11 May

I’ve always loved games—card games, board games, video games…pretty much any type of game.

This week I was going through my vast collection of games that have been stored in the basement.  Some from when the kids were small, and some from when my husband and I used to host “Game Nights”.  Loved game nights—we’d invite several couples over and generally we’d do a theme and everyone would bring a dish to pass that went with that theme. We’d play loud, riotous games of Pictionary, The Newlywed game, Balderdash—and many more.

Anyway, I’m getting off track.  Going through this massive stack I knew it was time to either donate some of them to Goodwill or send a few home with my daughter the next time she’s visiting.

I had a great time sorting through them and found it hard to believe how many I’d kept.  There were games purchased years ago when my kids were small.  Remember HI-HO Cheerio or Guess Who?  I loved playing those games with the kids.  I think sometimes I enjoyed playing the games more than them.  We even had the Barney memory game…lol.  I’m sure none of my kids would confess to loving Barney now, but they did.  He was the coolest purple dinosaur in the land.

It made me reminisce about games we played as kids.  One of my all time favorites was a game called MYSTERY DATE.  My mom picked it up at a yard sale when I was a kid and I remember playing it with my sister and the neighbor girls on the front porch.  I think that’s when my love of romance began.  Lol.  We all wanted to open that mystery door and find the hot guy with the white tux coat smiling back at us.

Another favorite was OPERATION.  I begged my mom to play all the time. Probably drove her crazy.  For some odd reason I even toyed with the idea of becoming a doctor…lol But one nice thing about that game, it was easily played solo.

And of course there were all those old time favorites like LIFE, TROUBLE and MONOPOLY (which I played endlessly in the summer with a neighbor friend on rainy days or after the streetlights came on and we had to come inside…we’d have games go on for weeks…lol).

My brother and I used to play WATERWORKS and that was fun, but not many people seem to remember that game.  I know he also liked what I always referred to as “boy games”…you know, RISK or STRATEGO—those are the only two I can think of because usually he ended up playing them with my cousin, who—I swear—had every board game ever made.  LOL

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please…

What’s a board game you have the fondest memories of from your childhood?

Looking forward to reading your answers!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Jerri Drennen

May 11, 2012 at 6:13 am

Used to play Battleship as a kid. But a new one now is Apples to Apples. Hours and hours of laugh-out-loud fun.

May 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

I loved Battleship….we also used to play that when the kids were little and we camped a lot. Never heard of Apples to Apples…might have to check it out!

May 11, 2012 at 6:21 am

Oh, we loved games! We played Monopoly but to cut down on time we dealt out the properties like they were playing cards instead of having to buy them. Then we’d trade for what we wanted. Seemed like a good way to play. We also played games like Rack-O and Mille Bourne (I probably spelled that wrong) which were more like card games. And of course Hi Ho Cherry O! Fun!

May 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

We used to do variations on Monopoly too, to shake things up! Love it. Thanks for coming by Ceri :)

3. Darlene Steelman

May 11, 2012 at 6:22 am

Wow – love these games.. Never heard of Waterworks, though.. :( Apples to Apples is so hilarious.. A group of us play once in a while. Always guaranteed for hysterics.

Great post, Christine!

May 11, 2012 at 8:46 am

It’s been years since I played Waterworks, but back in the day it was fun :) I’m really going to have to check out Apples to Apples. Thanks for commenting Darlene :)

4. Nancy Jardine

May 11, 2012 at 6:26 am

Cluedo, Monopoly, Pictionary…but I also played Mastermind(varieties) I also have a boxroom full of games!

• cheeb65

May 11, 2012 at 6:58 am

Oh, I loved Pictionary! And Trivial Pursuit! How could I forget those!

May 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

I love Pictionary too…and Guesstures…and way to many more to list. Glad you dropped in!

May 11, 2012 at 8:48 am

Oh oh Nancy, sounds like you have as many games as I do! Thanks for coming by:)

5. Nettle

May 11, 2012 at 6:41 am

Lovely post Christine, and gosh you got me thinking. It’s got to be Draughts, may be called Checkers over there. I was on my primary school team and loved that game so much. Thanks for reminding me!

May 11, 2012 at 8:48 am

Never heard of Draughts, but checkers was always fun…and backgammon too!

6. cindydwyer

May 11, 2012 at 7:10 am

We played SORRY! all the time. But no, we weren’t really ever sorry.

May 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

LOL…nice one Cindy! I loved Sorry too…and Trouble…and Parchessi…

7. Tereasa Bellew

May 11, 2012 at 7:26 am

Our babysitter would set up a card table outside and my brother and I would play dominos. Then more often we’d play Old Maid or Go Fish. I would have loved playing that Mystery Date game. It looks so…romantic!

May 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

Loved Old Maid…and Go Fish! OH MY..can you see the issues I have with games. LOL Thanks for coming by Tere :)

8. J.D.

May 11, 2012 at 7:35 am

I’ve been playing mostly video games the last few years. :) What can i say, technology caught up with me. As to board games one of my favorites was always Monopoly.

May 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

I like a lot of video games too….especially Tetris, Dr Mario…Loopz….those are oldies now, but were fun years ago….Thanks for coming by :)

• J.D.

May 11, 2012 at 9:00 am

Mario! He’s definitely a favorite around here. My brother got me into Playstation, in recent years, so I’ve been doing more Lara Croft and Final Fantasy-esque things.

• Calisa Rhose

May 11, 2012 at 9:21 am

Yep. My dds got me hooked on Mario years ago and I still hold a fondness for that little guy- though I preferred Luigi. lol

May 11, 2012 at 8:52 am

Another ‘boy’ game I played was Battleship. I think I still have one I found more recently at a yard sale somewhere in storage. I think my fondest memories were family night with Monopoly. My parents usually spent weekends at their fave bar visiting friends they seldom saw, so whenever we had a family night weekend it was special. But once I had kids it was Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders, Life. But I think my all time fave was and is- Dominoes. My dad and I used to always play Dominoes. Oh- and one I loved as a kid, enough to buy just to have a few years ago- Barrel O’Monkeys!

May 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

Loved Barrel o Monkey’s…played that with my kids when they were small…though we usually had to buy a new barrel because those pesky monkey’s seemed to take off for better lands. LOL

• Calisa Rhose

May 11, 2012 at 11:15 am

Yep- I found half my barrel this morning… lol

May 11, 2012 at 11:43 am

LOL….just in time for the weekend!

May 11, 2012 at 9:22 am

I remember Waterworks!! My biggest memory of it was during the blizzard of 1978 and we were ALL stuck in the house with the wind howling outside and snow drifts up to the roof (I kid you not). My dad and I would sit in the dining room and play Waterworks.

I have a funny story about Candyland. I loved that game and would force my mom to play it all the time. When I was older (oh, about 12 or so), I was going through these old canisters she had and found all of the Candyland cards that had pictures on them! I discovered that my mom hated the cards with pictures because a lot of the time they made you go backward and the game was never ending. So she hid the cards so all we we played with were the cards that made you go forward. LOL!

I have to admit that I MIGHT have done the same thing when I played with my kids ::sheepish grin::

May 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

I remember the Blizzard of 78..we had snow drifts up to the roof too…and no power for over a week…it was awesome (at least from a kids perspective). I remember my mom cooking in a pot in the fireplace…and the made dash to the cold cold bathroom. UGH!

Love your Candyland story…too funny! Mom’s can be so tricky *wink*

May 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

Monopoly, for sure. My older brother and I used to have all-night, Monopoly death matches (loser would have to do something *awful*)… So it’s probably no surprise that Monopoly is one game I hate playing now.

May 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

Love the dare element you added to Monopoly….nice one! Thanks for coming by Kristi!

May 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

I was not an inside type kid. And when I was inside, I read, never a big fan of games. But outside, we played a lot of ball, roller skating, bike riding, etc.

May 11, 2012 at 10:20 am

Oh we did all that stuff too outside. We weren’t inside a lot either, unless the weather was bad or it was after street lights. But I’ve always loved games…thanks to my grandma :)

13. Karyn Good

May 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

I loved playing Clue! And Trivial Pursuit! My brother and I would attempt board games. I don’t remember which ones specifically. I do remember all the cheating that went on in an effort to win :D

May 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

Clue was awesome…a fav of my grandma’s….so of course a fav of mine too! She was also a huge card game lady…Kings on the Corners and rummy! Oh the memories!

May 11, 2012 at 10:24 am

Operation (which my neighbor had but I didn’t – so jealous), Mille Bourne (a French card game involving cars) and Uno. Trivial pursuit when it first came out. So many fun games. We have zillions at our house, too.

May 11, 2012 at 11:42 am

Loved operation…I’ve never heard of Mille Bourne, but love card games. And Uno…awesome card game…you were lucky to grow up with so many games….I was always jealous of my cousin…lol

15. D'Ann Lindun

May 11, 2012 at 11:30 am

Life. Clue.

But my childhood and young adulthood wouldn’t be complete without Scrabble with my grandma and grandad Linscott. My grandad was a hoot. He cheated, but he was so much fun we didn’t care. My all time fave was Chinese checkers with him. Miss you, Grandad.

May 11, 2012 at 11:43 am

Aww..nice memory D’Ann!

I love scrabble too..always have and always will. Have had the board game as well as the computerized version…can’t get enough of words!

Thanks for stopping in!

May 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Wonderful post this week! I remember all these games! Takes me back…Our favorite was Mystery Mansion! Oh, the little treasure chests, the scary house, it was so much fun. I even bought the game on Ebay a few years ago to play with my kids. Thanks, Christine!

May 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm

ooohh…Mystery Mansion sounds like something I’d like. Glad you enjoyed the post Jennifer!

17. Nikki Barret

May 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Oh gosh, board games! Monopoly was always a biggie, Trouble. There was a card game in my middle school years that everyone was playing called Speed. When I left Texas and came to Arizona, I was living with my family in a mobile home park and I taught everyone there the game of Speed. Then came this electronic memory type game called Henry. I LOVED that game and recently found it on Ebay and my husband bought it for me lol. Now I sit there and play with with my 3 year old. He doesn’t get the concept of the game yet but he sure loves pushing buttons for all those sounds.

Video games were big for my family growing up. My parents both played RPG’s together, and my brother played them at a young age. I love, love love Tetris! Now I have a video game lover of a husband and he is aiming to collect one of each game console ever made. I think we’re up to 30 or more, not counting the double ups from what I had when we got together.

May 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm

My boys are huge video gamers..and we have several different consoles too. I still like the original Nintendo along with the games Tetris, Loopz and Dr Mario…fun fun fun! But you can’t beat a good board game.

I’ve never heard of Speed…and I loved TROUBLE….love that clicky bubble. lol

18. saukra

May 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Monopoly, Trouble, Sorry, Risk, Mastermind–I have fond memories of all these games.

• Brenda

May 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm

LOL, this is me, Brenda.

May 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm

LOL…I love those games too Brenda….well, I have to truthfully say I didn’t play Risk or Mastermind..those were games enjoyed by my brother & cousin! Thanks for coming by!

19. chitsuen

May 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm

It was Candyland or bust for me when I was a small child. Recently I saw a Candyland cake someone made on the evil Pinterest and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. :) Btw, happy Friday folks!

May 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Happy Friday to you too! I love the Candyland cake idea…I might have to google that!

20. Mari Collier

May 11, 2012 at 7:40 pm

You aren’t going to believe this, but the only three board games we had when little was Chinese Checkers, Mah Jong (which we didn’t know how to play), and checkers. When I was about 10, Papa and Mama bought a monopoly game. Loved it. Otherwise we played pinochle with our parents or my older brother and wife when they visited. That was brutal as both my father and sister-by-marriage remembered every card shown in a meld and played.

May 11, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Mari, I’ve never played pinochle…I should really learn that one and see if I like it. I’ve only ever played Maj Jong on the computer…and game we played with my dad was Cribbage…I love that game. My father wasn’t a huge game player, but that was one you could always get him to play.

Thanks for reminding me of that…thanks for coming by!

21. Mae Clair

May 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

What a fun post, Christine! I had completely forgotten about Mystery Date until you mentioned it, but I loved it as a kid. Also Clue and Battleship. To this day I still love a good boardgame!

May 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Me too Mae…and if I had Mystery Date handy I’d be begging my sister to come over! lol

Thanks for stopping by :)