10 – 4 Tuesday

17 Jan

Welcome to 10 – 4 Tuesday!  This is a new forum on my blog which will feature either an author or someone in a position related to publishing, editing, promoting or a service that is writing related.  I will only be offering this forum on occasion, one to maybe two times a month.  If anyone wants to participate, email me to set up a date  🙂

Here’s how it’ll work!  On 10 – 4 Tuesday I will ask our guest 10 questions about themselves and their service and then 4 questions for fun 🙂  So, let’s get started.

Today’s guest is Carey AbbottHi Carey, Thanks for joining me for the first ever 10 – 4  Tuesday 🙂

Thank you for having me as your first guest.

We’re going to jump right in with the first 10.  To start out, tell us a bit about yourself.

Well I’m a paranormal romance writer. Most of you know me by my pen name Tabitha Blake. I love all the creatures of the night. They fascinate me. I write sexy angels, demons, vampires, and shifters.

I’m the mother of four wonderful kids and when I married my hubby I was blessed with adding two wonderful boys who bring the number of children to up six. Never a dull moment. LOL!

Reading is something I am very passionate about. If I’m not writing then you will find me curled up with my Kindle. I read a wide variety of stories, from paranormal to contemporary. I just love books! I surround myself with the writing world, doesn’t matter if I’m reading, writing or blogging.

Carey, you amaze me!  With all of that going on I’m impressed you’ve started a new venture…but before we go there tell us a little about the types of books you write.

I write paranormal romance and paranormal suspense. Right now I’m working on Soul Extraction. Here I will give you a little blurb.

Blurb: Soul Extraction

Lyric VanBuren is a hardened FBI agent with a chip on her shoulder. Driven by the need to hunt down sadistic killers since her parent’s brutal deaths. But she has never crossed paths with one so vile as the Red Rose Killer. She thought she knew the face of evil but now she’s not so sure.

Craigen Archer was once one of Gods most esteemed angels, but not any more. Now he is just a lousy drunk without a future, one mistake and he was banished from the heavenly realm. Labeled one of the fallen, stripped of his angel powers, until God summons him with a request. Hunt down the notorious soul-sucking demon, Nyx. Redemption is in his grasp; the only thing standing in his way is one very nasty demon.

Lyric and Craigen’s worlds collide when he is assigned as her partner to work the Red Rose Killer case. She works alone and makes that quite clear to him from the start. With time running out, he has to open her eyes to a world she never knew existed and hope for the best. He has to find a way to make her believe or she may lose her soul to one of the worst demons to ever walk the earth. But will it be enough to save her soul and establish his rightful place in heaven?

Now that sound action packed and I have to say I love the character names you’ve chosen!  Well done 🙂  Besides writing, you’ve also started a new venture, a service to assist authors who are self publishing.  Will you share with us what it is specifically that you offer?

I’ve started E-Book Cover Designs By Carey. As a writer, I know how expensive a professional cover can cost and that got me to thinking. I wanted to help self-published authors in their dream to join the ranks of the published. My covers are personalized to what each author wants and don’t carry the hefty price tag most do. This was started to be a helpful resource to writers. As a writer myself I know how overwhelming and expensive it all can be.

How did this new venture come about?

A friend of mine was struggling with making her own cover, or paying hundreds of dollars for a professional cover. So I started to play around with making covers and they turned out pretty good. After she’d seen a few I had done she asked me to make a cover for her. Then I realized I could do it without it costing the writer hundreds of dollars and that’s when E-Book Cover Designs By Carey was born.

Love it!  Do you design covers for any genre?

So far I have only done romance covers but I’m open to making covers for any genre. Everyone deserves a great cover.

To give everyone an idea of your talent, I’ve posted a few of your covers!  I’m a reader who is first drawn to a book by the cover (I know, don’t judge a book by the cover…but hey…lol) so I have to say yours really catch the eye!  Nice job.  What goes into getting the book cover just right?

First I send you an order form and you tell me as much about your story as possible. I ask for H/H description, blurb, your vision for the cover, colors, etc. Then I find pictures that fit your vision. Once you approve a few of the pictures, I start working on two covers. Then I send them to the author and once he/she approves the right cover, then the cover is paid for and I remove the watermarks and send it to the author. If for some reason neither cover is right then I start over, but if it’s something simple like the font then I make changes. My ultimate goal is to make sure the author loves their cover.

Give us the link to your website.

ebookcoverdesignsbycarey.com and I can be contacted at careydoucet@yahoo.com

Are you planning on adding more services to your website besides cover design?

Probably not, or at least not at the moment. Making covers and writing take up a lot of time. I don’t want to lose too much of my writing time.

About how long does it take from the time an order is place and you come to a meeting of the minds on what the author desires before a cover is delivered?

This all depends on how meticulous the writer is on what they want. I did a cover not long ago, we had it figured out, and she had the finished product in two days. The average time frame is five to fourteen days but that all depends on how busy I am. But your cover can be rushed if you pay an extra 10.00.

What is the price range?

Covers range from $30 to $70.  But you can get a really nice cover for $30.

Congrats on your new venture Carey….now let’s get to the 4 🙂  What’s your favorite thing to do for fun?

I’m an avid reader. I would rather read than do anything else. But if you want to know something not many know I do for fun and want a little shock then here’s a tid bit for ya. I love to play Rock Band. LOL! I sing and play base and keyboard. I just love it! So every once in awhile I release my inner rock star.

LOL…your inner rock star…L O V E  I T!!!  Share your favorite quote (or if you don’t have one…feel free to make one up)

Something I have always told my kids and my husband. “If it makes you happy…then it makes me happy.”

Put these 5 words into a sentence:  Slide, Outside, Love, Pucker, Soda

Okay the romance writer in my came out in this response. But this was tough. I really had to think on this one. LOL! But here we go.

The slide of his tongue grazed the outside of her puckered lips, he loved that she tasted like cherry soda lip-gloss.

Nice job!  If you were told you were moving to a desert island and could only take 3 things with you, what would you take?

1. My Hubby…he is my real life hero. Can’t imagine life without him. Is that considered a thing? Hmm? Not sure. But I’m taking him anyway. LOL!
  2. My Kindle…I read constantly. Last year I bought over 300 books. No joke!
  3. Chocolate…can’t live without my chocolate. Hopefully it doesn’t melt! LOL!

Great answers 🙂  Thanks again for visiting with us Carey!  And for being a good sport 🙂  So excited you were my first guest.  Before we wave good-bye, let us know if there are any other links you’d like to share so we can find you and your services online 🙂

Book Cover Website: ebookcoverdesignsbycarey.com

Contact email: careydoucet@yahoo.com or you can contact me from my site.

Writer Website: Tabithablakesnocturnalnights.com

Writer Blog: http://tabithablake.blogspot.com/

Writer Email: tabithablake@ymail.com

Recent release: Tethered Hearts/It’s a free read.

Thank you so much for having me Christine. It was so much fun! But I always have fun checking out your blogs. Your ideas are just so unconventional and I mean that in a good way. You keep me entertained and laughing. I was honored to be your first guest!

Glad you enjoy my blogs Carey.  That’s a wonderful compliment 🙂  And thank you again for joining us and I wish you MUCH success in your new venture as well as your writing 🙂

Posted by on January 17, 2012 in 10 - 4 Tuesday

Tags: , , , , , , ,

45 responses to “10 – 4 Tuesday

1. Loralee Lillibridge

January 18, 2012 at 12:01 am

As usual, Christine, you bring fun to your blogs and new authors to meet. Thanks to Carey for sharing her writing world today. Lordy, what a busy gal. Cheers to you both!

January 18, 2012 at 12:17 am

Thanks Loralee…so glad you enjoy my blog! Always happy to have you stop by!

2. Zee Monodee

January 18, 2012 at 12:36 am

Loved the interview – Carey, I wish you the best of everything in your venture! XOXO

Christine – as usual, great job, girl! *hugs*

January 18, 2012 at 1:26 am

Thanks Zee…*hugs* to you and your awesome support!

3. Jennifer Lowery~Author

January 18, 2012 at 12:53 am

Fantastic interview, ladies! You are one busy girl, Carey! Your book cover designs are awesome and hopefully you can design one for me someday 🙂
    Thanks for sharing!

January 18, 2012 at 1:27 am

Glad you dropped by Jennifer…Carey’s cover designs are great! She’s a talented girl 🙂

January 18, 2012 at 1:36 am

Great interview, ladies! Carey, your covers are great-so natural!
    I read a ton of books too!
    Thanks for the introduction, Christine. Your blog rocks.

January 18, 2012 at 1:57 am

Love the inteview, ladies and the covers are fab!

January 18, 2012 at 4:26 am

Thanks for coming by Jerri….Carey did an awesome job on the covers. Talented lady 🙂

January 18, 2012 at 2:03 am

What a great service Carey offers to the Indie writers! I wish her many happy clients and look forward to seeing her own name on a few covers. Great interview, Christine!

January 18, 2012 at 4:27 am

Glad you came by Sheri! It is a wonderful service…and the prices are very affordable…makes it easier when you are just starting out to afford a nice cover 🙂

7. Sharon

January 18, 2012 at 2:03 am

Great interview!

January 18, 2012 at 2:37 am

LOVE this new interview, Christine! And Carey/Tabitha, good luck with your cover business!

January 18, 2012 at 2:40 am

Fabulous new feature, Christine. Carey, your covers are gorgeous. I’m not ready to jump into the self-publishing waters yet, but I’ll be contacting you if I ever am.

January 18, 2012 at 4:29 am

Glad you dropped in Ally…definitely keep Carey on your radar…I think we’ll be hearing more about her for sure!

January 18, 2012 at 3:05 am

Congrats on your successes! It’s nice to meet you here at Christine’s. I had to laugh when I saw the cover of “Playing With Fire” because that is the img that graces one of my cps second book. I loved it then and still do now. I will definitely keep you in mind. Though I have no immediate plans to self publish, several of my friends are. And who knows what my career will do in the future?

Thanks for a fun forum, Christine! You have the most interesting blogs!

January 18, 2012 at 4:30 am

Thanks Calisa…glad you like the blog…and definitely pass Carey’s name around to your self publishing friends 🙂

January 18, 2012 at 4:07 am

Great stuff!

So, if I know *exactly* what I want a cover to look like, can you do that?

January 18, 2012 at 4:28 am

Carey, you crazy nut, LOL. You are such an amazing, busy woman. And as you know, I LOVE your covers and will continue to use your services with every novel I have the good fortune to publish.

Great interview you two.

January 18, 2012 at 4:31 am

Can’t wait for you book to come out Brenda…and it’s awesome Carey could help you with a cover! AWESOME!!!!

13. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:10 am

Thank you Loralee for stopping by. I do stay pretty busy but I’m one of those people that hate to do nothing. LOL!

14. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:12 am

Hi Zee! Thanks for stopping by. You always lift my spirits. Hugs right back at you.

15. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:13 am

Hi Jennifer! I’m so glad you like that covers. I would love to make your cover when you’re ready. Thanks for stopping by!

16. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:17 am

Thanks Neecy! I read non-stop. I can’t imagine a world without books. They are my biggest vise. But I could think of worse addictions. LOL! And yes I am addicted to book and have been sense I was a kid. My mom use to take me to the library and tell me I could bring home as many books as I could carry. I always had my hands full. LOL! Then I would plow through them in a week and be ready to go back for more. Thanks for stopping by!

17. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:19 am

Thanks Jerridrennen! It’s nice to hear others like your work.

18. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:21 am

Thanks Sheri! My first cover went up on Amazon not that long ago and I was on cloud nine. You would have thought I just published my own book. It was awesome to see my name in the book as the cover artist.

19. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:21 am

Thanks for stopping by Sharon!

20. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:22 am

Thanks Kristina for coming by!

21. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:24 am

Ally thanks for stopping by! I will be here when you are ready to take the plunge. It can be scary but a lot of authors are doing quite well.

22. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:28 am

Thanks Calissa for stopping by! I love the picture on Playing With Fire. It’s just a cover I put together for my photo gallery but It is still a very sexy picture. But any picture with Jimmy Thomas in it is sexy. LOL! If you decide to self publish let me know and if not pass the info off to your friends. I would love to help them with their covers. I also have more covers on my website.

23. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:31 am

Hey D’Ann thanks for stopping by! I can make your cover anyway you want me to. That hasn’t been a problem yet. And if I can’t then you don’t pay for anything so a client has nothing to lose. Let me know when you are ready.

24. Tabitha Blake

January 18, 2012 at 5:33 am

Hey Brenda! I’m the crazy nut? Okay yeah your right maybe I am. LOL! I was so honored to do your cover and can’t wait until the first. I look forward to making all your covers in the future. I know there will be many. Hugs sweety!

25. jhalisteele

January 18, 2012 at 6:05 am

Loved the interview ladies. Carey, you are one busy woman–good luck in all your wonderful ventures. Soul Extraction sounds awesome!! 🙂

January 18, 2012 at 7:04 am

Glad you liked the interview…and Carey is one busy woman! I’m in awe 🙂

• Tabitha

January 18, 2012 at 9:49 am

Thank you so much for stopping by. I do stay pretty busy. But I don’t know how to be any other way. LOL! Soul Extraction will be my first completed MS and I can’t wait to get it out there. I’m one chapter from being done then on to edits.

January 18, 2012 at 10:44 am

That’s awesome Carey….I didn’t realize you were so close…WAY TO GO!!!

January 18, 2012 at 6:31 am

Loved it! Especially timely since I’m struggling with my cover and formatting a manuscript to self publish. I’m gathering my resources so when I can afford a professional cover I’ll know where to go. Yours are awesome! Congrats and good luck on your new venture!

January 18, 2012 at 7:04 am

Glad you stopped in Ceri….awesome about your self publishing venture….much luck with it!

• Tabitha

January 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

Cerri I would love to do your cover. Let me know when you are ready. Thanks for stopping by!

January 18, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Great interview. I love the covers. Good luck with it!

• Tabitha

January 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Thank you Callies for stopping by!