03 Feb

So this week was productive.  I worked on my story and got a lot accomplished and I love how it’s finishing up.  I have about 15,000 words left to write, give or take a few thousand…lol, but I’m not sweating it. 🙂

I have an odd method to writing…well, maybe not so odd because I’ve heard others talk about working the same way too.  I find that I’ll finish a scene and before I can start on the next I like to play it out in my mind.  For me, I can do that easier when I’m up moving around.  So what ends up happening throughout a writing day, is I get up often and do a few household tasks while I’m working out the dialogue and what I want to accomplish in the next scene.  I’ll do dishes, fold some laundry, meal prep, vacuum, play ball with the dog…you know the drill.

Well this week I went a bit deeper.  I went for the forbidden, dreaded…TUPPERWARE CUPBOARD.  Funny thing was while I was pulling plastic from the recesses of the endless Tupperware hole, I found a few older pieces I hadn’t seen in quite awhile.  One I had snagged up at a thrift store.  A huge old bowl that I thought would be perfect for assorted salads and such.  When I bought it, someone had taken their handy, dandy permanent black marker and wrote their name on the bottom.  A very common thing.  I didn’t care though because I have a secret that removes it.  Take one of those Mr. Clean Magic erasers and erase the evidence.  Whoever named it Magic Erase knew what they were talking about…that little weird spongy thing is magical!

Afterward I reassembled that cupboard into an organizational masterpiece of plastic bliss! 🙂 🙂 🙂

All of that got me to thinking about other little household tidbits.  For instance, did you know that if you have a piece of Tupperware which has an odor that won’t die…maybe you, or SOMEONE stored something in it like…oh, I don’t know….like FISH, potpourri or onions :)….take a damp piece of newspaper, put it in the container and seal it tight.  Let it sit for 24 hours and the carbon in the ink will remove the smell.  Cool huh?

Of course this led me to thoughts of my mom and dad and some of the things that they did while I was growing up that I just assumed everyone did.  Have you ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding, where the bride’s dad believed Windex solved everything from pimples to cold sores to arthritis…if memory serves me right…lol.  Well, my dad wasn’t quite that delirious, but he had a home remedy liquid of his own…yes it came in a bottle, but I’m not talking anything with a percentage and proof behind it…lol…He was a firm believer if the powers of Vinegar!  He would use it to clean windows, polish car chrome, remove tea or coffee stains from china.  Oh the possibilities of that strong smelling, sometimes amber colored liquid.

I remember him unclogging the sink by pouring a handful of baking soda down the drain and then following it with a vinegar chaser (1/2 cup) and rinsing with hot water.  Actually, combining water in vinegar in a spray bottle worked as an inexpensive way to clean showers, tubs, sinks and the fridge…making them all smell beyond clean.   I still can’t figure out how something that doesn’t smell that great, can be used to clean something and make it smell fresh.  Actually, taking odor away.  Hmm…..

My mom bought a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and she’d always fill the sink with warm water and add salt and vinegar to clean them.  She’d soak them in the water for a few minutes and if there were any bugs in them, they’d float to surface.  Gross, but at the same time, kinda cool 🙂

One more vinegar use before I drop the subject (I’m just so excited I guess…lol).  When we were kids we were all notorious for not listening…go figure.  Though we were reminded about a gazillion times not to place our drinking glasses on wood surfaces, we always seemed to conveniently forget.  Anyway, one of those lovely rings would appear (and I’m not talking a diamond ring either or I’d be leaving glasses on every wood surface available…hehehe).  Well, my dad would mix equal parts distilled vinegar and olive oil, wipe it along the grain of the wood then polish…fixed those nasty rings right up.

Anyway, there were a gazillion little things my parents used vinegar for…far more than I’ll list here.  Seems like we always had an industrial sized bottled of vinegar in the cupboard…lol

Funny how sometimes simple little tasks can take us back in time.  From my Tupperware cupboard, to my parents love affair with vinegar and then finally to all those other little pieces of advice that I got while growing up that were never really spoken, but observed.  Some newly discovered and some passed down from generation to generation…some probably even forgotten.

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please….

What”s an off the wall piece of advice you were given, or just grew up with and accepted as the norm that your family did or you still do?  It can involve a cleaning remedy or a household tip for preparing foods, laundry or whatever.

Looking forward to reading your answers

Posted by on February 3, 2012 in Day to Day Life, Friday Fun Facts

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. sarahballance

February 4, 2012 at 12:44 am

Girl, I am a HUGE believer in vinegar! I use it for everything but the toilet and the shower (and that’s because we have a well and the water tends to stain those orange, so I use The Works because it turns them instantly white again). Vinegar is perfect for cleaning hard floors, too. I use it in the kitchen almost every day.

To answer your question, I’m not sure if I can think of anything off the wall! I think I’m more off the wall than any previous generations, LOL.

February 4, 2012 at 1:45 am

LOL….you are off the wall…but that’s what I like about you 🙂

The WORKS..love that stuff…almost as much as vinegar. We have hard water too…and I think that means it’s water that makes me work harder…hahaha!

Thanks for visiting Sarah.

2. Jerrie Alexander

February 4, 2012 at 1:01 am

Thanks for shaking loose a ton of old memories! Good ones. Looks like vinegar wins hands down! My mother even cleaned her glasses with it. So it probably doesn’t qualify as off the wall, but I still use it on mirrors and my glass top coffee table.

February 4, 2012 at 1:47 am

Oh yeah, we cleaned mirrors and windows with it too. Funny how well that stuff works. Glad you came by and glad I shook loose those memories 🙂

February 4, 2012 at 1:56 am

Vinegar takes the burn out of sunburn… You want to lotion up immediately after or it will also promote drying and peeling.

I’m a vinegar and Windex fanatic. 🙂 Also, WD-40- have you read what that sickly sweet concoction can do? wd-40.com go there. What I learned years ago is that hair spray isn’t just for setting hair. Ink on a fabric bag, canvas, soak in hair spray and gently scrub the ink away. It doesn’t work on all fabric-type surfaces though.

Fun post today Christine. 🙂

February 4, 2012 at 3:12 am

Great tip about ink on fabric…and I’ll have to check out the WD site….love it. Thanks for dropping in Calisa 🙂

February 4, 2012 at 3:34 am

I use vinegar to mop the tile floors. My dogs like to lay on them to cool off, and the chemical cleaners aren’t good for them. I add a 5-10 drops of pine or lemon essential oils to the bucket so the house smells fresh and clean.

To be honest, I’m not much of housekeeper, but I do love my Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It really works well to take rub marks and door dings off the car. I once almost backed into a light post and scraped the side of my car. Luckily there were no dents or damage to the paint, and the Magic Eraser took the paint that transfered from the light post right off – I never even told my husband what happened!

February 4, 2012 at 5:20 am

Ally, I love your magic erase story! I love that little spongy thing too and am constantly coming up with ways to use it!

February 4, 2012 at 3:41 am

Right this moment, my mind is blank. My family is odd, so there’s bound to be something! LOL I’ll have to think and come back.

February 4, 2012 at 5:21 am

oohhh..I can’t wait to hear what you come up with! It’s all those older remedies that work the best!

Glad you dropped by!

6. bridgetstraub

February 4, 2012 at 4:14 am

I can’t think of anything either but I sure have just learved a lot about the power of vinegar! thanks.

February 4, 2012 at 5:25 am

Vinegar is magic for sure. I bet there is a site devoted to it, like the one Calisa mentioned for WD 40 🙂 lol I’m going to look into that 🙂

Glad you came by!

February 4, 2012 at 4:25 am

Ah, my favorite time of the week–I just love your blog.
    Hey you and I are the same. When I’m trying to work something out in my writing I always get up and do some housework. Guess the physical activity gets the blood flowing to my brain.

As for old household remedies, I can’t really think of any off hand.

February 4, 2012 at 5:26 am

hehehe…so happy you are like me in that you have to do some housework to get scenes set in your mind…there’s a lot of us from what I’ve heard.

And I’m also glad you look forward to my blogs Brenda…that means a lot 🙂 Thanks!!!!

8. Jennifer Lowery~Author

February 4, 2012 at 4:32 am

You’re probably going to laugh, but my mom always made us wash our feet before going to bed! No matter what, our feet had to be washed and to this day I don’t feel clean unless my feet are washed. Love my mom!
    Great post, Christine!

February 4, 2012 at 5:27 am

Thanks Jennifer…love that story…and I can so understand where you are coming from. Once you have that habit ingrained in you, it’s hard to deviate! Thanks for coming by!

February 4, 2012 at 7:07 am

I’m going to have to try these vinegar suggestions!

February 4, 2012 at 7:51 am

It’s hard to believe all the things you can do with it 🙂 Glad you dropped in Sharon 🙂

10. Joanna Aislinn

February 5, 2012 at 6:14 am

I loved the suggestion about vinegar and olive oil to remove water-rings on furniture–and the newspaper in the plastic container trick. My mom was big on using newspaper and a vinegar-water solution to clean windows.

Great post, Christine. The occupational therapist in me loves its functional application!

Thanks!

February 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Hi Joanna…thanks for coming by…glad you got a few useful tips! I liked what other shared too…..I learned a few more things about vinegar for sure 🙂

11. Bryna

February 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm

My family’s home remedy is a little more conventional. Got a sore throat? Whiskey, honey and lemon juice – heated. Headache? Tylenol — followed by whiskey, honey and lemon juice. Toothache? You got it. The only really odd thing about this is that my parents got this prescription from our pediatrician.

You should write a book about about unusual family advice or remedies that work.