11 Jan

Welcome to What to Read Wednesday!  Thanks everyone for returning, and if it’s your first time, so glad you dropped in.  Today we are featuring one of my awesome critique partners, author Calisa Rhose.  She also happens to be a fellow author with The Wild Rose Press.  She’ll be sharing all the juicy details of her life as well as her debut book HOME.

So excited to have you here Calisa 🙂  In five sentences tell us about you the person and not the author.:)

Hi Christine! Great to be grilled by such an awesome cp! I love my horse and all horses. My husband and I have two Chihuahuas and we just took in a third (an abandoned one) yesterday.  I’m a sucker for tears. My six year old granddaughter lives with us at the moment. And I help hubbs care for his elderly father.

You are a busy lady!  Do you have a favorite word?

I don’t think I have one so I’ll pick one for the sake of argument. Happiness.

Nice choice  🙂  Three things you never leave home without?

My purse, wedding rings, phone.

Have you always wanted to be an author or what made you become an author?

I’ve always been one since I was in sixth grade and I wrote my first book. It was put in my school library.

I know we discussed that already, but I love how both of us experienced the same thing.  It was quite an experience to have my story put into print when I was in the sixth grade then on a shelf in my library.  I was hooked for sure.  What is a typical writing day for you?

Wake at 6 am, get granddaughter off to school at seven. Feed my horse and medicate FIL’s diabetic chihuahua. Take my coffee to the couch with my laptop and check email, surf the web, visit blogs. Then I either edit mss for work or write on my own work until the kid and hubby get home and I begin dinner, family time. After eight I write or do this—write blog posts.

What genre or genres do you write? Do you see yourself trying another one in the future and if so which one?

I write contemporary primarily, but I’ve been working on a paranormal series.

Tell us about your latest release HOME?

HOME is about a Vietnam vet who returns home to find everything different than when he left. Sam’s single ally is a gypsy girl he never paid attention to growing up. Poppy has always been in love with Sam and sees the chance to have him for herself when she sees how the town ostracizes him. Through trust and friendship they find their way to love.

I just love your cover!  Share with us two things you loved about your hero?

Sam’s determination to accept Poppy and his strength to know he’s not ready for the life he was groomed for and walk away.

Your heroine?

Her spunk and her deep devotion to Sam.

Now let’s play LUCKY SEVEN….Pick seven words to describe your book.

Vintage, fun, dark, intense, character driven, unique, strong.

Describe your hero through your heroine’s eyes (and feel free to quote her) 🙂

Sam is afraid of his own shadow since the war but he’s too stubborn to admit it until she forces him to face those fears. But he’s awfully handsome.

What book are you reading now?

Somewhere The Bells Ring by Beth Trissel.

Her book is on my tbr too!  What inspired you to write your latest story?

My latest is a cowboy story prompted by a series the Wild Rose Press will be releasing.

Please tease us with blurb of your book!

With extreme pleasure!

TAG:

What could a gypsy and a Vietnam veteran have in common?

BLURB: Silvertown’s outcast, Poppy Tippen, has loved football hero Sam “The Force” Callahan forever. But he never seemed to know she was alive. Now he’s home from the war and she suddenly finds herself comforting him from the demons of “that damn war.” Is his attention merely an escape from the haunting nightmares? Or does she hold the interest of the only man she’s ever truly loved?

Sam Callahan’s only solace from the war nightmares wrecking his life comes in the unlikely form of a gypsy girl with stigmas of her own. He’s known Poppy his entire life, but there’s something different about her now. Something special he desperately wants to hold on to. Can he convince her she’s the only thing he needs to put the past behind him?

What’s your current WIP?

I’m working on the cowboy story I mentioned above and I’m always adding to one or another of the paranormal series. I am also writing a fireman contemporary that was subtly inspired by 9/11.

Tell us what excites you about writing and getting published.

Everything but the revisions and promoting! I’m not good at marketing and always feel I’m falling short of the best I should be doing.

And finally Calisa, where can we find you and your book?

Get your copy of HOME at The Wild Rose Press and on Amazon.

Find Calisa at her website/blog http://calisarhose.wordpress.com

On twitter @Calisa_Rhose and Facebook @Calisa Rhose

She loves to hear from readers so drop her a line at calisa.rhose@gmail.com

Thanks again for chatting with us!  Much success to you and your book and to your future works.  You ROCK girl!

Posted by on January 11, 2012 in On Writing, What to Read Wednesday

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Cait O'Sullivan

January 11, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Excellent stuff, Calisa and fab interview Christine (as ever) xoxo

January 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm

You’re awesome Cait…thanks for dropping by!

January 12, 2012 at 1:33 am

*waves* Hi Cait! I love Christine’s interviews!

2. Margaret Tanner

January 11, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Hi Ladies,
    Great interview. Home sounds great Calisa. It is on my TBR list. I am especially drawn to the era – Vietnam. I have two Vietnam era novels published with TWRP too. It is great that they are prepared to take a chance on manuscripts set in a different era to the usual ones. At the risk of telling my age, I have to admit that the 1960’s was my era too.

Regards

Margaret

January 11, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Hi Margaret, glad to meet another Rose author! Wonderful that you have books set in the same era as Calisa..you’re right, it’s great that TWRP takes a chance.

Glad you came by!

January 12, 2012 at 1:35 am

I’ll have to check out your books Margaret. I was told that is wrp rejected HOME for the series it’s written for that I’d never sell it. I want to write a stand alone just to prove that agent wrong!

3. Lia Davis

January 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Great interview. The book sounds wonderful.

January 11, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Hi Lia, glad you dropped in! I can tell you that I’ve followed Calisa on several blogs and each time I learn more about her book. I have it on my nook, just have to find the time to read. It’s going to be a good one 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 1:36 am

Thanks for coming by Lia! I hope you read it and love it.

January 11, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Loved the interview, Calisa!

5. Tereasa

January 11, 2012 at 11:41 pm

A great interview! It’s nice to meet you Calisa and your book sounds wondeful! I love vintage anything! I’ve got Beth’s book tbr also! LOL.
    All the best!
    Tere

January 11, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Hey Tere, glad you came over and liked the interview and added Calisa to your tbr list! Happy Reading!

January 12, 2012 at 1:39 am

Ditto what Christine said, Tere! It’s wonderful to meet you, too! Thanks for adding me to your trb. I’m in great company with Beth. You know Somewhere is also a Vietnam era story with a war vet, right?

January 12, 2012 at 12:35 am

I love the cover and I really like the vintage storyline of a Vietnam vet. Congratulations on your first release.

January 12, 2012 at 1:42 am

Thank you Sharon! It’s funny but I wrote HOME partly because there are no apparent books written in the Vietnam days. Now I’m realizing others must have felt the same way around the same time as me because just right here I’ve learned of three more aside from HOME and Beth’s book! I just love it!

January 12, 2012 at 1:44 am

Hi Sharon, glad you dropped by!

And Calisa, isn’t it funny how when you notice something you seem to notice it everywhere 🙂

7. Loralee Lillibridge

January 12, 2012 at 1:39 am

Wow! Thanks, Christine, for introducing me to another author to add to my TBR list. As always, you do a super job of spotlighting the authors you interview.
    Calisa, I’m excited to “meet” you and will be reading your books and following your career with interest. Good luck!

January 12, 2012 at 1:43 am

It’s great ‘meeting’ you, too, Loralee! Thanks! Christine is THE BEST isn’t she?!

Love ya sista!

January 12, 2012 at 1:45 am

Hi Loralee! Glad to see you 🙂

Calisa sista….I’m blushing….hehehehe 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 1:45 am

Dang ya’ll are all early birds! I was up at six and already behind the game! It’s great to be here, Christine! Thanks for the spotlight, which is something you won’t hear from me often. I look forward to visiting with your friends today!

January 12, 2012 at 2:05 am

I’m not a spotlight girl either, I prefer to be operating it..hehehe! Glad you are here today Calisa. But I suggest you stop sleeping in so late…must be nice to lay around in bed until 6…..hahahaha

January 12, 2012 at 3:08 am

Right… When I stay up til midnight most nights? I need naps! lol

9. Jennifer Lowery~Author

January 12, 2012 at 1:46 am

Spunky heroines are my favorite to read! Adding this one to my TBR list! Wonderful interview, ladies! Thanks for sharing 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 2:05 am

Jennifer, thanks for coming by! Always glad to see you 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 3:09 am

Hi Jennifer. Nice to ‘meet’ you! Thanks for adding my book to your list! I hope you like it! 😀

January 12, 2012 at 1:46 am

Great interview,ladies!
    Your all ready on my book shelf TBR!

January 12, 2012 at 2:06 am

Denice…I wonder which one of us will read it first….hmmmm…sounds like a challenge 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 3:11 am

Just remember to leave a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads whichever it is! Purty please!

January 12, 2012 at 3:10 am

Woo! Thanks Neecy! Glad you came by. 🙂

11. Sandy Bruney

January 12, 2012 at 2:33 am

Cute interview with some different questions that are about the author and not just the book. Thanks for sharing.

January 12, 2012 at 5:21 am

Thanks Sandy. I had fun with these!

January 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

Thanks ladies…glad you liked the questions 🙂 I strive to be a bit different 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 2:36 am

Great interview, ladies. And for those who haven’t read it yet, Home is a great story. Best of luck with it, Calisa.

January 12, 2012 at 3:12 am

Thank you for that Callie! I am really glad you like HOME!

January 12, 2012 at 10:14 am

I’m looking forward to reading it soon..glad you dropped by Callie!

January 12, 2012 at 4:36 am

What a wonderful interview. I have five rescued dogs (including a chihuahua cross), so naturally I’m glad to hear you’ve just taken in another. Wishing you the best of luck with Home.

January 12, 2012 at 5:22 am

It always makes me laugh when Hubby brings the dog home. If I do it’s WW3 over another mouth to feed. When he does it it’s all good. lol Thanks for the luck, Ally!

January 12, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thanks for coming by Ally….and LOL at Calisa….isn’t that the way it works in most households?

January 12, 2012 at 4:46 am

Wonderful interview. I’m a fellow animal lover too.
    I’ve just added “Home” to my list!

January 12, 2012 at 5:24 am

Great Brenda! I love meeting fellow animal lovers! Except when it’s my dd and sil and their two big breed dogs that bark… a lot. lol Thanks for adding me to your tbr!

January 12, 2012 at 10:15 am

Hi Brenda *waving*…thanks for stopping in.

January 12, 2012 at 6:05 am

Hi Calisa, Hi Christine!
    Great choice on the era to write, Calisa. I don’t see too many post Vietnam books out there.
    Have fun with your horses and dogs! I’m sure your granddaughter likes to help 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

*waving* Hi Sheri….glad you came by. I agree, you don’t see a ton of books dealing with that era….it’s a nice change 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 10:27 am

Hi Sheri! That’s why I love this story. And granddaughters help? Well…they try I suppose. 🙂 Thanks for coming by!

17. Lynne Marshall

January 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

I had to pop in and say hello to both Calisa and Christine! I’ve got HOME on my Kindle – long story how I went about transferring it from the WRP download to my new Kindle Fire – but I am nothing if not determined, and I did it!

Looking forward to reading your book, Calisa.

I enjoyed this fun interview.

January 12, 2012 at 10:17 am

Hi Lynne…thanks for coming by! Congrats on getting the book onto your new Kindle Fire…I know what you’re going through….lol

January 12, 2012 at 10:28 am

Oh dear… was it that bad, Lynne? I’m glad you got it worked out. I’m anxious to hear what you think about it.

18. Katherine

January 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

I want to say how much I admire you,Calisa, for caring for your granddaughter. I’m currently caring for my 10 year old nephew. It’s a bit daunting to suddenly become the mother figure when you’ve had no prior experience but we’re figuring it out together.

I purchased HOME after I saw your blurb and excerpt on another blog. Now I just need to find time to read it. 😮

January 12, 2012 at 11:21 am

I’m with you Katherine! I have Calisa’s book, now I just need to find time to read it….I can’t wait. I love the premise and think I already have a crush on Sam 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I wish you luck Katherine and I admire you. New parents to an older child cannot be easy! But thank you for getting HOME! 🙂 I hope you like it.

19. Christina Wolfer

January 12, 2012 at 10:58 am

Great interview, ladies. I have my copy of Home and can’t wait to have time to read. I’m also very anxious for the cowboy stories. From a glimpse I got awhile back, sounds delicious.

January 12, 2012 at 11:21 am

Hi Christina, thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed the interview and have a copy of Calisa’s book!

January 12, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Lol I forgot you got a taste Christina! ll I hope you like HOME when you read it! I can’t wait to visit your blog in a couple of weeks! I love my Divas and I absolutely love your books! I hope to read Two Brothers soon, to. 🙂

20. ChristineWarner

January 12, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thank you so much Calisa for joining us today! I hope you had as much fun as I did!

Love ya girl!

January 12, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I’ve had a blast today Christine. Sorry I disappeared later in the day. Long story short, fil had to go to the hospital and I just got home. He’ll be ok they think but strokes are unpredictable.

Love ya back!

January 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Glad he’s back home and you guys are doing okay 🙂 While you’re taking care of everyone else, don’t forget yourself girl!!!

January 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm

He’s home today and feeling ok. Thanks!

22. myrahmcilvain

January 13, 2012 at 4:31 am

Thanks, Christine, for another great one. Home looks like another great read. Calisa’s trouble with promoting rings my bell. You make such a difference for writers who need help with that old marketing demon.

January 13, 2012 at 11:15 am

Myra, you always have the nicest things to say 🙂 So glad we met. I love helping other authors promote and I think there are a lot of others out there who feel the same 🙂

Thanks for coming by!

January 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I SO agree Myra! Blggers like Christine (and myself for that matter) make a huge difference in helping authors, esp debut ones, get their book out there. I know that’s why I do it. Maybe Christine does it because she’s addicted to blogging and it’s a great thing to blog about! 😀

Thank you for coming by!

January 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm

LOL…I admit I’m a blog addict, but I love helping other authors spread the word too….so I get to combine both addictions 🙂 How awesome is that? lol