20 Jan

Okay, I have to admit that I’ve had an awesome week.  First off, things started with a bang when I was contacted by Lori Wilde who heads up the Indulgence Line, which is the category romance line for Entangled Publishing.  She offered me a contract for one of my stories!  Highlight of the week  🙂

I shared the news on facebook as well as some loops I belong to and it was so awesome!  The outpouring of support and congratulations that everyone shared with me made my night….okay, my week!  Talk about feeling the love.  I deeply want to thank everyone for their well wishes 🙂

That was exciting in itself, but it only started the week.  I felt like I really got some things accomplished.  Things beside the normal household functions.

I worked on my story Some Like it on the Run, which is a sequel to the book coming out in March titled Some Like it in Handcuffs.  I had hoped to have it completed by the end of the month, then have it go through a line of critiques before submitting it to one of my editors sometime in February.  Things were going along great and I finally I had a rhythm writing this story.  And let me tell you, I’ve been struggling with this from day one.  I’ve changed the beginning at least 3 times, rewrote several chapters, deleted some, added more, tweaked the remaining and wanted to throw it across the room.  Would’ve if I could afford to by a new laptop every few days.  🙂  Enough said there, we know that’s not happening.  Anyway, I finally managed to get some words down that I’m pleased with.

BUT…

(had to throw one in didn’t I?)  Come Wednesday afternoon, I just lost interest.  Oh no…you say…but it’s not as bad as it sounds.  I kept thinking about another story I had put away about 5 months ago to work on this one.  I didn’t put this other story away for any particular reason, other than I wanted to get moving on the Some Like it story.  So, I pulled it out and I’m glad to report I’ve already written 3 chapters…this is one of those stories that just flows from the fingertips with ease.  LOVE.  IT.

So, you’re probably wondering what this has to do with my Friday Fun Facts.  Believe me, it’s going somewhere, so just hang on.  LOL

While I was doing all of these writerly functions (and a bit of laundry, cooking, cleaning, and playing ball with dogs in between…plus my social networking gigs…hehehe) where was I?  Was I at home?

YEP, with a resounding round of applause…no, not applesauce…jeez, get your mind out of the kitchen  🙂

Most of my writing takes place in my living room.  I have 2 gi-normous windows that let the sunshine in, even on the coldest and snowiest of winter days.  I love the space, the views and the comfort of sitting on the sofa and creating, writing, tweaking and chatting on facebook.  (ssshhhh…I’m supposed to limit my time there, but it’s kind of hard.)

Yep, I admit it…My name is Christine Warner and I’m a homebody!  Whew, a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

This is the one place that I’m truly happy.  I know it sounds kind of boring.  And I guess it is.  But I’m comfortable and happy to spend my days writing and creating…especially when things are flowing and I’m not being challenged at every paragraph.  Not often I get a whole week like that…as a matter of fact it’s darn rare 🙂  Otherwise, if I’m a struggling writer, get me out of the house and do it quick!!!  Lol  I’ll look for any excuse to go out so I don’t have to suffer through my laptop taunting me from across the room.

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please….

Where is the one space you could spend hours and be truly happy?  Would it be alone surrounded by books, your laptop, your animals (like me?  lol), or out and about with friends and family….or would it be a certain restaurant, coffee shop, driving in your car, sleeping all day in your soft, cozy bed?  Maybe in your kitchen cooking up a yummy creation, or in your craft room building a scrapbook, or the library, bookstore, mall? Hmm…there’s horseback riding, hiking, out for a jog…Oh my…the list is endless.

Looking forward to reading your answers!

Posted by on January 20, 2012 in Day to Day Life, Friday Fun Facts

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Loralee Lillibridge

January 20, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Really, Christine? Jogging? Driving around? Nope, not me! I’m a homebody like you. I even get resentful when I need to grocery shop. I have two places in the house where I write – my office, where I can go and shut the door and really concentrate, and the recliner in the living room where I really get comfy. Both rooms have great windows. On days when I need to dig deep into my story and meet a deadline, I work at my desk in the office behind a closed door. On days when I can spare time to work on social media as well as my WIP, or if I just need to brainstorm, the living room works just fine. With a retired hubby at home, I’ve had to make some adjustments, but all in all, I’m in a good place right now.

Loved the blog and congrats on your good news!

January 21, 2012 at 2:02 am

Thanks Loralee for the well wishes!

As for jogging…don’t you have to jog out to the back fence now and again? lol

Love your writing spots….nothing like a great view for inspiration! Always a treat to have you come by!

January 20, 2012 at 11:25 pm

My kids say I never want to leave the house. I do, they are exaggerating, but I am happy being home, either in front of my computer or my TV.

January 21, 2012 at 1:54 am

Whew…I’m glad I’m not the only one 🙂 Thanks for coming by Jerri 🙂

3. Lia Davis

January 20, 2012 at 11:36 pm

First off, CONGRATS! again. 🙂 hehe It’s so exciting to get that contract.

Okay, my favorite place that I can spend hours at? My old, very large oak tree in the wooded area of my property. It’s peaceful and a great place to take in the sounds of nature.

January 21, 2012 at 1:55 am

That sounds amazing….not in the winter though with snow and cold, but in the spring, summer and fall 🙂 I can hear the birds and sounds of nature now! Nice choice Lia 🙂

4. Tereasa Bellew

January 20, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Nice post, Christine. It is so important to find just the right space, get comfy and let the words flow. My favorite spot is a little room hubby built off of the garaged, complete with wi-fi and bathroom. I’ve claimed it as my own and every evening go there to read or write. But, if an plot idea or funny line of dialogue hits me, no matter where I’m at, I’ll jot it down. So, sometimes I do my writing in the car!
    Best wishes with the Entangled line. : )

Tere

January 21, 2012 at 1:56 am

Thanks for the congrats Tere! As for your own little space…love it! I have an office that I share with my hubby, but it’s small and get to hot and I’m just not at my creative best there…. 🙂 Glad you came by!

5. Cheryl Yeko

January 21, 2012 at 12:47 am

I love being home. Now that I’ve been captured by the writing bug my husband has a hard time getting me to go anywhere…or even come out of my bedroom, which is where I do most of my writing.

I sit on my bed, earplugs in, big pillow behind me and a lap top holder over my lap. I’m totally in a zone!

Now, if we ever buy another house, I would make sure I had a room, all of my own, for writing. I would love one of those fancy lounge chairs to curl up on in front of a window overlooking a beautiful yard.

Maybe after my first best seller :>)

January 21, 2012 at 1:57 am

Oh Cheryl, are you talking about one of those chairs that is long and has a back along one side…like a sleeping beauty chair? LOL…that’s the best descpription I can think of. I want one of those too….almost bought a gorgeous red velvet one for our bedroom a few years ago, but we would’ve had to move out a dressed. LOL Glad you came by!

• cheryl yeko

January 21, 2012 at 5:20 am

Yep, that’s it. I will have one some day! :>)

6. Sharon

January 21, 2012 at 12:58 am

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the contract!! Whoo hoo for you!! My favorite place is where I am right now. On the couch, in my PJs, under an afghan, laptop on my, er, lap, dog asleep at my feet. I have a beautiful view of my wooded backyard and the sun coming up. I could stay here for DAYS.

January 21, 2012 at 1:58 am

Aaaahhhhh…sounds like heaven Sharon! Similar to my spot 🙂 Thanks for coming by and also for the well wishes 🙂

January 21, 2012 at 1:19 am

Definitely most comfortable in my chair in the family room. Two small dogs in the chair with me, and three large dogs around me on the floor (and sometimes the parrot trying to hop around my keyboard). I take the dogs on a 5k walk every day, which gives me time to think and hopefully work out story problems when I get stuck.

Congratulations again on the Entangled contract!

January 21, 2012 at 1:59 am

Thanks Ally…glad you came by 🙂

You have quite a pack of furry friends..love it! They are great working companions for sure.

8. Rose Vanden Eynden

January 21, 2012 at 1:57 am

Congratulations on everything wonderful that is happening for you!! Such awesome news!

My astrological sign is Cancer, and we tend to be homebodies by nature. Even though my home isn’t fancy, I love it. I also do most of my writing in my living room, in my easy chair in front of my large picture window. I love the light, and I am usually there with my dachshund curled up in a blanket next to me. Bliss.

I am also very happy in my bedroom. This is my spiritual space, where I keep an altar of treasured spiritual things, candles, and music. I meditate and pray here, which are two vital components of my spiritual work. And as a metaphysical writer, I know I couldn’t work without this space, either! 🙂

January 21, 2012 at 2:01 am

Hi Rose, thank you for visiting! Glad to see you. Love the descriptions of your special places you like to be. Very peaceful.

I’ve noticed a lot of writers tend to have pets….interesting isn’t it? 🙂

9. sarahballance

January 21, 2012 at 2:17 am

I am still SO excited for you! SQUEEE!

I am a total homebody. That said, when I’m at home I have that constant nagging in my mind that instead of “just” writing I should be doing laundry or something. So I have two favorite places to write, and even though I love being at home, neither one is THERE with the chores.

I’ve had a long standing affinity for writing in the truck. My two older kids take riding lessons, and while they’re doing that my mom watches the younger four. I take my computer and sit in the truck with my favorite CD playing and a view of endless pastures and horses grazing. It’s BLISS. And when the weather is such I can have the windows down, A-MAZE-ING. I am SO relaxed there! And the front seat is the size of a sofa so it’s totally comfortable. ;c)

Tied for favorite writing spot, however, is our boat. I’ve always been relaxed on the water, but we recently bought a cabin cruiser with all the comforts of home (only there are no dishes in the sink and no one nagging me to cook and no laundry on the bathroom floor, lol). I ADORE sitting inside at the dining table with a panoramic view of the marina around me. There’s something utterly serene about the birds splashing, the water lapping at the hull, and the creak of the moorings. It’s a whole other world out there – I get some serious writing done on board!

January 21, 2012 at 2:28 am

All I can say Sarah is will you adopt me?

LOL…both places sounds amazing!

So glad you came by 🙂

• sarahballance

January 21, 2012 at 8:22 am

Do you think we’d EVER get anything done? LOL!

January 21, 2012 at 8:31 am

Sarah, we might not get much done, but we’d have fun 🙂 lol….maybe even collaborate on a book…while cruising around on your boat which we’d trade in for a yacht…hahahaha

• sarahballance

January 21, 2012 at 8:40 am

Well, the boat we have now does have an upper and lower deck. We could separate ourselves, I suppose. ;c)

January 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

forget the trading in for a yacht then if you have an upper and lower deck…we’re all set for fun and sun 🙂

• sarahballance

January 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

There’s no elevator, though. And no crew quarters. Think big, darlin’! I’m glad it’s got a kitchen, but don’t expect me to step foot in it! (My husband thought that was a selling point. I glared at him until he promised to bring his grill on trips, LOL.)

• Azia

August 11, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Super exteicd to see more of this kind of stuff online.

• propecia

February 18, 2015 at 12:19 pm

That’s a genuinely impressive answer.

January 21, 2012 at 2:19 am

It’s wonderful to hear you had such a productive week Christine! I wish I had. Here it is Friday and it marks just one more week that have failed to put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard. Well, other than surfing the web. *sigh* My mojo has a leak I think. Either that or my muse drank it and went on a long trip without me. So where is my one place? I don’t have one anymore. It used to be my office where I could close the door, crank up the music and lose myself in writerly stuff. Right now I don’t have an office to hold up in and going upstairs, which I would love to do, means not being visible and easily available to fil… Today my mood icon is *my life sucks* 🙂 Definitely need a little eye candy to cheer me up.

January 21, 2012 at 2:30 am

:(…..feel your pain Calisa! I had a long bought of no muse either and struggled to write.

Here’s to hoping you get past it soon…it sure does take the wind out of your sales though.

January 21, 2012 at 2:20 am

Love my office. When I write the world and the worries just seem to fade away.
    Great post,
    I know I said it before, but I am so happy your book found a home with Entangled.
    Cheers,

January 21, 2012 at 2:30 am

YAY…thanks Denice…so glad you commented today!

January 21, 2012 at 2:21 am

Jeez! Can you say depressing? Feel free to delete that sob story! I’m curled on the couch with four dogs and a laptop. Life is good. 🙂 Now to do something productive. 😀

January 21, 2012 at 2:31 am

LOL…you are too funny….we’ve all been there Calisa….you just had a moment…all’s good!

xoxox

January 21, 2012 at 3:25 am

Here’s to big hair and an even bigger writing career! Congratulations on your success 🙂 I do most of my writing at my computer hutch, not by choice because my chair is really old, but I can be easily distracted. I usually pull my hoodie up over my head. Sometimes I’ll sit in the recliner because we have a fantastic view from our livingroom windows. Our house sits on a small hill in the middle of a valley surrounded by acreage. I love it. I’ve never written in a coffee shop before – how does someone stay focused that way?

January 21, 2012 at 4:09 am

Watch that hoodie and your hair Sheri….it can ruin a good day! lol

As for a coffee shop, I’ve done it a few times and actually is kind of nice…someone waits on you, and if you are in the mode, you can block out the noise. I only do it on rare occassions, prefer being in my own living room with my own personal view 🙂

14. Tabitha

January 21, 2012 at 3:51 am

Again congrat! I’m so happy for you! I’m a home body as well. My perfect place to be is in my room with my computer writing. The odd are you will find me there in my jammies. LOL! If I’m going to write or edit for hours might as well be comfy right?

January 21, 2012 at 4:11 am

Definitely! I should’ve mentioned I usually live in a pair of scrubs and tshirt….lol

Thanks for the congrats….I’m still excited!

15. Martha Ramirez

January 21, 2012 at 3:53 am

CONGRATS again!!! So exciting!!! I can’t wait to see your cover. Entangled does some amazing work.

I’d be content if I had my laptop anywhere, anytime. 🙂 But the beach really sound good right about now.

January 21, 2012 at 4:13 am

Mart…the beach would be amazing….under an umbrella with a cool drink! Nice choice 🙂

Thanks again for the congrats 🙂

16. Mirriam Smyth

January 21, 2012 at 3:56 am

Congrats on the contract, Christine! 🙂 That’s certainly exciting news!

Where I could spend hours alone at… My living room on the floor with my laptop, good music, and coffee. TONS of coffee. I could probably sit on the sofa, but it’s too… um, plushy? I’d probably fall asleep, lol, and that wouldn’t be too good if I’m trying to do something.

January 21, 2012 at 4:14 am

Thanks for coming by Mirriam! The more I read the more I realize how much all of us writers have in commong! LOVE IT!

January 21, 2012 at 4:11 am

Riding on the mesa with my daughter and our dogs on a hot summer day. Packing a picnic by the lake. Perfection. SIgh. I can’t wait.

CONGRATS on the sale!

January 21, 2012 at 4:16 am

Thanks for the well wishes D’Ann!

A picnic lunch on a hot summers day sounds perfect…especially in the midst of winter. If I close my eyes I can picture it. Plus, I know you live amongst some awesome scenery!

January 21, 2012 at 4:52 am

Two places come to mind and I haven’t been able to enjoy either since I was a teen. First and foremost would be trail riding with my horse. Things have changed in the *mumble* years since I rode the back roads of New Hampshire. Most of those old dirt roads are now paved and loaded with houses, but back in “the day” there was nothing more peaceful than heading down a dirt road that cars can’t go down, surrounded by the forest on the back of my horse. The second place is probably also gone. It was rock at the edge of a pond in the middle of nowhere. I loved to sit on the rock and look at the pond, the wildlife, and just think. I need to find a place like that again.

January 21, 2012 at 5:33 am

Both places sounds amazing Ceri…you’re right…you need to find another spot that’s peaceful, relaxing and yours 🙂

Glad you came by!

January 21, 2012 at 5:09 am

Christine, huge congrats on all your success!!!!

I’m like you–a HUGE homebody. I’m happiest at home, typing away at my computer, gazing out my window, and farting around on facebook.

January 21, 2012 at 5:34 am

YAY….I’m really really surprised there are so many of us homebodies out there…good to know I have some awesome company 🙂 Thanks for commenting Brenda 🙂

January 21, 2012 at 9:12 am

I love to go into my bedroom, while hubby is occupied with TV, and bring my laptop and current book. It’s quiet, peaceful, and it reduces my stress quite a bit. Sometimes I bring a snack. I especially enjoy it on a cloudy, cold Saturday afternoon. Then I nap. LOL

21. ceradubois

January 21, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Christine, I’m a lot like you. I’m happiest at home in my office (well, it’s the room I’ve confiscated as my office) in front of my laptop writing…… But alas, I have to work and take care of the family.

And CONGRATS again on your contract!

January 22, 2012 at 7:05 am

Thanks 🙂 I’m still thrilled and think the effect will linger for quite awhile about the contract!

We are a lot alike….though I love my writing time, I have to take care of the family too…but it is easier now that they are older. And work…I’m in the same boat, but at least I squeeze in my hours in just a couple of days…lol

Glad you came by 🙂

22. myrahmcilvain

January 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’m an introvert that thoroughly enjoys my time alone at my computer working on a story or doing research. I have a wonderful husband who understands my work, so I try to remember to stop, prepare meals, and talk to him. When I come to the end of a project, I make it a point to have friends over for dinner. But, I privately itch to get back to my desk.

January 23, 2012 at 1:43 am

Hi Myra, I like the fact that after you finish a project you have friends over for dinner….nice touch 🙂

Glad you came by 🙂