28 Oct

Each Friday I will post a question (something fun, maybe a bit quirky, it’s Friday after all) and include my answer.  You can join the fun and post your own answer by clicking the comment button below!

Since we are in the haunting month of October, I have geared my questions toward subjects pertaining to Halloween!  Since this is the last Friday of the month this is our big finale.  I’m sad to see October is about over, but looking forward to Turkey Day month!  YUM 🙂

One of my favorite parts of Halloween as an adult is seeing the costumes.  Before I was married I would purposely stay home on Halloween to pass out candy.  I loved seeing all the unique and different costumes kids came up with.  Some homemade with such imagination, some funny, some scary, some purchased from the store and even a few that I’m sure had to be rented, they were so elaborate.

When I had my own kids, it was so much fun to have them dress up and more often than not our costumes were homemade, put together out of bits and pieces that we bought, borrowed or made out of something in the house.  Even if the kids wanted a costume from the store, it seemed like we would personalize it somehow.  I loved going out with them and seeing what all the other trick or treaters wore.

Since we live in the country, we’ve never had a trick or treater come to the house.  And now that my kids are grown and I don’t go with them into town to make the rounds, I have to say I truly miss seeing all the kids dressed up in their finest gear.

Anyway, I was thinking about this the other day when I was in the grocery story and noticed the huge bins filled with all the yummy Halloween candy.  I can’t tell you the last time I bought a bag.  Why bother when I’d end up eating it all myself?  Lol

This got me thinking about Halloween when I was a kid.  I started to remember all the fun and excitement in our house on that wonderful night.  From the time my siblings and I stepped down from the school bus, we were preparing for our night out.  Now my brother and sister were older and it always seemed to me that they had the best costumes.  Most of the time we made our own costumes, but I do remember a few times they were purchased from the store.

I can easily remember my worst costume.  One I’m sure my mom regretted buying as I whined.  lol   Anyway, my mom bought my sister and I matching costumes (thanks Mom).  I don’t think either of us were too happy about it.  We were witches, complete with a black dress, pointy hat and one of those flimsy plastic masks that pinched and poked the skin on your face.  They were hot and hard to see out of when you were walking.  And forget about talking…you had to lift them up to hold a conversation in between houses, but I do remember sticking my tongue out a lot through the little slit for your mouth, and I also remember cutting it.  Guess I deserved it after torturing my mom with my complaints.  lol  Anyway, I hated (yes, I know that’s a strong word, but it about sums up my feelings) that costume.  And I think the main reason was that damn mask. 🙂  The only wonderful thing that came out of that torturous costume was that someone along the line must’ve despised them as much as I did, because I don’t see those types of masks in the store any longer.  YAY! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Okay, so I told you the worst costume, which only means I had to have had a favorite.  Right?  Well, of course!  I can actually remember I loved this awesome costume my sister made.  I can’t remember now if she was a gypsy or a belly dancer, but she had all kinds of beautiful silk scarves and bangle bracelets and makeup.  She looked amazing.  As for me, I don’t think I found my favorite costume until I was at a work Halloween party in my early twenties.  I ended up going as a Sexy Devil…lol…I had a wonderful short red dress, black fishnet stockings, horns and a red silk mask over my eyes.  Okay, not very kid-like, but I loved that costume and I had a great time the night I wore it *wink*

Which brings me to my final question for the month of October

…..Drum roll, please….Today’s Friday Fun Fact question is…

Everyone has a favorite and a worst Halloween costume.  One that we stomped our feet at as our mom or dad poured us into it while we argued and fought the entire way.  And of course the favorite one that we wore to school (or to a party when we were older…hehehe) that we could’ve worn all night long and never taken off.  Share with me your worst and best Halloween costumes.

I cant’ wait to read your comments and thanks for playing along!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Tereasa

October 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Hi Christine~
    I know those masks! I can still feel the wetness from trying to breathe with one on. Ugh! Torture for sure. My favorite costume was dressing up like a clown because I got to rat my hair and use Mom’s hairspray to make it stand up. Also the scooping neck had a huge ruffle around it and I felt beautiful! with stiff hair and lots of makeup on!
    Looking at the costumes has always been the best part of Halloween and over the years after my own kids started Trick-r-Treating, I started making collage placemats with all the spooky gear. It’s so fun to look back at the previous years and see what the kids wore. And now grandkids. We cut and paste all sorts of Halloween pics and stickers like candy corn, devils, witches, then lamanate them onto poster board shaped like a placemat. They seem to hold up pretty good. And look great on the table as we sort throught all the candy.
    Have a great Halloween and thanks for the great post!
    Tere

October 29, 2011 at 12:21 am

Tere, I love that placemat idea…you are clever! When you described the wetness under the mask I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I remeber it all to well. UGH!
      Thanks for coming by…loved reading your comment 🙂

2. Lilly Gayle

October 28, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I remember those masks! And hated them. I have asthma and am slightly claustrophobic, so my dad used his pocket knife to cut out the entire nose and mouth section so I could breathe and wouldn’t panic.The first time he did this, he only cut out the nose. I was a little devil in red tights, a red turtle neck, braided tail, plastic pitchfork and that damn mask. I kept sticking my tongue through the slit in the mouth, wanting it to be gone the way the nos was. I scratched up my tongue. The next year I was a black cat. (My sister had been the cat the year before. Mom and dad recycled costumes but no one wanted my devil mask with the missing nose–my sister got a new devil mask.) I wore black tights, a black turtle neck and a tail pinned to my butt. Dad cut the entire lower half of my face out. That year was the last time we wore those awful masks. From then on, mom made our faces up with makeup. When I was a tiger, she used eyeliner to give me whiskers.

My favorite costumes was after I got married. My husband dressed as a wino. I was a bag lady. We looked so real, we could have blended in on any street corner!

October 29, 2011 at 12:23 am

lol…good to know that everyone hated those masks. And glad to know I wasn’t the only who cut up my tongue. Too funny…at least now.
      Love the wino, bag lady costumes…fun idea!
      Thanks for dropping in Lilly…enjoyed your comment!

3. Cheryl Yeko

October 28, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Okay, my favorite. When I first started dating my husband 1000 years ago, he had a costume that his mother had made. She was a nurse.

It was a hospital gown, and IV stand (w/bag). They took a tire and painted it black and ran it up he back of the gown so t looked like they’d been run over. Then they used make-up to make them look like they’d been in an accident. I actually borrowed this and wore to a work function once and pushed the IV around all day.

It was a blast.

-Cheryl

October 29, 2011 at 12:24 am

Love it Cheryl…sounds like a fun costume! Would’ve loved to have seen you 🙂
      Glad you dropped by to comment!

October 29, 2011 at 12:34 am

My worst was when I went out as a bum. Home-made costumes were in back then. So my mom got syrup and stuck coffee grinds on my face to make whiskers. MY face itched so bad- I’ll never forget it. I had my brothers frumpy clothes on- my mom thought his pants would stay up with a belt. Needless to say, I spent more time holding up my pants then I did holding out my pillowcase for candy.
    The best for me was dressing as a witch. I loved it. My aunt was in town and she took me to get a costume, pointy nose and all. She painted my face green and put scars on my face. I have to admit I had fun scaring the other kids, but hated to be scared myself.
    It’s nice reminiscing, thanks!
    XX,

October 29, 2011 at 2:13 am

Ouch Denice on the coffee grounds and syrup, but I bet you looked authentic!
      Thanks for sharing your memories, enjoyed it 🙂

5. P. L. Parker

October 29, 2011 at 1:24 am

My best and worst all rolled into one. I couldn’t think of anything but I had this T-shirt that said “I used up all my sick leave so I’m calling in dead.” So I bought these weeping scars, slash marks, etc., from a costume shop, painted my face a sickly green, dark shadows around my eyes and lips, teased my hair and sprayed it with grey hair spray, glued the marks on all over my face and went to work. My boss couldn’t even make eye contact with me and I scared my poor little 3 year old to death. He wouldn’t come near me. That was 15 years ago.

October 29, 2011 at 2:14 am

LOL…love it! You might consider going into special effects makeup for the movies! Great story 🙂

October 29, 2011 at 1:34 am

I remember those masks- hated them too. I honestly don’t remember a lot of Halloweens growing up. Or, I should say I remember the holiday, but not my costumes, so I don’t really have a worst. My favorite, however, I remember well. Hubby and I went to our only adult party his aunt threw. I had a silk Teddy, fishnet stocking and silk thigh-length robe. Oh and a long, blonde curly wig and stilletos. I was a call girl! Hubby was Tarzan. He’s still my Tarzan. I have one pic from that night his aunt took. I remember we were waiting for one of his cousins to arrive and I had gone outside to watch for him. I saw his car coming and started waving my arms, standing on the sidewalk. The car slowed and then passed… it was then I realized it wasn’t him and I looked like a hooker flagging strangers down! What a laugh we had. Hubby made me stay indoors after that. LOL

October 29, 2011 at 2:24 am

That is too funny Calisa! Your costume must’ve been so comfortable you forgot you were wearing it. LOL
      Tarzan and girl is a great costume idea.
      Thanks for stopping in and sharing 🙂

7. Jennifer Lowery~Author

October 29, 2011 at 1:38 am

Fun post! Love Friday’s just for fun facts, Christine! My worst costume was the year my mom made us dress up like ghosts with bed sheets! Yeah, that really happened! The best was the year we got to go as punk rockers, lol.
    Thanks for the fun game!

October 29, 2011 at 2:26 am

Hey Jennifer…glad you love Friday Fun Facts as much as I do 🙂
      I think my kids went as punk rockers once too…they loved it. Thanks for coming by 🙂

October 29, 2011 at 2:08 am

Hi Christine ~ Boy do I remember those hard plastic masks with the skinny elastic strips that anchor them to our heads! Our family recycled costumes, which wasn’t any fun for me, being the youngest and having an older brother. So, I was always what he was the year before. And as long as the costume fit, we had to wear it, year after year. So my worst costume was whatever my brother had worn the year before. Didn’t matter to me what it was. My mom helped make a costume once my best friend and I wore together one year: a two-headed monster with 3 legs. That was the best and we had so much fun! Thanks for the memories.

October 29, 2011 at 2:33 am

Yep, being the youngest wasn’t always the best…I got the hand-me-downs too. But I have to admit it created some great memories. Your two-headed monster costume sounds great.
      Glad you dropped by Sheri 🙂

9. Tabitha

October 29, 2011 at 3:08 am

I have to say my worst and best costume were one and the same. I was an adult. Me and my sister decided to go as witches to trick or treat with our kids. We both bought the rubber masks that you glue to your face. The kind that actually move when you talk or smile. We looked amazing. But we hadn’t worn them more than an hour when we took them off. They itched and sweat got trapped in them. Plus we were scaring the hell out of the trick or treaters. Our kids were fine but the trick or treaters were terrified. We went all out. Black dresses, teased grey hair, straw brooms, blacked out one tooth. Hell we didn’t even reconize ourselves. The creepy thing was the masks moved when we talked, smiled, etc. We looked live evil twins. Great costumes but terrible to wear. Great blog!

October 29, 2011 at 3:31 am

LOL…that’s a great story Tabitha…wish I could see a picture!
      Thanks for sharing 🙂

10. mirriamsmyth

October 29, 2011 at 3:11 am

My worst was an angel costume my mom made me wear when I was in elementary school. I hated it. It was white everything! I got her back though – I ruined it playing kickball in the muddy field. 🙂 It was definitely worth getting yelled at for.

My best was an adult half-dark angel, half-white angel costume. The mid-thigh dress, wings and halo were all half-black and half-white. Heels were FMP – wicked awesome.

October 29, 2011 at 3:32 am

Great story about the muddy field and your white angel wear…too funny! Sounds like half dark angel and half white angel were similar in sexiness to my Sexy Devil costume….still remember that outfit fondly. hehehehe….thanks for sharing Mirriam 🙂

October 29, 2011 at 10:22 am

My worst ever costume was one my mom made–it was of a horse. I hated it because it looked nothing like a horse. But it wasn’t my mom’s fault. I wanted to be horse and whined and complained until she gave in.
    I remember being so embarrassed because no one knew what it was supposed to be.
    My favorite costume was a pumpkin costume–my mom made it too.

October 29, 2011 at 10:29 am

Awww. I feel bad for you Brenda. But happy that you had a good pumpkin costume…my daughter was a pumpkin when she was little and it was one of my favorite costumes she wore. Super cute!
      Glad you dropped by 🙂