24 Dec

I can’t believe that we’re hours away from Christmas!  I hope everyone is finished with their shopping!  That they have gifts wrapped, food stocked in the fridge and travel arrangements made.  It’s amazing on how quickly this month raced by!

I know that the reason for the season isn’t presents, but it is a fun part of it and that’s what I wanted to focus on today.

This past Tuesday I finished up my shopping.  I actually thought I was about done before I left the house, but of course once I hit the stores, I realized I had quite a few things left on my list.

One of the last people I needed to buy for was my husband.  We agreed this year not to go crazy on gifts for each other.  We had in the past, but we’ve decided that since we take a fun road trip each summer, and basically buy what we need as we go, that we didn’t really have something we ‘wanted’or ‘needed’.  But still, it was hard to come up with something, even if inexpensive.

Trying to find something fun for him got me to thinking about season’s past and some of the things we’d bought for each other.  Choices made….some good, some not so good.  🙂  Of course there were those lean years in the beginning when we just didn’t have much money to spend on each other, but we always managed to have a good time.

In the beginning it seemed that the gifts were centered around household items.  I remember getting a new vacuum, set of pots and pans, a recliner, and I remember buying him this super cool toaster (which we still have and joke about), a tool set, a dvd player.

As the years progressed gifts became more personalized I guess…not centered around what we needed for the house, but what we secretly wanted all year but never splurged on…more for fun.  One year we’d talked about how fun it would be to have $1000 to just blow on whatever we wanted.  So somehow he managed to save $1000 and he gave it to me for Christmas so that I could go on a shopping spree.  He pinned a condition on it too…I had to buy for me…not the house, the kids or him. I have to tell you, having that amount of cash in your hand, that you know you can just blow, is more difficult than you think.  Especially after years of watching your finances closely.  I’m a frugal shopper and it was hard to just shop frivolously…but I did manage once I made that first purchase. 🙂

I have to admit I’m a lucky girl.  My hubs has made some great choices year after year…a mother’s ring, an hour with a masseuse, the shopping spree, a weekend trip away….and that’s just a few. But he’s also made some choices that weren’t actually to my taste, but funny none the less.  I remember one year this diamond necklace was advertised all over the television.  It seemed every store carried a version and it was on every other commercial…to the point it became annoying.  He and I were watching TV and it came on yet again, for the millionth time (and it was a design I didn’t like).  As the ad played I turned to him and said how I didn’t like that necklace and thought it was ugly and was sick of the commercials.  LOL…I remember his face going blank and he just said, “Well, I guess I’ll take back that gift I bought you.”  I felt like crap.  I didn’t realize he’d purchased that same necklace.  Afterward he told me he’d never buy me jewelry again unless I was with him to pick it out.  And he’s stuck to that promise.  LOL….at least we can laugh about it now.

Now I mentioned gifts between my husband and me, and didn’t even get into the kids.  I can tell you I know I’ve made mistakes there and missed the target.  🙂  I’ll never forget when my youngest son was maybe four or five and apparently he didn’t like one thing he received.  After he unwrapped his last gift, he told us it was his worst Christmas ever.  LOL…funny now, but it broke my heart then.  I know we should’ve been focused on the meaning of Christmas, but I also know he was just a kid, and watching his brother and sister all happy and excited over what they’d received, and not having the same elation…it was rough.

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please….

Tell me a gift that you’ve given or received that was all wrong!  Something that you should’ve never purchased or made and given…or one that you received that should’ve stayed in the store.

Looking forward to reading your answers!

And here’s to everyone having a Healthy and Happy Holiday!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Cara Bristol

December 24, 2011 at 2:06 am

Many years ago, we were at a trade show and they had an art mat cutting kit (fairly expensive). My husband seemed to really like it, said it would be nice to have, and he had a lot of unframed art that he had bought. So…I bought it for him for xmas. From the shape of the box, he assumed it was a shotgun. He was SO disappointed.

December 24, 2011 at 6:34 am

Oh man, I can almost feel the disappointment….have so been in that spot. It’s hard picking just the right thing, especially for another adult!

Thanks for sharing Cara 🙂

December 24, 2011 at 2:11 am

Years ago, when I was still a size six, hubby bought me a sweater for Christmas. It said “one size fits all.” A misnomer in itself. However, he bought it at Lane Bryant. Need I say more?

December 24, 2011 at 6:35 am

LOL….great story! I remember once my hubby bought me a pink shirt with cows on it…no clue why….but I was less than thrilled. I think it was a birthday gift or something and needless to say, I wore it when I painted. hahahahaha

December 24, 2011 at 2:40 am

My hubby has a knack for this. One year he bought me this adorable puppy and kitten in a basket stuffed toy…. I kept waiting for the real gift. It took me a week to realize– that was it! My daughters told him he was ‘stupid’ for thinking that would please me. Oh, I kept it for years, but he hasn’t done that again. Yes, he bought me a stuffed wolf once, but it wore a very nice pair of birthstone earrings and matching necklace!

And there was the year more recently he bought me a blouse a rock star would be proud to own (I am not a rock star!)– then he became offended when I exchanged it for something I’d wear. He doesn’t buy clothes anymore. lol

Me? I just forget his birthday. That was a bad memory. lol

December 24, 2011 at 6:36 am

LOL…thanks for the laugh Calisa! Isn’t it funny how we can pick things out sometimes thinking they are awesome….until the other person opens it and you realize what a dolt you are? At least it makes for some funny memories!

December 24, 2011 at 3:13 am

I like small, delicate jewelry. A few years ago, I asked my husband for a chain that I could put several pendants on. He got me a chain big enough to do LL Cool Jay justice. I hate it. He got so offended he swore to never buy me jewelry again. Usually he has really good taste.

December 24, 2011 at 6:37 am

HAHAHAHA…I am picturing you wearing a HUGE chain….too funny!

I guess my husband had it right when he said he’d never buy me jewelry unless I picked it out. Should be a rule all men live by.

Glad you stopped in D’Ann 🙂

December 24, 2011 at 3:14 am

My husband and parents are really good at picking things out for me, but then again, I’m extremely easy to shop for. I’m not one for jewelry, so I warned my husband of that when we were dating.
    I can’t remember a gift I received that I hated–not saying there were some I wasn’t thrilled about though. So, I’m going to list one of my fav gifts my husband purchased for me: an old wooden wagon wheel. I even mention that wagon wheel in my novel, Love’s Prophecy.
    I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, New Year.

December 24, 2011 at 6:39 am

Love your story! Your hubby doesn’t realize how lucky he is that you’re easy to buy for. I always thought I was too….but I’m thinking sometimes my hubby doesn’t always hear everything coming out of my mouth (no surprise there…lol)

Glad you came by Brenda and Merry Christmas to your and yours as well 🙂 So glad that I can count you as one of my friends!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

6. Mirriam Smyth

December 24, 2011 at 3:48 am

I remember one year my Gramma (love her to pieces) bought me a cashmere sweater that was gorgeous. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize what the material was until AFTER I put it on. I’m so allergic to cashmere (and wool) that I broke out into a fever, my face got red, and my hands and lips were so bloated I ended up at the hospital Christmas Day night to get treated for it.

It was definitely a memorable Christmas, and while Gramma apologized (she’d forgotten I was allergic), I felt horrible that I had to return a gift she’d spent time and money on.

…She’s bought me dish towels and bath towels ever since, lol.

Merry Christmas, Christine!

December 24, 2011 at 6:41 am

Oh no Mirriam…how horrible to spend your holiday in the ER….but glad it didn’t turn into something more serious!

Too cute that she keeps it simple now with dish towels and bath towels…though I’d have to say I’d love that gift just as much. I have a slight addiction to bath towels 🙂

Merry Christmas 🙂

7. bakinstuff

December 24, 2011 at 3:56 am

Omgosh–one year I received a shower curtain. Yep–and did I need one? nope. I am still confused by it…10 yrs later.

Merry Christmas everyone ❤

xoxo
    stacey jo

December 24, 2011 at 6:42 am

LOL…now that’s an interesting gift! I’d for sure want to know why they picked that out for you….

Glad you came by Stacey Jo 🙂

Happy Holidays!

December 24, 2011 at 4:52 am

I’ve always loved a guy in a leather coat, so one year I was determined to get my husband a leather coat. After he went to bed Christmas eve I snuck downstairs and hung it on the door frame right by the Christmas tree. The next morning he came downstairs and said, “Who got a COAT for Christmas?” He spit the word “coat” out like it tasted bad. My heart dropped a little. But then when he realized he got a lot of other gifts beside the coat he was happy. And you know what? He’s learned to love that coat and still wears it years later.

December 24, 2011 at 6:44 am

ooohhh…that sent chills down my spine Sharon….all I could think of was my necklace story! LOL

Glad he loves his coat….I like a man in a leather coat too….

Merry Christmas 🙂

9. Tabitha

December 24, 2011 at 5:17 am

I have to say I’ve never really gotten a gift I hated. Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. LOL! But we ordered my step son a really cool trainer butterfly knife. Just a couple of days ago he told me he hated that particular one. Oh well what can you do?

December 24, 2011 at 6:45 am

Great attitude Tabitha…what can you do? That’s the way I felt when my son was small and told me it was his worst Christmas ever. I still can’t keep a straight face on that one. It broke my heart then, but it’s funny now!

Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays!

December 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm

The first Christmas after I was married, my parents gave us the worst present. They gave my husband a white English driver’s cap, and me some knick-knack Japanese stone characters. What made it horrid is my husband is a Stetson wearing cowboy and I had given the figurines to my mother for her last birthday! She regifted them back to me!! I was proud of my husband though. He stuck that dorky hat on his head and wore it the whole time we were at my parent’s house.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful, blessed Christmas and joyus new year!

December 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm

LOL…whenever I think of regfiting I think of that fun Seinfeld episode! You’re lucky to have a hubby like that….love your story 🙂

Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year Sheri!!!

December 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Every year my mother-in-law asks for either a bathrobe or slippers. We used to buy whichever she asked for, until one day my daughter led me into her bedroom to show me some shoes she liked (she was about six at the time), and I discovered about ten bathrobes with the tags still on them and twice as many unused slippers. Now we make her photo albums and have the kids make things for her.

December 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

The homemade gifts are wonderful and definitely a great creative outlet for your kids…and I bet she treasures them 🙂

12. Joanna Aislinn

December 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Christine! This is a fun post 🙂

Two incidents stand out in my mind:
    First: A close cousin brought her boyfriend to our family celebration. We all gave him cookies as gifts. He, however, had gone all out to impress with gifts b/c he had every intention of marrying my cousin (which he did, on 04/04/04).

Two: Hubby and I were having a ‘commitment year’ of marriage (you know, hanging tough thru major challenges). That year a big box had my name on it; he kept promising how warm I’d feel b/c of that gift. Yep. I still don’t particularly care for that space heater.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

December 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

LOL…those are great stories Joanna….love the boyfriend one and I can so picture it in my head 🙂

As for the space heater…all I can say is sometimes I just don’t get men….lol…

Merry Christmas to you and yours Joanna 🙂

13. Julee J. Adams

December 25, 2011 at 9:03 am

Love the stories!
    DH was teasing me about my horrid fear of spiders and I knew he wasn’t fond of snakes, so I teased him back about how cool snakes were. You guessed it–I unwrapped an $85 guide book on snakes that year and was NOT pleased.

He’s asked for a list every year since. I usually can give him a general direction (a tanzanite ring that is not a cluster ring, diamond hoop earrings, peridot earrings, etc.) and he does wonderfully. Five years ago, he gave me my first laptop as a commitment to his belief in my writing. He replaced it this year and I’m very grateful. Oh and our second Christmas married, he wrapped a kitty litter box and we picked out the Incredible Lucy Cat. So, he’s more than made up for it.

Merry Christmas to all–by the way, when I was six, I discovered Santa was my much older brother when he put me on his lap, so I’m scarred for life.

December 25, 2011 at 9:24 am

LOL…thanks for coming by Julee…loved your stories and glad your husband has improved his gift giving skills over time!