Welcome Guest Blogger Jolyn Palliata

28 Dec

Did you ever get a song stuck in your head? Or part of one? How did you get it out? Did you avoid the song at all costs in the blind hope it would stop hammering you into submission? Or did you listen to the song over, and over, and over, until you were so obsessed that all you could think about was that delicious, devilish little laugh….er, what was I saying? (Right. Song stuck in my head. Ahh…I mean, your head.) Now, I know this has happened to every person reading this post, so I’m hoping you’ll relate to my little story here.

Let me give you some background. In October, I released Connected (Twists of Fate #1), and here’s a brief description of the story: A rock group’s rhythm guitarist, Rhys Alexander, dies and finds himself bound inside the body of a woman he’s never met. Can she help him move on to the other side, or will he end up finding the love of his life…after his has already ended?

For a time, I had this for free on Wattpad (where I posted as I wrote it). And several readers asked me how in the world I came up with the concept. The short answer was ‘By taking the longest route possible.’ The more involved answer is this…

It all started with a song—Imagine that, huh?—which began with a synthesized-sounding guitar and a sinful, maniacal laugh that made my gut quiver. (Yes, I do realize this may be an issue I need to fully address later.) It was Disturbed’s “Inside The Fire”. Add a little Framing Hanley (with that oh-so-sexy voice), and Tavion, lead singer of the band Persevere, was born. And what kind of woman would knock a strapping rock star to his knees? Why, a best-selling author, of course.

So here I had two people who worked in the entertainment industry, but were worlds apart. What could possibly bring them together? The answer seemed so simple, really: Fate. Then my next thought was “What if Fate was a living, sometimes-breathing, entity? What an interesting point-of-view that would be!” And it spiraled from there. I dug deep into the protag, Devan (the name of the girl in Disturbed’s song), and put pieces of me and my personality into the mix. Naturally, then I had to mock myself and my works along the way. (i.e., Suddenly Impending Reprisals became Devan’s masterpiece, and guess what…it made it all the way to the NYT Bestsellers list! Way to go, Devan!!)

Now, the question was ‘What inspired me to write Connected’, and so far, I’m telling you how I started writing Twisted (Book 2). Yeah, well, I’m getting there. (Remember how I said it was the longest route possible?)

So there I was, writing Twisted and having a hell of a time. And then the unthinkable happened (insert suspenseful music here)…I got writer’s block. I’m talking a stint of writer’s block that could only have originated from the deepest, most vile and sulfuric, bowels of Hell. And, man, was it stubborn! Over a year went by before I picked it up again, and even then it wasn’t because I came up with a grand master plan, or that my head was swimming with ideas. No. It was simply because I missed my characters. So I started to reread/revise/edit the 30K words I had written, hoping it would shake something loose. Enter: two new inspirations.

The first was the Demonica series by Larissa Ione. In the series, paired up mates can sense each other’s emotions and I got to wondering “What would that be like?”

The next piece of inspiration came from Avenged Sevenfold (A7X). I was studying up on rock bands for Twisted (and can A7X ever ROCK!!), and checking out the band members (*drool*) and it inspired a new character—Rhys.

From Ione and A7X blossomed Connected (finally!) where Rhys’ spirit was stuck inside Addison (my protag), and they could sense each other’s emotions.

But I had one problem. I absolutely REFUSED to walk away from Twisted again. Soooo…how could I use this? Well, first of all, Rhys couldn’t be a lead singer since that’s what Tavion is. And secondly, I wanted this to be a fast-hitting novella used to compliment Twisted’s story. What I needed was a supporting member of the band… Hello, Rhys, my luscious rhythm guitarist!

But then I had another problem. (Because I needed more, right?) I couldn’t picture Rhys in Tavion’s band, Persevere, which is a more mature, established group. No, he belonged with some just-making-it-big band that wasn’t afraid to play with the formula, to take chances, and was just enjoying the ride and what life had to offer. He belonged with the guys of Black Codex.

Then problem #3: How did Black Codex and Persevere tie in to each other? I mean, if Connected leads into Twisted, they have to know each other somehow, right? Well, as luck would have it, they’re all friends. (Who knew?!) Eh, okay, so actually two members from Black Codex are brothers and they grew up with a guy from Persevere, so, by association, they became friends. (It’s all in the details, right?) 😉

All right. Now what? I didn’t want to introduce Fate (my sassy, capricious entity) in Connected even though he’s definitely hard at work behind the scenes. It would’ve been too distracting from the plot, and I had plenty to maneuver already! (Hello…dead rock star stuck in some chicks head!!) So what I did was plot Connected so it all occurs during the same timeframe as the first half of Twisted. Perfect! Then when people read Twisted, they’ll get all the behind-the-scenes-extras that were going on in Connected that either 1) I didn’t have time for, or 2) I couldn’t smoothly transition in.

At the end of my long-ass journey, not only did I have Connected, but I shook myself loose on Twisted…aaand came up with storylines for the other eight band members. (I’ll spare you the details on those. LOL) Thusly, the Twists of Fate series was born.

So, let me ask you again: Did you ever get a song stuck in your head…?

For more information on the Twists of Fate series: http://jolynpalliata.wordpress.com/romance/twists-of-fate-series/

Twists of Fate series Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Twists-of-Fate-Series/190217514383637

To purchase Connected (Twists of Fate #1): http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&ie=UTF8&field-author=Jolyn%20Palliata

Posted by on December 28, 2011 in Day to Day Life

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

26 responses to “Welcome Guest Blogger Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 5:40 am

Sounds like a great story. Good luck with it.

2. Darlene Steelman

December 28, 2011 at 5:42 am

That’s pretty freaking cool. I always get songs stuck in my head.. I wonder if someone is trying to tell me something?

Great post.

• Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 6:26 am

Could be your muse trying to communicate. 😉 I say “Use it!”.

December 28, 2011 at 5:42 am

Holy smokes…not only are the stories fantastic, but so are your covers!! WOW! Okay, I gotta ask (as I see you’re in print too). Jolyn, did you traditional or self pub? Thank you for sharing the working ribbons of your mind. Interesting to see how one thing leads to another. Just awesome! These look like good reads.

• Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 6:29 am

Hi Sheri! Thanks for the wonderful compliments. 🙂 To answer your question, I Indie published. (Which is just a fancy way of saying self-published. LOL) One by one, I’m getting by backlist novels edited and published. And let me say…it’s been a ride!!

4. childofyden

December 28, 2011 at 6:01 am

The creative urge takes us to some strange places, and sometimes we return the favor. I’m glad you’re in the groove, Jolyn!

• Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 6:29 am

Thank you! I appreciate you stopping by. 🙂

December 28, 2011 at 6:10 am

Getting songs stuck in your head sucks! lol But your series sounds intriguing!

• Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 6:30 am

Thanks, Calisa! And I agree…getting a song stuck in your head can be the most annoying thing in the world. But in this case, I’ll take it!

6. Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 6:33 am

Thanks for having me, Christine! I’ll be popping in and out all day to chat with visitors. Just so you know…your falling snow freaked me out! LOL I looked away for just a minute and my screen had floaters! But very pretty. Nice effect! (I got a good laugh at myself from it.) 😉

December 28, 2011 at 6:56 am

LOL…too funny about the snow! I love it on my page, but not on my driveway 🙂

So glad to have you visiting Jolyn..great to get to know you and your books!

• Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 8:46 am

Thank you! (And I hear you about the driveway… *hands husband shovel*) 😉

7. Nancy

December 28, 2011 at 8:38 am

Jolyn, thanks for sharing your process on your story! I think we all like to know how each of us gets to our stories and finally “births” them out into the universe!
    Nancy

• Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 8:44 am

You’re welcome, Nancy! And I’m on the same page as you are – I love hearing how people came up with their ideas. With the few I’ve heard, inspriation can come from the strangest of places. LOL
      Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

December 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Well said Nancy…it’s always great to get another perspective from a fellow author!

December 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Holy……freaking……cadoodle! Your book sounds AMAZING–as does your mind!!! LOL, I love it.

Yep, I’ve had plenty of songs stuck in my head, playing around and around, etc, etc.

• Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I love your reaction to the post! LOL And thank you for the compliments! This series, by far, is the most fun I’ve had with writing yet. *fingers crossed* it continues. 🙂 Thanks for dropping by!!

December 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Brenda, you ROCK! Glad you came by 🙂

9. Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm

There’s that snow again. 😉 *snicker*

December 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm

You hand a shovel to your hubs and I’ll do the same to mine while you and I can stay indoors with a warm drink and watch….lol

• Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Deal! Don’t forget the pointing and mocking. We’ll have to do some of that too! 😀

10. ChristineWarner

December 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm

LOL…love it, Jolyn! Now this is going to be fun 🙂

• Jolyn Palliata

December 28, 2011 at 11:21 pm

You and me, Christine…we’re going to get along just fine. 😉 LOL

11. Autumn @The Autumn Review

March 13, 2012 at 8:35 am

That’s awesome! I can’t wait to read it!