29 Dec

Welcome back for another week of What to Read Wednesday!

Today we are lucky to have Lynne Marshall visiting!  So, everyone get comfortable, we’re not only meeting a talented author, but we’re lucky enough to hear first hand about her books published with both Harlequin and The Wild Rose Press 🙂

I’m excited to have you here Lynne 🙂

Thank you for inviting me, Christine!  I’m thrilled to be here.

I’d like to ask you a few questions so we can learn more about you before we talk about your books.  🙂

Sounds like a plan.

Can you tell today’s readers a bit about yourself?

I’d love to.  Well, I’ve been writing for twelve years and have been published the last five.  I was an RN for twenty-six years, I live in Southern California with my husband of 30 years, and I have two adult children (one of each gender) of which I am very proud.  After writing five single title manuscripts, I wrote my first category length book.  It didn’t sell, but the second one did and I now write for Harlequin Special Edition, Mills & Boon Medical Romance, and The Wild Rose Press.  After a long career in nursing, I’m ecstatic to be a working author in my second career.

You’re a busy lady!  Since we are in the last few days of 2011, have you thought about any goals you’d like to achieve in 2012 either personally or professionally?

My goal is to write 2-3 category length books next year, and to possibly dip my toes in the indie/self-pub waters with a book that is already written.

Love those goals.  Very exciting  🙂  Do you prefer salty or sweet?

Sweet first, but with a salty chaser.

A good book or a good movie?  Why?

A good movie is easier on the time budget, and these days, I hardly have time to write, yet alone read.  I have so many wonderful books loaded up in my Kindle as well as a stack of print books at home waiting for me to devour.  I wish I had a better handle on time management, AND I wish I were a faster reader. :/  Therefore – these days I go looking for good movies.

I’m in the same predicament…there are so many good books out there.  Even though your time is limited, if you could read more, tell us your favorite type of book to read and why?

Though my first choice is contemporary stories (all genres) because they keep me current and I relate best to them, I also enjoy historicals and time travels.

What genres do you write in?

I write contemporary and medical romance, and my longer single title books have hints of women’s fiction in them along with the romance.

Is there something you do as a ritual when writing?  For instance do you need to wear a pair of lucky socks, listen to a certain song or type of music, write only in the mornings?

You nailed it.  I write in the mornings, and save editing for night.  For some reason I can slip into the zone faster and easier early in the morning, probably because I used to get up two hours early to write before I went to work as a nurse.

I’m a morning girl myself, so I can relate 🙂  Let’s play Tantalizing Ten…Tell us One For the Road in 10 sentences! 🙂

It just so happens that the book blurb is under ten sentences.  Here goes:

D’Anne Palmer and her husband had a life others dream of—traveling the US in a luxury forty-foot motor coach, going where they wanted.  Suddenly, D’Anne finds herself a widow with her only asset being the motor home.  Without funds to return to California, she decides to hire out the RV.  Tyler White was a “one-hit-wonder” ten years ago.  At a crossroads, he decides to attempt a comeback.  He’s hoping the three-week tour he’s put together will reignite his career.  All he needs now is some cheap transportation and the widow with the RV might just fit the bill.  D’Anne and Tyler discover a lot about themselves—and each other—as they journey from Nashville to Las Vegas, via Texas with the band and Tyler’s dog.  Can close quarters really help a has-been singer on the comeback trail and a widow with California style find love?

I believe that came in at 9 sentences so I’d like to add – Think Desperate Housewife on a road trip with the Urban Cowboy.  🙂

I have a confession.  I’m reading your book actually.  Though I’m slow due to time issues, I’m loving it Lynne.  It’s a great story 🙂 Where did your inspiration come from?

I was on vacation with my family watching the huge RVs roll by, and I started seeing these quirky characters.  When I got home I began to boot camp the plot.

Can you tell us two things you love about your hero?

Tyler is Big and gentle.

Your heroine?

D’Anne is intense but reasonable (maybe not at first, but eventually. LOL ) 🙂

What was the hardest part of this book for you to write?

The blow-out scene (huge argument) between D’Anne and her son.

The easiest?

For some reason, the scenes including Bear (a secondary character) came very easy.

Will you share an excerpt with us?

I’ve posted the first part of Chapter One at my website.  (Please click on Chapter One and it’ll take you to Lynne’s website so you can read her first chapter…you’ll love it)

What are you working on now?

I am currently working on a contracted book for Harlequin Special Edition due February 15th.  My working title is The Medic’s Homecoming. I also have author edits on my computer for a Medical Romance called Dr. Tall, Dark, and…Dangerous which is due out in July, and editorial line edits for another Last Rose of Summer book from The Wild Rose Press called Too Close for Comfort.  One word explains how I’m feeling – Overwhelmed!

I love your titles, especially Dr. Tall, Dark and…Dangerous.  That alone perks my interest.  🙂  Do you have any words of wisdom you’d like to share with others on their own journey to publication?

I’d like to quote one of our Presidents, Calvin  Coolidge:

“Press on.  Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.  Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men (and women) with talent.  Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.  Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.”

I keep this quote close to my computer.

What can we expect next from Lynne Marshall?

I pretty much outlined that in question #13.  Courting His Favorite Nurse – in stores March 2012! from Harlequin Special Edition(It is my debut in that line); An Indiscretion – March 2012 – Medical Romance e-book from the Wild Rose Press; Dr. Tall, Dark, and…Dangerous  – Harlequin, Mills & Boon Medical Romance – July 2012.

I’m so excited for you.  2012 is going to be an amazing year for you 🙂  And finally Lynne, where can we find you and your books?

My website is www.lynnemarshall.com, and my blog: www.lynnemarshall.com/blog.  I’m on Facebook and Goodreads as well. Friend me!  My books are available at Amazon and The Wild Rose Press, and the Special Edition will be in stores in March 2012!  Yay.  I have a newsletter folks can sign up for at my website to keep in touch.  I also have some free stuff available there.  I hope you’ll stop by and check everything out!

I’m so glad you were able to visit with us today, Lynne.  Thank you.  And thanks to everyone for joining us.

Until next week…Happy Reading 🙂

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 29, 2011 at 1:45 am

This story sounds good. I love country singers, and stories about them. One for The Road is now on my tbr list. Good luck with it, Lynn.

December 29, 2011 at 3:42 am

Callie, I recommend it. My reading time is limited lately, so I’m moving along slow, but the book is a great read 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 2:01 am

Enjoyed the interview! One For The Road sounds awesome. Great idea for a story setting. And l absolutely loved the quote. Very inspiring!

December 29, 2011 at 3:42 am

Glad you dropped in Ceri..loved her quote too 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 4:19 am

Hi Ceri!
      I kinda like the idea of traveling around the country in an RV, though haven’t had the chance yet. For fun, I like to take tours of those huge and gorgeous motor homes. Man, some of them are truly deluxe. You may have noticed the one on my book cover isn’t so deluxe looking – but the one in my head in my story sure was!

And that quote has seen me through many a rough writer days!

Thanks for reading and commenting. Your name is in my little drawing basket.

December 29, 2011 at 2:05 am

Enjoyed the interview, Lynne, and best of luck on your deadline!

December 29, 2011 at 3:42 am

Thanks for visiting Jerri!

December 29, 2011 at 4:22 am

Dear Jerri – I have actually lost sleep over this deadline. Fortunately, as I may have mentioned – I had to write an ultra long synopsis with the proposal, so I have the story all worked out (but you know how characters always throw those curveballs when we write) so now I have to do the one thing that ensures a book gets written – BICFOK – No! I’m not cussing – translation: Butt in chair, fingers on keyboard. 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 3:03 am

Lovely interview, Lynne and Christine. I read OFTR (finished last week) and it is a wonderful book! Well worth the wait (I stalked Lynne for months until I won a TWRP discount coupon on a blog). Oh and Lynne- the scene you mention as the most difficult? So very well crafted! I felt her pain, his pain and your pain as I read that scene! Loved Bear! If I had a fave character it would be him (aside from Tyler and Dee, of course).

Good luck in all your 2012 endeavors, Lynne and Christine!

December 29, 2011 at 3:44 am

Glad to see you here Calisa! Loved your insight into Lynne’s book, makes me want to read faster…lol

December 29, 2011 at 4:27 am

Hi Calisa! Thank you so much for commenting today. I know today is one very special day for you, too! In fact, I need to get my fingers over to the Wild Rose Press and get your book since it’s release day for Home. Congratulations!

I am so grateful that you thought OFTR was a wonderful book. You’ve made my day. And, you know, I recently was a guest at a book club (you can all read about that experience at my blog all this week) and Bear turns out to be the favorite secondary character, too! It cracks me up how women love that guy and I didn’t hold anything back when I wrote him! He does sort of wiggle his way into the reader’s heart, I must say. 🙂

5. shanongrey

December 29, 2011 at 3:16 am

I enjoyed the interview and the teaser. Well done in nine sentences. I look forward to reading One for the Road.

December 29, 2011 at 3:43 am

Can’t recommend it enough Shanon…thanks for visiting 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 4:29 am

Hi Shanon! My editor at Wild Rose Press wrote those nine sentences! I’m glad you like the book blurb. Back in the old days when we used to go to book stores to buy books (sad sigh inserted here) the book cover and the back blurb was what sold the book for me. I’m really happy you liked mine!

December 29, 2011 at 3:44 am

Hey! I have to love your heroine’s name! LOL! How did you come up with it?

December 29, 2011 at 3:46 am

LOL…D’Ann, I was hoping you’d drop in. You’re the first person i thought of when I started reading One For The Road…every time I read the heroine’s name, I think of you!

December 29, 2011 at 4:35 am

Hi D’Ann!
      I’m really happy you stopped by too! Love your name! 🙂 OK, here;s the story on the name. I was writing this character who was of a certain age and I named her Deanne Palmer. One of my critique partners suggested i give her a more “California” kind of name. Well, she’d already become Deanne to me so we agreed to get jiggy with it and drop the “e” and add an apostrophy. I was also becoming friends with another writer at the time named D’Anne. She insists I wrote the character for her. LOL. That D’Anne also happens to be my one critique partner these days.
      But for those who’ve read the book – did you notice how quickly Tyler changed that fancy apostrophy name to something simple and solid? She’d always be Dee to him.

December 29, 2011 at 10:04 am

Love that tidbit into our story Lynne 🙂 All the behind the scenes things you learn about a book your reading makes it that much better 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 4:00 am

That’s a great author pic! Tall, Dark & Dangerous sounds like a good read for me. Oh! And I thought of D’Ann too when I saw the name in the blurb 🙂

8. Lynne Marshall

December 29, 2011 at 4:13 am

Good morning (I know it’s probably almost lunch wherever you folks are!) Yikes, I scared myself when I opened Christine’s blog and saw this big honking picture of myself. Hope i didn’t frighten any commenters away!

I think I forgot to say I’d love to give an e-book copy of One for the Road to one commenter today. Is that okay christine?

Now back to comment individually to all of the lovely folks who’ve stopped by and left a note.

Thanks for spotlighting me, Christine!

December 29, 2011 at 4:23 am

LOL….I tried to downsize the pic, but it wouldn’t go…so since you are a lucky girl and take a nice photo…I kept it at the deluxe size 🙂

How exciting to be giving away a copy! Love the idea! I’m sure everyone here will be thrilled to be entered! Thanks Lynne 🙂

9. Lynne Marshall

December 29, 2011 at 4:15 am

Hi Callie! – oh, I’m so happy to be on your TBR list. I had a ball writing this book, and I hope it comes through in the story.

And Christine – I’m so jazzed that you’re reading my book. Thank you!

December 29, 2011 at 4:24 am

I just wish I could read it faster 🙂 I really feel for her heroine, from page one I loved her 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 4:43 am

Thank you so much, Christine! That was another comment I heard at the book club – they liked my “can’t keep her down” spunky heroine.

whew – because I love D’Anne!

10. Lynne Marshall

December 29, 2011 at 4:40 am

Sheri! I scared myself when i opened the blog today. Yikes, that’s one big picture. Hope I didn’t scare anyone off!

I’ll confess about that picture. My family friend who is a photographer, and who does fantastic work, was supposed to update pics for me since it’d been four or five years, however, he got called off the day we’d planned. I’d already planned to have my hair done and this sweet little lady who does facials for me once in a while, offered to do my makeup, so, and most importantly, I was ready to have new pictures taken. So I called up my local photographer – the place where all the kids go to get their highschool senior pictures taken – and went there. LOL. Pretty standard poses, but I was pleased with the outcome.

I’m blabbing way too much today!

• Sheri Fredricks

December 29, 2011 at 4:50 am

LOL! Glad you chose the blue background instead of giant pencils or the psychedelic wall. It turned out great.

December 29, 2011 at 5:25 am

Sheri – I admit – it was hard to resist that psychedelic wall! I’ve got a goofy pose at my Facebook page. i look like a Christmas caroller! What I wanted to look like was a scholarly author who is clearly enthralled by books. hee hee.

Freind me!

11. Christine Ashworth

December 29, 2011 at 5:06 am

Lynne, great interview as usual! Those of you who haven’t read One For The Road yet are in for a treat. It’s a terrific story!

December 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

You said that right Christine…I’m not all the way through it and love it! (love your name btw…lol)

December 29, 2011 at 5:12 am

What a great first chapter. Your characters seem so real!
    This book is now added to my TBR pile–close to the top, LOL. I get the feeling this story will leave me very satisfied–a feel-good story.

13. Lynne Marshall

December 29, 2011 at 5:26 am

Christine Ashworth – smooches winging your way through cyberspace!
    Thanks for your support.

14. Lynne Marshall

December 29, 2011 at 5:28 am

Brenda! I’m so glad you read the excerpt at my website. Thank you for visiting this blog.

That was another comment I heard at the book club event where I was on the hot seat, right next to my book! They loved the characterizations. It was music to my hot-from-nerves ears!

December 29, 2011 at 5:30 am

Lynn you make me tired! LOL
    Congrats on all your success, and I wish you all the more in the coming new year!
    Wonderful interview, Christine thanks for making my bookshelf grow!

December 29, 2011 at 5:50 am

Hi Neecy –
      I’m freaking out that I will drop some part of this juggling game I’m playing, so I’m really tired too!

Thank you for reading the blog and commenting – got you name in the drawing.

December 29, 2011 at 10:07 am

Denice, glad to help you add on to your bookshelf! This is a great read 🙂

16. RobinRobin

December 29, 2011 at 5:36 am

Hi Lynne and Christine! Great interview! I love seeing your smiling face in the morning, Lynne! And I love the snow (I think it’s snow, right?) drifting across your site, Christine. One For The Road is terrific and I especially can’t wait for Dr. Tall, Dark and…Dangerous. Great title!

Best wishes to you both in the new year!

• Robin

December 29, 2011 at 5:37 am

Oops – I’m just Robin. 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 5:53 am

Hi Robin! I kind of like you as RobinRobin! It sounds more emphatic. RobinRobin! Did you see that? 🙂

I like the snow drifting by, too.

After a long string of not so great Medical Romance titles – I’m very happy with the July 2012 title, believe me.

Thanks for commenting and not being frightened off by my clost to crazy smile at the top. 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 10:09 am

Glad you dropped in Robin…and like Lynne I like RobinRobin too 🙂 Happy you like the snow and even happier that we’re in agreement that Lynne’s title of Dr. Tall, Dark and…Dangerous is a hit. As for Lynne’s One For the Road…highly recommend 🙂

17. Robena Grant

December 29, 2011 at 5:48 am

Lovely interview Lynne and Christine. I loved One for the Road, and yes, Bear was my favorite secondary character. : ) But I especially loved the spunkiness of Dee and how she grew, becoming stronger and yet somehow softer, as the story progressed. And Tyler. Well he was just yummy.

18. Lynne Marshall

December 29, 2011 at 5:55 am

Hi Robena –
    Thanks so much for your support and for commenting today. This is the last blog I’ll be doing for One for the Road, so it does my heart good to know a handful of people read it and enjoyed it.

I agree – Tyler was yummy. What i’d give to actually see him in that Vegas outfit.

December 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

Great to meet you Robena! Lynne…you’re a popular lady 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 11:04 am

I’m blessed with some wonderful writer friends, Christine – as I know you are too. That’s the most impressive thing about us romance writers – we support each other!

19. Joyce Sapon

December 29, 2011 at 6:09 am

Lynne, great interview!
    I love the interaction between your characters, it feels natural. Looking forward to your next books, always a pleasure to read your work. I think it’s time for another road trip with the family again. Though with all working or in school the time constraints are a bit tougher. Maybe a family trip to Greece to meet long lost family members on Crete!

December 29, 2011 at 7:25 am

Hi Joyce!
      Thank you for commenting! Hey, may I come along on that trip to Greece? Oh, but is it safe to go there now? Lots going on in the world. Maybe I’ll stick to RVing…

🙂

20. Roz Lee

December 29, 2011 at 6:22 am

Great interview, Lynne!! One for the Road is a fabulous book. Wishing you all the best in 2012!

December 29, 2011 at 7:26 am

Hi Roz!
      Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I was so excited to read your kind review at Amazon. Thanks again and again!

21. Janie Emaus

December 29, 2011 at 6:39 am

Great interview. And One For The Road is on my TPR pile for next year.

22. Sharon

December 29, 2011 at 6:48 am

This book sounds amazing! Congratulations on all your success. 2012 sounds like its going to be a great year for you.

December 29, 2011 at 7:27 am

Hi Sharon – Thank you so much for commenting, and sending your good wishes for 2012 right back to you!

I’m thrilled you think One for the Road sounds amazing.

23. Gina B.

December 29, 2011 at 7:11 am

Thank you, Lynne and Christine, for a wonderful interview!

Lynne, I loved reading about how the idea for One for the Road came about – how fun! I’m so excited about this story and all of your upcoming releases. Congrats! And I love the Coolidge quote — so inspiring!

24. Lynne Marshall

December 29, 2011 at 7:29 am

Hi Gina!
    I’m very grateful to Christine for inviting me today. I had a lot of fun answering her questions.

Yeah – whodathunk Calvin Coolidge would be inspiring authors in the 21st century. Just goes to show, good advice is ALWAYS good advice.

Thanks for commenting.

25. ChristineWarner

December 29, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’m enjoying everyones comments! Thanks to everyone for stopping in and chatting…and Lynne…so happy you are here today! Reading what everyone is saying about your book has inspired me to read faster. LOL

Thank you again for letting me interview you!

December 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

It was totally my pleaser, Christine! thank you!

I’ll let you know the drawing winner in an hour or two, okay?

December 29, 2011 at 11:20 am

Sounds Wonderful….thanks Lynne 🙂

26. Maria Powers

December 29, 2011 at 10:33 am

Love the Tall, Dark and Dangerous title too. I love road trips and One for the Road was a favorite this year. Great interview and a great blog, too!

December 29, 2011 at 11:21 am

Thanks Maria for visiting and the compliments 🙂

I’m with you on the title Mr Tall Dark and Dangerous…I think it’s a hit for sure.

27. Lynne Marshall

December 29, 2011 at 11:03 am

Hi Maria – thank you for popping in. You are a dear!

Yes, Christine has a very nice blog with lots of guests. I hope you’ll check her out again sometime.

I’m so glad you enjoyed OFTR.

28. Dee J.

December 29, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Lynne,

I’ve said it before and I’ll say again… Love the book! Love the characters! (And we all know I’m partial to D’Anne!!! )

December 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Well, well, well, if it isn’t D’Anne, the person who my character might just be named after…I’m not sayin’ for sure though.

Thank you for reading my book and loving my characters!

All the best wishes for your next release in Februrary, Danger Zone, Ms. Dee J Adams. 🙂

29. ChristineWarner

December 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I just wanted to say thanks again to Lynne for joining me on What to Read Wednesday! I had a wonderful time.

Also to everyone who stopped by to comment 🙂 …a HUGE thank you!!

Enjoyed all the conversation and loved meeting some new people too! I’ll be posting the winner of Lynne’s book tomorrow morning…so stop back to find out if you won!

Happy Reading!!!

30. myrahmcilvainMy

December 29, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Thanks for this great interview. I have already copied/pasted/printed Lynne’s Calvin Coolidge quote. It’s going on my wall over my desk!
    Lynne is an inspiration–what a schedule. Good luck for a great 2012.

December 29, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Myra, as always I’m so thrilled when you stop by! Glad you enjoyed the interview 🙂

December 30, 2011 at 4:36 am

Hi Myra!

I’m thrilled you’ve been inspired by good old Cal’s important words.
        Thank you so much for commenting, and I wish you all the best for 2012 as well. 🙂