10 Feb

I can’t believe we’re already in the month of February, and Valentine’s Day is right around the corner.  Is it just me, or does time seem to fly from one holiday to the next?

Being that I write romance, of course this time of year is extra mushy!  And I like mush all year long.  But February 14th always holds a special spot in my heart 🙂  I have many fond memories of years past.

All the jewelry stores are running commercials featuring gorgeous diamond necklaces and earrings, and special ruby heart rings.  Candy stores have all their finest on display, flower shops are gearing up and I’ve even noticed several clothing stores getting in on the action.

And of course the romantic movies out at theaters and on television.  Swoon…nothing like a romance.  A beautiful story of a couple falling in love and that first magical encounter, when their gazes meet across the room and all else falls away until there is just the two of them.  They cross the room, talk, get to know each other, the chemistry undeniable.  And then…the kiss.

The first kiss.

My stomach gets all squirmy at the thought of the first kiss.  That moment of anticipation as their lips move closer, their breath mingles, eyes close, lips touch in a soft caress before excitement totally overtakes them and their mouths crush together.  A soft moan, pounding hearts, nervous flutters and oh the romance!

Love.  It.

Must be why I love reading and writing romance so much 🙂  Espeically that first kiss scene.  There are so many types of kisses—the hand kiss, the social kiss, the friendship kiss, the goodnight kiss, the parent-to-child kiss, but nothing beats the romantic kiss…the first kiss!!!

Now I confess, I’m getting a bit personal here, so if you want to look away, now’s the time.  Lol  My true first kiss wasn’t an adult first kiss.  Not the building of excitement and anticipation and expectations.  Not really a romantic kiss, but at the time we probably both thought it was.  We were in the fifth grade and an item until he moved to California during the summer before sixth grade.  That was the end of our love affair and our one and only quick peck on the lips kiss.  I can laugh now, but at the time it was a big deal.

Since then I’ve had some awesome first kisses and some not so awesome first kisses…all memorable but nothing quite as memorable as that true first kiss.

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please….

Was your first kiss something truly spine-tingling, or innocent and quick like mine?  Were you taken off guard and tossed into the throes of passion, or did you feel a bit awkward and nervous?  Were you an innocent tween like me, thinking you were more grown up than you were, or a high schooler that did know it all…lol, or did you save that first kiss until you truly were more mature?

Looking forward to reading your answers 🙂

Posted by on February 10, 2012 in Friday Fun Facts

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Tory Michaels

February 10, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Hmm, first kiss. I’ll skip over my actual first kiss and just say that the first one with hubby was awesome. I love that man.

February 10, 2012 at 11:58 pm

lol…playing it safe!

Thanks for coming by Tory!

2. Jennifer Lowery~Authorj

February 10, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Wonderful post, Christine! I don’t think anyone forgets their first kiss. Mine was amazing. I was 15 (yeah, parents wouldn’t let me date till then) and it was on the doorstep after my first supervised date with this really super nice boyfriend—he was my first and we dated for a long time. He was six foot tall, good looking and sweet, and I remember wanting him to kiss me so bad and he did! I remember the weakness in my knees, the tingling in my belly. I never wanted it to end. Thanks for taking me back there today! And just in time because today I’m writing my first kiss scene in my WIP 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 12:00 am

What a great warm up for writing your kiss scene!

I didn’t date until my teens either, but managed to still sneak in a first kiss before I then…hehehehe.

Glad you enjoyed the post!

3. Tereasa Bellew

February 10, 2012 at 11:52 pm

The summer of sixth grade, my friend and I were hanging around the school and my boyfreind (who lived a few houses down) came over with his basketball. Before leaving, he gave me a quick peck and hurried home. So, I did the Mary Tyler Moore spin and yelled, totally forgetting he had a younger brother, who just happened to be in the backyard and heard me. Duh!
    Funny post, Christine. : )

February 11, 2012 at 12:01 am

LOL…love it! I’m picturing the MTM spin….great reaction. I love that innocence!

Thanks for coming by to share 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 12:09 am

I’m sorry to say my first kiss was kind of meh. I can’t remember how old I was but we were playing spin the bottle. He was not the boy who I wanted to kiss.

Now the first kiss with my first serious boyfriend was much much better. Maybe it was because there was so much anticipation. We knew each other, liked each other for a few months before he finally kissed me. I was sixteen (late bloomer) and we were both very shy. The kiss was worth the wait!

February 11, 2012 at 12:14 am

Love it Ceri…sounds romantic. I think that anticipation is what makes that first kiss so special 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

5. Lia Davis

February 11, 2012 at 12:16 am

My first kiss was when I was 15. It wasn’t anything to write home about. 🙂 I was nervous and the guy turned out to be a jerk. Now my hubby was a different story. And the sparks are still there. 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 1:07 am

I think most first kisses are a bit anti-climatic….it’s all a warm up for that special one!

Thanks for coming by Lia 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 12:44 am

First kiss was with a cutie by the name of Dave. I was so nervous. It was right before my 16th birthday. He broke my heart but I got over it quickly.

February 11, 2012 at 1:08 am

Love it Jerri…glad you got over the heartbreak quickly! It’s amazing how you can do that at 16….lol

February 11, 2012 at 1:05 am

Okay, I guess I’m the odd man out. Don’t remember my first kiss, don’t even remember my first kiss from dh. Hmmm. BUT–I LOVE writing about ‘the first kiss.’ Maybe that’s why–cause I can’t remember mine, lol.

Good post, Christine.

February 11, 2012 at 1:09 am

Thanks Callie! I can’t believe you don’t remember your first kiss! lol You are too funny!

February 11, 2012 at 1:43 am

Hm My first kiss doesn’t register. Could be because I was just five year old, in Kindergarten. I don’t even remember which twin it was. We three were muskateers and didn’t play with anyone else on the playground. Just the three of us and I remember kissing them both and both were special. Buuut- since I can’t remember my Romeos’ names I won’t count that kiss. 🙂 So my first real kiss I was in 8th grade, twelve years old and my boyfriend was a real hottie. But looks can’t kiss, and unfortunately, neither could Lloyd. 😦

Bwahahahahaha 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 3:57 am

Hardy-har-har-har….Ba-dum-dung….love that humor girl!

Thanks for sharing your wild ways with us! lol

• Calisa Rhose

February 11, 2012 at 4:58 am

Hey you made it! 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 3:06 am

I was a super late bloomer. My girlfriend and I were waling around my tiny hometown, bored, and these two guys drove up and asked us if we wanted to cruise around. We did, drank a little beer and then mine (LOL) kissed me.
    We just hooked up on Facebook, and I told him he taught me to kiss, and boy was I glad cause he was amazing!
    I was 47 when I had that first kiss.
    Kidding.
    I was 16! LOL

• Calisa Rhose

February 11, 2012 at 3:11 am

I’ve had a few of those bored, beer and kiss days! One of mine ended with a flat tire on the 4X4 on a remote road- more like in the field next to the road- and walking back to town, hoping those two yahoos never saw me and my bff again! lol

February 11, 2012 at 3:58 am

HAHAHAHA….47….love it!

Thanks for sharing D’Ann 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 3:20 am

LOL, Calisa! Me, too. It wasn’t the age of innocence, but close. You could walk around, kiss boys and not be afraid for your lives in those days.

• Calisa Rhose

February 11, 2012 at 3:35 am

Interesting how we girls have changed. We are more cautious of who we kiss and boys are the same… if it walks on two legs.. Lol

No offense intended for any boys out there! We wouldn’t have you any other way!

February 11, 2012 at 3:44 am

Hey Christine- (how do you like how hard I’m working?) That pic up there ^ of ‘the kiss’, the soldier and nurse, was the first image I used to portray HOME on my blog. 🙂 But as incredibly dreamy as that kiss is, would you believe that was NOT a couple? They, in fact, had never met prior to that famous kiss that set the world in love.

February 11, 2012 at 4:00 am

I love that picture, and remember reading the history about it a few years ago……but I still like it….it’s a great lead in for a romance story isn’t it? lol

Now back to work….and back to work for me too! Edits….here I come!

• D'Ann Linscott-Dunham

February 11, 2012 at 4:25 am

Hasn’t that pic always been sooooo romantic? Didn’t you wonder if they both pined for the other after that day?

February 11, 2012 at 4:38 am

My first kiss was on the back of a horse (of course!) in 8th grade and I thought it was the grossest thing ever! LOL The first kiss with my husband was while standing next to my horse during a 5 hour ride. He had me pinned up against the saddle .

What a fun post!

February 11, 2012 at 5:19 am

What a sexy image of him kissing you while pinned up against the saddle!

I love first kisses! 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 5:03 am

Christine that is a story I’d love to write… oh wait- I’m a writer. Maybe I will… with a cool twist I just thought of! *note to self: WRITE COOL TWIST DOWN!!!* Done!

D’Ann- it does make me wonder.

February 11, 2012 at 5:20 am

LOL..you are too funny Calisa! I have a feeling something will happen that involves a cowboy… 🙂

14. Mirriam Smyth

February 11, 2012 at 5:04 am

First kiss… I was “late” in life when I experienced my first kiss. “Late” meaning I was almost 20. LOL It was… sweet. It was with my first boyfriend. He was a few years older, had more experience, and took it slow with me. And I do mean slow. You ever read those sweet kissing scenes in a book that still manage to leave you all warm, tingly, and wanting more?

🙂 Yeah. It was that kind of kiss.

February 11, 2012 at 5:20 am

ooohhh…then it was definitely worth the wait Mirriam!

February 11, 2012 at 7:28 am

these are some great answers! My first real kiss was at 17 – very late bloomer here! – with my first real boyfriend. And it was…sigh. And thats all I’m’a say about that.

February 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I hear romance Kristi!

Love it…thanks for coming by!

16. Martha Ramirez

February 11, 2012 at 8:23 am

This was so fun! Loved all the classic pics. Oh wow what stories!!

17. Martha Ramirez

February 11, 2012 at 8:24 am

OMG D’Ann I almost believed you LOL!!!!!! That was funny!

18. sarahballance

February 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

The first time a boy kissed me was on the playground in 3rd grade. He was sort of running past me when he did it. I had a crush on him so needless to say I was equal parts thrilled and mortified. I thought I’d DIE.

The first time my now-husband kissed me, I also thought I’d die. It was so sweet and so utterly perfect. I can still FEEL it when I think about it! It was the night we met. *SO* perfect! *happy sigh* And the really awesome thing is he still kissed me like that 16 years later. *swoon*

February 11, 2012 at 1:21 pm

oohhh la la….love your stories Sarah 🙂 I’m swooning just reading them 🙂

19. Lynne Marshall

February 11, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Hi Christine! Loved today’s blog. The pictures were fabulous! Man, if I was Scarlet O’Hara I’d need a neck brace after that kiss!! I also love the first kiss in books and movies because it is very telling.

I’ll be honest and say my first kiss with my husband didn’t knock my socks off, (but then I wasn’t wearing socks) ; ) But the next few did!

Please excuse my shameless promo here, but I happen to be sharing a first kiss scene for one of my upcoming books on Sunday Aussie time (Saturday US time) at The Sunday Smooches feature for – Love Cats Down Under blog. Now slap me with a wet noodle.

the sailor returning home is a classic kiss photo!

February 11, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks Lynne for stopping by. I love the pictures too! Love old movies, so it all tied in 🙂

Love your ‘shameless promo’….lol….I’ll have to stop by and check it out…anything involving a first kiss sounds like a must read for me 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but my first real kiss was when I was 18 (yes, you read that correctly). It was wet and yucky. The guy was nice, but I only kissed him because I felt guilty for letting him pay for dinner. Things got much better after that. There was nowhere to go but up! LOL

February 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm

LOL…still a great story! Love that you’re thought was that there was nowhere else to go but up!

21. Cera duBois

February 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm

My first kiss was at a high shool graduation party…. yeah, I was really a late bloomer…And let’s just say it was so out of character for me. We were both drunk, playing spin-the-bottle, and I didn’t even know him. He didn’t go to my school. I know I knew his name then, but since I was drunk (the first time for that too), I can’t remember much but the actual boy–but I remember that KISS.

And the fact he wanted to take me inside the house–where we could be alone. I told him, I was drunk but not that drunk… Then he handed me another beer.

No, he never got more than a kiss, though I know he wanted a heck of a lot more.

LOL!

February 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm

LOL…I love that you told him you were drunk but not that drunk and he hands you another beer….some guys can be so persistent….hahaha

Great story…thanks for coming by!

22. Vladimir

February 11, 2012 at 7:22 pm

“…or did you save that first kiss until you truly were more mature?”
    Nope, that one is unsaveable.
    We were about 10 , kissing and thinking “this is it, what else could we do?” 🙂

February 12, 2012 at 2:20 am

Love it Vladimir! Sometimes at 10 you think you know it all 🙂

23. myrahmcilvainMy

February 13, 2012 at 7:09 am

My first kiss wasn’t a bit romantic. I was about 10. Mike and his sister were my friends. As we walked home Mike grabbed my pigtails, pulled me backward and kissed me. I hit him.

February 13, 2012 at 9:24 am

Great story Myra! Reminds me of my sister….in kindergarten a little boy kissed her and she punched him, knocking out a tooth. LOL