14 Oct

Each Friday I will post a question (something fun, maybe a bit quirky, it’s Friday after all) and include my answer.  You can join the fun and post your own answer by clicking the comment button below!

Since we are in the haunting month of October, I would like to take the next three Fridays and post something related to the Halloween season!  Hope you don’t mind.

I live in the boonies, off a dirt road.  At night it’s a scary walk up a long, dark, curvy driveway with only the glow of moonlight to illuminate your path.  So needless to say, we don’t get trick or treaters.  It’s one of the things I miss about living in town.  Houses out here are separated by a great distance and most of the kids in the area are driven into our small town to dispense their tricks or gather their treats… 🙂

This time of year always brings back happy memories of when I was growing up.  We lived on a dead end street on the outskirts of a fledgling city, everybody knew everybody.  Getting ready for our big night, being allowed to stay out until well after the street lights came on, was a big deal.  More than likely we didn’t have the store bought orange plastic pumpkins or pails to fill with candy, but carried a plastic bag or pillow case (which both held way more loot) 🙂

I can still feel that thrill of excitement as I recall running across lawns in my costume, getting ready to yell those three magic words endless times for the next couple of hours.  “Trick or Treat.”

Now I admit, in my innocent youth I didn’t pull any tricks (that was for my teen years…hehehehe and another blog topic for the future), I was more focused at this young age of getting the sweet, sticky, sugary candies.  There were certain homes in the neighborhood that were on your radar and sometimes you’d go out of order to get there first in hopes that they wouldn’t run out of the good stuff.  Kid gossip filled the streets that Mrs. Hoogleboogleboom had Hershey bars—the large ones—and they were going fast, and Mr. Inglebingersol was giving out pennies so avoid at all costs.  (names have been changed to protect the reputations of their offspring).

Remember all those wonderful, delicious treats?  Remember coming home after trick or treating and spilling all your candy on the table or counter and counting it?  (Yep, we counted it…lol).  Remember sifting through the assortment, looking for the best pieces and putting them into a special pile.  If you had siblings or were lucky enough to have a friend over on that magical, mystical night, do you remember trading and sometimes even arm wrestling to get the coveted prized candy that everyone wanted?  I can still hear the shouts and laughter and wonder how my mother stood the noise level!  lol

For me, chocolate was a big hit, the major score!  I’d trade anything else for it with my brother and sister to have them give up a piece of their chocolately goodness.  Sometimes going so far as to give them several candies for a solitary piece of their chocolate.  And do you remember when you were sorting through your candy and came across that certain treat that you wouldn’t eat even if someone paid you a million dollars?  You could barely be bothered to push it off to the outer edges of your stash with the tips of your fingers.  For me that was the dreaded POPCORN BALL.  I still cringe just thinking about it…ICK! ICK!!  Triple ICK!!!

Well, I just found the perfect lead in…

…..Drum roll, please….Today’s Friday Fun Fact question is…

When you were younger and a trick or treater expert extraordinaire, what was the best type of candy that you could find in your sugary pile after you emptied your loot from a night out tricking and treating?  And what was the worst?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Cassidy

October 14, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Sweet tarts were the best….candy corn or taffy the worst

October 14, 2011 at 11:20 pm

You liked the smarties and sweet tarts with 3 tarts in a pack. I can’t believe you didn’t pick chocolate…lol

2. Cheryl Yeko

October 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Popcorn balls were the best. I love them.

The agree with Cassidy, candy corn was the worst…yuch!

October 14, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Popcorn balls…….aaaahhhhh….I have nightmares!

LOL..thanks for commenting Cheryl 🙂

3. Jennifer Lowery~Writer

October 14, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I’m with you, Christine! Anything chocolate was the best! The worst—anything gummy! Always look forward to your FFF 🙂

October 14, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Thanks Jennifer, I’m glad to have you play along! Also glad to know who to ask to go with me on my next chocolate run…lol

4. mirriamsmyth

October 14, 2011 at 11:25 pm

The best: Kit Kats hands down
    The worst: Sweet Tarts 😛

October 14, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Yum…Kit Kats are awesome! I guess you should team up with Cassidy to trick or treat, she’ll take all your sweet tarts :)….thanks for dropping my Mirriam.

5. Tereasa

October 14, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I’m with Cheryl, the popcorn balls. Any time I learned who was giving them out, we’d head that way quick. I also searched for the homes who gave out those tiny paper treat bags, usally filled with assortment of candy. My least favorite- I’d trade with my brother- was a PayDay. I hate peanuts. : )

October 14, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Another popcorn ball fan! I’m shocked…hehehehe! I didn’t like PayDays as a kid either, but I do now!
      Thanks for visiting Tere 🙂

October 15, 2011 at 12:40 am

Everything chocolate for me. Apples were the worst (who wants fruit on Halloween?). That was before the razor blades in the apples time, so people still gave them out. Money was good. But at least like Charlie Brown, I never got a rock!

October 15, 2011 at 5:51 am

YAY for the chocolate fan! Yeah, only give me apples if they are covered in carmel and chopped nuts…lol. Thanks for dropping in Callie 🙂

7. J.D.

October 15, 2011 at 12:45 am

Candy corn were always my favorite. 🙂 The worst…herm…chocolate covered raisins, I guess. That and, you know, having to have my parents check it over for razor blades kinda dampened the fun.

October 15, 2011 at 5:52 am

I like candy corn too…but only at Halloween, I know that they now make it in assorted colors for different holidays, but I always associate it with Halloween! Thanks for coming by 🙂

October 15, 2011 at 1:03 am

The line of the worst is long and distinguished: Nerds, Raisins, Candy Corn, Popcorn Ball, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts…I could go on. My brother got a LOT of my candy!

The best: Sugar Babies/Daddies, Mounds…most chocolate I would go for.

October 15, 2011 at 5:53 am

lol….I forgot about Bottle caps Kristina…another to add to my nightmare list. Thanks for commenting 🙂

October 15, 2011 at 1:26 am

One year, in one of many places I lived growing up a truck driver’s daughter, there was a house that gave out candy apples! I loved the caramel coating! Candy corn usually found its way into my dad’s hand. These days I like candy corn. lol

October 15, 2011 at 5:54 am

Candy apples are delish! Thanks for sharing Calisa 🙂

October 15, 2011 at 2:50 am

The best was Snickers!!! The worst – getting those little small- Bits of Honey – at least that is what I think they were called?? They suck to the wrapper and you couldn’t eat them if you wanted to.

October 15, 2011 at 5:55 am

LOL….I forgot about those! I remember Bits of Honey…do they still make them I wonder? I didn’t like those either, it’s like they were made years in advance and stored in some warehouse on a tropical island so that they could melt into the paper! Thanks for the memories Denice!

October 15, 2011 at 3:07 am

LOL, oh man, this post brought back so many memories. We used a pillowcase to carry all our loot–and if I could go Trick-or-Treating now, I’d use a pillowcase again–no plastic pumpkins for me.
    Anyway, my favorite treats were chocolate bars, minus the Kit-Kats and Coffee Crisps. I still don’t like them. Oh and Eat Mores….gross. My worst favorite treats were apples. Those got tossed. Another treat I hated was these chewing Halloween candies–they looked gray and they were wrapped in orange, waxy paper with black cats and witches on them. Those candies I’d heard were scrappings off the floor of other candies and melted all together. LOL, I don’t know if that’s true, but these candies looked like it and tasted like it.

October 15, 2011 at 5:56 am

lol….I remember those gross candies too….forget their name and now I’m curious if they were really made from scrapings of candies…never heard that one! Thanks for dropping by Brenda 🙂

October 15, 2011 at 4:39 am

I can’t answer…my mother wouldn’t allow us to go trick-or-treating. She said it was like begging, and she wouldn’t let us do it. My one sister and I made up for it when our kids were grown, though. We went all out on homemade costumes.

What’s wrong with you people? I love popcorn balls!

October 15, 2011 at 5:57 am

AAAAHHHH…popcorn ball overload. I’m surprised how many people like them!
      Sorry you didn’t get to go as a kid D’Ann, but at least you made up for it later! WOOHOO

October 15, 2011 at 5:29 am

Hi Christine ~ Love reading all the answers here. I’d sneak a few pieces of candy while out trick-or-treating, but I wasn’t allowed to eat them. My mom would take my loot away and dole it out all year ’round. Maybe one piece of candy, every other day or so. And if my brother and I didn’t like what she chose for us – TOO BAD! To this day, I still don’t like anything that sticks to my teeth. Which leaves a wide variety of other candy to love. What a fun post today!!

October 15, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for coming by Sheri…glad you are liking the posts! When my kids were small they could eat all the candy they could handle that night, then I put it away and let them have a few pieces a day until the good stuff was gone, then it went into a community bin, where most of it remained until I trashed it. LOL

14. Susan Macatee

October 15, 2011 at 7:59 am

Milky Way was the best. I still love them.

The worst was something coated in chocolate, with a hard, chewy inside. Can’t remember the name of them though.

October 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Mmmm…milky ways are wonderful and I still love them too…among many other candy bars. I’m so so bad…lol. Thanks for dropping in Susan 🙂

15. Matthew MacNish

October 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Hi Christine. I’m here as the co-host from the Pay It Forward blogfest. Thanks so much for signing up.

But I couldn’t find your follower widget, so I followed you on Twitter, and hopefully Google Friend Connect will be working next time I stop by.

October 18, 2011 at 3:34 am

Thanks for stopping by Matthew…much appreciated! My follower widget is on the upper left corner of the home page of my blog….basically says to enter your email addy to receive updates….I might need to add a few bells and whistles so it’s easier seen 🙂
      Pay it Forward blogfest is an awesome idea…glad to be participating 🙂

16. davidandersonauthor

October 18, 2011 at 10:51 am

Caramels were the best, anything with peanut butter the worst.

October 18, 2011 at 11:00 am

Hey David, thanks for stopping by! I love caramels too…but I’m a big reeses peanut butter cup fan as well…lol

17. Susan S.

October 19, 2011 at 3:04 am

Mary Janes are the worst….especially when I was young and the inside was very squishy and gritty at the same time.

October 19, 2011 at 3:23 am

Those sound gross…and I have no clue what they are, but if I ever see them in the store, I’m running in the other direction…lol