21 Oct

Each Friday I will post a question (something fun, maybe a bit quirky, it’s Friday after all) and include my answer.  You can join the fun and post your own answer by clicking the comment button below!

Since we are in the haunting month of October, I would like to continue with topics related to the Halloween season!  Hope you don’t mind.

My family is a huge fan of scary, horror flicks.  When our kids were younger we actually had Scary Movie Nights on the weekends.  We’d all stay up late and rent sometimes 2 or 3 scary movies and watch them while eating buckets of popcorn and the occasional homemade pizza.

Scary Movie Night was actually an idea born from my husband’s warped, twisted and mangled humor, but it stuck for a long time and I know the kids enjoyed it.  At first I was a bit leery about letting them participate in something that my husband and I enjoyed after they’d go to bed, because I felt they were too young.  I worried they’d have nightmares and all that other stuff that goes along with getting your socks scared straight off your feet…lol.

But I have to admit, my husband handled it all pretty well.  He’d actually crack jokes when a scary part came up, or point out how fake some of the scenes looked (yeah, we rented some pretty cheesy scary movies at times :))…and in the process it got the kids involved and almost turned scary movie night into dissecting scary movie night.  And to this day our kids are huge scary movie fans with a touch of humor!   (I still enjoy some of the funny things that they say during a movie)

But there were some movies we didn’t let our kids watch.  Movies that are just too scary or disturbing.  Okay, I confess, there are some movies out there that still scare me and I prefer not to watch them when I’m alone, or after dark…lol!  So I certainly wouldn’t want my kids to see them.  (but on a side note, now that they are older, go for it!!)

I actually have two movies—and they are oldies but goodies—that make me curl up on the couch with a fuzzy blanket to use as a shield over my eyes when the going gets rough.  The first one is The Entity.  Made in the early 1980’s this is a ghost story (my favorite scary movie theme) and scares the bajeebies out of me no matter how often I watch it.  The other is the original OMEN…damn, that little boy in that movie gives me the creeps and to this day I’d cross the sidewalk to avoid anyone with the name Damien…lol.

Which leads me to…

…..Drum roll, please….Today’s Friday Fun Fact question is…

Everyone has a frightening movie that bothers them that they laugh off when talking to friends.  But when lights go out, your home alone or you hear the theme music, you get that tingly crawl over your skin.  What movie does that to you?  Share with me your scariest movie and why it makes the hair on the back of your neck stir, or why you lose sleep if you watch it before bed.  Can’t wait to hear your answers!

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

October 22, 2011 at 12:07 am

Scary movie? I run in the other direction when I hear those words. They, well, scare me. And I don’t like to be scared so I avoid them at all cost. Unlike my husband who loves to be scared. I usually grab the laptop and hide in the other room when he rents them.

But I do remember watching Halloween. The old one with Jamie Lee Curtis (did they make a new one? I thought I remember them making a new one). What scares me the most and STILL gives me the heebie-jeebies to this day is when she’s babysitting at the beginning of the movie and Michael is in the house with her ::shudder::.

Except one thing I don’t understand about that movie is how long their trick or treating lasted! It seems those kids trick or treated for ten hours.

October 22, 2011 at 12:14 am

lol…that was a great movie…that’s one where the music gets me everytime! And you’re right, they did trick or treat forever. 🙂 Thanks for dropping by Sharon.

2. Jennifer Lowery~Writer

October 22, 2011 at 12:50 am

What a fun topic, Christine! Love Fridays just for your fun facts! I grew up watching scary movies—my dad loved them and now so do I! They are the first ones I’ll pick in the video store. I have to go with Poltergeist. Saw it at the drive-in way back when with my parents and it scared the life out of me!! Still remember not wanting to look, but not NOT looking. it was great. Still creeps me out with the T.V. thing and the clown! The clown was the worst.
    Thanks for the fun Friday!

October 22, 2011 at 1:07 am

Thanks Jennifer…I’m glad you like FFF….it’s my favorite part of the week too! I love reading everyone’s comments. Great that your dad liked scary movies too….and Poltergeist was a good one…I saw it at the drive in too…miss those drive ins.

October 22, 2011 at 12:52 am

Hmmm… most of them, actually. I’m not a scary movie girl, really. But the one that takes the cake is The Birds – even now if a large group of birds is around, I avoid like the plague!

October 22, 2011 at 1:08 am

lol…I always think of that movie too when I see a huge swarm of birds overhead. Love it. Thanks for dropping by Kristi!

October 22, 2011 at 1:19 am

The Ring!!! Oh MY Goodness! (true story)
    My sister has jet black hair and the next morning after my nephew watched that movie, she woke him up for school and he started swinging…. lol
    He said her hair was hanging in front of her face and it freaked him out.
    This is fun,

October 22, 2011 at 1:37 am

OMG Denice….you have to meet my daughter..she loves that movie too and when she was here the other night she was showing me a portfolio of her friend’s work, and she’d posed for a picture as the Ring girl…lol…creepy! I’ll have to see if I can get her to post it on fb and you can check it out. LOL….thanks for commenting!

5. Joanna Aislinn

October 22, 2011 at 1:30 am

Couldn’t do Silence of the Lambs or Cape Fear more than once. (Knew the latter would really creep me out. Went to the movies w/a male friend who wasn’t the cuddly type, so I hid Iggy (a lime green stuffed tiger) under my coat. Held on to him during the scary parts.

Cool post. I love how the ‘little writers’ started dissecting the films.

October 22, 2011 at 1:39 am

ooohhh…Silence of the Lambs was a creepy movie for sure…forgot about that one. I loved it! Thanks for coming by Joanna!

October 22, 2011 at 1:39 am

I don’t do scary movies. Maybe some of the earlier ones when they weren’t so bloody. I saw Poltergeist and Carrie, but neither one of them scared me. I’m never afraid to be alone in the dark, so I guess not watching scary movies works for me. lol

Callie Hutton

October 22, 2011 at 1:45 am

I bet if you watched a scary movie, you’d be afraid of the lone dark….or basements, or when floorboards creaked and you’re home alone….lol
      Thanks for visiting Callie!

7. Cassidy Rae Warner

October 22, 2011 at 1:53 am

Love this topic. Scary Movie night continues with Destinee, Trevor and I. The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Ring, the original Amityville Horror, The Thing, Does “Signs” count? Omg, to this day when i hear anything falling on the roof, like acorns or whatever, I’m always like..It’s an alien. I hate aliens.

And I know you didn’t like it but Paranormal Activity had me up at night thinking I was going to be dragged from my bed for weeks.

http://welchers.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4ch6e7 <—me and my cat for Halloween.

October 22, 2011 at 2:18 am

Cass…I love you…you are too funny. Okay, I have to admit when you first told me about Paranormal Activity I thought I’d end up under the movie seat…it was good, but it didn’t have the same affect on me as it did on you. I had no trouble sleeping. LOL
      Glad you dropped in…thanks for the link to your Ring picture..it looks so authentic!

8. mirriamsmyth

October 22, 2011 at 3:08 am

Two of the best scary movies I’ve ever seen (and I do mean EVER) are Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) and Night of the Living Dead (1968). Maybe it was because they’re black-and-white films, with real actors and props, and no CG whatsoever that makes them scary to me, because nothing modern scares me likes these two do. Great post, Christine! 🙂

October 22, 2011 at 4:07 am

Those are awesome choices Mirriam and you’re so right! I think that black and white films give that added suspense to a movie…I loved these originals…way better than the newer releases. Glad you stopped by 🙂

9. Zee Monodee

October 22, 2011 at 4:09 am

I don’t watch scary movies/horror stuff – way too chicken! Strangely though, I’m a goner for Supernatural which is quite scary and horror-like at times. I’ve seen every episode so far!

October 22, 2011 at 4:12 am

I have heard a lot about that show, but have never seen it! I might have to check it out. I normally find all of that interesting too. I’ve heard that American Horror Story is good too, but I keep missing it. Thankfully I can catch up on the internet right? lol
      Glad to see you Zee..thanks for coming by!

• Zee Monodee

October 22, 2011 at 7:04 pm

You have to watch Supernatural! One of the hottest hero duos ever too, lol – the eye candy doesn’t hurt! The story line is really an ‘intelligent’ one – there’s a plot arc that goes all the way from Seasons 1-6, one of the best plot progression examples I’ve ever come across

October 22, 2011 at 4:11 am

Amityville Horror scared the crap out of me. If I watched it today maybe it wouldn’t, but back then…..yeah, freaked me right out!!!
    Also, Poltergeist–the first and the second one–scared me–not so much today, but again, back when I was younger…..I had lots of dreams about that movie–especially the preacher type dude in the second one that walked down the street saying: You’re all going to die!!!!!

October 22, 2011 at 4:16 am

Amityville Horror was a good one, but like you said when I first saw it. I watched it a few years back and though still good, I didn’t get that creepy feeling I strive for when watching a scary movie…lol…I know, I’m warped.
      I have a reoccurring movie moment too Brenda, from Tales from the Crypt, all short stories. There was a scene where this woman driver ran down a guy hitchhiking on the side of the road and where ever she went afterwards he was there all mangled up telling her “thanks for the ride lady” lol…creepy 🙂
      Thanks for coming by!

• Brenda

October 22, 2011 at 4:19 am

I remember that!!! LOL, that scared the crap out of me too.

• mirriamsmyth

October 22, 2011 at 6:21 am

My hubby and I were able to see Amityville as a preview a week before it hit national theaters. It was a good movie… except the audience we were a part of totally RUINED every would-be scary part. *sigh* I still can’t watch it without thinking of what the audience members were saying.

Geez…

October 22, 2011 at 6:34 am

That’s so annoying when people talk during a movie….and I also find it rude when people flip open their cells. The lights are a lot brighter and more distracting than most people thing.
        Ah well…sometimes I got to sacrifice to see things on the big screen I guess 😦

11. Tabitha

October 22, 2011 at 4:33 am

Mine would have to be Hell Raiser and Paranormal Activity. Pin Head scares the crap out of me and the morphed face the woman makes at the camera at the end of PA freaked me out. Most of the time not much really scares me. I watch them and go to bed with the lights out. Not to mention the hubby is a long haul truck drive and I’m alone a lot. But these two movies stuck with me. I even refused to go into a haunted house once because Pin Head was in there. Its a big joke with the hubby when he sees it on. He will call me into the room and ask me if I want to watch it. LOL! Great post!

October 22, 2011 at 4:57 am

lol…sounds like your hubby is a bit on the warped side too. Love it! Thanks for coming by Tabitha 🙂

12. Martha Ramirez

October 22, 2011 at 4:47 am

What a great post! Great idea.

Love scary movies but have to keep myself from watching. I’m a wuss lol. I think the Exorcist is one I cannot watch.

October 22, 2011 at 4:58 am

Great to see you Mart….I remember watching that between my fingers with my mom…another great scary movie!

October 22, 2011 at 4:56 am

Okay, I used to be a die-hard SK fan, read every new release, watched them all when they came out as movies… never missed one. The Dead series? We owned every single one and it was a regular movie night theme for us. Then, I don’t know what happened. Poof- gone. But I think the one that haunts me the worst is/was Man’s Best Friend about a Tibetan Mastiff (dog) genetically altered and creepy. I can’t do anything animal scary for sure, but that one I can never forget for some reason. Others that I refuse to watch are OMEN, Carrie, IT, Exorcist (original or the remake)- I guess I don’t do demonic period. It’s too real for me- because I believe there really are angels and demons.

October 22, 2011 at 5:00 am

Having a belief in some of that is what makes it so scary I guess…because of the possibility!
      Enjoyed your comment Calisa…thanks for sharing 🙂

14. MaryAnn a.k.a JAustenwannabe

October 22, 2011 at 5:09 am

The original Nightmare of Elm Street scared me sooo much, I remember screaming like a crazy woman when I saw it.

My second favorite scary move is more recent, it’s called 1408 with John Cusack.

October 22, 2011 at 5:14 am

Thanks for coming by MaryAnn….I loved 1408 too…have watched it several times. Funny about Nightmare on Elm Street….two of my kids told me that movie was their scariest too!

15. Karen Lovell

October 22, 2011 at 9:11 am

It’s gotta be Amityville Horror for me too, I watched it when I was 12 and staying at a friend’s house — there is no way my parents would have let me watch it. There was a house across the road that looked so like the Amityville house that my friend and I used to spend hours watching it. Scary, and nothing remotely enjoyable about it. But then I’ve always been a wuss — don’t get me started on my Stephen King phase…

October 22, 2011 at 9:28 am

oooohhh…you have to chat with my daughter, she saw the real Amityville house and said it gave her chills. She loves scary things, but deep down is a big wuss…lol
      Stephen King…love his stories…way to many to list. He’s the master.

16. susielindau

October 22, 2011 at 10:38 am

It would have to be Halloween! I know what is going to happen and yet it still creeps me out….
    Great post~
    Happy Halloween!

October 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

Thanks Susie, glad you dropped by! I think what does it for me with the Halloween movies is that music….that alone is enough to make your heart race.

October 22, 2011 at 11:46 am

Scary movie?
    Just those words send me running the other way!
    I don’t like them, so can’t comment. Sorry!

October 22, 2011 at 11:51 am

lol…you are too funny D’Ann! But don’t feel alone, I know a lot of peeps that aren’t into them. I think it’s an either love em or hate em type thing!
      Thanks for dropping in!

18. celebrity

July 2, 2013 at 3:09 am

However, those hoping to see the tshirts now: My wife flew MissTravel.
    com and all natural vegetable juices. Tabarca
    Island is situated off the ‘evil eye’. Leave all you find yourself a target for
    the specific type of luggage will help it go down for whatever reason.
    They’re at present experiencing the unimaginable, and they worthy the freedom for getting about and thus experience their everyday lives as glasses or even contacts will be televised.