28 Jan

This week I was feeling somewhat reflective and thinking a lot about when I was a kid.  Spending time with my family, friends, being outdoors and hanging with friends without a care in the world.

Ahhh, those were the days.  Remember waking up in the summertime, cramming down a quick breakfast so you could head outdoors to spend the whole day with your friends.  We built camps in the woods, took long hikes, went swimming, bicycling for hours, explored creeks and basically did whatever we wanted.  As long as we were back before the street lights went on.  And that in itself was a big deal. 🙂  When we had streetlights put down our little cul-de-sac, it became standard practice for all the parents to say, “Be home when the streetlights go on.”  Lol  No more excuses from us that we didn’t know what time it was.

If it rained it seemed like at least two of us would hang out and play board games…sometimes a game of LIFE or MONOPOLY would last days, we’d just slide the board under the bed to resume tomorrow.

There were times during the summer when I was a kid I don’t even remember coming home to eat lunch.  It was a total time of freedom for sure!  Our neighborhood was small, tight-knit and filled with an abundance of kids all about the same age.  Great times for sure and those great times make for even greater memories.

I know it’s cliché, but times were simpler and I don’t think our parents worried about such things as parents have to worry about today.  There was always a parent home somewhere…if not yours you could borrow one…lol.  Nobody went to daycare or had a babysitter come in.  Or maybe it was just because I grew up somewhat in the country and that street with the 35 or so houses on it was my world.  Everyone looked out for everyone else.

At that time in my life I felt like I could pretty much do or be whatever I wanted.  Life was good and totally carefree from stresses and decisions and…well, being grown up and responsible.  LOL  Sounds kind of good at times doesn’t it?

I remember switching my decision almost daily or weekly on what I wanted to do when I grew up and ventured away from home.  Half excited at the thought and half scared.

There were so many occupations that I thought would be cool and I wanted to try.  Some I think everyone thought about at one time or another, and others…well, not so much.  Doctor, nurse, Rockstar, Motorcycle cop (wonder where that idea came from?  Lol), pilot, movie star, model, beautician, artist, professional bicycle rider, or monopoly player (in my world you could do that…lol), and a writer.  Yep, even then I wanted to write and used to jot down stories about my friends and I, or other characters we thought up.  Later on, this worked to my advantage when I won an essay award in sixth grade as well as a young author’s award where my story was made into a book and placed in the library.  How cool.

Anyway, sorry for veering off topic a bit.  But one profession I always thought would be fun, one I returned to over and over in my young mind, was a teacher.  I think this was due to the fact that I have had some amazing teachers in my life.  My all time favorite teacher was Mr. Wood who taught 5th grade.  Secret here 🙂  He lives not 10 miles from me now and I see into him quite often in the grocery store, where we will chat sometimes until the milk in my cart turns to cottage cheese while we lean on our grocery carts.  He was a huge influence on me.  Love that man 🙂

Anway, there I am digressing again.  I used to play school with friends and sometimes by myself.  Then when I was in school, there were times some of the teachers let us grade papers.  Nothing better than holding that red pencil in your hand and drawing a smiley face on the top when someone got all the answers right.  Lol.

Of course as I grew up, my dreams changed, but there are times I wonder what would’ve happened if I’d followed that path and became a teacher.

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please….

When you were in grade school, what did you want to be when you grew up and why?  Curious to see if anyone followed their dream from when they were a kid to adulthood 🙂

Looking forward to reading your answers 🙂

Posted by on January 28, 2012 in Day to Day Life, Friday Fun Facts

Tags: , , , , , ,

January 28, 2012 at 1:38 am

Those were the days, weren’t they, Christine? I’m going to be posting something similar to this! SISTERS!!! We look alike, we talk alike we even walk and talk alike… Sisters…

Ok- so I don’t know if we look alike but we DO think alike sometimes.. I wanted to be a teacher for a short while as a kid. I remember doing a lot of the things you did, too. But on through middle school I wanted to be a nurse, and I’m not. BUT- in 5th grade I had a male teacher, Mr. Matthews. I remember when he married his lovely fiance. In 5th grade I also wrote a book that was put into the school library. Of course mine wasn’t put into print and I haven’t been able yet to recover that single handwritten copy, but I’m trying to find it. So, like you, I too wanted to be a writer from an early age. THAT I am. 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 2:34 am

The more I learn about you the more amazed I am Calisa…we do have so much in common….love it!

January 28, 2012 at 1:42 am

A Veterinarian. Of course that changed when I found out you had to operate on those poor animals. So then I was going to be a singer! The next Olivia Newton John, Karen Carpenter, Donna Summer’s <- at least that is who I remember my older sisters were listening too. But I always enjoyed reading as a child, and I wanted to be a famous Author, and it is still my dream to this day.
    As far as you becoming a teacher, YOU ARE! Thanks!
    XX,

January 28, 2012 at 2:36 am

Aw, Denice…you are too sweet! Thanks for the kind words.

A Veterinarian..I know several kids that have had that dream too…until they find out the details. LOL Keep writing and you’ll be a famous author…I know it!

January 28, 2012 at 1:54 am

Another great topic to leave a comment on!!

When I was in second or third grade, my teacher, Mrs. Hicks, asked us to draw a picture of what we wanted to be when we grew up. I still have that picture somewhere. I drew myself, complete with pigtails, sitting on a throne, surrounded by sacks of money.

The caption read: I want to be rich!! (I’m still waiting to grow up)

January 28, 2012 at 2:36 am

LOL…I love that! The innocence of childhood eh? And yours was complete with a throne…nicely done Sheri!

January 28, 2012 at 2:23 am

Jockey. LOL. I loved horses but had never ridden on one until much later in life. Didn’t matter. I still wanted to be a jockey. Until my friend’s grandpa told me I was way too big and jockeys were small. I was crushed.

January 28, 2012 at 2:37 am

Oh no..no adult is supposed to crush your dreams. Bad Friend’s Grandpa…lol.

Glad you came by Sharon!

5. Jennifer Lowery~Author

January 28, 2012 at 2:59 am

I didn’t miss FFF this week, yay!! This probably won’t surprise you but I never wanted to be anything but a writer. I was first published in kindergarten with a two three line poem about freckles coming from the sun. My mom saved it for me and I think I still have it in my cedar chest.
    Great post, Christine!

January 28, 2012 at 3:14 am

I love that Jennifer! I was lucky to that my mom saved a lot of my papers and work…and I still have the book I wrote in sixth grade and my essay….amongst other things.

Great to sit down with them and reminisce.

So glad you came by today and shared 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 3:14 am

I wanted to be an Astronaut for a very long time. Now I’m afraid of heights. Growing up sucks!

January 28, 2012 at 3:15 am

LOL…you always make me laugh Jerri!

As for growing up….sometimes it does suck!

January 28, 2012 at 3:34 am

I don’t remember. I had a super close-knit family when I was a kid. We had a family outiffing business, and I think I thought that would be my future. Both of my sisters grew up to run the biz. I still love horses, but I don’t like “dudes”. Not guys, love them, but greenhorns on horses. No thanks!

January 28, 2012 at 3:44 am

Always love your comments D’Ann…glad you dropped in!

January 28, 2012 at 4:19 am

Oh, I want to go back to those days! *sigh* I had 3 things I really wanted to be. I wanted to be a professional horseback rider, ride in the Olympics, I wanted to be an paleontologist. Dinosaurs fascinated me. And I wanted to be a writer. At least I have accomplished one of those goals. Could have gotten into digging up dinosaurs if I went to my cousin’s ranch in South Dakota. Paleontologists dug up one of the most complete T-Rex fossils ever found on his property, Sue the T-Rex. There was a huge custody battle over her because she was found on reservation land, so she was claimed by my cousin, the federal government, the Sioux tribe and the people who dug her up. My cousin won. 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 4:57 am

Wow…great story about Sue the T-Rex! Interesting career choices Ceri….glad you met your goal on one of them. The Write one…hahahaha!

Glad you came by 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 5:06 am

I LOVED summer as a kid. Like you, we lived in a tight-knit neighborhood with lots of kids. We would hunt for snakes, build forts, put on pretend horse shows with our stick horses, ride our bikes everywhere, play kick the can…those were fun times. And summer seemed to last forever–and I never got bored.

What I wanted to be back then when I grew up was a vet–I still wish I followed that dream. I think I would have been a great one. I have a way with animals–I get along with them better than some people, lol. But sadly, I didn’t follow that dream.

I also would have loved to be a teacher. I do think I would have been a good one. I can relate to kids and teens pretty well–I think that’s because I like a lot of the things they do–and I remember what it was like being their age.

January 28, 2012 at 5:20 am

Loved your comment Brenda…you made me go back in time a bit more…..kick the can….kickball….building forts….loved those days! I also remember when I was about 12 or 13 my sister and the 2 neighbor girls would laze out on the trampoline and take turns reading passages from romance books…lol..that must’ve been the beginning factor in my wanting to write love stories 🙂

10. Nikki Barrett

January 28, 2012 at 5:37 am

Mine varied quite a bit as well. Though I knew at a young age I enjoyed writing. I even finished an eight page kids book by the time I was in fifth grade. Word got around and I got asked about it a lot lol. I also wanted to be a teacher. I even went to college for awhile majoring in education but I had bouts of depression and things going on personally that led me to leave school.

I miss those days where you knew your neighbors. I moved a lot, but there was a particular street and neighborhood that stays in mind. We had plenty of things to do, and plenty of friends on that street. The woman next door was the neighborhood grandmother and we spent a lot of time over there. In fact, I’m still in touch with her and we’re going to be visiting my hometown next month, so we’ll be stopping by to say hi to her.

January 28, 2012 at 7:36 am

Love your story Nikki…great that you stayed in touch with the neighbor lady. My parents lived in that same neighborhood until the passed away, and to this day we still keep in touch with certain neighbors and even some of the kids we grew up with. Kind of cool!

11. Tory Michaels (@ToryMichaels)

January 28, 2012 at 5:44 am

I totally get the “it was freer back then” sentiment. I remember biking all over our neighborhood before I was eight (I only can pinpoint it specifically because we moved from the town I remember doing it in between third & fourth grades), including this woodsy area where Marty and I were convinced we would find a secret passage to Oz. No cracks, peeps.

i really don’t remember much from that far back as to my ambitions, but I know the writing bug was coming on pretty early. I always came back to it. For a while, but it was during/after high school, I wanted to be a teacher (I can go back 4 generations with teachers in each one in my family), but then I got over it.

January 28, 2012 at 7:39 am

Love your story Tory…the adventure and imagination of a kids. Cool about the history of teachers in your family.

Glad you dropped in Tory!

January 28, 2012 at 7:26 am

I’m another one of those who wanted to be a veterinarian — until algebra and the realization that I would be the one to decide whether an animal lived or died put an end to that.

January 28, 2012 at 7:37 am

I think veterinarian is one of those jobs almost everyone thinks about…but there’s so much more to it than most realize. Like you, I wouldn’t be able to make that decision regarding a furry friend. 😦

13. Tabitha

January 28, 2012 at 8:36 am

From the time I was very young and all through my teenage years I wanted to be a Veterinarian. But I actually got married and had kids. The dream still nagged at me so I went and became a Vet Tech which was the next best thing. I loved my job until I hurt my back and that dream came crashing down. I never thought I could be a writer even though all through school I was praised by teacher after teacher about everything I wrote. Then my hubby told me one day that I should write a book. I laughed. But it kept popping into my head. And all the things my teachers told me came flooding back. That’s when I decided to take the plunge and do it. Sometimes our first choice isn’t meant to be but it doesn’t mean we have to settle. I love writing and couldn’t imagine doing anything else.

January 28, 2012 at 9:21 am

Great story…and wonderful words. Things happen for a reason and usually lead you in the direction your meant to go in 🙂

Thanks for commenting Tabitha 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 9:43 am

I wanted to be so many things – firefighter, Miss America…you name it. I *did* force my best friends (summer before 4th grade) to play Author with me. Every day. We sat down just after lunch and wrote for an hour or so and then compared what we’d written. I think that was my first critique group!

15. Zee Monodee

January 28, 2012 at 7:39 pm

When I was a kid, I wanted to *gasp* be an accountant 🙂 I idolized my older brother, who was already out and about and working as a certified accountant. Took a few accounting classes in secondary school to know numbers and me don’t mesh at all! 🙂

I also wanted to be a nurse, to walk in my father’s footsteps. But I couldn’t stand the smell of alcohol and ether without feeling faint, so there went that dream.

And I wanted to be a storyteller… That one did work out 🙂 I was always the one inventing the scenarios for doll parties and other make-believe play times. Like you, I grew up ‘wild’ and free – we lived in a huge courtyard not unlike a keep, with relatives all around (the land had belonged to my paternal grandfather, who left a plot side by side for all his sons (he had 6). My dad was the youngest, and by the time he was born, his older brothers were becoming fathers already. So his nephews and nieces were his peers – same thing happened to me, with my cousins’ kids as old as I am. During summer breaks or weekends, those kids would come to their grandparents’ place, and we’d have like 20-30 kids out everyday. Those were the days… 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Your childhood sounds fun too! Love the big family….there’s nothing like always having someone there to play with 🙂

Thanks for coming by Zee and sharing your memories 🙂

16. myrahmcilvain

January 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Sounds like a wonderful childhood. I planned to be a great ballerina. I danced daily with an older girl who actually had a dance studio when she grew up. I think dancing so faithfully with Mary Jo taught me a discipline that I’ve carried all my life. Wish I could thank her now.

February 2, 2012 at 12:41 am

My mother had my sister and i take ballet, but we didn’t appreciate it like we should’ve….we were more concerned about watching Saturday morning cartoons then playing outside. LOL

17. Mirriam Smyth

January 29, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I wanted to be a firefighter. Then I realized I liked to set things on fire, not put them out, so that 86’d that idea. Then I wanted to be in the Army, like my dad had been. Then I injured my knee and hip when I was 15, and the injury was enough that I couldn’t pass a physical to be considered for the military. Ah well.

🙂 People used to say my dream careers were for boys. While one thing or another kept me from achieving either goal, I’m proud to say I never saw (and still don’t) either career as gender biased. I’m proud of the women that battle fire with their male counterparts, and extremely proud of the women that serve our country.

Christine, there’s a nice surprise waiting for you on my blog. Hope you like it! http://mirriamsmyth.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/liebster-blog-award/

18. ChristineWarner

February 2, 2012 at 12:42 am

Mirriam, I’m with you….anyone can do any type of job they want and desire!

Loved my surprise! Thank you so much Mirriam for thinking of me….xoxox