10 Jul

Welcome to What to Read Wednesday! Today we have multi-pubbed author Callie Hutton returning for another visit. She is talking about time travel which is the theme of her latest release A TUMBLE THROUGH TIME!

You’re going to enjoy her excerpt and drool over her cover :)

So, without further chit chat from me…take it away Callie…

Time travel has always fascinated me. I love the idea of being able to see how people looked, dressed, ate, and conducted their lives on a daily basis in another time.  I’d like to see what the world looked like before all the modern inventions and conveniences we have now. I often wondered what would I miss the most? Probably hot showers and a modern bathroom.

I’ve read a lot of time travel books, but my favorite remains Jack Finney’s Time And Again. I also loved Michael Crichton’s Timeline, but my all time favorite romance time travel is A Knight in Shining Armor. A lot of readers didn’t like the way that one ended, though.

It always intrigues me so see how the author gets their characters back in time, and whether they stay there, or return to the future. Before I wrote A Tumble Through Time, I did a short survey on Facebook as to how readers liked to see the book end. Past or future? The opinions were about evenly divided, but the overall consensus was, it really didn’t matter as long as there was a happy ending.

And have you ever noticed that most time travelers are women? Is it because they’re more adaptable? Or, since most time travels are romance, authors generally aim at a female audience? What I find amusing is the traveler in my favorite time travel book is a man. But that one is really not a romance, either.

In A Tumble Through Time, my character, Anna Devlin, is your usual twenty-first century woman. Not exactly a bad-ass, but definitely not ready for long dresses and ‘knowing her place.’ Wes Shannon is a marshal with demons that plague him. They help each other heal. Were they brought together for that purpose? You’ll have to read it to find out.

How about you? If you could travel in time, what time period would you pick, and if you could bring three things with you, what would they be?

tumblethroughtimefinal

Blurb:

Anna Devlin, a recently jilted bounty hunter is a modern woman from the twenty-first century. She is anxious for the hearing that will reinstate her law enforcement career, but an encounter with a strange Native American woman sends Anna back in time to the year 1870.

Federal Marshal Wesley Shannon of Denton, Kansas, has no idea where this woman with the strange clothing and way of speaking came from. Since he fights his own inner demons, the last thing he needs is an attraction to a woman who has given him no clear idea who she is.

But when danger arrives in the form of stagecoach hold ups where drivers and passengers are being killed, Anna torments Wes with plans to help him bring in the outlaws.

Will Wes be able to keep Anna out of harm’s way, or will his attraction to her distract him enough that they are both in danger?

Excerpt:

Anna was quiet on the walk to the café. Her eyes darted back and forth as she took in the sights around her, all the time fiddling with her ring, spinning the silver and black circle round and round. She continued to draw in deep breaths and chew on her lower lip, occasionally muttering ‘not possible’ under her breath, as if fighting an internal battle. Her natural color seemed to have paled, the light dusting of freckles more prominent.

Once they’d settled in their seats at the café and ordered dried apple pie and coffee, Wes rested his forearms on the table. “Tell me a little bit about this ‘Tulsa.’”

Anna cleared her throat. “It’s in Oklahoma.” She flinched when he shrugged, still not sure what she was talking about.

“Oklahoma. You know, the state south of Kansas?”

He narrowed his eyes. “The only thing south of us is Indian Territory, then Texas.”

“No,” she whispered, her eyes round as saucers.

Wes nodded at the waitress as she placed cups of coffee and two cuts of pie in front of them. She glanced at Anna, who stared straight ahead, taking in shallow breaths.

Once the waitress left, Anna nodded, as if she’d made a decision. “Wes, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

She looked him in the eye, seeming to draw strength from within herself. “What year is this?”

His forkful of pie stopped halfway to his mouth. “What?”

Anna licked her lips and cleared her throat. “Just tell me, please. What year is this?”

He frowned and lowered the fork. “It’s eighteen hundred and seventy. Why?”

Then he leapt forward as Anna’s eyes rolled to the back of her head and her slack body slid to the floor.

Buy link: http://amzn.to/182RS7L

callie

Bio:

Callie has been making up stories since elementary school, and writing gave her a way to turn off the voices in her head. After having a number of articles and interviews published in newspapers and magazines, she took on what she’d always dreamed of. Writing that book. She currently has a number of both historical and contemporary romance books published. Visit her website for more information. http://www.calliehutton.com

She currently lives in Oklahoma with her husband and adult children who move in and out with alarming regularity. Add three rescue dogs and the household is complete—and full. She enjoys hearing from her readers, and would love to have you visit her on Facebook.

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Margery Scott

July 10, 2013 at 8:02 am

I absolutely love time travels, and imo, there aren’t nearly enough of them. Love the sound of this book, Callie. Can’t wait to read it. And yes, drool-worthy cover!!

2. R.T. Wolfe

July 10, 2013 at 8:16 am

Another lovely book by a lovely author. Loved it, Callie!
    -R.T. Wolfe

3. Cheryl Yeko

July 10, 2013 at 8:52 am

Sounds like another hit, Callie. And the cover is awesome!

-Cheryl

July 10, 2013 at 9:01 am

Thanks for coming by Cheryl. I agree about Callie’s cover…she has some gorgeous ones for sure.

July 10, 2013 at 9:25 am

I don’t normally read time travel, but this sounds good, Callie. I think I’d like to go to the old west and be with my Cherokee brothers and sisters, to experience my true heritage up close and very personal. Then I’d like to come home after and write about it. Loved the excerpt. I laughed out loud at the last line. That’s a great cover, but which of yours aren’t? ;) Congrats on finally finishing and publishing this one! I wish you many sales.

5. Susan Macatee

July 10, 2013 at 10:46 am

Time travel is my favorite form of fiction, Callie, whether romance or not. My fascination started young when I watched tv shows like ‘The Time Tunnel’ and other shows with episodes of time travel activity like ‘Dark Shadows’, ‘Star Trek’, ‘The Outer Limits’. I was grown and a young mother when I first discovered time travel romances. I devoured too many to name.

In my own time travel stories, I’ve had both the heroine and the hero be the traveler in different stories and some end in the past, while others finish up in the present time. Depends on the characters and the stories, but there’s always that happy, satisfying ending.

And your book cover is too die for. Congrats on your new release!

July 10, 2013 at 11:58 am

Hi Susan, glad you came by and shared your experiences..thank you :)

6. Callie Hutton (@Calliehutton)

July 10, 2013 at 11:49 am

Thank you, Susan. I should give credit here (although it’s mentioned on the copyright page) that the cover was done by Erin Dameron-Hill. Very talented lady.

7. sadiecate

July 10, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Hi Callie, Congrats! I’m intrigued by time travel. Add romance and I’m hooked. If I could spend a few day back in time I’d like to travel to the 18th century. It must have been hard for the women to get around in all of the layers of clothes. I’d need my blow dryer, flat iron, and a box of chocolate protein bars.

I loved the blurb and excerpt! Happy sales!

Kathleen Ann Gallagher

July 10, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Hey Kathleen, thanks for coming by! Love your traveling requirements…especially the chocolate protein bars :)

• Callie Hutton (@Calliehutton)

July 10, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Thank you Kathleen. When we have these really hot days here in OK, I often think of my foremothers who sweltered in the heat in long dresses.

July 10, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I LOVE time travels! My favorite is Outlander but I do love A Knight in Shining Armor. Have you read any of Lynn Kurland? All of her time travelers are men. They’re SO good.

July 10, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I’m the odd man out, I don’t think I’ve ever read a time travel, although my daughter has been trying to convince me to read the Outlander series. Thanks for coming by and sharing Sharon :)

• Callie Hutton (@Calliehutton)

July 10, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Hi Sharon, Thanks for coming by. Yes, I’ve read a lot of Lynn Kurland. Forgot her travelers were men. I’ll have to re-read them.

9. Shirley Buchanan

July 10, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I read A Tumble Through Time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Time travel books lets you see how things would appear to you if you traveled through time. Callie Hutton did a wonderful job representing the wild west in her book. Love her characters and the ending… awesome.

10. Callie Hutton (@Calliehutton)

July 11, 2013 at 8:22 am

Thanks, Christine for the fun day. I enjoyed being on here.