04 Nov

Each Friday I will post a question (something fun, maybe a bit quirky, it’s Friday after all) and include my answer.  You can join the fun and post your own answer by clicking the comment button below!

Since it’s now the month of NovemberTurkey Month, I have geared my questions toward subjects related to Thanksgiving!  YUM!

When I think of November I automatically think of food!  How about you?  It’s that time of year that is the kick-off to the holiday season.  I think of family and friends getting together and celebrating with lots of good eats, having wonderful times and making awesome memories.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!  Not just because I’m surrounded by family and friends and good food.  But because this is the one holiday that, to me at least, is stress free.  I don’t have to worry about shopping, my budget, finding a unique gift, driving around in snowy, cold weather, and massive amounts of decorating or singing Christmas carols off key.  Lol  I don’t have to worry about making it to midnight, which President we’re celebrating and what to get my sweet for Heart Day 🙂  You get the picture, I won’t go through the entire calendar.

Anyway, as I was thinking about the holiday this year and actually talking with my husband about the dinner coming up in only a few more Thursdays, it got me to thinking of all that food.  Endless tables of food.  Cheese and crackers, fruit, veges and dip, pies, homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, green bean casserole…..oh my and of course Turkey…the list is endless.

To me there’s nothing better than mixing corn into my mashed potatoes and smothering it with gravy and bits of turkey, oh and a few spoonfuls of homemade stuffing.  I’m getting full just thinking about it, but I’m smiling baby!  Lol

It’s funny to think of all those weird food combinations that people come up with and love.  Scrambled eggs or macaroni and cheese dripping with a good glob of ketchup, cottage cheese covered in maple syrup, peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches, pretzels dipped in mustard, saltine cracker and ketchup sandwiches, chocolate cake washed down with a tall cool glass of OJ…okay, is anyone’s stomach churning yet?  I know some of these combos sound odd, but I have either tried them myself or know someone that loves these foods together.  I won’t mention names due to privacy issues 🙂

Scary and a bit weird isn’t it?  🙂

This brings me to….Drum roll please!   Today’s Friday Fun Facts question is…

What type of foods do you pair together that you either sneak away to eat in the solitude of a closet—hoping against hope that nobody discovers your secret, or brazenly eat in the open to the groans and gags of those around you?  Can’t wait to hear the oddities!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Jennifer Lowery~Author

November 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Toast with mayo! Sounds awful and I don’t even like mayo that much, but I love a slice of toast with it.
    Fun post this week, Christine! Can’t wait to read the others 🙂

November 4, 2011 at 11:05 pm

lol…now there is a combo I wouldn’t have ever thought of, but some weird part of me has to try.
      Glad you dropped by and shared your recipe Jennifer!

2. Pierotucci

November 4, 2011 at 10:55 pm

My Mom used to eat pretzel with her ice cream (the whole sweet / salt thing). I personally love mashed potatoes, sauerkraut and applesauce all mixed together.

I invite you to visit our blog, and leave a comment.

November 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I love mashed potatoes..and there is a dish, can’t recall the name, that has sauerkraut mixed with mashed tatos, but the applesauce is a new addition.
      Thanks for the recipe! lol

3. Tereasa

November 4, 2011 at 11:30 pm

You must be related, Christine, because my middle child has always stirred her potatoes, corn and gravy together and sopped it up with bread! The rest of us at the table would gag! LOL!
    As for me, I love to add butter to my bologna sandwich. Nothing esle, just butter.
    Lots of fun answers. I never would have tried the sweet and sour combo of kraut and applesauce!

November 5, 2011 at 1:46 am

I’m having fun reading everyone’s combo’s! I’m with you on the sweet and and sour combo of kraut and applesauce. Interesting!
      Glad you came by 🙂

November 4, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I like to dip my french fries in tarter sauce. 🙂
    XX,

• Sharon Cullen

November 5, 2011 at 12:43 am

Oooh. That’s the best! My husband likes to dip his Wendy’s fries in his Frosty.

November 5, 2011 at 1:47 am

OMG…I’ve seen so many people do that…might have to give it a try, but haven’t yet…lol

November 5, 2011 at 1:47 am

I do too..and sometimes just mayo..not Miracle Whip, but real mayo 🙂

5. Tory Michaels (@ToryMichaels)

November 4, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Oh, I have a bit of a doozy. I haven’t eaten it in a while, and it sounds really gross, but I have fond memories of it.

Hershey chocolate bar dipped in…wait for it…nacho cheese sauce!

No, I did not first try this when I was pregnant, I did it about 15 years ago, and as I recall, it was decent. Not spectacular, mind you, but good. Maybe one of these days I’ll try it again and see what my more “grown up” taste buds think. Heh.

Please, feel free to check out my blog if you’re so inclined. http://torymichaels.blogspot.com

November 5, 2011 at 1:49 am

hmm…I’m trying to wrap my around that taste…lol. It’s funny how sometimes you’d liked something as a kid and when you try it as an adult you wonder what the heck you were thinking. 🙂 Glad you dropped in Tory!

6. Lilly Gayle

November 5, 2011 at 12:11 am

I like to eat left over cold hamburger patties or cold left over steak sprinkled with salt with my fingers. I also eat leftover cold bratwurst the same way. That’s about as weird as I get. My husband eats cold mashed potato and ketchup sandwiches and cold spaghetti and ketchup sandwiches. Now, that man is just weird. lol!

• Sharon Cullen

November 5, 2011 at 12:44 am

My daughter used to mix ketcup into her mashed potatoes until the family revolted and told her she wasn’t allowed to anymore. It was gross looking. A pink blob. Yuck!

• Sharon Cullen

November 5, 2011 at 12:45 am

That should have been “ketchup”

November 5, 2011 at 1:50 am

lol…..love the spaghetti sandwich thing…you know, my hubby puts ketchup on his spaghetti and lasagne..never made sense to me. Speaking of cold foods…I love cold chicken and pizza.
      Thanks for coming by Lilly 🙂

7. Calisa Rhose Rhose

November 5, 2011 at 12:19 am

Years ago my mom introduced me to… Banana sandwiches! Yes, I said banana. Sliced on your fave bread with Miracle Whip. It’s about the only time I’ll eat Miracle Whip, but it has to be that. Try it. Everyone scrunches their noses when I get out my sandwich ingredients.

November 5, 2011 at 1:51 am

lol…another combo I wouldn’t have thought of. I might venture over the fence to try it. Thanks Calisa 🙂

8. Trish

November 5, 2011 at 12:58 am

I LOVE plain potato chips on a ham sandwich, OMG, YUM. Just mayo, ham, a little mustard, and a LOT of plain (preferably ridged) potato chips. You gotta give it a good smush to make sure the pile of chips is in there good and tight. I must eat this alone as there is no way to do it delicately or politely. Even with the smush there will be chip crumbs falling everywhere and greasy fingers as you repeatedly push the chips back between the bread. Best. Sandwich. Ever.

I think I’ll be making a trip to the store this morning….deli ham is on sale.
    BTW, I first tried ketchup on my eggs because of he who you will not name. I owe many a yummy breakfast to him! lol

November 5, 2011 at 1:56 am

LOL…here’s another sandwich for you to try that is similar to the one you make…it’s called Convict Special and the kids love it. The name came from….a friend of mine was married to a guy that was a prison guard, and one of the inmates gave it to him..lol. Okay, here’s the recipe, I guess it’s good to eat while you’re on the run….HAHAHAHA One can of chunk chicken (not tuna fish..has to be chicken) mix it with cheese whiz in saucepan until warm…spread it on bread and top with doritos…no lie, everyone that has eaten it thinks it’s the best!

Glad you dropped in Trish and thanks for swapping recipes!!

November 5, 2011 at 2:28 am

Growing up, we had rice at nearly every meal. All holidays included. Once in a while, mom would splurge and buy a favorite to eat with our bowls of rice: pickled fish guts. Sounds gross, tastes Mm-mm-good.

LOL! Also, peanut butter & jelly and wavy potato chip sandwiches are good.

November 5, 2011 at 3:09 am

Okay, you got me there! I’m usually game to try anything, but the fish guts…pickled no less, might give me pause. lol

And I’m loving the potato chips on sandwiches…seems to be a favorite!

Glad you came by Sheri 🙂

10. mirriamsmyth

November 5, 2011 at 2:56 am

Fried chicken with strawberry ice cream. Tear up a drumstick and dip it in the ice cream… So good!

Oreos dunked in fruit punch. Oh…my…gosh… *sigh* Might have to go buy some now, lol.

November 5, 2011 at 3:10 am

lol…now those are certainly originals, and not combos I’d have thought of! Nice one…or two actually 🙂

11. Susanna

November 5, 2011 at 3:47 am

Shrimp and peanut butter, banana slices and mayo sandwiches 🙂

November 5, 2011 at 4:16 am

Shrimp and peanut butter…who’d have thought? All of these posts are giving me a chance to plan out next weeks menu….hehehehe!

Thanks for sharing Susanna!

12. Kristin Conner

November 5, 2011 at 4:46 am

This was such a fun blog to read! Now, to answer your question about what strange combination of food I enjoy…I put pieces of a Hershey bar inside of a pepperoni roll, let it melt, and enjoy! It is no secret or shameful thing for me, I will eat it in front of anyone! 🙂
    Happy Friday to you!

November 5, 2011 at 5:04 am

LOL…love that combo and wouldn’t have ever came up with it on my own! Thanks for coming by Kristin!

November 5, 2011 at 5:02 am

Hmm, let’s see if I have any gross food combos to share.

I like ketchup on bread–nothing else. I like mustard on bread–nothing else. I like to dip my french fries in soft ice-cream–that’s not gross though. I like apple slices with cream cheese. I like I-can’t-believe-its-not-butter spread on my steak, roast, chicken, and pork chops. I like hot sauce on almost every kind of meat. I like raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing on all my fruit.

November 5, 2011 at 5:14 am

Hot sauce…you sound like my youngest son…hot sauce or ranch dressing on everything..eggs, pizza, sandwiches…you name it….
      I love your variety :0 Thanks for commenting!

14. Joanna Aislinn

November 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Every now and again I have to just taste peanut butter and butter.

I was pregnant for this one but here goes: everything bagel: pb & j on one side; hummus with a slice of cheese on the other (and not pressed together as a sandwich, thank you very much 🙂

Great post idea, Christine!

November 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Another interesting mixture..humus on a bagel with a slice of cheese! I admit I love all of these but never thought of putting them together! lol I wonder how much you’d like them now!

Glad you came by Joanna 🙂