19 Nov

Each Friday I will post a question (something fun, maybe a bit quirky, it’s Friday after all) and include my answer.  You can join the fun and post your own answer by clicking the comment button below!

Since we’re in the midst of November…Turkey Month, I have continued to gear my questions and comments with the Thanksgiving theme!  YUM!

Every year about this time family and friends are in the middle of making traveling plans, organizing menus and looking forward to spending time relaxing with those special to them.

To me Thanksgiving isn’t just about spending time with family and friends…football (if that’s your thing), food, laughs, maybe a day off from work and a nap after dinner if you’re lucky…lol…but a time of reflection.

A time to look back over the last 12 months…good or bad.

Even if you’ve had a rough year and have had more down times than up, I truly believe everyone has had something special happen in their lives in the last twelve months.  An event to celebrate…either professionally or personally, maybe a new friendship, an addition to the family, a chance to change careers or advance in a current one….oh there are so many possibilities!

For me, top priority is always that I’m thankful for my friends and family, their health and mine and for all that we have.  But I have another more selfish thing to be thankful for…

I’m thankful for all the new friends I’ve met from following a path that I’ve wanted to take for years.  Ever since I was small I wrote, as I grew I won some awards and always had the thought that someday I’d like to write a book.  A romance book preferably.  But life gets busy and dreams get pushed aside.  After awhile and a few more conversations beginning with “I wish I could…” my sister nudged me along and suggested that I should ‘go for it’.  So I am!  And I’m thankful for the opportunity, but…

On my journey I’ve met some wonderful people and have made some amazing friendships…all over the internet basically.

So, to all of you wonderful people that I have met along the way.  That I’ve laughed with, and those that have helped me laugh at myself.  To the special people that have encouraged me when I’ve wanted to give up.  To my wonderful cp’s, the other authors I’ve met through various avenues of social media and all the readers who’ve taken the time to share with all the writers out there their thoughts and comments about their work…I just want to say—

THANK YOU!

I can’t express how thankful I am to have met each and every one of you.  My hope is that as we all continue to learn, grow and travel on our writing journey, that we also continue to support and help each other.  This is an awesome community.

Okay, so I know this was a bit more serious than my normal FFF, but I just had to thank all of you and this is the perfect month to do it.

Which brings me to….Drum roll please!   Today’s Friday Fun Facts question…

As mentioned above we are all thankful for those ‘normal’ things like family, friends everyone’s health…but what is something else in your life that you’re thankful for?  Big or small, selfish or not…old or new…

Can’t wait to hear your comments!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Cait O'Sullivan

November 19, 2011 at 12:56 am

Aw lovely post, Christine — I’ll always be thankful that I know you too :-). As the question posed: My spirits are always raised when a day in winter turns out unexpectedly bright, sunny and beautiful. I spend my day being thankful for that!

• Neecy

November 19, 2011 at 1:34 am

I thought so too! XX

November 19, 2011 at 1:49 am

It’s the little things in life sometimes that can affect you the most!

2. Tory Michaels

November 19, 2011 at 12:57 am

I gave birth to my twins and they’re both healthy and active eight month olds. I’m thankful my mom’s no longer in pain and is now hopefully with Dad, enjoying whatever comes after passing.

November 19, 2011 at 1:50 am

Tory, you are a dynamo with twins! And I’m so sorry to hear about your mom, I know how recent that is and am glad she is pain free too! That in itself is a comfort 🙂
      Thanks for coming by!

November 19, 2011 at 1:03 am

I’m thankful for the fact that I recognized it was time to follow my dream to be an author. I’ve spent many, many years taking care of everyone else. Now it’s time for me. Luckily I have a husband who agrees. Dishes pile up, as does laundry. I can write my name on the dust on most of my furniture. Many nights dinner is eggs and toast, or carry in Chinese or pizza. But it’s okay, cause my family knows if mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy!

Happy Thanksgiving to all–especially my wonderful, fabulous, amazing critique group. Thank you ladies.

• Cheryl Yeko

November 19, 2011 at 1:20 am

What an inspiring story.

-Cheryl

• Cheryl Yeko

November 19, 2011 at 1:22 am

lol…okay, that response was meant for Sharon ;>)

Hey Callie!!

-Cheryl

November 19, 2011 at 1:52 am

oh Callie…that is so sweet! Love it…and I’m glad you are following your dreams too…with much support. That’s a big hurdle for sure!

November 19, 2011 at 1:52 am

lol….you are too funny Cheryl….you just did something I’d do…. 🙂

4. Loralee Lillibridge

November 19, 2011 at 1:09 am

I’m thankful for a New Friend – you!!

November 19, 2011 at 1:53 am

Loralee….thank you too! I’m so glad we’ve had the chance to connect….sometimes the internet and all this tech stuff is overwhelming, but think of all we’d be missing…and the friends we’d have never made…if it wasn’t for our computers!

I’m thankful for you too!!!

November 19, 2011 at 1:14 am

This is a post close to my heart. I have so much to be thankful for this year. On May 9 my husband was involved in a bicycle accident that left him in a coma, with part of his skull removed to allow for swelling. He stayed in his coma 9 days, was in neuro ICU for 14 days and in a rehabilitation hospital for 11 days. When he awoke he was like a child and I suddenly became a caregiver–not realizing what that truly meant. Because he’s a police officer, the doctors weren’t all that optimistic about his returning to work.

He struggled and he overcame. He is back to work full-time. He’s months and months ahead of schedule and more importantly, his personality is intact. Something I feared wouldn’t happen.

So I’m thankful for the woman who found him lying on the sidewalk and called 911. I’m thankful for the fast actions of the EMTs and the ER doctors who called air flight immediately. I’m thankful for all the nurses and doctors who patched him together and who were upbeat and optimistic when I couldn’t be.

I’m extremely thankful for my friends and my husband’s coworkers who rallied around the kids and I. Who drove my kids to soccer and to the hospital, who cut our grass and did home repairs, who stood in front of the press when I was bombarded. Who held my hand and ate numerous hospital cafeteria meals with me. Who walked me to my car every single night so I wouldn’t walk alone.

I’m thankful for the thousands of people across the world who put my husband on their prayer lists. The prayers worked.

Most of all, I’m thankful for my husband who wouldn’t give up. Who wouldn’t take no for an answer and who ran a 5k five months after he awoke from his coma and four months after he learned to walk again.

• Neecy

November 19, 2011 at 1:31 am

Wow, Sharon! So thankful for you!

November 19, 2011 at 1:56 am

Sharon, what an inspiring story! You have definitely had a challenging year, but with all the wonderful support you had, you were lucky. So thankful that your husband recovered and is doing well.

Your story brought tears to my eyes! So happy for you that all is working out.

• mirriamsmyth

November 19, 2011 at 5:57 am

Wow, what an amazing story 🙂 Happy and thankful for you and your husband that he’s alive and well and doing so much better than the doctors anticipated!

November 19, 2011 at 1:34 am

Christine, you are so sweet! I am thankful for so much and your friendship as well. It’s been great getting to know ya!

November 19, 2011 at 1:56 am

Right back at you! I didn’t think this post would make me so emotional…lol…but I am 🙂

7. Jerrie Alexander

November 19, 2011 at 1:38 am

Great post Christine. The posts are inspiring and remind me to be more grateful for having my family near me.

We’re fortunate to be a healthy bunch of Texans. We gather around the table, eat until we’re silly and then root for the Cowboys. And that’s not just on holidays! (Well, those of us who don’t doze off!)

November 19, 2011 at 1:57 am

lol…thanks for coming by Jerrie! Your family sounds like mine…except I have no idea what team they are rooting for…I just yell when they do 🙂

8. Grace Hood

November 19, 2011 at 1:53 am

Okay, after being thankful to my fabulously supportive hubby, my two amazing almost-grown sons, my family who loves me despite my foibles and the other everyday things I take for granted but are really blessings (food, warmth, safety), I am thankful for the ability to stream live radio from around the world. I can tune into the CBC from the city of my birth and hear about places and people that I grew up with. Or I can listen to any number of BBC shows that are educational, thought provoking, or wet-my-pants hilarious.

November 19, 2011 at 1:59 am

Hi Grace…love all that you are thankful for! As for streaming live radio…that is a blessing. You must be a bit techie hmmm? That is so amazing all that you can tune into to…love it!

Thank you for stopping by and sharing…might have to chit chat with the hubs about live radio….hehehehe

9. Calisa Rhose Rhose

November 19, 2011 at 2:03 am

I’m thankful for short cuts. I’d love to see you list each and every one of those you are thankful for…by name!

Really though, I’ve been writing (if one can call those frankensteins under my bed writing) since I was fifteen. Longer if I count my poetry I began writing at 10-11 yrs old. My 8th grade teacher xeroxed two of those poems and handed them out to every student and teacher in my small school (it had a few more than one room), she was so proud of me. It wasn’t until my youngest daughter was in her junior year of high school that I decided, after years of encouragement from my wonderful real life hero and husband, to write to publish. I discovered eHarlequin and their forums and grew wonderful friendships and found my first true cps. Six years later I finally have my first book soon to be released with more awesome writers from The Wild Rose Press.

I’m so thankful for my editor, Nan Swanson for liking my story and seeing the possibilities of it. And for WRP’s owner, Rhonda for passing it along to Nan in the first place. My Outlaws of OKRWA for inspiring the story as part of a series rock! Oh and Tina Lynn… I love my cover!

Thanks Christine. Great post!

November 19, 2011 at 2:08 am

Hi Calisa…another beautiful story! Thank you for sharing…it’s always fun to learn something more about a friend 🙂

November 19, 2011 at 3:12 am

I love this post–and this is a tradition we have as well when my family gets together for Thanksgiving. We have to tell what we are thankful for–and it can’t be the obvious stuff like family, health, etc, etc,

First, I have to echo your THANK YOU to all the friends you’ve made traveling this writing road. I can never thank my cp’s and the friends I’ve made during my journey. You all helped me, laughed with me, and made me a better writer and person. THANK YOU!!!
    I’m also thankful I got over my fears and finally sent out queries. I’m also thankful I decided to self publish one of my short stories called Zomboro Virus. For all the people who have bought a copy, you are my heroes!
    I have more to be thankful for, but my post would be too long.

November 19, 2011 at 3:48 am

That’s a wonderful tradition Brenda, and we’ve done that from time to time at our Thanksgiving too, but not a yearly thing. I might have to ‘make’ everyone participate this year. lol

I’m so excited that you’ve sent out queries….you keep us updated!

11. relatedreality

November 19, 2011 at 4:00 am

What a wonderful post Christine! You are such a sweet person! I am thankful for the ‘nudge’ that I gave myself here recently, to be able to get back into writing. I have been blessed beyond measure to be able to connect with such a great people over the internet. Thank you Christine for your encouraging words and for being so supportive of other writers!

November 19, 2011 at 4:11 am

You are too sweet! Thank you for the warm words and well wishes!

12. mirriamsmyth

November 19, 2011 at 6:04 am

Gosh, there’s so much to be thankful for, from what I take for granted (like breathing, lol) to making it home safely every night from work (the commute’s an hour and a half).

But there’s a couple/few that stand out the most:

For my husband’s job. 🙂 He’s been in trade school for two years to be a mechanic and was employed by Honda in September. His job pays for our medical and dental benefits, a huge plus since we paid out of pocket for almost six years.

For the CPs I’ve befriended, the crit groups I’ve joined, and my writer friends (you included, Christine!) who’ve helped me grow in leaps and bounds as a writer. I hope to do you all proud and not waste the advice you’ve all given me this past year.

Thanks for such a great post today, Christine. 🙂

November 19, 2011 at 6:44 am

I don’t enjoy you your commute, Mirriam. Of course I do know I always seem to get a lot of plot issues worked out while I’m in the car. But my sister lived in southern CA for about 10 years and her commute was always 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way too…that’s unbelievable!

Glad you liked the post because I loved your comment! The writing community online is incredible for sure 🙂

13. Jennifer Lowery~Author

November 19, 2011 at 6:46 am

Fun post, Christine! I’m thankful to have a wonderful supportive family who allows me to live my dream of becoming a published writer. Still waiting on the published part, but loving it!

November 19, 2011 at 8:41 am

Jennifer, you’ll be pubbed soon! I can feel it. Your stories and writing are wonderful 🙂

November 19, 2011 at 7:04 am

I am thankful to be self-employed and making a decent living – from my home. Those 2 minute commutes, working in jammies and the extra time I get to spend with the Husband and bebe? Priceless!!

November 19, 2011 at 8:41 am

Sounds like a dream Kristina! I want to be just like you 🙂

Thanks for commenting!

15. Tereasa

November 19, 2011 at 7:12 am

This post has so many touching stories in it,I’ve teared up more than once. I’m thankful that the bumps in my life have been small. And that despite the harder ones, I’ve managed to hand on to this desire to write. And through the journey have many wonderful people who have lifted up, like you, Christine. You’re such a joy!

16. Tereasa

November 19, 2011 at 7:13 am

should have been ‘lifted me up’

: )

November 19, 2011 at 8:42 am

Tere, you’re such a wonderful friend! So glad we met and so glad that I’ve helped you as you’ve helped me.

And I’m with you…I’ve teared up a few times myself today….

Glad you dropped in 🙂

17. Lia Davis

November 19, 2011 at 9:06 am

I’m thankful for my husband, who keeps me grounded :), my family (even the ones I have issues with) and my friends (old and new), who support and encourage me to live my dream of writing. Great post.

November 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Beautiful answer Lia…and I’m glad you liked the post 🙂

18. Katherine

November 19, 2011 at 11:02 am

Christine, what a wonderful post. I’ve spent a great deal of time lately reflecting on what I’m thankful for. There are so many things even if the love and support of family and friends aren’t included but I’ll name two here.

The first – I’m so thankful for my wonderful fellow Wild Rose Press authors who patiently answered my numerous, and I mean numerous, questions about promotion and social media. (I didn’t even have a facebook account before I was published.)

The second – I’m so very thankful for my friend, Wendy. I’ve had some really bad downs this past year and she was always there to lend an ear and a shoulder. She picked me up when I was down and held me up when I couldn’t stand on my own under the weight of what was happening. I don’t think I would have gotten through this past year without her.

I’m also thankful for all the new friendships I’ve made and hope to make as I travel the road of being a published author.

November 19, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Hi Katherine! So glad you stopped by 🙂 TWRP site is awesome and all the authors are great. learning all the ins and outs of promotion is a hard course! lol

Glad that you have such a wonderful friendship…family is always important, but it’s always a bonus when you have a friendship that is like family.

November 19, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I’m thankful that my dad didn’t turn his back on me like my mother did. I’m glad I have a daughter who loves me and I love beyond measure. I’m grateful for a good husband and am grateful to have a job in these times. I’m grateful to live in a beautiful place, and am able to have my horses, cats and dogs.

November 19, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Thank you for coming by D’Ann…love your heartfelt answers!

20. Zee Monodee

November 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I’m thankful to still be alive, firstly, and not doing too bad health-wise, secondly. I’ve brushed with cancer twice, but everytime (thank God!), I’ve come out the winner and been allowed to live the rest of my life ‘normally’.
    I’m thankful I know what matters in my life now, thankful I don’t chase behind stuff that I thought would make me happy but were in fact smokescreens of deception.
    I’m thankful I’ve got a wonderful man in my life, whom I love to bits despite wanting to throttle him half the time, and that he loves me and takes me as I am, without any need or desire for me to change except if I want to better myself.

November 19, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Zee, your story and all you’ve been through is another one of inspiration. Your a strong lady and I’m glad to know you!

• Zee Monodee