24 Nov

Welcome to WHAT TO READ WEDNESDAY!

Each Wednesday I will feature a different author and they will share a bit with us about themselves and one of their books.  So let’s get started.

Today I’d like to welcome Callie Hutton.

Hi Callie, I’m excited to have you here and congrats on your new release!  You’re actually a busy lady and have a Historical releasing today titled A RUN FOR LOVE and then on December 1st you have another historical coming out titled A WIFE BY CHRISTMAS.

And just a little plug here, at the end of this interview, find out how you have 3 chances to win a digital copy of either A RUN FOR LOVE or A WIFE BY CHRISTMAS.

Before you tell us about your new book, can you tell today’s readers a bit about yourself?

I live in Oklahoma with my husband and two children – well hardly children, since they’re 19 and 21. We have two dogs and a new kitten. I’ve been writing for years, but only last summer decided to write a romance novel, something I’d been telling myself for years I would do.

Coffee or tea?

Depends. Mostly coffee, but I’ve been known to enjoy a spot of tea from time to time.

A good book or a good movie?  Why?

A good book, although I do enjoy movies. I don’t like sitting still for long periods of time, and when I’m reading, I usually hop up and down every couple of chapters. Other people in the movies don’t generally appreciate that.  Strange.

I can certainly understand the need to stay seated.  Lol  Tell us your favorite type of book to read and why?

Romance. I love happy endings. My favorite type of romance is humorous. I mostly read historical, but I read contemporary every once in a while when something appeals to me.

Nothing like a romance that gives you a chuckle.  What genres do you write in?

Historical romance—usually western. I have one contemporary novella due to be released next year with The Wild Rose Press.

If you could’ve written any book, which book would you choose and why?

Gone With the Wind. I loved Scarlett. Although that didn’t have a happy ending. But I’ve read it seventeen times.

I’ve never read the book, but loved the movie.  Does that count…lol.  Is there something you do as a ritual when writing?  For instance do you need to wear a pair of lucky socks, drink a certain beverage, have certain music playing?

Nope. I write anywhere I can carry my laptop.

Finish this sentence for me….If I had to sum up what A Run For Love is about…

I would say it’s about never giving up on someone you love.

Why a A Run For Love?  Where did your inspiration for this story come from?

I was a History major in college, hence my love of historical romance. A Run For Love begins with the Oklahoma Territory Land Run in 1889.  I had not heard the story of the land run until I moved to Oklahoma. It totally fascinated me, and I just had to write a love story surrounding it.

Can you tell us two things you love about your hero?

I love his strength of character and his tenacity.

Your heroine?

I love how independent she is, but learns by the end of the story to rely on others when she needs to.

If your book was made into a movie, which actor would you choose to play your hero?

Jake Gyllenhaal

Your heroine?

Emma Watson

Will you share an excerpt of A Run For Love with us?

Annoyance stalled her steps when she saw the man from the woods yesterday washing dishes in the creek. With the hundreds of people getting ready for the race at noon, the only empty space remained next to him. Tori knelt and wet her washcloth, averting her gaze. Her heart thudded, hoping he wouldn’t notice her.

“Still here, are you?”

She clenched her jaw at the sound of that voice. He stood over her, a grin on his face. Now that she saw him without shadows, it irritated her when her heart sped up.

Lord save me from another handsome face and charming smile.

“Yes, I’m still here.” Her voice rose. “And I plan to spend tonight camped on my own lot.”

“Easy honey, I’m not the enemy.” He put his hands up in surrender.

“Don’t call me honey!”

“Sorry.”  His smile contradicted his apology.  “A woman alone dragging a wagon and a passel of kids will most likely spend the night right outside Arkansas City pushing on her horse’s rump.”

This man had all the nerve in the world. “I will get my lot in town, sir. And I will make a life for myself and my family. Believe it or not, I’ll even do it without anyone’s help.” She raised one eyebrow and flicked her fingers at him. “Now I’ll thank you to leave me in peace and mind your own business.” She turned back and mumbled, “And your manners.” She splashed her face with such vigor that water went up her nose, causing her to cough and choke.

I love his humor and she sounds like a strong heroine.  What was the easiest part of your book to write?

The Ladies League for Decency march.

The hardest?

The Land Run. It was important to get all the historical facts correct.

What’s the best advice you received on your journey to publication?

Write, write, write. Read, read, read.

Great advice.  What can we expect next from Callie Hutton?

A sequel to A Run For Love, featuring Ellie Henderson (the youngest niece, all grown up). A Wife By Christmas will be released from Soul Mate Publishing on December 1st.

Can you share an excerpt with us for A Wife By Christmas?

High School Principal Max Colbert needs to get rid of that pesky History teacher, Ellie Henderson. Getting her married off is the perfect solution, except everyone he introduces her to doesn’t seem right.

In 1906 Guthrie, Oklahoma, History teacher, Ellie Henderson, has been a thorn in High School Principal Max Colbert’s side ever since he took over three months ago. When she’s not flying by his office, late for her class, with books and papers jumbled in her arms, she’s attending Suffragettes meetings against his orders.

Because of her family connections, he can’t fire her, but he can certainly find someone to marry her, and keep her busy in the kitchen. And far away from his school. Max soon finds that what seemed like a good idea can turn into disaster when Miss Ellie Henderson is involved. The woman is a master at getting into trouble.

With the Christmas season in full swing, he has many opportunities to introduce her to prospective husbands. However, the uncomfortable feeling is growing that no one is worthy of the minx…

I have to tell you that both of your covers are G O R G E O U S !!!

And finally Callie, where can we find you and your books? My website www.calliehutton.com. And Soul Mate Publishing.  Hope to see you there!

Click here to view the beautiful book trailer for A Run For Love!  You’ll love it 🙂

As promised above, Callie is giving away one download of either A RUN FOR LOVE  on Friday November 25th, or A WIFE BY CHRISTMAS on it’s release date of December 1st to one lucky winner.

All you need to do is leave a comment with your email address either here, on Callie’s blog or Calisa Rhose’s blog where Callie kicked off her tour yesterday.  Leave one comment on any blog and you’re entered one time, but if you visit all three blogs and comment on each one, you’ll be entered for three chances to WIN!!!

Callie will announce the winner on Friday, November 25th on each blog!  GOOD LUCK!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Cait O'Sullivan

November 24, 2011 at 12:29 am

Sounds fantastic, Callie, I for one can’t wait to read A Run For Love. And I second Christine — your book covers are wonderful, far and away the nicest I have seen. Congrats on all your books coming out too!

November 24, 2011 at 1:20 am

Hi Cait…I know…I could stare at Callie’s book covers all day…beautiful 🙂

November 24, 2011 at 12:46 am

Thanks, Cait. Thanks for stopping by. Hmm. I think you’ve read it? At least part.

November 24, 2011 at 12:56 am

Christine, thanks so much for having me. I will do the honors when yours debuts in March.

November 24, 2011 at 1:19 am

My Pleasure Callie…so excited to have you here. Glad that you can share your books with everyone!

4. Loralee Lillibridge

November 24, 2011 at 1:02 am

Thanks, Christine, for introducing me to a new author to add to my list of “must reads”.
    Congrats, Callie, on your debut. Wishing you much success. And yes, your covers are lovely!

November 24, 2011 at 1:19 am

Hi Loralee! Thanks for coming by. I’m looking forward to your next release too 🙂

November 24, 2011 at 2:10 am

Thanks, Loralee. I appreciate you stopping by.

November 24, 2011 at 3:16 am

Wonderful interview ladies! I love the humor of this. Having come late you our group I hadn’t read any of this story. Sounds charming!
    Colleen, there’s a movie, with Nicole Kidman I believe, about Irish immigrants trying to make their way by joining the Land Run. Very realistic.

Happy Release Day today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 24, 2011 at 3:37 am

Yes, I saw that movie. The part I liked the best was the land run. It had Tom Cruise in it also.

Hmmm. I didn’t realize you were in our group for this one. But I’m sure you did A Wife By Christmas.

November 24, 2011 at 4:10 am

Great ladies, now you’re going to make me look up that movie! I remember watching it too!

November 24, 2011 at 3:21 am

I LOVE the cover for A Wife By Christmas. GORGEOUS!

November 24, 2011 at 3:37 am

Thanks Sharon. I think you would enjoy the story, too. Thanks for stopping by, and good luck with the contest.

7. Tereasa

November 24, 2011 at 3:25 am

I’ll chime in with the rest, the covers are lovely! And both stories sound wonderful. Best wishes,
    Tere

November 24, 2011 at 3:38 am

Thanks, Tere. I appreciate you stopping by and your comments.

November 24, 2011 at 3:56 am

I started off reading historical romance and swore I was born in the wrong era. The OK land run sounds like an interesting time period, much like the goldrush was here in California. A Run For Love is going in my TBR list!
    Sherifredricks@charter.net

November 24, 2011 at 4:21 am

Hi Sheri,

Thanks for stopping by. I love historical, too. Things were not so fast, and certain behaviors expected, which I think adds depth to the romance.

November 24, 2011 at 6:40 am

Historicals are new for me, but I like the slow pace and the way the romance evolves so the reader can learn about the characters.

9. Nancy

November 24, 2011 at 5:04 am

Happy Release Day! What great stories to snap up and get lost in! Love it! And, seriously, your covers are gorgeous. A Wife by Christmas is especially evocative!

November 24, 2011 at 6:37 am

Perfect way to say it Nancy…they are great stories to get lost in!

November 24, 2011 at 6:55 am

Thanks, Nancy. I had a lot of fun writing them. Thanks for stopping by.

10. Lynne Marshall

November 24, 2011 at 5:20 am

Hi Callie and Christine – I enjoyed the interview and both of your book covers are beautiful. You are one fortunate lady to sell your first novel. From the excerpt, I can see why!

best wishes,
    Lynne

November 24, 2011 at 6:37 am

Hi Lynne…great to have you stop by! Glad you enjoyed the interview 🙂

November 24, 2011 at 6:56 am

Thanks, Lynne. I love history, and when I heard the story of the Land Run, it really captivated me. Thanks for stopping by.

11. Nancy Jardine

November 24, 2011 at 7:14 am

Congratulations on both releases. I’m sure doing promo for both makes you a very busy lady. Never give up sounds like a very good maxim!

November 24, 2011 at 7:29 am

Hi Nancy,

Yes, it is a bit hectic, but I was smart enough to order my Thanksgiving dinner from the local supermarket. Time for mama to have a break and do something for herself, lol! Thanks for stopping by.

November 24, 2011 at 8:33 am

Callie..you are too funny! Glad you are taking a break tomorrow though…and that you found the already made Green Bean Casserole by your new friend Marie Calender. LOL

12. ChristineWarner

November 24, 2011 at 11:56 am

Thanks to everyone for stopping by and THANKS again Callie for celebrating your debut release with us!

November 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Yes, and thank you Christine for having me on my Release Day. Hopefully, one of you will win a free download of either A Run For Love or A Wife Before Christmas.

Happy Thanksgiving.

13. Cheryl Yeko

November 24, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hey Callie, your all over the net lately. Never know where you’re gonna pop up next!!

Congrats on the book release and have a great Turkey day!

-Cheryl

November 24, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Hey Cheryl, I’m trying, lol. Thanks for stopping by.

November 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm

She was a busy girl today Cheryl…I think she appeared on 3 blogs today! Whew 🙂

November 24, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Fantastic interview with awesome questions.
    Callie, your covers are stunning!

November 24, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Thank you so much, Brenda. I appreciate that.

November 24, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for coming by Brenda…glad you liked the interview…and you are so right…amazing covers. Callie is a lucky lady 🙂

15. Shirley Wine

November 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Read,read,read and write,write, write are what makes authors. Your advice is absolutely spot on. Both books sound so very interesting. The covers are intriguing. I can’t read enough American Historicals they have a flavour all of their own. Best of luck and wishing you lots of download.

November 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm

So happy you stopped by Shirley! Happy reading and good luck with Callie’s contest 🙂

• Shirley Wine

November 26, 2011 at 6:27 am

Christine
        I can’t see me ever not making time to read. I’ve just read Lilian Darcy’s latest release: The Mummy Miracle and shed more than a few tears. A truly moving story about a mother giving birth while in a coma.

November 26, 2011 at 1:24 am

Thanks,Shirley. I appreciate your comments. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

• Shirley Wine

November 26, 2011 at 6:21 am

Callie
        We don’t have Thanksgiving here in the South Pacific. Rather than Autumn we are in the midst of a cool blustery spring….roll on Summer. Although after spending a week in Brisbane at 39degrees C I welcomed our cooler New Zealand weather, Here our Autumn coincides with Easter and harvest festivals. And we don’t have the extremes of winter either…a slight dust of snow in our area makes newspaper headlines.

16. Zee Monodee

November 25, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Loved the interview! Great to get to know you, Callie. 🙂 The books sound great and the covers are truly gorgeous

My email is zeemonodee@hotmail.com 🙂

November 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Thanks for coming by Zee!

November 26, 2011 at 1:24 am

Thanks Zee. I appreciate that. I was pleased with the covers myself.

November 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’m excited to announce that Donna Shields, Soul Mate Publishing author of The Swan Cove Murders has won the Release Week contest. She will receive a free download of either A Run For Love, or A Wife By Christmas when it becomes available on December 1st.

Congrats, Donna, I’m very happy for you. I hope you enjoy whichever book you choose.