05 Jan

If today is your first visit thank you for joining us, and if you’re a repeat offender…I’m so glad you came back.  lol  Welcome to What to Read Wednesday!…the first Wednesday in the new year!    I’m excited to have author Katherine Grey with us today.  So sit back and relax while we learn about Katherine and her book Impetuous.

I’m excited to have you here Katherine.  Please tell us five random things about you the person, not the author. 🙂

I’m 5’11” tall, I have 5 tattoos, I’ve lived in upstate NY my entire life, toast is my favorite food, and large crowds of people make me uncomfortable.

I’m not fond of crowds too much either, and toast is awesome…lol What’s your favorite time of the year?

Summer.  I really love the month of June.  The weather isn’t too hot or cold, there’s not a lot of rain and the flowers are in bloom.

I can’t wait for June…sunshine and flowers…perfect.  What book are you reading now?

I’m reading Animal Magnetism by Jill Shalvis for pleasure and Twitter for Dummies for promotional purposes.  I’m technologically inept and need all the help I can get.

I heard Twitter for Dummies is full of great info 🙂  When did you first consider yourself a writer?  And have you always wanted to be an author?

I didn’t refer to myself as a writer until I was in my early twenties and then only to trusted confidants, but I was always writing stories in notebooks.  I never really thought about trying to get anything published until I met a writer who belonged to a former local RWA chapter.

Describe your writing space.

My writing space is the dining room table.  It’s a big table that seats 8 that my mother bought soon after her wedding in the late 1950’s.  I have room to spread out my notes, research material etc but have to gather everything up when I’m done writing for the day so we can use it for meals.

What genre or genres do you write?

I write historical romance primarily set in the Regency period.  I have an idea for a contemporary series that I’m eager to start after I finish revisions on my latest WIP.

Tell us about your latest release?

My latest release is my only release so far.  Impetuous is set in 1820 London, England and involves an impoverished Spanish Count, Mateo de Montayas, who is searching for a stolen heirloom and bent on vengeance.  Once he arrives in London, he learns his nemesis has died but decides to use the man’s daughter as a means of revenge while he tries to recover the heirloom.

I love the premise!  And your cover…I’m speechless…well only for a second…lol.  It’s awesome.  Why this story?  What was your inspiration?

I’m not sure I can answer the first question other than the characters wouldn’t leave me alone.  They were always pushing their way into my thoughts at the most inopportune times.  My inspiration for the story was all the wonderful Regency romances I read by great authors.  They pushed me to make the book the best I could.

What two attributes do you like most about your hero?

His loyalty to his family and his determination to do what was right regardless of the cost to himself.

Your heroine?

I admired Teresa’s loyalty to her family as well.  She risks life and limb to protect her father’s reputation and to keep any type of scandal from touching her ailing mother and although it costs her a great deal, I like her willingness to be who she is regardless of how others treat her.

Now let’s play LUCKY SEVEN….Pick seven words to describe your book.

Adventurous, fast paced, surprising, touching, sexy, funny, and it has an unusual twist.  That was harder than I expected it to be.

Lol…Sorry, I bet it was hard just choosing 7 words 🙂  What comes first for you when you are developing a story…plot or characters?

For me, it’s always the characters.  They come to me and urge me to tell their stories.

Please share an excerpt of your book!

Moonlight cast shadows along enormous

bookcases lining the walls. The balcony doors stood

open, the pale silk drapes fluttering in the breeze.

“Well, well, isn’t this a surprise?”

Teresa stiffened at the sound of the deep, husky

voice. She would know that arrogant tone anywhere.

Her heart picked up speed. Slowly, she met his gaze.

He wore the mask and clothes of black as he had

done in their previous encounter.

He released her with an impudent grin.

Eager to put space between them, she crossed

the room and stood with her arms folded on the back

of a chair. “What are you doing here? This is too

much to be a coincidence.”

“I agree. Why do you always seem to appear

where I am?”

“Me?” She gestured to herself in outrage. “I am a

guest here. I have been a guest at every occasion

that we’ve had the misfortune to meet.”

“But why are you here and not in the ballroom

with the others?” He moved toward her, gliding

across the room like a shadow. “Perhaps, you were

searching for me, eh?”

“And perhaps I took a knock in the cradle when

I was a child,” Teresa snapped. “Do you think me

completely addle-brained? Why would I be searching

for you when I didn’t know you would appear like

some wraith out of the mist?” Anger drained away

her normal reserve around members of the opposite

sex. She moved closer and stabbed him in the chest

with her finger. “If I knew you’d be here, in this

house, I wouldn’t have come within a day’s journey

of it.”

He grabbed her hand as she poked him again.

“And why is that?”

“Because,” she nearly shouted, “you cut up my

peace. I can’t concentrate on my studies. I’ve become

completely muddle-headed. I even mislaid my

notebook. I never mislay my notebook.” Her mouth

snapped shut as she realized what she’d said.

He pulled her closer, laying a finger against her

lips. “Then perhaps,” he whispered, lowering his

head, “I have come in search of you.”

He brushed his mouth over hers, a light touch

that hinted at things to come. Teresa pushed at his

chest. Propriety ruled her head for the moment but

for how much longer?

Great excerpt Katherine.  What was the hardest part of this story to write?

The hardest part was explaining why the heirloom meant so much to Mateo and his family and writing what happened to it.

The easiest?

The easiest was the last 3 chapters.  I had those written long before the rest of the story.  It’s the only thing I’ve ever written out of sequence.

What do you have in the works for 2012?

I have a novella entitled The Muse coming out in 2012.  It revolves around a secondary character from Impetuous.  I also hope to have revisions of my current WIP completed and the entire manuscript sent to my editor by the end of January so I’m hoping I’ll have another sale before 2012 is over.

Fingers crossed for you!  Sounds like 2012 will be an exciting year for you.  What’s something you discovered in your journey to publication that surprised you the most?

That it’s really hard to stop tweaking things here and there and pronounce the manuscript finished.  Having a deadline helps keep me from changing a word here and there only to change it back again in a later revision.  Once I start doing that, I know it’s done.

And finally Katherine, where can we find you and your book(s)?

You can find me at my blog or on Facebook.

Blog: http://katherinegrey.blogspot.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Katherine-Grey/265375626827267?sk=wall

You can find my books at the following places:

The Wild Rose Press: http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=905&zenid=db620686c91c17f56d2def7e6c42cc68

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Impetuous-ebook/dp/B005J7K52M/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/impetuous-katherine-grey/1105052736?ean=2940013040984&itm=4&usri=impetuous#CustomerReviews

Thank you so much for chatting with us today Katherine!  I know we’ll be hearing more about you and your books in the near future!  And to everyone else HAPPY READING!!!!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

January 5, 2012 at 2:02 am

Great cover Katerine!
    My oldest two girls have been tatted. I don’t think I could brave it. Don’t like needles. LOL
    Good luck with your sales on Impetuous. Thanks Christine, for introducing me to another great author!

January 5, 2012 at 2:58 am

So glad you dropped by Denice! I love her cover too…I’ve come to the conclusion there are some amazing ones out there that really draw you in!

2. Jennifer Lowery~Author

January 5, 2012 at 2:09 am

Love the cover, Katherine! I have three tattoos 🙂 Wonderful interview and excerpt! I’m adding this one to my TBR list! Thanks, Christine, for introducing me to another new book to read!

January 5, 2012 at 2:59 am

Glad you came by Jennifer…and happy I could help you find more to read 🙂

3. Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 2:17 am

Hi Neecy, Thanks for the good wishes. Getting a tattoo isn’t bad because of the speed of the movement of the needles. Where you have it placed is when it can be painful. The one I have on my ribs was by far more painful than the one I have near my shoulder above my bicep.

January 5, 2012 at 2:59 am

I can’t brave it either…one word comes to mind…OUCH! lol

4. Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 2:20 am

Hi Jennifer. I love the cover too. The artist did a really great job. I’m glad you liked the interview and excerpt. Tattoos can be addicting, can’t they? I hope you enjoy Mateo and Teresa’s story. :o)

5. Tereasa

January 5, 2012 at 2:23 am

Hi Katherine,
    I enjoyed the excerpt and the meeting the hero. Love a man who goes after what he wants! Good job and best wishes for Impetuous.
    Tere

January 5, 2012 at 3:00 am

Thanks for coming by Tere! We have the same taste in heroes…lol

• Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 3:14 am

Thanks Tereasa. Mateo is definitely a man who goes after what he wants. Thanks for the good wishes. 😮

January 5, 2012 at 2:51 am

Loved the interview, Katherine. I seriously hate crowds as well.

January 5, 2012 at 3:01 am

Happy you came by and liked the interview!

• Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 3:16 am

Hi Jerri, I always feel like there’s not enough air to breathe when surrounded by a large crowd. It doesn’t matter if we’re outside or in, I just start feeling suffocated. I’m glad you liked the interview.

January 5, 2012 at 3:25 am

Great interview Katherine and Christine! love that cover.

January 5, 2012 at 5:47 am

Glad you came by Calisa…and you’re right, another awesome cover!

8. Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 4:19 am

Hi Calisa, Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by. 😮

January 5, 2012 at 4:40 am

Hi Katherine, hi Christine! Happy New Year! Favorite line of your excerpt: And perhaps I took a knock in the cradle when I was a child. LOL! That’s a good one. Looking forward to seeing your name more often in cyber space.

January 5, 2012 at 5:48 am

LOL…glad you dropped in Sheri…I liked that one too!

January 5, 2012 at 4:42 am

Beautiful cover and intriguing excerpt! Enjoyed the interview.

11. Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 5:33 am

Hi Sheri. I borrowed that line from a friend of mine who says it when she doesn’t believe something someone is telling her. I hope you see my name a lot more out there in cyber space. Happy New Year to you and your family. 😮

12. Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 5:35 am

Hi Ceri, Thanks for the compliments. I’m glad you liked the interview. Thanks for stopping by. 😮

January 5, 2012 at 5:50 am

I may have to stop reading blogs because my TBR list is several miles long, but Impetuous is going straight to the top of the list. I love Regencies and your excerpt was irresistable.

• Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 6:34 am

Hi Ally, Thank you for the wonderful compliment. I hope you enjoy reading Mateo & Teresa’s story as much as I enjoyed writing it. 😮

14. myrahmcilvainMy

January 5, 2012 at 6:30 am

Thanks, Catherine, for another great Wednesday. Katherine, your excerpt is great. Thanks, too, for mentioning Twitter for Dummies. I’m glad to know it’s helpful. Seems I learn something from every Wednesday post.

• Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 6:38 am

You’re welcome. I haven’t actually started a Twitter account yet, but the book has pictures of the screens so I’m hoping it will help me navigate my way through it. Now I just hope the Twitter people don’t change things as often as Facebook does. LoL.

January 5, 2012 at 7:03 am

I love Twitter…it’s very user friendly..but I have wanted to pick up Twitter for Dummies because I’m sure it does way more than what I’m currently using it for 🙂

Thanks for stopping by Myra 🙂

January 5, 2012 at 6:36 am

Awesome excerpt. Totally grabbed my attention. I’m heading over to amazon right now!

16. Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 6:40 am

Hi Brenda, I’m so glad you liked the excerpt. It’s from one of my favorite scenes in the book. Thank you for buying a copy. I hope you love Impetuous as much as I do. 😮

17. Martha Ramirez

January 5, 2012 at 8:10 am

What a great interview! I really like your cover. Wishing you much success for the new year.

• Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 8:55 am

Hi Martha, I’m glad you liked the interview. Christine asked great questions. Thank you for the good wishes. I hope you have an awesome 2012.

January 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

So happy you came by Mart! Glad you enjoyed the interview 🙂

January 5, 2012 at 10:11 am

Your book sounds fascinating. Best of luck with it.

January 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

Thanks for visiting Callie 🙂

• Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

Thank you, Callie. I’m glad you stopped by. 😮

19. Mirriam Smyth

January 5, 2012 at 10:40 am

🙂 I *love* the title! Seriously! Impetuous isn’t a word I see very often, but I love it as the title. And the excerpt… *sigh* A lot of raw emotion in your sample. Best of luck on sales!

January 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

Great to see you Mirriam…you are so right about the emotion in Katherine’s excerpt….it was a great teaser!

• Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hi Mirriam,
      This is the first book that I didn’t change the title numerous times. It just seemed to fit Teresa’s personality. She does a lot of things without necessarily thinking them through first. I’m glad you liked the excerpt. Thanks for the good wishes. 😮

20. Katherine

January 5, 2012 at 11:52 am

Hi Christine,

Thank you for having me today. I had a great time talking with everyone.

January 5, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Me too Katherine! So glad you could visit today and so happy to learn more about you and your book 🙂

21. Lia Davis

January 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Great interview and cover and excerpt! 🙂 Best wishes to you.

January 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for visiting Lia…glad you enjoyed the interview 🙂

• Katherine

January 6, 2012 at 12:51 am

Thank you, Lia. I’m glad you stopped by. 😮

22. Joya Fields

January 5, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hi Katherine,
    Toast is your favorite food! Love it. I guess that’s comfort food. Congrats on your success with Impetuous, it’s on my TBR list and I can’t wait to read it. I’ve gotta go put Muse on my TBR list now too. Great post! Best wishes for continued success. 🙂

January 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Hi Joya….glad you discovered a new author in Katherine! Thanks for coming by 🙂

• Katherine

January 6, 2012 at 12:52 am

HI Joya, I think I love toast so much because I love bread. Thanks for the good wishes and for stopping in. 😮

January 6, 2012 at 2:44 am

My downfall too Katherine…bread in any variety can make a meal….lol