rewards, and unconditional love is the most important thing of all for a child. Thanks for making me relive those days that are now a fond memory.

March 30, 2012 at 6:03 am

Thank you for coming by to comment! So glad I could help you relive some memories. That is exactly what happened with my son and I, and it was a great time :)

2. Natalie G. Owens

March 30, 2012 at 3:51 am

Sorry, this posted under my other email…

March 30, 2012 at 6:03 am

Natalie…I enjoyed your post and am so glad you came by to comment!

March 30, 2012 at 6:17 am

5. LOL Actually 5 was a pretty good year. We took a trip with the Classic Car Club of America-a caravan from Minnesota to the west coast. We “climbed” Mt. Ranier, went to San Francisco, went to Disneyland. Sure our car (a gorgeous old Daimler) broke down out there and we had to take a Greyhound home, but that was part of the adventure. I really started remembering life at the age of 5.

March 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

Ceri, maybe that’s what is magical about 5…that’s when you really start to collect memories. I have lots of fond memories from that year too!

Thanks for coming by.

4. Tereasa Bellew

March 30, 2012 at 6:52 am

Great question Christine, and fun reading everyone’s comments. I was about five and fondly remember meeting my southern cousins for the first time in Missouri. I remember catching minnows in crystal clear streams, eating charred hotdogs in someone’s backyard, and renting a pillow to share with my brother on our train ride home. I even remember the smell of the station and all the noise. What an adventure that was!

March 30, 2012 at 8:40 am

That sounds like some awesome memories! A train ride…love that…and of course charred hotdogs are the best! Thanks for coming by to share :)

5. Neecy Kelly

March 30, 2012 at 8:20 am

I’d pick the age thirteen, starting out in Jr. high school! Everyone was new, it was fun and I think it was my best year. Fell in love! Had my first kiss, and life seemed great!

March 30, 2012 at 8:41 am

Love it Denice….those sound like amazing memories too!

March 30, 2012 at 9:39 am

I’d have to go with age ten. We moved from a tiny town in northern Michigan to a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. My world really opened up and the possibilities seemed endless. New house, new school, new friends and new opportunities. Of course, at my current age I’d prefer the tiny town in Michigan, but my ten year old self loved the new opportunities the move provided.

March 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I so get what you are saying. When you are 10 an adventure in a city would be awesome…but as we get older it’s nicer to be in the country and a bit removed. Glad you came by to share Ally :)

7. Mari Collier

March 30, 2012 at 10:11 am

Nice post. Good question. I’ve heard that a national poll determined that middle thirties was the pick of many people. I don’t believe I would want to return to any time. Leaving that time and the one or ones I love would be very difficult. I’ve heard others say, “You could do something different and change things.” I doubt it. People and events don’t really change and there is no way to know if the ultimate outcome would be better or worse if you did change something.

March 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Good answer….really makes you think things through. I guess the dreamer part in me would like to go back, but the common sense part of me would be afraid of what I’d change…because I have to admit, I like things as they are :)

Thanks for coming by to comment.

March 30, 2012 at 10:56 am

22. At that age my husband and I had just married and moved over 600 miles away from our families due to his job. The people he worked with were all his age. We played hard, worked hard and had the time of our life that first year of marriage with no responsibility other than Mon-Fri 8-5 when we had to work. I would go back to that in a heartbeat.

March 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I bet that was an awesome time Sharon! Wouldn’t it be fun to revisit even if just a week? Glad you came by!

March 30, 2012 at 11:23 am

I rapidly came up with ages because they represented milestones in my life. But your question asked for a more personal answer than that. And I’ll have to say it was when I turned 23. I had just bought my first house and found my first roommate. She was an aerobics & weight lifting instructor, and hauled me to the gym with her everyday from day one. I went from a size 13 to a size 3 in less than a year. Not only did that give me confidence I never knew I lacked, but it also landed me my first “real” date.

BRAVO! on your blog today!

March 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Love it Sheri….I can only imagine how fun that time was! Thanks for sharing :)

10. D'Ann Lindun

March 30, 2012 at 11:39 am

Hmmm….tough one. I guess I was about three, and learned to ride horses. I went with my dad everywhere…and I have never lost the desire to ride to this day.

March 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm

You found a love early in life…great memory D’Ann :)

11. saukra

March 30, 2012 at 11:54 am

Excellent and thought provoking post.
    After much mulling over, I would have to say 10–the year my dad bought my sister and I Buttercup, our first pony.

March 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm

That must’ve been an exciting year. My sister always wanted a horse, but she ended up with a cat…lol. Loved your answer :)

12. Martha Ramirez

March 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm

What great memories. I would say I would want to go back to before the age of 13. I lost my mom at 13 and have so many fun memories of her. It’s part of why memories are so precious to me. Just going back to being a kid for a second would be ever so nice. The again, Let’s Dance Wii always makes me feel like a kid again LOL.

Nice post, Christine! Thanks for sharing your memories with us. Enjoyed reading.

March 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’m sorry about your mom, but glad you have some great memories of her. I lost my mom about 5 years ago, and think of her everyday. She still makes me smile:)

Let’s Dance Wii..I might have to try that one out….I have the Wii fitness and love the hoola hoop..that makes me feel like a kid again! lol

March 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Great post! I would go back to when I was maybe 10 and we would play football/softball at my Grandma and Granpa’s with my parents, cousins, sisters, aunts, uncles, grandparents. It was a blast. Ah, childhood memories…

March 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Exactly….Ah, memories!

Thanks for coming by Jennifer.

14. Sara Walter Ellwood

March 30, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Great post…. I’d go back to when I was about 8 or 9 when my granddad was still alive. He was so much fun.

March 30, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I have some fond memories of my grandparents too! Thanks for coming by Sara :)

March 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I think my Lucky Age would have been 10. That was the year we went on our first real family vacation, I had my first crush on a boy (who also crushed on me), summer of horseback riding and freedom. It was also the last year my family was a complete unit before my parents divorced. I also remember that Christmas as special, more so than others had been. It wasn’t in the gifts I got. I remember that as the year I began to meditate on my life, blessings, in the silent twinkle of the tree lights. Each year since I find myself sitting in the dark and just thinking about life, my life. Great topic again, Christine! Thanks for the jog down fond memory lane.

March 31, 2012 at 9:18 am

Your memories sound wonderful Calisa! And here’s another fun fact proving we are sisters…I also sit in the dark with the Christmas lights twinkling at Christmas time and reflect on many things. It’s very peaceful and renewing :) Thanks for sharing !!!

16. Mirriam Smyth

March 30, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Hmm… It’s not a *young* age, lol. I’d go back to 22, which was just nine years ago. I got married at 22 and while it was a terrific wedding (60 people, no frills, lol) I’d do it again and change everything. I’d tell people to show up in whatever they wanted and I’d get married in jeans and a comfortable shirt. :)

March 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

I’m with you there…all about the comfort factor Mirriam! My hubs and I eloped and afterward we had a small get together…very casual and relaxed. Loved it!

17. sarahballance

March 31, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I don’t think I’d want to go back (the thought of it is exhausting, lol) but to pick an age I’d say 18. I met my husband not long after I turned 18 (he was 21) and we were inseparable. Not a worry between us, the world was all about hitting the beach and the next time we got to see one another. I still get those butterflies all the time (seriously!) but they all go back to all those firsts from that first year. That year changed my life in the very best ways. *grin*