14 Jan

Do you ever find yourself sitting in front of the television flicking the remote endlessly from channel to channel until you go through all the stations and start over?  Do you ever find yourself wondering how come the night you actually have time to sit down and watch a TV program there isn’t anything on?

Although I’m not a big fan of television, and find quite often it’s on as background noise, there are times I want to tune in…to something.  Most of the time I struggle to find something on tv that I really want to watch.  I admit there are a few shows I like, but I’m not one who remembers the night they are on or even what station.  And I suppose that’s because, although I like them, I’m not that attached.  I do enjoy shows like Law & Order SVU, CSI, Dateline, 48 Hours Mystery…just to name a few.  And there are still other shows that I’ve heard about or seen clips of that look good, and I tell myself I should check it out, then forget about it.

But I also have a few deep dark secrets.  Shows that, like I mentioned above, I don’t actually have the time slot and station listed on my calendar, but when I come across them while surfing, I’ll stop and tune in.

Yes, those shows that are my guilty pleasure.  You know the ones I’m talking about.  Shows that have high ratings, but nobody seems to watch.  LOL…I mean nobody seems to admit to watching.  Well, I’m breaking the mold folks.  I’m going to step forward and share my guilty pleasures—yes as in plural form meaning more than one.

I’m of the firm belief that we all have at least one.  ONE (or more) of those shows that only your best friend knows you indulge.  One (or more) of those shows that comes up in casual conversation at work, or while you are out and about with friends and makes everyone laugh while you join in a bit self-concsiously, tugging at your collar, turning beet red.  And if you do admit to having seen it—once…okay maybe twice—you don’t recall if you watched the whole episode (yeah right) or what time or station it was on (yeah right again…lol)

Okay, I’m going to do it first and admit my guilty pleasure…and I can already hear the snickers.  I have no clue what possessed me to delve into this subject…it’s not like I didn’t have other subjects to talk about…but for some reason I wanted to hear—no make that double check…validate—that I’m not the only one.

I guess that thought makes me a bit nervous, but I’m still going for it.  It would be funny if I really was the only one that admitted to some of these guilty pleasures…but I’m pretty confident there are others out there like me.  LOL…at least I hope.  How awkward would I feel if it was me alone?  Solo.  On my own.  Lonely.  You get the picture…lol

Sorry, I’m getting off track…so let me get back to talk of guilty pleasures.  My guilty pleasures—at least when it comes to television—is reality tv!  I can hear the gasps of surprise…I know!  Shocking eh?

You have to admit there are tons of reality shows out and some of them are pretty silly.  Some are just flat out stupid and others are actually kind of interesting.

One show I’ve watched since the beginning is SURVIVOR.  From the first episode well over 10 years ago I was hooked.  I do admit that the last 2 seasons have become old hat, but I still watch it.  I don’t’ know what it is about that show, but I always look forward to the new season.  Years ago I worked in a small office and I organized a game for all of us to play…and yep, everyone tuned in.  We would each draw a name of one of the players and we were that person until the end.  Each week we put in a dollar and when you were voted off you were done.  The last 2 players split the money 60-40….it was fun.  That’s how addicted I can get.  lol

Another guilty pleasure I’m going to admit to, in the realm of reality television, is Storage Wars….hahahaha…I even laugh at myself for watching it.  Really, think about it.  What is so exciting and interesting about watching a group of people bid on storage lockers so they can resell the contents or find something amazing to collect?  I have no clue.  I think it’s the thrill of the recliner hunt…checking out to see if they find something totally incredible that they’ll make oodles of dollars off of it and retire to their own private tropical island.  I had to laugh though when my daughter fessed up to loving the show too!  I guess this sickness is hereditary.

There’s been other shows I’ve watched here and there.  I enjoy Pawn Stars, used to watch America’s Next Top Model (until that station was taken off our cable service) and I laugh at What Not to Wear and Say Yes to the Dress.

Now I will admit that although I like some reality shows, the only one that I make sure to tune into is SURVIVOR.  The others are shows I’ll stop and watch if I run across them in my channel surfing.  (No…really)  hahaha

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please….

I want you to dig deep, pull up your big girl/boy pants and fess up!  What is your guilty pleasure when you watch television?  Is there a show that you like, maybe even LOVE, that you don’t  tell many about?  It doesn’t have to be a reality television show, just any show that isn’t something most people would picture you’d watch, but you do and enjoy.

Looking forward to reading your answers!

Posted by on January 14, 2012 in Day to Day Life, Friday Fun Facts

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Jennifer Lowery~Author

January 14, 2012 at 12:58 am

My guilty pleasure is watching the Hallmark channel movies when a good one comes on. So not what I write or read, but I love a feel-good movie once in awhile. Don’t think my family knows, lol! Fun post this week, Christine! Thanks for doing this!

January 14, 2012 at 1:16 am

Glad you liked the post Jennifer…and glad you came by. I love Hallmark movies too…they always make me cry…just like Little House episodes do. 🙂

2. Tomi

January 14, 2012 at 1:00 am

I’ll be first…. I’ve just found and started watching The Dead files.. It’s a paranormal show that involves a cop and a medium. They go to haunted places, she does her reading without him being there, he investigates the facts and they compare their findings.

Love it

• Tomi

January 14, 2012 at 1:02 am

Well Second 🙂 Boy your quick Jennifer

January 14, 2012 at 1:17 am

That sounds like a good show! See, there I go. I hear about something that sounds good, but usually never get the chance to watch it.

• Jennifer Lowery~Author

January 14, 2012 at 2:20 am

LOL, Tomi!

January 14, 2012 at 1:03 am

Can’t watch reality TV, but my teens can’t get enough of them.
    I will confess that I like to watch -Charmed! Prue, Piper and Phoebe rock!
    If they had a television series on a historical times with some romance I’d watch that too!
    Good post,

January 14, 2012 at 1:18 am

Oh I bet if you tried a reality show…just one….you’d be hooked…lol

4. Cait O'Sullivan

January 14, 2012 at 1:40 am

Commenting from across the pond here, the reality show I love is Strictly Come Dancing. But TBH, I don’t think this is a guilty pleasure — everyone now seems into the talent shows! Ah maybe a guilty one would be Total Wipeout. See you don’t know what I’m talking about…

January 14, 2012 at 1:54 am

Is Strictly Dancing with stars? We have a show called Dancing with the Stars….truthfully I’ve only seen bits and pieces of it so am not sure all that’s involved, but I know that each week a star gets voted off. Now Total Wipeout…I have no clue….but might be fun…lol

January 14, 2012 at 2:20 am

First, reality tv is the bomb. I love it. But, I have a new guilty pleasure and I still don’t know why. I watched a marathon the other day of this show and I’m shaking my head in confusion. Okay, okay, I’ll just come out and say it. The Tudors. King Henry is a total… but I’m still so draw to the characters. Maybe it could be Henry Cavill since he’s the image of my character, Lynch. But it’s more than that. Evil lurked in every corner of that castle. Everyone stabbing everyone in the back–literally. LOL

January 14, 2012 at 2:54 am

lol….I love your confession! I haven’t heard of that show….might have to search it out on the web and see what it’s about…though I know I’ll probably never watch it because there just isn’t enough hours in the day 🙂

Glad you dropped by Jerri!

January 14, 2012 at 3:21 am

American Idol (from the first episode to the last), Pawn Stars, 48 Hours and here’s my big secret (deep breath), I LOVE Wizards of Waverly Place. Yes, I watched the big wizard show-off show the other week. Now my secret is out :-/

January 14, 2012 at 4:55 am

LOL…love your deep dark guilty pleasure Sharon! Who’d have known…hehehehe

January 14, 2012 at 3:24 am

American Idol. I watch it each season. I tell myself after the end of each season that I’m not watching the next, but I always do. Also, I say I will not watch the auditions shows leading up to Hollywood Week, but I do anyway. I swear they must pay people to audition and make fools of themselves–they have too. Nobody can seriously be that nuts…can they?

January 14, 2012 at 4:57 am

LOL…I have watched the audition shows a few times just because I feel like you do….unbelievable that some people try out and think they can sing. LIKE REALLY? Anyway, those are funny..but I’ve never watched a show after the audition…which even surprises me because it seems like something I’d enjoy!

8. Cheryse Durrant

January 14, 2012 at 3:41 am

I’m watching White Collar and The Vampire Diaries right now, but I’m an old Buffy/Angel fan from way back. I LOVED the 1st three seasons of Torchwood (a British sci-fi thriller & Dr Who spin-off) but my jury’s still out on the fourth season – the 2 US-set eps haven’t yet matched the Cardiff seasons. Also, The Tudors is lush and wicked – a great study in character motivation and politics 🙂

January 14, 2012 at 4:58 am

ooohhh…another Tudor fan…I will have to look this up and see what it’s all about!

Glad you dropped in Cheryse 🙂

January 14, 2012 at 3:51 am

hehehehe….I loved the Bachelor until last year with Stupid, yes that’s a cap S, Allie. God, she turned me off forever. I can’t get enough of Simon Cowell’s music shows. American Idol and X-factor. And, my fave, America’s Next Top Model. I can’t get enough of the ID channel either.

January 14, 2012 at 4:59 am

OMG D’Ann…I want the ID channel, but it’s not in my cable package…can you believe that? I love crime shows, preferably true crime shows. lol. I remember watching The Bachelor too, but haven’t in several years. After awhile it just started to feel to rigged….I want them to fool me…hahahaha 🙂

10. tamlee

January 14, 2012 at 3:53 am

LOL, Hell’s Kitchen…Love Chef Ramsey! I like American Idol too…

Nice post

January 14, 2012 at 5:00 am

Lots of American Idol fans here! WOW….I have another friend who loves Hell’s Kitchen too….she said it’s the best!

Thanks for coming by!

• Calisa Rhose

January 14, 2012 at 8:10 am

I love Hell’s Kitchen. Hubby hates it. lol

January 14, 2012 at 4:05 am

Fun post, Christine! I’m a Designing Women fan – I’ve seen every episode at least 5 times…but I still watch. It’s even on my DVR. Last weekend I had one of those nothings-on-woe-is-me moments and found Chopped (Food Network)…that may become a guilty pleasure, too.

January 14, 2012 at 5:01 am

lol..some of those cooking shows look like they might be fun to watch….especially if they get competitive with each other.

I remember Designing Women, that was a good show 🙂

Glad you dropped by Krisit!

• Calisa Rhose

January 14, 2012 at 8:11 am

I LOVE Designing Women!!! And Golden Girls!

January 14, 2012 at 8:56 am

Golden Girls Rocks…..I still love Betty White…her character reminds me of my mom, who was also named Bettie lol

12. Tabitha

January 14, 2012 at 5:20 am

Well let’s see…
    American Idol…people just look at you crazy. But I is a very popular show so somone must be watching it besides me. LOL! The auditions are hillarious!
    Chopped…I can’t stop watching this show.
    Deadly Women…it is just unbelievable the things people do and why. I’m a big crime show buff. Its so interesting to get into some of these murderers heads. Yeah that isn’t something I share with many. They think I’m a little deminted. My oldest asked me once why I like watching shows about people killing people. Its not the murders that are facinating its delving into their heads that shocks me and keeps me watching.
    Whitney…I roll on the floor laughing when watching this one. Its just too funny.
    The Biggest Loser…it is too cool to see what they look like at the start and what they look like when its over. This is the one reality show that really make sense to me.

January 14, 2012 at 6:11 am

Great answers Tabitha! I have no clue what Chopped is, but someone else mentioned it too! And Deadly Women….I’d love that if I had it…must be on ID? I love the crime shows too..for the exact reasons you stated…and yes, I’ve had a few odd looks from people when I say that. LOL

Glad you visited!

• Calisa Rhose

January 14, 2012 at 8:15 am

My hubby asked me just yesterday, while I watched yet another crime drama, “Why do you like to watch all those blood and gore shows?” I stared at Mr. one-channel-and-it’s-Chiller. He continued, “I like blood and gore, but at least in mine people get ate!”

13. Tory Michaels

January 14, 2012 at 5:24 am

Rookie Blue and Survivor. I watch RB b/c Eric Johnson’s pretty (he plays Luke, a minor character), and despite the idiotic character they feature in most episodes (the moron Andy who’s probably the most incompetent police officer I’ve ever seen).

Survivor – my hubby dragged me into watching it in Season 6 (Pearl Islands, Rupert’s first run). Last couple seasons haven’t been quite so good. Hopefully they’re done bringing people back for a while. Ugh. At least it wasn’t a waltz all the way to the end and I was soooo happy Ozzy didn’t win (or even make it to the finals).

January 14, 2012 at 6:13 am

YAY…I love Rupert…but I was so disapointed Ozzy didn’t win this past season…he’s an awesome player 🙂

Thanks for coming by Tory 🙂

January 14, 2012 at 6:08 am

It’s probably not a secret but you can always find me tuned into annual country music awards shows. But I try to remember CSI, NCIS and The Mentalist (wonderful episode last night). But I think my guilty pleasure would be AI. I watched American Idol a few seasons in the beginning and then fell away. But the last two years I found it exciting to start at the beginning and pick my favorite. Last year Scotty McCreary was my top pick from early on and I’m still thrilled he won. Lauren was my #2 since about half way through the actual competition, but Scotty won my heart at his audition. Him and John Wayne. I was sad to see JW go.

New season kicks off next Wed- Jan 18th!! WOOOO

January 14, 2012 at 6:14 am

Another AI fan….there are a ton of you 🙂 I have never watched anything but the tryouts…which are usually good fun!

Glad to see you Calisa!

• Calisa Rhose

January 14, 2012 at 8:18 am

I used to skip the tryouts because I thought they were boring. lol Don’t know why I thought it, it’s the best part. Now I actually skip one or two (to catch my other shows I miss during AI) and then panic because I don’t see one of my picks. lol Skipping is not good. 🙂

Love seeing you too sweet sista!

15. Tereasa

January 14, 2012 at 6:53 am

Hi Christine,
    Great post! I love the old timers, Andy Griffith, MTM, and Lucy shows. And I so love the Little House. Depends on where I’m watching tv, if I’m alone, I watch the old ones. But usually with dh, we’ll watch ID channel. Sometimes I watch Swamp People with him. LOL. Very neat show.

January 14, 2012 at 8:05 am

I love Little House..I swear I cry at every episode…damn that Michael Landon! lol

Swamp People..now that surprises me Tere! Love it:)

January 14, 2012 at 7:18 am

My DH and I are Storage War junkies! And Hell’s Kitchen too. I love Project Runway and we watch Gold Rush too. But one of my personal guilty pleasures is Revenge. Very soap opera-y. Extremely rich people with too much power. Love it!!

January 14, 2012 at 8:06 am

YAY…YOu are a Storage Wars Junkie…love it Ceri 🙂

I’ve never heard of Gold Rush…..and I’ve heard Revenge is really good from several people, but have never run across it 🙂

Glad you came by 🙂

January 14, 2012 at 9:29 am

American Idol, Psych (on USA network — I think the main audience is college students, but the silliness makes me giggle), and Man vs. Food.

January 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

The only one I’m familiar with is American Idol, which has been a popular show for sure. Might have to google the other 2 and see what I read.

Glad you came by Ally 🙂

18. Karen Lovell

January 14, 2012 at 10:04 am

I’ve just seen ‘My Big Fat Gipsy Wedding’ is going to be aired in the US — watch it — defo compulsive, guilty pleasure watching there — oooh lucky ye!

January 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

LOL….okay, I have to admit the title does kind of make it sound like fun tv….hahahaha

19. Line of Serenity (Joyce Fields)

January 14, 2012 at 10:32 am

Nice blog!! I’m not really a television watcher, but I love Million Dollar Password and The Next Great Baker. Also love the Discovery channel! Can watch a good movie anytime!

January 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I’m with you Joyce, you can never go wrong with a good movie…and I enjoy the Discovery Channel too…when I watch TV….which is less and less 🙂

Thanks for dropping by!

20. ceradubois

January 14, 2012 at 11:37 am

I must be an odd ball….I don’t think I have any guilty pleasures…

I hate reality TV. I find Am Idol redundant—although I LOVE Scotty McCreery! That kid can sing.

But wait… I do love SyFy… I really have to stay off that station or wouldn’t get any writing done. I love paranormal shows like Being Human… Can’t wait to watch the new season. Aidan is just HOT! And I really am looking forward to the new Lost Girl about all kinds of Fae… The heroine of the show is a succubus. I’m seriously thinking about writing a story about one, so it will be good to see what they do with the show. I love science fiction (I got my start in writing by writing Star Wars fan fiction), I love fantasy and historicals. Yeah, I’m a fan of A & E too.

Well, looks like I do have some guilty pleasures after all…

Great post, Christine!

Sara Walter Ellwood
    also w/a Cera duBois

January 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Our cable service bites! We don’t get the Sci-fi station either. Okay, I admit it, I live in the boonies and we have one option for cable and they know it. LOL

So glad you dropped in Sara 🙂

January 14, 2012 at 11:40 am

Guilty pleasure?? Hmm. Favorite shows are: The Five, American Idol, In Plain Sight, The O’Reilly Factor. Any surprises there?

January 14, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hey Callie..thanks for coming by. Okay, I’m not familiar with The Five….so you surprised me. LOL Thanks for dropping in!

22. Joanna Aislinn

January 14, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Life stops (at least between commercials) on Mondays and Tuesdays every fall and spring during Dancing with the Stars. And I do turn on the TV to watch my favorite Frannie Fine (The Nanny) on Saturday and Sunday mornings. (At least I try to multi-task that one with exercise, lol.)

I can’t do other reality TV–okay, every now and again a few minutes of Clean House.

23. Zee Monodee

January 14, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Kitchen Nightmares, with Gordon Ramsay! Love them!
    I’m also hooked on the talent shows – X Factor, Britain’s Got Talent, Star Academy, Popstars (the last 2 are French).

But my real guilty pleasure – Gossip Girl. I know it’s for teens, I know it’s ‘simplistic’, I know it’s b*tchy and promiscuous and not something I’d want my nieces to watch, but I cannot get enough of it! Whenever I have a free moment and need a break, I pop a DVD of past seasons in and indulge. It’s like soap opera with drama and gorgeous clothes (and cute boys, lol)

So, that’s my confession… 🙂