25 Nov

Each Friday I will post a question (something fun, maybe a bit quirky, it’s Friday after all) and include my answer.  You can join the fun and post your own answer by clicking the comment button below!

Well, Thanksgiving 2011 is officially over…another year past!  Fun with family and friends…great eats, good times and hopefully some laughs has ended…at least for the month of November.

Now the serious stuff is about to start.  That’s right….

BLACK FRIDAY!

I’m not sure if this is a world-wide phenomenon, of if this is something that only happens in the States.

But I do know several people that started planning and plotting their routes, counting their cash, searching for coupons, pre-shopping online and in flyers before the Turkey day dishes were cleared from the table!

I have a confession to make here.  I used to love shopping.  LOVED IT!  But as my life became busier, I married, had children, and juggled this all with working…I just found it to be another chore.  Now don’t get me wrong, I love to find things for my loved ones that I know they’ll enjoy, but I’m more the type to know what I’m looking for, get in and get out.  I don’t want to browse and shop and spend hours combing the malls looking for something that I have no clue as to what it is.  🙂  Most of the time I start shopping months ahead and put things away, so that when this time of year rolls around, I’m basically finished.  I might need one or two things, or a few stocking stuffers, but that’s about it.  And I like it.

But every year I’d hear the hype about BLACK FRIDAY and wonder if maybe I was missing something.  Friends would tell me about some awesome deals they’d find, share some funny stories of people they encountered while waiting in line for the next best thing that only two stores in the whole city had 3 of, or share how they witnessed some shopper become overwhelmed with the good sales that they’d faint, an ambulance would be called—oh you get what I’m saying.  The drama of it all.  Lol

So, a few years back my sister and I decided to blaze a trail down the crowded highways in bumper to bumper traffic and make our way into the busy shopping district to see what awesome deals we could find.  Or maybe just witness something really amazing like two ladies duking it out for the last iPod-bedazzled-touchscreen-sony playstation-3D-handheld gadget that holds up to 15 gazillion ebooks in 23 foreign languages and does it all with unlimited hours.  UGH!

So what did we do…we got up before it should be legal to do so, showered and prepped for a day of running the stores then made our way into town.  LOL…okay, I have to admit I was already finished shopping so wasn’t in a huge rush to plow someone over to get the last of anything, but I did find a dvd player for $10…bought 3…and got this incredible electric griddle for $15.  Score!!!

But I wasn’t so overwhelmed that I felt it necessary to do again.  Oh sure, last year we talked about it, in a nostalgic way, even toyed with the idea of doing a repeat.  But we never did.

Which brings me to….Drum roll please!   Today’s Friday Fun Facts question…

This is a two-parter, so get ready!  Do you hit the pavement on Black Friday decked out in running shoes and your debit or credit card squeezed in your grasp so tight it has the potential to snap?  If so, what’s the best deal you’ve gotten?

Can’t wait to hear your comments!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Cait O'Sullivan

November 25, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Okay commenting from the UK here — Black Friday, I think, is slowly catching on. Amazon.co.uk have it, as do some of the online stores but there isn’t a big song and dance about it. None of the high street stores seem to do it. So I can’t answer your fun fact today. Although I must admit, i’ve been wondering what it was — now I know! Thanks Christine.

November 26, 2011 at 2:11 am

I was wondering if it was just an even that took place mainly in the States….now I know too. Thanks Cait 🙂

I wonder if eventually it’ll take off a bit more in the UK…will be interesting to watch 🙂

2. Zee Monodee

November 26, 2011 at 12:09 am

We don’t have Black Friday either here in Mauritius, 🙂 but I think the equivalent, at least to me, is the sales weeks at the big shopping venues. We call them “Braderies” here, which another French word for ‘sales’, lol.

My husband actually quivers in his shoes when he hears there’s a Braderie somewhere and I’m planning to go. I always end up getting great deals, mostly on clothes and shoes, but you have to fight to get in and out of the shops, and sometimes people even snatch stuff from your hands the minute your fingers touch the item. Mad indeed!

November 26, 2011 at 2:15 am

That is crazy Zee! People snatching stuff right from your hands. Hard to believe that someone would go to that extreme. That is the stuff my nieces and friends have told me about, but I didn’t witness anything like that the one time I went.

• Zee Monodee

November 26, 2011 at 5:35 am

Lol, indeed! And Braderies happen 1-2 times a year, at each of the shopping venues. There’s the waterfront village in the capital city, the new mall which is inland, and another shopping gallery in my town.

I had to fight a woman for a long shirt dress from a store called Out of Africa here, at the waterfront village – I grabbed the dress out of the pile a second before she did. 🙂

Then there was a sale at Aldo about 6 months ago. I got a pair of ballet flats at more than 50% discount, and had to nudge another girl off to get the last pair. It helped that I wear size 38 and she was a 39 – the last remaining pair was a size 38 Lol

November 26, 2011 at 12:37 am

Cait Black Friday is comparable to your Boxing holiday on December 26th, shop to you drop kinda thing! Everything is on sale and what not. LOL
    As to the question, I never go shopping on Black Friday! LOL. But I love to read the horror stories the next day in the paper. Women fighting over toys and standing in line, it’s all very comical to me. People forget the reason for the season this day, I stay home.
    Have a great day.

• Cait O'Sullivan

November 26, 2011 at 12:49 am

Ah thanks Neecy! You wouldn’t catch me dead in a shop on Boxing Day (St Stephen’s Day in Ireland). I do not have the patience to sort through the deals whilst being elbowed on all sides by women a LOT more determined that me lol. Have a great day you too!

November 26, 2011 at 2:17 am

I’m with you Cait…I’ll wait 🙂

November 26, 2011 at 2:17 am

So right Denice….people need to calm down a bit and remember the reason for the seaon. It’s fun to get a great deal, but no need to get crazy and mean about it.

November 26, 2011 at 1:40 am

Nope. Never do Black Friday. However, there was one time –and it was a mistake. We were in NJ visiting relatives for Thanksgiving. The next day hubby and I, and our two young adult kids decided to take the Staten Island Ferry (free, BTW) to Manhattan for a day in New York. We walked around lower Manhattan for a while, then took the subway to mid-town.

Believe it or not, we found ourselves inside Macy’s Department store on Fifth Avenue in New York City on Black Friday. Ugh. Never, never, never to be repeated. We were so frazzled by the time we got out (actually pushed out way out), we hopped in a cab and headed for the ferry.

To those of you who do Black Friday, I salute you!

November 26, 2011 at 2:23 am

I would’ve been afraid I think Callie! I can respect the people that dare venture out, but I know it’s definitely not for me. I’d rather pay full price than do battle. lol

November 26, 2011 at 1:47 am

I have gone out on Black Friday–it was a nightmare for someone who doesn’t like crowds. This year all my family have to work so I won’t be going.

November 26, 2011 at 2:23 am

To me if I’ve done it once, I’m good. Can’t picture myself venturing out again unless it was to observe from a distance. lol

6. Karen

November 26, 2011 at 2:46 am

I abhore shopping. Period. 🙂 Black Friday, to me, is like the kiss of death. To be avoided…at all costs. There is nothing out there, no matter how it’s priced that would induce me to join this particular fray. Maybe it’s because I worked at a major discount store as a supervisor in my youth that I built up an intolerance to the experience. Although I’ve never particularly enjoyed shopping.

Like you, I’m basically finished. I’m doing most of my shopping online since I discovered this one outfit that fits most of my needs. Yeah, I’ll hit the stores yet before Christmas but it won’t be anywhere near Black Friday or Christmas.

November 26, 2011 at 2:53 am

Online shopping is great….and like you mentioned I will hit the stores yet before Christmas for a few minor things…but if I’m lucky it won’t be anywhere near a mall. LOL

What happened to the years that I liked to shop? I guess everything goes in stages, and I’m fine being in the stage of my life where I’d rather miss all the ‘excitement’…lol

Thanks for coming by Karen 🙂

7. Tereasa

November 26, 2011 at 3:43 am

Usually I do Black Friday with my daughters to have lunch and get a look at what’s available. The stores are brimming with people, packages and Christmas music! Lots of happy faces. I’m lucky because I’ve only run into good people. One lady even offered me the last leopard print throw. : )
    I didn’t go this year because the girls were busy so last night- at midnight- I went by myself. And the biggest savings I got was a single cup coffee maker for $2.49 and a hand mixer for 4 bucks.

November 26, 2011 at 4:31 am

Wow Tereasa, you got some good deals! I do remember when I went that one time and waited in line for over 2 hours, the lady in front of me was super nice and we had a great chat. She even let me check out before her since I only had 4 items and she had 2 cart fulls. LOL

Glad you came by 🙂

November 26, 2011 at 3:51 am

My name is Sheri Fredricks…and I HATE shopping. There, I said it. I hate going to the grocery store, buying clothes for anyone in my family, even hate finding a new pair of shoes. There are only two stores I like entering: a hardware store and any feed/tack store. Black Friday? Waste of time! When I do have to shop, I always have a list in hand and then it’s an IN and OUT no-brainer experience. The closest Macy’s is 3 hrs. from me, Wal-Mart is 45 minutes. I like it that way.

November 26, 2011 at 4:32 am

Hi Sheri, thank you for joining our support group. lol!

I’m with you…and actually the feedstore not far from my house has some great things…I’ve found the best bird feeders there…gorgeous ones.

November 26, 2011 at 3:51 am

We don’t have B.F in Canada–but my sister heads down to Seattle and Bellingham to do some BF shopping.
    Our big sales are on Boxing Day–I’ve gone a couple times, but I don’t really care for shopping.
    When I do shop, I basically know what I’m after and prefer to get in/get out as fast as I can.

November 26, 2011 at 4:33 am

I’m surprised by how many of us don’t care for shopping!

LOL..kind of interesting 🙂

Thanks for commenting Brenda 🙂

10. Lynne Marshall

November 26, 2011 at 4:05 am

His Chrsitine.
    I’ve been mildly intrigued by the concept, but never felt compelled to get up in the middle of the night, or to camp out for anything. I guess I’ve never wanted anything enough to do that.

Also – I hate crowds. Don’t like getting pushed or elbow (unintentionally, I’m sure, but I still don’t like it) and I have a thing about noise.

Besides – black Friday is now branching out to the Internet – I can get some great deals online! Win-win. 🙂

Be careful out there everybody!

November 26, 2011 at 4:36 am

I’m with you Lynne..and you’re right, the internet has changed the playing field…for the better in my opinion 🙂

Thanks for coming by 🙂

November 26, 2011 at 4:46 am

I’ve done Black Friday exactly once. All I walked away with was a 4 GB flash drive for $9. I was in heaven, but not enticed enough to repeat yet. I was tempted this year when Walmart offered a laptop for $148, but still didn’t get out of bed until I had to. lol I like my sleep too much I guess.

November 26, 2011 at 5:18 am

lol…I’m with you! Let me sleep….I can shop later 🙂

12. Zee Monodee

November 26, 2011 at 5:38 am

OMG!! Where are the other shopaholics like me??? Gaaaahhh! I’m so outnumbered here!!! 🙂

November 26, 2011 at 5:41 am

lol…don’t be afraid…we’re still a nice bunch! I actually thought I’d be in the minority with the shopping thing…so this post is surprising me today too 🙂

13. Joanna Aislinn

November 26, 2011 at 10:54 am

Once upon a time, I loved shopping too but like you, Christine, the whole hang-around-the-mall-just-to-see-what-I-can-find just doesn’t interest me any more. (A walk around TJ Maxx can be another story.)

My Black Friday stories are here: http://joannaaislinn.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/scenes-of-a-black-friday-and-some-memories-too/.

If you have some time and want to, check them out and share your experiences too!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We most certainly did. Probably one of our best. Here’s to a great weekend, friends!

November 26, 2011 at 11:05 am

We have so much in common Joanna! lol I’m on my way to check out your blog, but for some reason it now eats my comments. I’ve tried to post on several the last few weeks and they disappear.

And we also had a wonderful Thanksgiving…quieter than years previous…but that’s fine with me 🙂

November 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Being as how I work at Target, it is a PIA.

November 26, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I can’t even imagine how it would be to work while all that craziness is going on! You’re one courageous woman D’Ann 🙂

15. relatedreality

November 27, 2011 at 12:51 am

My husband and I left our house at 11 pm Thursday night and did not return home until 7 am Friday morning! It is now Saturday morning and my sleep schedule is still thrown off, my body continues to ache from all of the (fast paced) walking, and my eating routine is still out of whack. Would I do this again? Probably not. The hustle and bustle and being out in the 20 degree weather isn’t worth the few items we picked up. However, on a good note, I did manage to get myself a new HP laptop for a ridiculously low price! I prefer to tackle my shopping online, that way I can stay in my pj’s and not worry about how many people I have to deal with in order to get it!

November 27, 2011 at 1:20 am

You echo my thoughts on BF! But am glad you found a great deal on an HP…that’s exciting!

I almost think it’s a must try at least once type of thing….and if you enjoy it great, but if not, online shopping is the way to go. lol

Thanks for coming by and commenting 🙂