27 Apr

So this week I had lots of hours that I could have written.  The key words are could have.  I did manage to get a little done, but it was a week of struggle and I just wasn’t feeling creative, even though I’d started a new project.  That alone usually excites me so much I can’t keep myself away from the keyboard :)

I kept finding things to make me get up and move away from my computer.  Odd little tasks that need to be done—eventually—but nothing pressing.  You know the chores I’m talking about—going through the closets for items to donate, rearranging the wrapping paper caddy, straightening out the spice cupboard, re-potting a few plants and finally—in desperation—cleaning out my purse.

Purses are funny things.  No matter how big or small, they seem to become the designated catch-all for me as well as anyone who I’m traveling with who doesn’t carry a purse of their own.  I remember when the kids were small my purse carried crayons, small toy trucks, snack cups filled with goodies, drink boxes…just to name a few.  And if my husband was with me I managed to fit in the camera, his wallet, a ring of 25 keys…lol…that seemed to usually happen on vacations.

No matter if I tried to outsmart them by carrying a smaller purse, it still managed to be the place to fill and would end up bulging from the sides and things spilling out the top.  Not to mention no fun to carry :)

Anyway, as I procrastinated from doing anything writerly, I emptied out my purse one item at a time.  I found some odd things that just don’t belong in a purse.  I think I had about 50 pens…lol, a thousand receipts (all mangled and ripped…yep, they must’ve been in there since the turn of the century…lol…and the sad thing is that I switch my purse out every few months…so not sure how I managed all those receipts), an expired credit card, a key of unknown origin, a few gum wrappers, a paperback book, notebook (just in case I get a good idea for a story or a wip…good thing I had all those pens), one earring, so much spare change I could buy myself lunch out tomorrow and invite a friend…oh the list seems endless and I can’t believe it all fit.

Toward the end, as I scavenged in the darkened depths, I started to feel like a magician.  I held my breath, sure I’d drag out a furry white bunny by the ears.

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please…

What is the oddest thing you’ve either carried in your purse for yourself or a loved one—or found while cleaning it out?

Looking forward to reading your answers!

Tags: , , , , ,

April 27, 2012 at 6:17 am

I didn’t really have one, but my husband used to say I had a log chain in my purse because it was so heavy.

April 27, 2012 at 8:42 am

I think I must have one in my purse sometimes too Jerri! LOL Glad you came by :)

2. Tereasa Bellew

April 27, 2012 at 6:59 am

I love this question Christine and you’re not going to believe what I had in mine. Hubby and I often go to the movies on Sundays and shortly after the new theater opened, the prices skyrocketed. DH almost had a heart attack. And so one time after dinner as we head off to the movies, he wrapped a snack and gave to me to smuggle inside my purse. Later, while I had the pricey but o-so-good buttery popcorn, he ate a porkchop sandwich! Luckily it was the early show and not too many others there. Thanks for a fun post!

April 27, 2012 at 8:43 am

LMBO…I love that Tere! Now that is a definite rarity…I really thought you were going to say he had you make popcorn and shove that in your purse..but a porkchop sandwich…LOVE IT!

3. Joanna Aislinn

April 27, 2012 at 7:19 am

Pretty much anything can wind up in my bag too, Christine, and seems no matter how often I go through it, my purse is a disaster again. These days the phone charger always seems to be there. I used to carry sea salt; someone who deals in essential oils mentioned putting a grain or two on my tongue during the day would encourage me to drink more water. Uh yes, that works, lol.

I do try to keep one thing there all the time: a large dark chocolate candy bar. You know, for when I ‘need’ it. ;)

April 27, 2012 at 8:44 am

A candy bar is top priority in a purse…I’m just afraid it’d get buried in mine. LOL…thanks for stopping by Joanna!

• Joanna Aislinn

April 27, 2012 at 11:57 am

You’re very welcome, Christine. I’m happy when my choc bar winds up buried; I often fine it when I need it most, lol. Happiness is knowing it’s there, often several weeks at a time ;)

4. Cheryl Yeko

April 27, 2012 at 7:42 am

Hi Christine. Cute article. I love purses and have many.

My favorite is a small wallet type purse that is easy to carry. But whenever I go out with my husband I have to upgrade my purse size, depending on what we are doing, to carry his stuff. LOL.

-Cheryl

April 27, 2012 at 8:44 am

Men just love to have you ‘carry’ there stuff in your purse don’t they? :) Glad you came by to comment Cheryl!

April 27, 2012 at 7:49 am

I have all the usual stuff that you mentioned. I have since downsized to discourage anyone from putting stuff in my purse (btw, it doesn’t work. They STILL put stuff in your purse–they just shove it in).

But one day while at work (I work retail), I was ringing up someone’s stuff and she put her purse on the counter. Out popped this tiny dog! It shocked me nearly to speechlessness. I said, “Um. Do you know you have a dog in your purse?” She said, “Yes.”

THAT’S the weirdest thing I’ve seen in a purse.

April 27, 2012 at 8:45 am

Okay, that’s another funny purse surprise. Pair that lady up with Tere and her porkchop sandwich and that little puppy is all set! Thanks for coming by Sharon :)

April 27, 2012 at 9:02 am

A fishing lure, lol! Always carrying stuff for my hubby! Great FFF this week, Christine!

7. sarahballance

April 27, 2012 at 9:12 am

Ugh. I am the receipt queen. I leave them in there “until I can check the bank” (I use debit for everything) and four months later I have a jungle and end up tossing them w/o verifying. I check the bank every day anyway, so I’d have noticed if something was off, right? Ugh! <Irresponsible. (LOL!)

Okay, strangest thing was an umbilical cord stump. One of the kiddos lost it while we were out, and I stuck it in my purse and forgot about it for a few days, at which point I had to figure out what the heck it was.

April 27, 2012 at 10:18 am

DING DING DING…we have a winner. I have to admit I would never in a million years think of finding that in a purse. LOL

Sarah, you never cease to amaze me, while making me laugh!

8. Julee J. Adams

April 27, 2012 at 9:23 am

I was in an airport and the x-ray machine was down so they had to hand search my handbag and carry-on. The officer kept looking in my purse, looking at me, back in the purse and finally let me go. I waited until I got on the plane and saw I had a butter knife in that pocket I’d taken into work to cut brownies. Guess she worried (pre-9-11) I was going to try to hijack the plane with it…..

April 27, 2012 at 10:55 am

LMBO…too funny! I can only imagine all the things that they come across in luggage and purses. What a job! Thanks for coming by Julee.

April 27, 2012 at 9:27 am

I always find things in my purse that I have no idea about. I blame most on my 3 year old…actually. Your post inspired me to check my purse and here’s what I found – a pair of socks (clean, no idea why), the usual wallet and 500 pens, hand sanitizer and a knife. Butter knife. Why? I have no clue. Who put it there? I’m not knowing, but I’m betting on the kiddo. Good thing I didn’t try to get through airport security this morning…

April 27, 2012 at 9:35 am

This one is a little icky. Last summer we stopped at the petstore while we were out running errands and bought some frozen mice to feed our cornsnakes. It was 110 degrees out, so I stuffed them in my purse so they wouldn’t thaw in the car. Then I forgot they were in there and didn’t find them until late the next day.

April 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

HAHAHAHA…now that could be kind of scary!

I can’t believe all the fun answers I’m getting…too fun!

Thanks for sharing Ally :)

11. Victoria Adams

April 27, 2012 at 11:06 am

I have hated carrying a purse for forever. So there are no surprises in mine – it’s down to the basic minimum – wallet, cellphone, agenda, kleenex and lip balm.

April 27, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I think lip balm is a definite must have….along with Joanna’s chocolate bar! Thanks for coming by Victoria!

12. Mirriam Smyth

April 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

Rocks! And empty snail shells. LOL My daughter thinks my purse is a safe or something. Whenever we head out to walk our neighborhood, she picks up rocks and shells and pockets them until we get home. I always thought she put them on our balcony but didn’t realize until recently that she was sticking them in my purse under my wallet where she KNEW I wouldn’t look! Smart kid!

April 27, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Love it Mirriam…she is a smart one. I just hope she doesn’t graduate from rocks and shells to something live. *shivers*

• Mirriam Smyth

April 27, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Oh we’ve already been down that road, lol. She stuck a beetle and a few ladybugs in there once. Another time was a rollie-poley (spelling? not sure if that’s the right word for those bugs, lol) and a grasshopper. The grasshopper scared the crap out of me – stupid thing jumped out of my purse when I was looking for my chapstick!

13. Mari Collier

April 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I’m too short to carry a really large purse. It means I can’t stuff it like others. Perhaps the oddest thing was a clip of bullets my husband handed me when going camping. He wanted them accessible. I gave them back at our destination. The next was the storage receipt/card access for a friend’s storage unit. He gave it to my husband who gave it to me because he knew I wouldn’t lose. A year later the friend asked my husband for said card. Husband replied, “I told you to give it to Mari. I don’t know where it is.” Both were fortunate. I was in the room and heard them. It click it my mind and I dug out their card.

April 27, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Oh Mari, you sound organized! I would never have been able to find that card…let alone remembered him giving it to me. LOL

Thanks for coming by!

14. myrahmcilvain

April 27, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Boot hooks to pull up my son’s boots when he was a chubby pre-schooler. He’s now 50 and pulls up his own.

April 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm

The oddest thing I found on the bottom of my purse was the petrified body of a blue-belly lizard. All his toes had broken off, which meant they, too, were somewhere scattered amongst the lining crumbs. I never found out how it got in there, but I’ve got a pretty good guess.

• MarthaJRamirez

April 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm

OMG wow! Did you jump when you found it?

• Sheri Fredricks

April 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm

LOL, nah. You know me, I just pulled the poor thing out…and put it under one of the kid’s pillow. Hehehe

April 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm

LMBO…okay, so glad that was you and not me!

April 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm

HAHAHA….Okay Sheri..now that’s something I would’ve done! AWESOMESAUCE!

16. MarthaJRamirez

April 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm

That’s a good question! Lint? But that isn’t that odd LOL. I’m running a blank but your’e right, when kids are young every goes in there!

17. Nancy LaPonzina

April 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Mostly old receipts, pennies, and tissues … oh yes, and like you, thousands of pens! LOL. It’s the pennies that weigh the bag down so much that I sigh and then empty it out!

April 27, 2012 at 7:56 pm

That’s for sure…all that spare change gets heavy!

Glad you dropped in Nancy!

April 27, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Great post, lol. My purse is always full of crap. All I really need in there is my wallet and keys, but it is full of reciepts, about 6 pens, two pencils–both broken–two cell phones–one that doesn’t work anymore. I have a pocket knife that has a nail file, pair of scissors, screwdriver, bottle opener, cork screw–why do pocket knives always have a cork screw?

My kids are older now, but somehow there stuff still makes it into my purse: headphones, Ipod, cell phones, etc, etc.

April 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm

LOL Brenda…I think the same thing…I need my wallet, keys and phone….and chapstick….but I have WAY more than that. Even when I buy smaller purses thinking I’ll outsmart myself…it doesnt’ work.

19. D'Ann Lindun

April 28, 2012 at 12:10 am

Would you believe I rarely carry a purse? A wallet, or just a little cash in my pockets.

April 28, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I wish I could travel so light! I’m jealous :)

20. Cera duBois

April 28, 2012 at 8:25 am

I used to carry a tiny little thing… more wallet with some space for a come and a lipstick… That was all i needed… Then I had kids…

Do I need to say more?

Great post!

April 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm

You’re bringing back foggy memories…I think I used to carry a little purse…or no purse at all. Oh the good old days. LMBO…glad you stopped in Cera!

21. Joye

April 28, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I always carry one of my nice forks in my purse when I go out to eat. Aren’t the tines on forks in restaurants so wide you can not pick any food up with it or stab something.?
    When my boys were little I taught them to pull their pockets out before I did their laundry because…….one time I freaked out when I checked one of their pockets and a couple of wooly worms crawled over my hand as I pulled it out of the pocket! Said kid now is a biology teacher.

April 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Love the idea about teaching your boys to pull out their pockets! I never pulled out a creepy crawly, but missed some candy or pens in a few pockets and paid the price. UGH!

Thanks for coming by Joye :)

22. stevenloweryauthor

April 30, 2012 at 10:20 am

Very funny intro, Christine! But, I don’t carry a purse…though many times I wished I did! (A man-bag, maybe?) When I go somewhere, for a day trip or whatever, my purse closely resembles a wal-Mart bag-or several of them. Include: 1 flat blade screwdriver, 1 phillips head, 2 adjustable wrenches. Oh! And a roll of duct tape. (you can fix just about anything with said tools) I suggest everybody should have the tool kit in their purse! Also, I usually have food and candy, a book-of course, etc. Sometimes i don’t clean-out my plastic hand bag for a while. There-I told on myself. Probably why I can’t find some wrenches! Anyway, love your site!

May 1, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Hi Steven! I’m so glad you came by my site! I love yours too. And you are so right about duct tape…believe it or not I’ve seen where teens have made prom dresses and purses and so many other things with the colorful duct tape. Google it, you’ll be amazed it’s duct tape. LOL

23. stevenloweryauthor

May 2, 2012 at 7:52 am

Good morning Christine. I’m struggling with my limited computer skills today! But i’m sure you’ll get this reply. Your ending for the story Monday was x-tra Sweet! Loved the kitten (please don’t tell anyone I started to tear) and your last line, ‘Good Nite, After all.’
    A few years ago in Canada for a week of fishing, Boat bottom struck rock. Big hole. Emptied and dry on its side we attempted a fix…Duct tape to the RESCUE!!! Never leaked a drop all week.
    To end: Love your site! Thanx for being a Writer and Friend.

May 2, 2012 at 8:02 am

You’re welcome Steven…glad you like my site and also glad you liked my finishing to your story start…that’s such a fun idea! I’ll be seeing you on your blog again soon….and thanks for coming by mine!

24. Cara Bristol

May 2, 2012 at 8:44 am

Fun post! One thing I’d like to add to the discussion is that the reason men don’t carry purses is because their wives and girlfriends do. “Here — put this in your purse.” Women are the pack mules of the family! One thing I have to carry are Band-Aids — so when my husband hurts himself, I can take care of it.

May 2, 2012 at 8:46 am

LMBO…exactly Cara! I think they are in training as toddlers and move up to the big stuff when they get married.