13 Apr

This week I started a new WIP, which is always exciting.  Once I started writing, I discovered something wasn’t right.  Something I couldn’t put my finger on.  Now, I’m not a panster, but I’m also not an in depth plotter.  I do a quick outline to cover the major plot points and character traits/quirks and go from there.  Well, apparently that wasn’t enough this round.  I didn’t like the direction the heroes personality was headed, the backstory didn’t work with what I had planned for later and the reaction of the heroine to the hero was all wrong.

So, what do I do when I’m stumped and need to rework a scene, plotline, or anything writerly related?  Either I clean, play ball with the dog, brainstorm with a friend or cook.  Thursday was a day of cooking while I multi-tasked and discussed my issues on speaker phone with a friend.  For some reason cooking helps me think, as does driving.  (but with the price of gas I try and reserve my road trips for occasions when I NEED to go out)  Plus, I know better than to talk on my cell while I’m driving and I didn’t want to miss my friends suggestions. :)

In the kitchen, happily slicing, dicing, mixing, blending, braising, sautéing and all the other fun kitchen functions that are required to make a meal, I soon noticed I had plenty of clean up ahead of me.  Not my favorite part of spending time in the kitchen.

One of the reasons for that is when I’m cooking or baking I tend to use a lot of dishes and utensils.  Did I mention I use A LOT?  And I also don’t have a dishwasher, which means I have to wash A LOT of dishes and utensils by hand.  Now usually this doesn’t bother me, but there are days I’d rather toss out all those dishes that need washing and buy new…lol…if that were an option.  To not have a dishwasher was all my choice because when we built our house I was the one who opted out in favor of having the cupboard space.  Most of the time I don’t regret my decision.  But…isn’t there always a but? :)—there are times I do.  Like when I’m in major cooking mode.

I have to admit, if I could go back in time—after today especially—I’d take that dishwasher offered when the kitchen was in the planning stages and store any extra dishes in the pantry…or a box in the basement…lol

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please…

What one appliance do you LOVE that you could absolutely not live without?

Looking forward to reading your answers!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

April 13, 2012 at 6:22 am

It’s a tie between my coffee maker and my microwave. I also love my toaster oven. But ya know, I’d trade them all in for a washer and dryer. I’d be in domestic heaven if I had my own washer and dryer!

April 13, 2012 at 9:22 am

I struggled with the coffee maker too Ceri….and I hope you get a washer and dryer soon…it makes life a whole lot easier :) Glad you came by!

2. Tereasa Bellew

April 13, 2012 at 6:46 am

I could not live without my coffeemaker. I have to have that programed and ready. And the mircowave is priceless for days when I forgot to take anything out of the freezer. But could you imagine getting up and starting a cook stove?! My MIL had one and whenever we went to visit we’d hear her rustling around hours before time to get up. Dishwashers are nice but since I don’t put the pans in there, I still end up with my sinks full. It sounds like Thrusday was fun and productive, Christine! Good luck wth the new story. : )

April 13, 2012 at 9:25 am

Now that it’s Friday, I’m over my dishwasher fantasies…I think it was just the fact when I turned toward the sink and saw that mound of dishes I went into a slight panic. LOL

And yesterday was productive….of course I wanted to write more than I did, but at least it’s all figured out and will be smooth for my next writing day :)

Thanks for coming by Tere.

3. @torymichaels

April 13, 2012 at 7:15 am

Microwave, without a doubt. I like to bake, hate to cook. Dishwasher’s a very close second though. Since hubby cooks (when my in-laws aren’t living with us – 29 days to go!), I do the dishes. Dishwashers are my friend!

April 13, 2012 at 9:28 am

LOL…When you have lots of peeps who make lots of dishes…dishwashers are your friend. Another time I want a dishwasher is Thanksgiving..without a doubt. Thanks for coming by Tory!

April 13, 2012 at 7:39 am

This is very timely for me since we’re in the middle of the Kitchen Remodel from Hell. For 10 days I was without water in the kitchen. Since then I’ve been without my garbage disposal and I can say it’s been HELL.

How am I supposed to cook without a garbage disposal? How do I clean off my dishes? I’ve considered buying a few pigs and putting them in the backyard to feed them my scraps. I’m sure the dogs would love them.

So my garbage disposal gets my vote.

April 13, 2012 at 9:29 am

Oh yeah, I’ve had a garbage disposal on the wish list too….but have never gotten one yet…at this point I’ve given up. Hope the remodel is going smoothly….been there a few times with our first house, remodeling the kitchen is taxing for sure!

5. Neecy Kelly

April 13, 2012 at 8:00 am

I couldn’t live without my WASHER. Could you imagine using a scrubboard to wash your clothes? Shoot me now! LOL
    Fun post, Christine!

April 13, 2012 at 8:17 am

Dishwasher!!! Another fun post, Christine :)

7. Jerri Drennen

April 13, 2012 at 8:17 am

That would be the Microwave, Christine, because it gets used a lot. By the way, I have a dishwasher I never use.

April 13, 2012 at 9:31 am

When my hubs and I were first married and lived in an apartment I had a dishwasher I never used either, except to store pots and pans in. LOL…we weren’t brought up with a dishwasher in the house so it’s something I’ve never really missed…except for certain occassions!

Thanks for coming by Jerri!

April 13, 2012 at 8:27 am

Sorry Christine, but I’d have to say dishwasher. This is a close second, but not exactly an appliance. Right after college I lived in a house with no central heating (the accomodations for my horses were more important than where I lived!). I had to get up at 4:00 a.m. to take care of the horses and make a fire in the wood stove and still make the two hour commute to work. Chopping wood is not my favorite activity.

April 13, 2012 at 9:31 am

UGH….I wouldn’t like that either. Are we spoiled or what? I just take that central heat for granted….shame on me.

Thanks for coming by Ally!

9. larissahoffman

April 13, 2012 at 8:37 am

I’ve lived without a dishwasher, which is not fun but doable. I’ve also lived without a garbage disposal. I’d have to say washing machine. Who wants to go to a laundrymat?
    BTW, I consider driving and cleaning the zen of writing. My best ideas come to me when I’m doing those mundane chores and not concentrating on writing. The shower is always a good place, too.;)

April 13, 2012 at 9:33 am

Laundrymats are no fun! But when I used to have to go, I did get a lot of reading time in between loads…hmmmm

YAY..glad you are like me Larissa…solving story issues are easier in the car of cleaning….

Thanks for coming by and commenting!

April 13, 2012 at 8:54 am

dishwasher. Hands down. I can deal with my blender to make smoothies or the microwave…but I loathe dishes.

April 13, 2012 at 9:33 am

Great, now I’m craving a smoothie…strawberry and banana please! lol Glad you came by Kristi!

April 13, 2012 at 9:12 am

I sympathize sistah! Ugh. Growing up it seemed I always, ALWAYS, got stuck doing dishes. For a family of six who often had extra family moving in (gramma, aunt w/2 kids, other) that made for a LOT of dirty dishes. I remember doing dishes at 6-8 years old. Sometimes with help from older brother or sister- usually not though. How did that happen? And not only that- when someone else did do them there seemed to be one or two loads LESS for them to wash than I always had! WTH!?

I’m a lot older now and with arthritis which makes standing in one place for extended periods of time painful at times, so when we bought this house I pushed for a dish washer… to the point that I willingly gave up the extra cabinet section to have one. But my characters keep me company while I do dishes and I miss that with the dish washer. I hate unloading it though and will sometimes wash by hand because that’s always been my thinking time.

April 13, 2012 at 9:35 am

Another point of sameness…I got stuck doing dishes all the time when I was younger too…it was the worst chore ever…at least back then. Truthfully, I really don’t mind doing them much anymore…I guess it’s a habit and I usually keep up on the task so there aren’t many. But yesterday I think I was fantasizing because I had a book to write and who wants to wash dishes when they can write? LOL

12. Victoria Adams

April 13, 2012 at 10:12 am

Dishwasher – no let me rephrase that – DISHWASHER!!!!!!!!!! I hate washing dishes. All the other household tasks I can deal with – but not dishes.

I also muddle through plot problems by baking – family loves it when I’m stuck that means there are cookies and a cake and possibly some spectacular dinner.

Fun post.

April 13, 2012 at 12:11 pm

LOL..love that I’m not the only one who cooks when problem solving on a WIP! Glad you came by Victoria!

• Lyndall

August 11, 2014 at 10:10 pm

It’s wofndreul to have you on our side, haha!

13. D'Ann Lindun

April 13, 2012 at 11:10 am

Microwave. That’s all.

14. Lynne Marshall

April 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

My coffee maker. Though I desperately need a new diswasher, so I’m quickly learning I couldn’t live without it either. Well, I could, but I’m lazy! Plus – my husband is a sweetie and hand washes the pots and pans after I cook dinner, so maybe he’d wash them all? Hmm, it’s a thought…

April 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Hmmm….good you are thinking ahead. I mean if your hubs will just wash dishes, maybe you can use that dishwasher money for something fun!

15. Mirriam Smyth

April 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm

If my husband were reading this he’d roll his eyes and say, “Easy. Your coffee maker.”

LOL I’ll have to agree! And the only reason I’ll agree is because when we moved last year, I made the mistake of packing the stupid thing FIRST (which I never do). I was without a coffee maker for a month! I usually don’t even pack it – just throw it in a box the day of the move put it in the passenger seat of my car. And I got a rude awakening that month when, for 31 days, I had to buy coffee and found out how expensive it can be! Then I found McDonald’s makes coffee for $1 and it is “oh my goodness” good! :)

April 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Oh yeah….I’m with you on McDonald’s coffee…it’s yummy!

For some reason I’m picturing you buckling your coffee maker into the front seat when you move next..no box or anything…well, maybe a comfy blanket. LOL

Thanks for coming by Mirriam!

16. Jenna Jaxon

April 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm

No question–the dishwasher. I’ll go to the laundrymat without a qualm if something will wash my dishes! I’ve always HATED doing dishes. Great post, Christine. Glad you got work done!

April 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Ooooh not fair to make us only pick one because I couldn’t live without my coffee maker–well I guess I could. But I would have to light the woodstove and heat the kettle, then pour the boiling water into this old coffee maker thingy I have for camping. I couldn’t live without my blow dryer and hair straightener. Well I guess I could, but I would look hidious. I couldn’t live without my dishwasher–well I guess I could, but I’d have dishpan hands. So this leaves me with my vacuum. I could not live without my vacuum–well I guess….nope, no guessing about it–I could not live without my vacuum cleaner.

April 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm

And as I was writing this post Brenda…I thought of you and your vacuum! LOL

18. Cara Neuman

April 13, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Washing machine most definatly. Nothing like having to go to a laundry to do it, all that loading & unloading & loading & unloading etc..

April 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Been there, done that..and I didn’t like it either! Thanks for coming by to comment xoxox

19. MarthaJRamirez

April 13, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I love to cook too! Hmmm I would say my microwave since I defrost everything first. Good question! Great post!

April 13, 2012 at 7:13 pm

The microwave is great for defrosting isn’t it? Makes those meals that you need to make in a hurry and werent’ prepared for very easy :) Glad you came by Mart!

April 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Does it have to be one appliance? Okay, then how about a combo washer/dryer/refrigerator/microwave/dishwasher? I’ll go back to perked coffee. Liked the smell of it better, anyway.