25 Jan

Welcome to What to Read Wednesday!  Thanks to everyone who keeps coming back…you’re all awesome!  And if you’re here for the first time…glad you found us!

Today I’m excited to share another wonderful author with you.  Please welcome Mandi Casey!  Mandi is going to share a bit about herself and her newest release BIZARRE LIFE OF SYDNEY SEDRICK 🙂  So sit back, grab your favorite snack and beverage and enjoy 🙂

Hi Mandi, thank you for joining us.  So that everyone can get to know you, please share five random things about you the person, not the author.

🙂 Ok let’s see.

1. I’m a total animal person, if they make it to my house, I tend to keep them, despite my husband’s opinion on the matter.

2. I play Frisbee golf as much as possible, the courses are beautiful and fresh air is good. 3. I like to shop when I’m stressed, I’m not sure if that’s random or like every other woman on this planet.

4. I love driving with the seat heaters on, windows down, and music cranked, especially at night.

5. I love my smart phone, I just really wished I knew what all it’s capable of. It leaves me with a blank glossed over stare at times.

LOL…I know that glossed over stare, I get that whenever I’m around electronics 🙂  Television or movies?

Depends. Anything to do with vampires and werewolves and don’t care what type of media it comes on.

Name four things you never leave the house without.

Keys, phone, purse, and sunglasses, the usual everyday necessities.

Have you always wanted to be an author or what made you become an author?

From about the age of ten I knew I wanted to write at least one novel, and when that was finally accomplished, I knew I had to keep going. I love it.

Writing is a true addiction for sure!  Describe your writerly work space.

Pretty much wherever my laptop can go is where I write, I love sitting out on my deck on overcast days (so the glare from the sun on the screen isn’t too blinding) and writing.

I can’t wait for deck weather to return.  There’s nothing like sitting outside to write.  What genre or genres do you write? Do you see yourself trying another one in the future and if so which one?

I typically write paranormal romance/urban fantasy. I’ve thought about writing erotica but I just don’t know if I can pull that off, if I do I’ll probably write under a different name, blush 🙂

Tell us about your newest release?  (and btw, I love the title)

Bizarre Life of Sydney Sedrick is a paranormal romance/urban fantasy novel about a girl who moves back to her hometown to live with her aunt and help her take care of Morning Sun, the family store. She’s bitten by a werewolf and her latent Selected gene is triggered. Vampires, werewolves, and demons come out of the woodwork and want to use her powers, except she never knew what she was before, and she didn’t know about the Others, either. And of course there’s Blake, the heir to the Mid Western Werewolf Pack, with his searing advances and insistence they are to be bonded as life-mates.

When you were writing your story, what character did you connect with the most and why?

Sydney has a lot of my traits, and faults, so her character was pretty easy to write.

Now let’s play LUCKY SEVEN….Pick seven words to describe your book.

This is a fun question, let’s see. 1. Romantic 2. Dark 3. Fast. 4. Startling 5. Hot. 6. Paranormal. 7. Leading

If your book was made into a movie, who would you choose to play the hero?

I would love to have the actor who plays Alcide on True Blood, they definitely casted him well 😉

The heroine?

For the heroine, that’s a tuff one, but I think a black haired Emma Stone from Easy A+ would work out really well.

Emma Stone is a great pick…I’ve loved her in every role she’s been in.  Most authors seem to have a ‘to be read pile’…if you do, what’s on the top of the pile?

Explosive 18 by Janet Evanovich, I love the Stephanie Plum novels and have read every one.

What inspired you to write your latest story?

I can’t really say what one thing inspired me, I just love to write, and learning new ways to craft stories and enhance them is fun to me.

Please share an excerpt of your book!

Ok, here’s a teaser and one of my favorite passages:

Still baffled by her strange behavior, I headed for my bedroom. Unfortunately, sleep proved elusive. Who could sleep in that old house, the branches of the leafless oak tree scratching against the window of my room like a B-rated horror movie? Who knew what was lurking out there in the dark?

I did.

I knew.

And now it knew me.

Great last line 🙂  What’s your current WIP?

I’m finishing my first draft of Betrayal Bites, the 2nd Sydney Sedrick novel.

Do you have any wise words to share with anyone out there on the road to publication?

I read a lot about the craft, so I guess that’s what I would definitely tell new writers: Read, Read; Read! When they say make sure your submissions are without typos or grammatical errors, they mean it, so make sure yours are perfect. I’ll never stop reading and talking with other writers, taking classes ect… I think a great writer is one who knows that there is always more to learn, from talented best selling authors to those who have yet to be published.

And finally Mandi, where can we find you and your book?

Bizarre Life of Sydney Sedrick can be found at:

www.soulmatepublishing.com

www.amazon.com

www.barnesandnoble.com

It’s available in ebook format right now, but will be going to print some time in the fall of 2012.

Congratulations and much success to you Mandi.  Again, I’m glad you dropped by!

Thanks so much for having me Christine, and happy reading and writing to all!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

January 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Hi, Mandi, from one animal lover to another. My Vet says I must sprinkle catnip around outside since I draw every cat from far and wide to my house.

Loved your teaser!

January 26, 2012 at 5:27 am

Hi Jerri, thanks for dropping in! LOL..I think you’re vet sounds awesome 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 5:47 am

Lol, thanks. My husband says I have a look, when that happens, I usually have new puppy running around. Im up to 3 now and a cat 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 7:05 am

Mandi, sounds like it’s time to even things out and add another kitten or two 🙂 lol

2. Tereasa Bellew

January 25, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Hi Mandi,
    I laughed at the comment about seat warmers, so true! Sydney’s journey sounds fabulous! One for the Money and Stephanie Plum hits theaters Friday!
    Happy Sales!
    Tere

January 26, 2012 at 5:27 am

Tere, I laughed at that one too…and the mention of her eyes glazing over when it comes to the function of her phone. Too Funny! Glad you dropped in 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 5:49 am

Hi Tere, I hope they picked a hottie to play Ranger, ahhh 🙂 He’s my fav.

3. Cheryl Yeko

January 26, 2012 at 12:22 am

Hey, Mandi. It’s nice to learn more about you.

I can vouch for the Bizarre Life of Sydney Sedrick. It was a great read, and I’m hoping for sequels!

-Cheryl

January 26, 2012 at 5:28 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I think this sounds like a story my daughter would really get into…she’s a paranormal junkie!

January 26, 2012 at 5:53 am

Thanks Cheryl, I just handed in the sequel to Bizarre Life of Sydney Sedrick last week to SMP, and just started writing chapter 8 of book number 3 so almost halfway done with that rough draft. Lotd of writing happening in Wisconsin 😉

January 26, 2012 at 12:37 am

Love the cover and the title. Great interview and congrats on your release!

January 26, 2012 at 3:02 am

It’s funny how we can see ourselves in our characters. Great meeting you, Mandi.
    I wish you all the success in the world,

January 26, 2012 at 5:29 am

I agree Denice…I notice myself in all my heroines…and sometimes the naughty villain…hehehe

January 26, 2012 at 5:55 am

January 26, 2012 at 6:46 am

Nice meeting you too. They say write what you lnow, or who you know lol. In books 2&3 Sydney’s personality turns brazen and she definitely does and says things (even naughty things 😉 I’d never have the cajones to, I’m really enjoying writing her 🙂

6. Mirriam Smyth

January 26, 2012 at 4:12 am

Cool title! Don’t usually see “Bizarre” for a PNR!

I did have a question though: What the heck is Frisbee golf? Sounds like a ton of fun to play, but I can’t picture what it looks like in my head.

Wishing you great sales on all your books!

January 26, 2012 at 5:31 am

Oh Mirriam, you’ll have to google Frisbee Golf. It’s played outside and there is a green like a golf course, but a lot times there are courses set up in parks. Instead of a green there is a pole most of the times with a target type thingy and that’s what you hit with the frisbee….and most courses have a par like in golf. Anyway, I’ve only played a couple of times…eons ago….but my son is an addict and will even go with friends in the winter. LOL

Thanks for coming by!

January 26, 2012 at 6:00 am

Hi Mirriam, frisbee golf, otherwise known as frawlfing, is a great outdoor activity, most of the courses are free and allow dogs too. You just have to bring your discs, I even have LED discs for night golfing 🙂 thanks so much for stopping by!

January 26, 2012 at 7:06 am

ooohhh…thanks for the tip about LED discs Mandi….something I can get my son when I’m struggling to think of a gift for him 🙂

7. sarahballance

January 26, 2012 at 4:55 am

Not only do I really (really!) want deck weather, but I want to read this book!

January 26, 2012 at 5:32 am

Sarah Ballance Rocks! hehehe….thanks for coming by 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 6:01 am

Thanks, and me too!

January 26, 2012 at 5:13 am

Great interview. And I’m buying this book!
    I also love to put the seat warmer on and crank tunes while I drive.

January 26, 2012 at 5:32 am

Thanks for coming by Brenda…glad you found another book for you list. Please, just know driving and reading…lol

January 26, 2012 at 6:02 am

It’s the only way to go anywhere, thanks for stopping 🙂

9. Ann Montclair

January 26, 2012 at 6:06 am

I really loved this book, and Mandi, you seem like a truly wonderful woman. I wihs you all life’s blessings.

January 26, 2012 at 6:14 am

Thanks Ann, and I wish you the same 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 7:07 am

Hi Ann…glad you stopped by 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 6:40 am

Mandi – I’m an animal magnet as well (I have 5 dogs and a cat), and I adore the Stephanie Plum books, so how could I not love The Bizarre Life of Sydney Sedrick?

Christine – I’m going to have to stop visiting your blog because my TBR list is impossibly long thanks to all of your fabulous guests.

January 26, 2012 at 6:49 am

Thanks so much, Ally! And I do love Christine’s blog and appreciate her taking the time to have me here today. Lots of great posts!

January 26, 2012 at 7:07 am

Thanks ladies…I love having guests…and like you not only has my tbr grown, but my daughters as well….LOVE IT!

11. Casey Wyatt

January 26, 2012 at 7:40 am

Mandi – this is a great interview! Kudos to Christine for her awesome questions!

We love animals at our house too. But since last year (when three of the five passed away), we are down to our two kitties. And I love to write out on my deck too! Having 50 degree weather here in Connecticut was such a tease!

I wish you many sales and great reviews Soul Mate Sister!

January 26, 2012 at 7:54 am

Thanks Casey and you as well!

January 26, 2012 at 10:11 am

Thanks so much Casey happy writing and success to you also 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hi Casey, thanks for coming by…and for the nice compliment on the interview.

12. B.J. Scott

January 26, 2012 at 11:21 am

Great interview and congrat on your book. Wishing you much success and many sales

January 26, 2012 at 11:37 am

Thanks so much for stopped B.J. 🙂 Always happy to see a SMP sister on blog interviews. Best of luck with your writing and success too

January 26, 2012 at 11:38 am

Oops, I meant stopping by, tee hee

January 26, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Happy to see you here BJ…thanks for commenting 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Great interviews ladies! I laughed about the animals you acquire. We had five dogs and hubby just brought another home a few weeks ago. Right now there are 10 dogs on my land. One of those other four I don’t own is prego we just realized… Mama (that would be me) is NOT a happy camper!

Awesome book it sounds like! Interesting blurb and excerpt. Good luck!

January 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hi Calisa….thanks for dropping by! I’d love to have more pets, but hubs is done (for now…hehehehe)

14. Mandi Casey

January 26, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Calisa, I’m not sure I could afford to feed that many dogs, lol, but congrats on your new addition, and the many to come from the sounds of it 🙂

January 26, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hey Ladies, Great interview.

16. Mandi Casey

January 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Thanks for stopping by Callie 🙂

17. Mandi Casey

January 26, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Christine, thank you so much for having me here today. Best wishes for you and your writing projects 🙂
    Mandi

January 26, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Hi Mandi! Thank you for blogging with me today! It was a lot of fun and I wish you much MUCH success with your book and your sequels 🙂

I’d love to have you visit again when your other books release!