17 Dec

My posts this month are going to reflect the holiday season.  We’re now into our 3rd week of December.  I can’t believe how time flies!

This week my sister, nephew and favorite daughter (good thing I have only one…lol) came out to decorate Christmas cookies.  It was a lot of fun!  When the kids were small, I’d bake tons of them for us to decorate and they’d all do a few here and there and then it was me….alone…with at least 40 cookies to frost and make beautiful.  I have to admit that it was a lot nicer having help.  As for my sons, they weren’t interested in playing along.  What you going to do?  Can’t force them, but maybe next year…right? 🙂

Anyway, while we were decorating and laughing and talking, my husband put on some Christmas music.  There is nothing like listening to Christmas music.  It puts me in that certain place or mindset I guess, one I can’t really explain 🙂  I find it so mellow, relaxing and peaceful.  Makes me think of events from my childhood, past times with family and friends…I run the whole gamut of emotions depending on the song playing.

Now I admit there are times throughout the year that I will even crave a good Christmas song.  I’ve been known to ‘sneak’ in some Christmas music in the middle of July, in my car, with the windows rolled up tight while I drive into work.  Shhh…I know the secret is safe with you.   🙂 Sometimes I just need that mood…the mood Christmas music puts me in that I really can’t totally describe.

There’s such a wide variety of songs…White Christmas by Bing Crosby (love it)…I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus(this always make me sing along)…Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (I can still remember the first time I heard this…lol)…Here Comes Santa Claus (the holidays aren’t complete without listening to this one a few times).  Then of course other favorites like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Jingle Bells, Feliz Navidad, Little St. Nick….oh the list can go on and on forever with all the great Christmas music out there.

But I think we all have a favorite.  One that we’ll stop short to listen to every word, jump up to dance with the beat, sing along, or one that comforts us, gives us that soothing feeling that overtakes you and causes a smile to appear, or even hush those around you so you can hear every note.  For me that song is Silent Night.  I don’t know what it is about that song, but it really affects me!

Which brings me to…Drum roll please!   Today’s Friday Fun Facts question…

What is a Christmas song that really touches you deep inside…makes you happy?  Melancholy?  Reflective?  Soothes your ruffled feathers after a long day out fighting the crowds in the mall?  LOL..I think we all have at least one…what’s yours?

Can’t wait to read your comments!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Jennifer Lowery~Author

December 17, 2011 at 12:20 am

Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives and Mennheim Steamroller! Oh, and I can’t forget the chipmunks Christmas, lol. Fun post, Christine! Thanks for doing this every week 🙂

December 17, 2011 at 12:48 am

I’m glad you are having fun with it Jennifer…I love reading everyone’s comments 🙂

Love Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives….great choice 🙂

2. CRWarner

December 17, 2011 at 12:27 am

I’m not a huge fan of Christmas music…but I really like the darker stuff….carol of the bells for example. And transiberian orchestras take on that piece and pachebels cannon are great. But my favorite would have to be a tie between Leroy Anderson’s version of sleigh ride or the peanuts Linus and Lucy.

December 17, 2011 at 12:49 am

Linus and Lucy is fun! And Transiberian Orchestra is amazing…anything they do is awe-inspiring 🙂

You Rock Cass 🙂

3. Nancy LaPonzina

December 17, 2011 at 12:47 am

“What Child Is This” (or Greensleeves) sets the Christmas tone for me … but so many like those already mentioned are favorites too. I can remember when “Little Drummer Boy” debuted (yes, 1970ish!) and I sang “… a child, a child …” and my husband joined in, “wait until next year …” so cute.

December 17, 2011 at 12:50 am

Nancy, you chose some good ones too! Little Drummer Boy is one of my husband’s favs.

Thanks for commenting 🙂

December 17, 2011 at 1:32 am

One year, many years ago, my family had stopped, as usual, at my aunt’s house for a Christmas visit. We then were moving on to where we would make our final stop–at my grandma’s. There were nine of us. We all had our coats on and just as we headed to the door, someone, don’t remember who, broke out into “Oh Holy Night.” We stood at the door, with our coats and hats on and sang our heart out. That memory makes Oh Holy Night my favorite Christmas Carol.

December 17, 2011 at 1:44 am

Love that story Callie! A great memory…thanks for sharing 🙂

5. Christina

December 17, 2011 at 1:58 am

“Oh, Holy Night” and “Silent Night” are by far my favorites. But there are so many good ones.

Now, I won’t say I actually play Chritmas music during any other time of the year, but I have been known to burst into a Christmas song in the middle of July.

December 17, 2011 at 2:01 am

hehehe….I’ve done that too…even without playing it in the car. Something about Christmas music….LOVE IT!

Glad you dropped in Christina 🙂

December 17, 2011 at 2:41 am

Grinch here again. Sorry. I have to say N’Sync’s Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. Hey, you asked. I listened to this song so much my kids hid my CD.

December 17, 2011 at 3:24 am

LOL….Hey Grinch, glad you dropped by 🙂 Too funny about your kids hiding the CD 🙂

7. Sharon

December 17, 2011 at 2:57 am

Keep in mind that I work in retail and have to listen to Christmas music EVERY DAY from November 1 on. I don’t have Christmas music in my house or in my car. That said, I do have two favorites. The first is the Russian Dance from the Nutcracker and the second isn’t a traditional one but beautiful all the same: Matchbox 20’s a New York Christmas.

December 17, 2011 at 3:25 am

Great choices…I love that you aren’t in the norm and have picks you don’t hear often! Nicely done 🙂

December 17, 2011 at 3:04 am

As a country music fan, and a HUGE Alabama fan- I love their Thistle Hair the Christmas Bear. But they have another I like as much. It’s about coming home for Christmas, Christmas in Dixie. Poignant.

December 17, 2011 at 3:26 am

I’ll have to check those out Calisa…I’m not familiar with either one 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

9. Cristen

December 17, 2011 at 3:13 am

Michael Bublé’s version of “All I Want for Christmas is You” is nice. Also– it’s not for everyone– but KT Tunstall covered “2000 Miles” on her holiday collection; I think it’s very pretty and Christmasy-feeling. I also really enjoy “Baby, it’s Cold Outside” with Darren Criss and Chris Colfer. ( I can’t help it, they’re targeting my demographic; hard)

December 17, 2011 at 3:27 am

LOL….love your last sentence…thanks for the laugh. I Like “Baby, it’s Cold Outside” too….the other one’s I’m not familiar with, but will have to check them out too. Love Christmas songs 🙂

December 17, 2011 at 4:23 am

A favorite Christmas CD was sent to me by one of my crit partners, Martha Ramirez. “Christmas With The Rat Pack”. There’s so many great Christmas songs, but the one that tugs at my heart is Oh Holy Night. My son has been brushing up on his piano with Christmas songs too. So anything he plays is what sticks in my head.

How’d those cookies turn out? May I have one?

December 17, 2011 at 6:20 am

I think that sounds like a great CD…the original Rat Pack I’m assuming. And you’re right, when you have a piano player in the house, whatever they are playing or practicing is the song of the moment!

As for the cookies…I hate to admit this, but they are all gone. We divided them 3 ways and for some reason I don’t think I got the same amount as everyone else…hmmmm…*wink*

December 17, 2011 at 4:40 am

I’m the same as you–my fav Christmas song is Silent Night. I still get chills when I hear it or sing it.
    And another favorite of mine is Oh Holy Night. I love singing that song–when I’m alone.
    I love CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

December 17, 2011 at 6:21 am

Chills…there is one word to describe what I go through when I listen to Silent Night!

I love Christmas too…it’s a wonderful time of year (hey, is that a song)lol

12. mirriamsmyth

December 17, 2011 at 4:55 am

Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s “Carol of the Bells” is my ultimate favorite. Second would be Josh Groban’s “The Prayer”, and third is Charlotte Church’s “Dream a Dream.” Can’t explain the last two, lol, but I love them around this time of year.

December 17, 2011 at 6:22 am

Tran-Siberian Orchestra is amazing! My daughter has seen them in concert a few times and I’d love to one day. The power of their music on a cd is incredible, can’t imagine how it’d be in person!

Glad you came by Mirriam 🙂

13. Martha Ramirez

December 17, 2011 at 6:15 am

How fun! Ahh love Christmas music. So much great music. And aw, so glad to hear you liked the cd, Sheri! That is one of my faves too. I have to agree Oh Holy Night is a touchy song. My mom always loved Drummer Boy so that one always bring back memories.

As far as faster songs ever since high school The Mariah Carey song All I Want For Christmas is one of my faves and so is Baby, It’s Cold Outside by Dean Martin.

🙂 Merry Christmas!

December 17, 2011 at 6:24 am

Hi Mart….The Mariah Carey song you mentioned is a good one! Now I’m going to have to look for that cd you sent Sheri….sounds like a good one 🙂

Glad you came by 🙂

14. Tereasa

December 17, 2011 at 7:43 am

Hi Christine,
    My favorite one is not really a christmas song, but puts the meaning of Christmas so clear in my heart that it feels like a holiday song. It’s by Skip Ewing called ‘the gospel according to Luke.’ You can listen to it here, and I know you’ll feel the same way I do.

Some great songs listed and such a fun post!

All the best,
    Tere

15. Katherine

December 17, 2011 at 8:09 am

I love Holly Jolly Christmas, All I want for Christmas is You, the Chipmonk Christmas song (not sure what the title is or if that’s the title), I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas, Rocking Around the Christmas Tree, and I’ll Be Home for Christmas. On the religious side, I love Oh Holy Night especially when it’s sung by Sandi Patty.

December 17, 2011 at 9:33 am

You picked some good ones Katherine! I love Holly Jolly Christmas too….have to admit that I’ve never heard of I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas….another one I’ll have to check out 🙂 lol

• Katherine

December 17, 2011 at 10:28 am

It’s sung by Gayla Peevey. It’s cute. I like it mainly because it reminds me of my sister – when she was a little girl she wanted an elephant for christmas.

• bakinstuff

December 17, 2011 at 12:38 pm

LOVE that one Katherine ❤

16. Wizardwayne

December 17, 2011 at 8:29 am

Mine would probably be “What Child IS This?” Actually it’s not that song but the old English ballad “Greensleeves”. The tune of this was used for “What Child IS This?” and just love that simple tune.

December 17, 2011 at 9:34 am

That is a beautiful one Wayne! Glad you dropped in! Thanks 🙂

17. bakinstuff

December 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

Have to say, Bon Jovi’s version of Please Come Home for Christmas…always makes me cry. But I love it ❤

December 17, 2011 at 9:34 am

I know that feeling of getting emotional over a a song…or a movie 🙂 Glad you dropped in 🙂

December 17, 2011 at 10:18 am

Any of the music from the Nutcracker, and my more recent favorite is Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas is You. There are so many great Christmas songs it’s hard to choose!

December 17, 2011 at 11:02 am

That’s the truth Ally….Christmas songs and movies…there are some amazing ones. Thanks for coming by 🙂

19. ChristineWarner

December 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

Katherine, thanks for the singers name. I’m going to check it out. Too cute about your sister wanting an elephant. Most kids want a pony…lol Too funny 🙂

December 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

What child is this my Johnny Mathis!
    Really, any Christmas song of his hits my heart!!
    Great Blog, glad you had fun baking!

December 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for coming by Denice. Baking was fun…but I’m still full…lol

21. bakinstuff

December 17, 2011 at 12:37 pm

The Hippo song is famous around here too…LOL our oldest dog Dallas (a saint bernard) gets extremely jolly when he hears anyone sing it. Yes, he knows what Christmas means….he has been checking for presents and staring at the countdown calendar. No joke.

December 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Too cute! Saint Bernards are smart dogs 🙂

December 18, 2011 at 12:46 am

Wow, how can I choose just one? Growing up I loved We Three Kings, Go Tell It On The Mountain and The Wasail Song. When I got to college I heard the song Gabriel’s Message. I guess I go for the more traditional, religious music. Though I must admit I do love Do They Know It’s Christmas by Band Aid.

December 18, 2011 at 6:19 am

You picked some great songs Ceri! I agree, it’s hard to really only choose one…once I think I have it narrowed down, someone mentions another one that I love too 🙂

23. Cait O'Sullivan

December 18, 2011 at 1:34 am

Aw I love Silent Night too, it has to be my favourite in recent years. But hot on the heels is ‘oh holy night’, esp sung by part harmony male tenors. When the choir comes in to ‘fall on your knees’ I practically, well, fall on my knees lol.

December 18, 2011 at 6:20 am

I agree with you…O Holy Night and Silent Night are neck in neck. 🙂

24. Lynne Marshall

December 18, 2011 at 4:13 am

Sorry I’m late here, Christine! I love Christmas music too! I have a few odd Christmas cds that i only play when no one else is around – for instance my Chieftan’s Christmas CD. I love Irish music, but my Irish genes didn’t make it to either of my kids, and my husband isn’t crazy about those Chieftans the way I am.

My favorite “pop” Christmas song is I’ll Be Home for Christmas. That’s what it is all about in my book – family coming together to celebrate that little child in the manger.

I also adore Carol of the Bells. I love how it starts out simple and builds to the magnificent ending.

Can you tell I am totally in to Christmas music? LOL.

See you on Tuesday Calisa!

December 18, 2011 at 6:21 am

Exactly right Lynne…Christmas is all about family coming together…and some background music cinches the deal…lol.

Thanks for coming by Lynne 🙂

25. Julee J. Adams

December 18, 2011 at 8:10 am

I remember singing tons of Christmas carols growing up, when we could still have Christmas programs. I also belonged to several groups where we would go to nursing homes for programs–the most memorable was Foreign Language Club where we sang songs in Latin, French, Spanish and German.

My favorite is still “Better Days,” by the Goo Goo Dolls, though most don’t remember it is a carol. It makes up for the ten years in a retail mall listening to canned music on a continuous loop. One year, they included a country version of “Silver Bells” that absolutely ruined the song for me. I swore if they played it one more time I’d bring in a bb gun and shoot out the $#@% speaker. It took almost two years after leaving that job for me to really enjoy Christmas again.

Though the “South Park” “Mr. Hanky’s Christmas Album” makes me laugh every time I hear it….Everyone have a super time this holiday season!

26. myrahmcilvain

December 18, 2011 at 11:59 am

I’ve been trying to think of a single favorite Christmas song. I love them all and I, too, have Christmas singing spells in summer and all through the year. I hate it when someone hears me singing and tells me it’s the wrong time of year. I think my new response will be “why is it the wrong time of year to feel good?” Because those songs just feel good all over.

December 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Sounds like a perfect reply to me! You should never feel wrong for feeling happy and singing! Go for it Myra 🙂 I’ll join you…lol

December 19, 2011 at 4:34 am

Sorry for being so late! Retail in the holidays–bleh! I love the Little Drummer Boy more than any other song…I always tear up when I hear it. I don’t know why, but I do!

Merry Christmas!

December 19, 2011 at 9:14 am

I tear up over Silent Night….so I know what you’re saying D’Ann. Thanks for dropping by 🙂