09 Dec

My posts this month are going to reflect the holiday season.  Wow, we’re already into our second week of December.  Such a busy time of year.

This is a season of family, tradition and reflection.  My kids are older now, but we shared many wonderful holidays when they were small.  Not that we don’t have great times now, and make wonderful memories, but there is truly something magical about this time of year when your house is filled with children.

Something that my family has always enjoyed—all year long—is movies.   There’s nothing better than everyone being together, sharing bowls of popcorn or indulging in homemade or pizzeria pizza and watching a good flick on the screen!

This time of year is no exception.  There are so many wonderful holiday movies out there.  I remember when my husband and I were first married, before we had children, cuddling up on the couch watching It’s A Wonderful Life.  That first year, and I’m not exaggerating, that movie seemed to be on everyday, different times and channels.  It became a standing joke in our house, and even after all these years later we laugh about it.  But, I still adore that movie.  I love the part when a young Mary whispers in a young George’s ear at the soda counter that she’ll love him forever.  Knowing he is deaf in that ear and won’t be able to hear her.  There are so many parts in that movie that tug at my heart, and give so many great life lessons.

Another favorite is Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!  Actually I enjoy all of the claymation movies, but there is something about Rudolph that makes me want to help him get over his insecurities and see his true worth.  Plus he’s just so darn cute 🙂

Then who can forget Polar Express!  Made not even 10 years ago, this was destined to be a classic.  It’s another movie during the holidays that is a must see 🙂

And for the times when you just want to laugh at the absurdity of it all, there’s two movies that are perfect.  Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story!  You can’t help cringe but still love the Griswold family and Ralphie!

But I have to say my all time favorite is A CHRISTMAS CAROL!  I have at least five versions of this movie and I love them all.  From the 1930’s black and white all the way to the 3D animation featuring Jim Carey.  I haven’t seen a version of this movie I didn’t like.

Which brings me to…Drum roll please!   Today’s Friday Fun Facts question…

With all the movies available this time of year from Miracle on 34th Street, to Christmas With the Kranks to I’ll be Home for Christmas, How the Grinch stole Christmas and the hundreds of others, it can be a confusing time to pick and choose.  But everyone has a favorite.  What is the Christmas movie that you have to watch at least once every season?

Can’t wait to read your comments!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 9, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I think it’s a tie between the original How The Grinch Stole Christmas and Charlie Brown Christmas. I grew up on them and I love the message. I may be a Grinch, but I’m probably the only one who doesn’t like Rudolph. Rudolph and his friends are okay, but I never liked how he was shunned by everyone–including Santa–because of his nose until they found it useful and then they embraced him. Didn’t matter to anyone that he was the best at flying, all they cared about was his “flaw” and bullied him until he ran away.

Sorry…. I’ll get off my soap box now. 🙂 Merry Christmas!

December 9, 2011 at 10:53 pm

A Charlie Brown Christmas is great! I just bought an ornament this year that plays that theme song and I’ve played it until my kids are to the point where they roll their eyes now. LOL

As for Rudolph, I can’t help it….I’ll always love that movie. To me it just shows everyone can have faults but in the end, even after he was teased, Rudolph was big enough to accept their faults and still be giving and caring and helpful 🙂

Happy Holidays Ceri! Glad you came by!

December 9, 2011 at 11:03 pm

A-ha! You switched it around! Good deal! Never thought about it from that angle-that it was the others who had the flaws and not Rudolph. Very good!

December 10, 2011 at 1:44 am

I guess that’s the way my mind works….lol…but I can see it from both points 🙂 But I have to be optimistic for Ruddy’s sake 🙂

3. Lia Davis

December 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm

One that I watched year throughout my childhood and then my children’s was Rudolph. I don’t have an excuse to watch it now my kids are older. 🙂 I also like A Christmas Carol.

December 10, 2011 at 1:44 am

Great choices Lia…and you can watch it still. My kids are older and I love watching Rudolph…I think I always will 🙂

Thanks for coming by!

4. Pamela Mason

December 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Love so many of ,it’s impossible to choose a favorite! Must watch Christmas Carol, & my fav versin is the old black & white – spookier. Love Christmas in Connecticut for comedy & romance,love White Christmas for romance & pure atmosphere. And Wonderful Life for the excellent storytelling !

December 10, 2011 at 1:45 am

Pamela, you made some awesome picks! And I agree with you about the fact that the old black and white A Christmas Carol is spooky….I just watched that last week and loved it!

Glad you came by 🙂

5. Tereasa

December 9, 2011 at 11:54 pm

A fun question, Christine. I absolutely have to watch the classic Christmas Carol. Every Christmas Eve after the kitchen’s cleaned up from preparing the turkey, I head into the living room and put it on. By then everyone’s either in bed or hubby’s asleep on the couch. I fill stockings and wrap any last minute stuff. Although I have many favorites, that is the one holiday story I have to watch.
    Another classic favorite is Bob Hope in the Lemon Drop Kid. It’s so funny!
    Tere

December 10, 2011 at 1:46 am

I’ve never seen The Lemon Drop Kid…will have to check it out. We grew up watching tons of Bob Hope…love it!

Thanks for the recommendation 🙂

6. Jennifer Lowery~Author

December 10, 2011 at 12:18 am

Another great post, Christine! We have to watch The Santa Clause with Tim Allen. It’s just not Christmas without it. And Jingle All The Way. My son actually had the Turbo Man action figure when he was little-think we still do, lol! I love the classics-Rudolph and Frosty 🙂

December 10, 2011 at 1:49 am

My husband loves The Santa Clause and that’s on every year here too!

Glad you’re liking the posts Jennifer…it’s still fun to not only come up with the questions, but read everyone’s answers 🙂

December 10, 2011 at 2:12 am

I’m such a grinch, so Christmas movies just make me want to turn the channel. But I love 12 Men of Christmas. Hey, I am a romance writer.

December 10, 2011 at 2:42 am

LOL…love your honesty! Now I’m curious about the movie…another one I have to add to my list since I’ve never seen it 🙂

Thanks Jerri!

December 10, 2011 at 2:33 am

…hmmm…i like those old made-for-tv holiday movies – and if they involve a classic show, all the better. So every time I’m flipping and see Christmas stuff on Little House on the Prairie or The Waltons or even Three’s Company, I have to stop and watch. Yes, ‘Corn’ could be my middle name.

December 10, 2011 at 2:43 am

I love Little House…grew up on that show and the Christmas specials are good! I’m with you Kristi..didn’t even think about series television! Nice 🙂

Glad you came by!

December 10, 2011 at 3:02 am

Christmas Comes to Willow Creek. It has John Schneider and Tom Wopat from the Dukes of Hazzard and is a delightful story! Also It’s Wonderful Life. Gotta have JS.

December 10, 2011 at 3:39 am

Another movie I haven’t seen! See, I really posted this so I could get some different movies to watch…lol. Thanks Calisa 🙂

December 10, 2011 at 3:07 am

It’s hard to pick one: Among my favorites: Christmas Vacation (laugh every year like I’m seeing it for the first time); Christmas Story (ditto on the laughing); Miracle on 34th Street (just saw it last night); It’s a Wonderful Life. Lots of others I watch, too, but those would probably be the movies I wouldn’t want the Christmas season to pass without watching them.

Merry Christmas eveyone!

11. Tara MacQueen

December 10, 2011 at 3:32 am

I have to watch Christmas Carol with The Muppets. My father passed away in 2006 and this was his favourite movie. So, as a tradition after his divorce we would watch it together.

December 10, 2011 at 3:43 am

I love traditions…and that was a fun version of A Christmas Carol…love that movie. I compare it to potatoes…you can’t go wrong with that movie no matter what version you watch 🙂

December 10, 2011 at 3:36 am

I love Prancer. It makes me smile.

December 10, 2011 at 3:44 am

Oh D’Ann, that’s another good one. I haven’t seen that one in a few years…thanks for the reminder! I’ll have to dig that one out 🙂

13. tamleeTammy Lee

December 10, 2011 at 3:52 am

Very nice post! Honestly, there isn’t a christmas show I don’t like. LOL
    My favorites though would have to be “Its a Wonderful Life”, “Christmas Carol” and “Hiedi” the old version…

Tammy

December 10, 2011 at 4:26 am

More great choices…and I have to admit I don’t think I’ve ever seen Heidi…another one for me to check out!

Thanks Tammy 🙂

December 10, 2011 at 4:06 am

We have a stack of movies we bring out every year. Polar Express, Rudolph, Grinch, to name a few. They’re ALL my favorites 😉 It’s fun to snuggle with my husband and two kids, a bowl of popcorn, and my little dog and watch them over again each year. Most of the time, we’re all saying the dialogue, which makes us laugh and be goofy!

You have great posts, Christine!!

December 10, 2011 at 4:27 am

Thanks Brenda….so glad you like my posts because I love your comments! Your house sounds similar to mine…or at least how mine used to be when the kids were younger and home. Love watching movies 🙂

December 10, 2011 at 4:09 am

There are so many I love, but my favorite is A Christmas Story–I think that’s what it’s called. It’s the one when this kid wants a Red Rider gun for Christmas, but everyone says he’ll shoot his eye out.
    LOL, I still laugh hard while watching this show. The funniest part to me is when he tells Santa what he wants and Santa says: You’ll shoot your eye out.

December 10, 2011 at 4:28 am

Yep, you have the story right…it’s one of my favorites too! Poor Ralphie….that movie is so funny though…and the lamp the husband gets…hahahaha….another great scene!

Thanks for visiting Brenda 🙂

16. mirriamsmyth

December 10, 2011 at 6:20 am

I like the 1938 version of “A Christmas Carol.” So strange, but I haven’t watched any newer versions.

I’ve never seen “Miracle on 34th Street” or “It’s a Wonderful Life” but I understand their Christmas movie staples.

A more modern film I love is “Four Christmases.” To be honest though I rarely watch Christmas films during the Christmas season. I usually watch something more, um, gory (“300”, “Four Brothers”, “Night of the Living Dead”, etc.) I think it’s ’cause my hubby and The Kid are usually overdosing me on everything Christmas, lol.

(I know, I sound like such a Scrooge…)

December 10, 2011 at 7:24 am

Mirriam, I love that version of a Christmas Carol too! That one and the one with George C Scott 🙂 And when it’s not this time of year, I love gory too…lol

December 10, 2011 at 6:24 am

It’s too hard to pick just one. I love all the old shows I watched as a kid, Rudolph, Frosty, the Grinch cartoon version. For movies, I have to watch White Christmas, Christmas in Connecticut, and Love, Actually. What a fun post!

December 10, 2011 at 7:24 am

Everyone keeps mentioning Love, Actually…guess I better check that out! Thanks for dropping in Ally 🙂

• Ceri Hebert

December 10, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh, I love Love, Actually!

18. Katherine

December 10, 2011 at 10:37 am

I don’t have any children, but I have to watch these 3 Christmas cartoons every year or it just doesn’t seem like Christmas – Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and The Year Without A Santa Claus.

December 10, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I love all of those! Children or not, they’re tradition! Thanks for coming by Katherine 🙂

19. Cristen

December 10, 2011 at 11:40 am

I enjoy the Muppets’ version of A Christmas Carol, but that’s probably nostalgia for my young childhood. My favorite christmas movie is probably Die Hard.

December 10, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Hi Cristen! Die Hard is a good flick…the first one is the best one 🙂 Happy you dropped in 🙂

20. oliviaventura

December 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm

White Christmas. There’s no escaping the romance and glamor. And, even though it’s not technically a Christmas movie, my mom and I always watch While you were Sleeping. *sigh*

December 10, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Sounds like you and your mom have a tradition! I love While You Were Sleeping…very cute romance!

Thanks for commenting Olivia 🙂

21. Vonnie Davis

December 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hi Hon…You won a copy of STORM’S INTERLUDE for leaving a comment on my visit blog at Sarah Grimm’s. Drop me an email at vonnie(dot)davis@ymail(dot)com so we can make arrangements.