10 – 4 Tuesday

07 Feb

Welcome to 10 – 4 Tuesday!  This is a forum where I’ll feature either an author or someone in a position related to publishing, promoting or a service that is author related.  I will only be offering this forum on occasion, and if anyone wants to participate, email me to set up a date  🙂

For 10 – 4 Tuesday I will ask our guest 10 questions about themselves and their service or book and then 4 questions for fun 🙂  So let’s get started.

Today I’d like to introduce you to Ally Broadfield.  Ally is an author as well as a proofreader.

Hi Ally, Thanks for joining us for 10 – 4  Tuesday 🙂

Hi Christine! Thanks so much for having me here today.

First the 10:

To start out, tell us a bit about yourself.

I’ve worked in marketing, recruiting, and as a librarian. I’ve always been an avid reader and started writing with an eye toward publication about four years ago. I currently live in Texas with my husband, three children and a menagerie of animals. When I say menagerie, I really mean it. We have five dogs, a cat, a rabbit, a parrot, a hedgehog, four lizards, two snakes, and several fish. I also have a horse, but he doesn’t live with us.

Wow, you’re a busy lady.  As well as being the owner of a proofreading business, you stated you’re an author.  What types of books do you write?

I write historical romance set in Regency England and in Imperial Russia during the early 19th century. I have several things on submission and hope to have some good news to share soon.

I always enjoy the tidbits you share about Russia and history in general on your blog.  Share with us what exactly your proofreading services consist of.

First I’d like to share a secret. When writers proofread their own work, it’s not unusual for them to overlook errors because their mind knows how the text should read and automatically corrects it. Whether you’re polishing your manuscript for a contest, preparing to submit to an agent or editor, or planning to self-publish, having another set of eyes to help catch grammatical and typographical errors can prove invaluable. I always have someone else proofread my work for me, because I even have difficulty detecting errors in my work.

Proofreading is limited to checking for correctness and focuses on grammar, punctuation, syntax, and typographical and spelling errors. I proofread manuscripts specifically for errors in grammar like capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, spelling, typographical errors, verb tense and subject-verb agreement. I also read for correct comma usage, misplaced modifiers, homonym errors, correct use of plural and possessive forms, punctuation of dialogue, run-on sentences, and correct use of question marks and exclamation points.

Do you offer any other services geared toward authors?  Such as teaching classes on grammar or editing?

This year I’m teaching a craft class on Incorporating Humor into Writing, and I’m also teaching a class about How to the Make the Most of Online Research. I do have a class in the works on Tips & Techniques for More Effective Proofreading and should have some dates posted on my website soon.

How did you become interested in proofreading?

I’ve always been a stickler for correct grammar. When my children say something incorrectly, I tell them they’re hurting my ears, because to me, an incorrect word sounds like someone playing the wrong musical note.  Back in the dark ages when I took the SAT, there was a section called “Test of Standard Written English.” I received a perfect score on that section of the test, which came with the added bonus of exempting me from having to take any English requirements in college (although I took English classes anyway because I liked them so much!). I started proofreading essays for my friends during college and things continued from there.

What was the deciding factor in offering your services to others?

I was laid-off from my job as a school librarian about a year and a half ago, and since I’m still pursuing traditional publication, I started thinking about things I could do to bring in some income while still having time to write. Offering low-cost proofreading services to fellow writers seemed like a natural choice.

Do you proof complete manuscripts, chapters?  Do you also proofread for others besides authors?

My services start with reading as few as 3,500 words, and go all the way up to full manuscripts. I am open to proofreading for non-author clients, but I haven’t had any yet.

Do you have a website, or how can we get a hold of you to use your proofreading skills?

My website is http://allybroadfield.com/, and this direct link to the page for my Proofreading Services.

What is the price range for what you offer?

Short Contest Entry/Query Submission (up to 3,500 words): $25
Contest Entry (up to 12,000 words): $50
Short Story (up to 20,000 words): $75
Novella (up to 40,000 words): $125
Novel (up to 80,000 words): $200
Novel (up to 110,000 words): $250

I also offer a free proofread of the first three pages for interested clients, and I offer discounts for pre-published authors and returning clients.

For those who can’t afford to have a full manuscript read, I highly recommend trying a partial read. Though you won’t get your entire manuscript corrected, a partial read of at least 3,500 words will help you identify recurring errors such as comma splices, misplaced modifiers, and incorrect punctuation of dialogue, just to name a few.

Do you have a typical time frame that a writer can expect to receive their copy back?

Whenever possible, I work with my clients to return their copy according to their timeframe. I once proofed a 115,000 word manuscript in a week, but the longest I’ve ever taken was three weeks for a submission of that length.

That’s a quick turn-around Ally 🙂  Now the 4:

If you ruled your own country, what would be the first law you’d put into effect?

Too…much…pressure. Okay. Putting aside noble ideas like peace and prosperity for all, I would add two hours to each day so everyone would have time to read for pleasure.

Now I love that.  I could use two hours extra in each day for reading 🙂  Share your favorite quote (or if you don’t have one…feel free to make one up)

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.”  -Ambrose Redmoon

Using these 5 words, spin us a sentence:  Bikini Kiss Chocolate Moon Caress

With my bikini briefs and cellulite safely hidden under my jeans, I stuffed my face with chocolate under the light of a full moon while pretending I was being kissed and caressed by David Beckham.

LOL…great sentence Ally 🙂  What are the top 3 items on your bucket list?

Have a book published with one of the Big Six.

See all three of my kids happily married (far, far into the future!).

Visit every continent.

Thanks again for visiting with us Ally!  And for being a good sport 🙂  So excited you joined me for 10 – 4 Tuesday!  Before we wave good-bye, let us know if there are any other links you’d like to share so that we can find you online 🙂

Just in case you missed it, my website is: http://allybroadfield.com/

I can also be found on Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks so much for having me today, Christine! It’s always a pleasure to visit your blog, and it’s even more exciting to be featured. 🙂

Posted by on February 7, 2012 in 10 - 4 Tuesday, On Writing

Tags: , , , , , , ,

61 responses to “10 – 4 Tuesday

1. Tory Michaels

February 7, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Nice interview. The world needs more proofreaders!

February 8, 2012 at 1:33 am

Thanks, Tory! I would love for there to be more grammar geeks…err…proofreaders around.

February 8, 2012 at 2:01 am

You’re lucky Ally that it comes so easily to you….wish it did for me 🙂

Tory, glad to see you…thanks for dropping in.

2. Lia Davis

February 8, 2012 at 12:09 am

Wonderful interview! And good luck on your submission.

February 8, 2012 at 1:34 am

Thanks, Lia. I’ve had my fingers crossed for a long time so I’m hoping to hear something soon!

February 8, 2012 at 2:01 am

Hi Lia, glad you liked the interview…appreciate you popping in!

February 8, 2012 at 12:13 am

Loved the interview, ladies.

February 8, 2012 at 1:35 am

Thanks for stopping in, Jerri. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

4. Nancy LaPonzina

February 8, 2012 at 12:22 am

Loved the creative sentence! I’m such a sucker for wordplay like that … it really makes me smile. 🙂 Terrific interview! Ally, your rates are quite reasonable, I was happy to hear more about your proofreading services!

February 8, 2012 at 1:39 am

So glad you liked the sentence, Nancy. I always think of David Beckham when someone mentions “kiss” or “caress.”

I do try to keep my rates low. As an aspiring author myself, I know how tight the budget can be.

February 8, 2012 at 2:02 am

lol…I loved her sentence too! Nicely done.

Thanks for coming by Nancy 🙂

February 8, 2012 at 1:41 am

Very interesting, Ally. Misplaced modifiers, comma splices, and incorrect punctuation, oh my! I get a headache just hearing those terms.

Great interview ladies, and Ally, your services sound spot on for writers.

February 8, 2012 at 2:03 am

Thanks for coming by Callie!

February 8, 2012 at 2:20 am

It does sound a bit scary when you put it that way! Thanks for stopping by, Callie!

6. Cynthia Woolf

February 8, 2012 at 3:02 am

Nice Interview. I’d say for it being your first that you nailed it.

Cynthia Woolf Blog

February 8, 2012 at 3:14 am

Great interview. I love the line about wrong grammar being like a wrong musical note. I cringe whenever I hear someone say them instead of those.
    Anyway, your prices sound really reasonable, and I may look you up one of these days soon.

February 8, 2012 at 3:37 am

I know just what you mean about the cringe. Unfortunately, I can’t ignore adults with bad grammar like I do my kids. Thanks for stopping by, D’Ann.

February 8, 2012 at 4:59 am

Unfortunately I cringe a lot too, but have to admit some of it is at my own grammar. Habits die hard 🙂 Glad you dropped in D’Ann.

February 8, 2012 at 3:25 am

I’m forever correcting my kids’ grammar. But it’s hard when advertising does it. Thank you for telling us about your services!

February 8, 2012 at 3:40 am

I know just what you mean. My middle child constantly points out incorrect use of grammar in advertising and on TV shows to justify his own. Thanks for visiting today, Sheri.

February 8, 2012 at 4:59 am

Sheri, so glad you came by and commented today 🙂 And so true about advertising…not only grammar, but spelling.

9. ellaquinnauthor

February 8, 2012 at 3:27 am

Great interview, Ally. I can attest to Ally’s proofreading. She does my books.

February 8, 2012 at 3:44 am

Ella, you’re my favorite client right now. Even though it had everything to do with your storytelling abilities and nothing to do with my proofreading, I’m still so proud that you landed an agent. Thanks for stopping by!

February 8, 2012 at 5:00 am

Hi Ella, nice to hear a testimonial. And huge congrats on an agent!

11. angelyn

February 8, 2012 at 3:47 am

Oh–yes! David Beckham. Men’s underwear never looked so good.

February 8, 2012 at 4:09 am

Angelyn-I was lucky enough to see the building-sized posters of him while visiting Toronto and London (though neither lasted through the entire trip). I’ve always wondered what the people who steal them do with them. Wallpaper the entire house? Hmmm…

12. Clover Autrey

February 8, 2012 at 3:57 am

It’s nice to get to know more about you, Ally.

February 8, 2012 at 4:10 am

Thanks for coming by, Clover. Congrats on finaling in the Great Expectations contest!

13. Tess

February 8, 2012 at 3:57 am

Great Interview…Beck-dham as I call him…who could resist?

February 8, 2012 at 4:11 am

Exactly. Thanks for coming by, Tess!

February 8, 2012 at 5:01 am

Love what you call Beck-dham…nice! Thanks for dropping in Tess 🙂

14. Jennifer Lowery~Authorj

February 8, 2012 at 3:58 am

I never see the mistakes in my own work even though they are glaringly obvious, lol! Great interview, ladies!

February 8, 2012 at 4:14 am

I have the same problem (embarassing!). I usually catch most of them by reading my manuscripts out loud. Yes, it takes forever and my family does think I’m crazy, but that’s nothing new. Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer!

February 8, 2012 at 5:02 am

Hi Jennifer…I think everyone is guilty of that. So hard to see in your own work because you know the story and don’t seem to look at your words with totally open eyes.

Glad you dropped in!

February 8, 2012 at 4:38 am

Ally I bet you meet a lot of people and read interesting books this way! How cool!

February 8, 2012 at 5:03 am

Good point Denice! So happy you came by today 🙂 Thanks.

February 8, 2012 at 5:31 am

You’re right, Neecy, I do. I really enjoy meeting people and reading their stories. I probably shouldn’t admit this, but sometimes I get so caught up in a story I forget to proofread and have to go back and do it again.

February 8, 2012 at 5:05 am

I discovered right away that an editor’s job is really not that much different than a proofreader–having been the one and being an editor currently. Either one requires paying attention to detail. This is a great and fun interview, Ally!

February 8, 2012 at 5:32 am

Thanks, Calisa. Christine gave me some fabulous questions to answer and made it so easy!

February 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

It was fun getting to know more about Ally….glad you enjoyed the interview Calisa!

17. Marsha R. West

February 8, 2012 at 7:45 am

Loved your interview, Ally. This will date me, but in the old days of record players and the needle screeched–that’s what it sounds like when I hear “sit” for “set” or “ir-regardless,” to name only two. I am constinually amazed by what I let slip by in my own writing and I loved your explanation. It’s my brain’s fault. Yes, I can get behind that. I’ll definitely keep you and your services in mind, particularly if I self-publish with your very reasonable prices. Good luck with your submissions.

February 8, 2012 at 8:32 am

Thanks, Marsha! I’m old enough to remember record players, too. That’s a great comparison.

February 8, 2012 at 10:48 am

Love your comparison Marsha! So glad you came by and commented.

18. Carole st-Laurent

February 8, 2012 at 10:17 am

Great interview, Ally. I didn’t think proofreading was in my budget but it’s manageable. I like you idea of having a minimum of 3500 words and then look myself for some repeating mistakes. Since English is not my first language, I’m very aware of grammar. Still, I make mistakes! A lot! lol

February 8, 2012 at 10:44 am

Thanks, Carole. I have some clients who hate grammar and don’t want to be bothered with it so they hire me to fix everything for them, but others have benefitted from having a portion of their work read so they could discover what their weaknesses are and learn to correct them on their own. Thanks for coming by!

February 8, 2012 at 10:50 am

Love that you can do a partial as well and hopefully learn and pick up tips….but it’s also nice to know you can have your entire ms proofed for such a fair price!
        Thanks for coming by Carole 🙂

19. Cera duBois

February 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Great interview ladies!!

February 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it, Cera. Thanks for stopping by!

February 8, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Hi Cera, thanks for coming by!

February 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Now this is an awesome post!!!
    Wow, what fair prices, Ally.

February 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Thanks so much, Brenda. Glad you could come by. I try to keep my prices low so they’re accessible to more writers.

February 8, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Glad you dropped in Brenda! I agree, Ally’s prices are very fair, which is wonderful for us starving artist types 🙂 lol

February 8, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I would love to attend the class on making the most of online research! That is right up my alley!

February 8, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Hi Sharon. I’d love to have you in the online research class. I’m teaching it in May through the Passionate Ink Chapter of RWA and in September through the Hearts Through History Romance Writers. Thanks for stopping by!

February 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Hi Sharon, glad you came by! I’m considering a class myself…there is always something new to learn regarding our writing!

22. ChristineWarner

February 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Thank you to everyone who stopped by today and a HUGE thank you to Ally for sharing so much with us today. I loved having you guest and wish you much success with your business and your writing!

23. myrahmcilvainMy

February 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm

This is a very helpful interview. Thanks for doing it. I contacted Ally last night re my recently completed historical fiction. Hoping I can afford her services.

February 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Thanks for stopping by Myra! So glad that you contacted Ally…she’s a gem!