Instant Gratificationer

05 Oct

My sister tells me I’m an ‘instant gratificationer’.  (lol..yeah, I know, we make up words a lot…it’s fun to add er or y to the end of a word to make it snap).  Now I’m sure you can figure out exactly what she means, but of course I’m going to go into detail a bit.

Now I admit I’m not an instant gratificationer in every aspect of my life, I’m generally patient and don’t mind waiting for certain things.  But every once in awhile there is something that comes along and I lose my patience…and a driving need pulses through me that makes me want it right now!  (kind of like that character from Willy Wonka…I think you know the one…hehehehe)

Basically instant gratificationers like the whole tamale, all set and finished and pretty.  For instance, when my sister and I are out shopping for new plants or shrubs for our yard, I want the full grown, already mature model…she picks out the tiny, microscopic twig and waits years for it to reach the size of the one I have in my cart.  (lol…go figure…why wait when you can get the finished product?)  When we buy furniture, she’ll choose something like a table or shelves that are naked and she’ll have to stain or paint, I go for the one that can be placed in the room and loaded up with plants, books or whatever, as soon as I walk in the door of my home with my purchase.

But we have an area where we switch places.  She likes to buy the already prepared meals or order take out, I prefer the pleasure of cooking and creating a dish, mainly because cooking relaxes me. (insane right?…lol)

So, you’re asking what has this got to do with anything?  LOL…believe me, there is a point I’m trying to make here.

And that point is to be careful for wanting the final product, the finale so to speak.  Sometimes it’s nice to wait.  Especially if you are talking about goals.  Get comfortable with your goals and let them grow along with yourself.

I’m mainly referring to something I learned about myself versus social networking.  All those fun sites like Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, your own personal website/blog…and the many more I’m probably not even aware of…yet  (lol).

Quiet by nature, I’m pretty reserved, unless I know you and we are great friends, then I have the biggest mouth in the great lake region.  But I was scared stiff to get involved in all the social media sites.  I signed up for them with two things in mind.  To meet other people and to force myself out of my comfort zone.  Visit other blogs and loops and meet other authors, readers, people.  In the process I learned that the writing community is so full of helpful people.  They all seem to work together to share ideas and motive each other, help each other.  It’s truly incredible.  Like I said, I’m a bit on the shy side, so stepping outside my comfort zone was a hard thing for me to do.  But at the same time I knew it’d be good for me.  Good to meet others, share experiences, learn.

So in my excitement I went about it full force.  I researched and at the same time jumped right in with gusto (which wasn’t like my usual self).  I found I enjoyed touring other blogs, participating in author loops, posting comments, meeting new people.  But I also discovered that it took a lot of time and I felt like I was trading in my writing hours for social hours.  No, not always bad, but you have to find a happy medium.

In all my eagerness, I also noticed how all these more established authors had quite a following on their blogs and other social sites, and I have to admit I was impressed.  I decided to try and build up my own following on my own sites.  I wanted it all, I wanted it now.  Anyway, my excitement was making me a bit greedy in having followers.  My ‘instant gratificationer’ persona had added another layer.

I didn’t really know how to go about building up my following.  I researched some more, asked some friends.  Then I stopped myself and took a good look.

You know what I discovered?  It’ll all come in time.  It might start out slow.  Your site might be filled with friends only for now.  But hey, that’s okay.  Where are we without our friends?  Over time people that you don’t know, people that aren’t from the writing community and offering to share support…will find you.  They will have read your work, or have had it recommended by a friend and will search you out.  If they like your product…they will follow your blog, your twitter, like you on facebook.  So, normally a patient person that took a quick leap to the other side, this was a lesson I learned today.  Take your time and savor the journey.

How about you?  Are you an instant gratificationer?

Posted by on October 5, 2011 in Day to Day Life, On Writing

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

22 responses to “Instant Gratificationer

1. Jennifer Lowery~Writer

October 5, 2011 at 3:15 am

I’d like to say I take my time, but with most things I’m impatient! I have learned to slow down and savor the journey though. Great post.

October 5, 2011 at 3:28 am

Thanks Jennifer…sometimes it’s hard to slow down and enjoy the moment…but it seems to be a lesson that is rediscovered over and over again…. 🙂

October 5, 2011 at 3:21 am

Yes! Yes! Yes! I want it and I want it now! I have no patience for anything!

October 5, 2011 at 3:29 am

lol….you are too funny D’Ann….thanks for commenting 🙂

3. Loralee Lillibridge

October 5, 2011 at 3:25 am

Christine, I, too, hesitated to jump in the social media pond in the beginning, but if I hadn’t…I would’ve never met you, you wouldn’t have known about my recent book, and I wouldn’t have received such a glowing review from you, followed by new readers for me and followers for you. And now, I follow your blog. Instant gratificationing!
    Big thanks to you and Christine’s Words.

October 5, 2011 at 3:30 am

Thanks Loralee….you said it all, in the nicest way possible. I’ve not only met you and was introduced to your amazing writing, but I’ve met so many other terrific people. I’m glad I made the leap, but I also am glad I realized that I needed to slow down and let things progress naturally 🙂 Glad you dropped by!

October 5, 2011 at 3:42 am

I think you have to set limits. The cyber world is an awesome tool as long as you control it– you don’t let it control you….
    It’s easy to get sucked into the hoopla, but it’s great for bringing us all together. 🙂 So glad we met.
    XX,

October 5, 2011 at 4:20 am

Well put Denice! And I’m glad we met too 🙂

October 5, 2011 at 4:07 am

I’m a bit of both. Depends on what it is. But boy oh boy, when I want something now, I want it NOW!!!!! It can take over my life–it’s all I think about until I feel like I’m going insane. I…WANT…IT…NOW!!!!!
    LOL, kinda made myself sound like a monster.

October 5, 2011 at 4:21 am

LOL….you did sound like a monster…but a good monster (is there such a thing…lmbo?…I think so 🙂

Thanks for dropping in 🙂

October 5, 2011 at 4:42 am

Yep. That’s me talking in this post. 🙂 I wanted it all yesterday. I was thrilled when I reached 100 twitter followers! Now I’m over 200 and stoked for more! If Christine doesn’t mind… you can find me at twitter/Calisa_Rhose. 😀

MORE! But I’m like you. It took me a year to actually use either my facebook or twitter pages after I signed up for them. I lived in my blogworld and that was my social comfort zone. One I’d created and could get lost in without feeling like I was being stared at. Now I don’t mind so much. I love the new faces there and on my other social outlets.

October 5, 2011 at 4:58 am

LOL…Calisa…love your twitter plug! I just reached 20 on my twitter and am impressed by that, but have seen several others on there with well over 5000…WOW….crazy!

As for me, I love to blog the best, I think because I get more than 140 characters…lol

Glad you dropped by 🙂

7. mirriamsmyth

October 5, 2011 at 5:22 am

The only thing I have no patience waiting for is the laundry. 🙂

I’m thirty years old, and was intro’d to computers and their amazing features when I was four. And yes technology and it’s advances in connecting humans to one another is fantastic, but the instant gratification I initially found online filtered into other parts of my life, making me miserable and a bear to be around.

That experience, and the self-imposed time away from the online world, helped me curb my want for “now.” The end result: I have more patience to wait for things (except the laundry).

October 5, 2011 at 6:03 am

Thanks for coming by Mirriam….I had to laugh about your laundry comment….I have no trouble waiting for that one 🙂

October 5, 2011 at 5:57 am

I’m one of those weird people who weight the pros/cons of something…and then jump in expecting instant gratification. I really, really need to work on my patience…

October 5, 2011 at 6:06 am

At least you know yourself and the areas you need to improve…that’s 1/2 the battle 🙂

9. Tereasa Bellew

October 5, 2011 at 9:28 am

Hi Christine! I do want instant gratification but often find myself waiting with the majority. And then I remember that saying about good things coming to those who wait. Okay…still waiting here. LOL. At times that brass rings is so darn shiny, too pretty to resist and I catch myself grabbing. (sigh) And then I remind myself that I really don’t want to get to the end too quickly.

Tere

October 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Well put Tere….love how you said what you said!

October 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I’m all over instant gratsi. It’s why I love my microwave oven and hate wrinkle creams.

October 5, 2011 at 12:40 pm

LOL…microwaves are the biggest instant gratificationer. Nice one Sheri!

11. Joanna Aislinn

October 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm

My problem is quite the opposite: I’ll wait for eternity and justify that by the ‘I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be’ mentality. That has it’s place–until it becomes an excuse to avoid taking another leap.

Hmmm.

Great post, Christine.

October 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Joanna….I like that you have patience to wait, but since I’m usually on the fence and normally patient, I can also understand your dilemma about then having to force yourself to move forward. It’s a hard fence to be on 🙂