02 Mar

Okay, I’m sure by now you’ve probably heard the news that Davy Jones passed away.  Hard to believe.  I mean, I wasn’t a huge fan or anything, but I remember how cool it was when he took Marcia Brady to the prom.  And I remember my sister watching The Monkees on television and believe it or not I went to a reunion concert in the late 80’s of musical groups from the 50’s and 60’s and they were there.  I went with my mom, aunt and cousin.  LOL…and it was fun.

All of this got me to thinking about my teenage years, when every young hormonal girl bought those awesome magazines so they could ogle their idols.  Teen Beat, Tiger Beat, 16 Magazine…I have no clue if these are still around, but I remember rushing to the store with my sister and the 2 neighbor girls to buy the latest issue.

One of the first teen idols who I fell in love with wasn’t just one person, but a whole group.  LOL…The Bay City Rollers…loved those tartan lads with their super sexy accents who made me dream of Saturday Nights.  There was actually a group of four of us, we weren’t even teenagers yet, but we loved them from afar.  Too funny!  (and the super cool thing is that my supervisor at work is from Edinburgh, where the Bay City Rollers are from…and she loved them too…hahahaha)…what were we thinking you may ask as you snicker at this picture…lol….who knows…I still say it’s their accents because it sure wasn’t their fashion sense!

Think of all the idols through the years, Elvis, Fabian, Ricky Nelson,(a bit before my time, but hotalicious non the less) Scott Baio, Shaun Cassidy (da doo ron ron ron went my sister’s heart…lol…she loved him and played his album over so often my ears went numb).

Now if you are from a younger crowd—or just a cougar—or a cougar cub in training—you might drool over Justin Bieber (oh the hair, but so not my type, but if he’s yours, don’t worry, he’s 18 now…lol), Zac Efron (love his eyes) or maybe even Justin Timberlake.

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please…

Who was that yummy teen idol who you adored as you flipped through the glossies, staying up late to see him on television, or bought his poster to plaster on your wall or inside the narrow confines of your school locker?  Do share!

Looking forward to reading your answers.

Posted by on March 2, 2012 in Friday Fun Facts

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Tory Michaels

March 2, 2012 at 5:41 am

I didn’t really have a teen idol. I s’pose, about the closest I came, was a thing for Mark-Paul Gosselar (Zach from Saved by the Bell). He’s still pretty danged hot.

March 2, 2012 at 6:01 am

No posters or magazines Tory? lol I’m in shock 🙂 Glad you came by and shared!!!

2. LaVerne

March 2, 2012 at 5:55 am

Oh, what fun Christine!
    I adored McGyver/Richard Dean Anderson. He was sexy in an understated way, intelligent and oh, so handsome! I especially loved the weeks when I might get a glimpse of his lovely arms 🙂

The other would have to be David Hasselhoff in his Knight Rider days – although I think I loved Kitt nearly as much! 😉

March 2, 2012 at 6:02 am

Oh yes, McGyver was pretty fine….and that he could get out of any situation made him all the better. Love those take control type guys..lol. And I’m with you about Knight Rider…Kit was the star! Thanks for coming by!

3. Lia Davis

March 2, 2012 at 6:18 am

Fun post! I was into the long hair rockers. Loved music – still do.

March 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Oh Yeah, Lia…there’s a few long haired rockers in my past too..lol

4. Heather

March 2, 2012 at 6:24 am

My teen idol had to be Adam Ant. Cringe!! I thought David Essex was seriously cute too but too old for me. My real heart throb was the butcher in our local supermarket. I thought he was absolutely gorgeous, I never knew his name and for months pretended a passionate affair with ‘Nicky’ a name I’d fancied as much as I’d fancied him. Imagine my surprise when his name turned out to be Nicky for real. Sadly by that point the crush was well past.

March 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm

LOL…Heather, I love your butcher story! And to have his name turn out to be Nicky…way cool! As for Adam Ant, my sister and her friend loved him too….too funny! Glad you came by:)

5. Tereasa Bellew

March 2, 2012 at 6:42 am

I remember those magazines, Christine, and collected the posters of David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman for my wall! On Saturdays my brother and I watched the Monkey’s and enjoyed their songs. My mom was in to Elivs. LOL! And these days, so am I.
    Great post!

March 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I’ve always loved Elvis movies too! And David Cassidy, he was quite yummy looking for sure. Thanks for commenting Tere 🙂

6. Neecy Kelly

March 2, 2012 at 7:45 am

Andy Gibbs!!! LOL He was very groovey.
    I dig the pic with Marsha and Davy.
    Far out, blog post today!

March 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm

hehehehe…great comment for the times! Thanks for coming by Denice!

March 2, 2012 at 7:59 am

Without a doubt, Paul McCartney. I loved all the Beatles, actually, but I was definitely a Team Paul gal.

March 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm

The fun thing about Paul McCartney is that he’s still pretty darn good looking! Thanks for commenting Callie!

March 2, 2012 at 8:21 am

Shaun Cassidy! My BFF and I would put bright lipstick on and kiss is record cover. LOL. How embarrassing to admit that.

9. http://mkempher.com

March 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

I never really got crazy about any guys when I was let’s say 11-15. I was “into” Princess Diana. I was 15 when she was Lady Di and I still have books and magazines from that time. I still have the newspapers from when she died. So sad. I wasn’t “into” her like you’d be for a boy, but she’s the closest I came. I’ve never really been someone who gets all googliy eyed over someone just because they’re famous and/or hot.

Now I’m a mother of a 12 year old who I had to explain to who was Princess Diana, and worse–who was Mother Teresa.

I’m getting older, 😦

March 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Princess Diana and Mother Teresa are both people who are hard to describe…both were amazing ladies. Enjoyed your comment 🙂

March 2, 2012 at 9:14 am

Jordan Knight…from New Kids On The Block…he lived through many a fantasy with me…

March 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm

New Kids on the Block…hehehehe….love the boy bands 🙂 Thanks for commenting Kristi!

March 2, 2012 at 10:24 am

OMG! Dereck from the Bay City Rollers. Loved, loved, loved him!!! My friend Julie and I worshipped him. LOL. What a flashback you gave me.

March 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

LOL…Derek was my sister’s choice too..I liked…okay…LOVED (hehehehe) Les and Woody…to funny…thanks for stopping by.

March 2, 2012 at 10:39 am

Hmmm Shaun Cassidy was the heartthrob when I was in grade school. I don’t remember anyone in particular in high school (I was too busy with my horses to worry about boys). I know, I’m really boring!

March 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Shaun Cassidy was cute…but I always liked dark men….so his brother David was way hotter…lol Glad you came by Ally.

13. Michelle Bourassa

March 2, 2012 at 10:50 am

The first one I had a crush on, and I wasn’t quite a teen yet, was David Cassidy. My friend and I would watch the Partridge Family every week together and just fell in love. LOL After that, it was John Travolta – Welcome Back Kotter.

March 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Oh my…I can’t believe I forgot about John Travolta…loved Welcome Back Kotter….lol….thanks for that memory!

March 2, 2012 at 11:21 am

My heart went pit-pat when I saw this post! Absolutely adored Davy, though he was older than me by several years. But OMG the Bay City Rollers!!!!!! I remember the first time they came to OKC, Oklahoma for their Magic tour, their first American tour. I was fifteen and glued to the radio because then rock station, WKY had them for a live interview. Here’s a couple of fun facts for you: They stuck a pin in an United States map to name the group; the pin stuck in Bay City, Michigan :), Derek the drummer (and only blond) and Alan, the electric guitarist (third from left in this pic) are brothers. Leslie, the lead singer and second from right, is from Ireland, not Scotland and is now a British country singer. I think he’s still my FB friend. lol And for a short time another irish boy named Ian joined and Alan left. Ian returned to Ireland after only a few months with BCR, and started Rosetta Stone, another five-man group. Who produced one album, which I still have.

Ok so Shaun Cassidy was my very first concert with a new group, Virgin, as the opening act. Some of those boys still sing.
    My other heart throbs were Andy Gibb and Rex Smith. I had a KISS collection (that was my bad-girl phase) of every album they ever recorded…please don’t ask what happened to those priceless vinyls. And to this day I love REO Speedwagon and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Oh and I can’t forget Rick Springfield! with Jesse’s Girl…

One final fun fact- the BCR were highly instrumental in kick starting my writing career. 🙂 Ah the daydreams!

What a wonderful post, Hurricane! Sorry to take over, but it’s your fault!

Milk dud at 4. 🙂

• Sharon Cullen

March 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Oooh. I forgot about Rick Springfield. Yes, my heart went pitter-patter when I saw him on TV. He’s the whole reason I started watching General Hospital!

I’m going to have to Google the Bay City Rollers. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them

March 2, 2012 at 6:52 pm

General Hospital..loved that soap…the only one I ever got into. Yes, google the BCR’s…my supervisor and I did it a couple weekends ago and had quite a few laughs. lol

March 2, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thought of you at 4 Calisa….hope you stuck to our deal..lol

Can’t believe you loved the BCR’s too….see, we really are sistas! I knew all those fun facts about them….and actually Bay City isn’t far from where I live….how fun is that? Can you imagine if their pin had stuck in Burnt Corn (Alabama) or Many Farm (Arizona)….just doesn’t quite do it does it?

Loved reading your comment…thanks for coming by! xoxo

• Calisa Rhose

March 2, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Milk duds! Yeah! lol And Caremello, mmm. It’s cool you live close to their namesake. And I knew you’d know those things if I did. 🙂 Fun, fun post sistah!

March 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I had the hugest crush on Jan Michael Vincent, lol! Even secretly wrote the television station who played his movie Defiance and they sent me his fan address along with a fan picture! Can’t believe they did that.
    Fun post as always, Christine!

March 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Great story Jennifer! Glad you are enjoying the posts!

March 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I used to think David Cassidy was pretty hot. Leif Garrett too. Throw Micheal Landon in the mix…I didn’t care how old they were – they looked good to me.

What a great post!

March 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Oh yeah…I thought Michael Landon was pretty hot too…even though he was an older man. And Leif Garrett….he was in all those magazines too! LOL

March 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm

This is such a great post.
    Yeah, I was in love with Scott Baio, Clint Eastwood, Keith Partridge, and then when I hit 17 I feel in love with…Prince. LOL, don’t ask me why because he was not masculine looking, but there was something about the way he moved.

March 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I love Clint too..even wanted to name my youngest son Clint but hubs said no…lol

18. Emma Paul

March 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Love the post! Hmm my teen crush, and I know this is weird, but it was Alice Cooper…Loved him!

19. Isabella Macotte

March 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Oh wow! I remember these bands. My friends and I would pour over the latest issue of Tiger Beat magazine and sigh. Crushes? for me Prince and everyone in the band Duran Duran

March 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Duran Duran..another group I forgot about…loved them. They were great for listening to when you cruised around on the weekend in a convertible…lol Ah, to be 16 again 🙂

20. Cera duBois

March 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Oh… I’d have to say my teen idol was John Schneider from “The Duke’s of Hazzard” fame… I watched that show every Friday night as a teenager just to see him jump and slide through that window to get into the General Lee…LOL

March 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm

hehehe….he was pretty hot for sure! And I used to watch that show for pretty much the same reason…lol

• Darlene Steelman

March 2, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I loooved Bo Duke when I was a little girl.. and I sooo wanted to look like Daisy!

March 2, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I still want to look like Daisy..lol. Thanks for coming by Darlene 🙂

• sarahballance

March 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm

My 5yo daughter is OBSESSED with “Dukes” as she calls them. When she turned five I had to make a cake of the General Lee in mid air jumping off a cliff. (My husband had to weld something for that). This year she wants another Dukes party. Her favorite color is orange, and if she sees something orange she wants it. She plays “Dukes” every day. She quotes Boss and Rosco and Cooter. She has two 01 shirts and she wears them nonstop. She named one of her Webkinz toys Flash and other one Bo. The DVDs play constantly. She’s an ANIMAL.

21. Darlene Steelman

March 2, 2012 at 7:08 pm

oh my gosh!! Teen Beat and Tiger Beat!? I remember getting the magazines and after reading them, taking the “posters” out (remember those big fold out ones?) and taping them on my walls and door..
    I had a crush on Scott Baio and John Stamos.. I also loooved Ralph Macchio and all the other boys from The Outsiders.. 🙂

Fun post, Christine!!

March 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm

lol…I loved those posters…that was the first thing we went for each issue. John Stamos…yum! And Scott Baio…I think he got better with age..at least the last pic I saw of him looked good.

22. Paula Martin

March 2, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Think I’m an earlier generation than most here, but my first crush was (eek!) Pat Boone in the the 1950’s.

March 2, 2012 at 8:24 pm

He was a good looking guy for sure! Love it..thanks for coming by Paula 🙂

March 2, 2012 at 7:59 pm

My two favorite idols were John Schneider aka Bo Duke and Dirk Benedict aka Starbuck (the original Starbuck from the 80’s show Battlestar Galactica). Oh how I loved them so. And Tiger Beat is still in existence. My daughter buys it quite often to drool over Justin Bieber and now her new favorites, English group One Direction.

March 2, 2012 at 8:25 pm

YAY…Tiger Beat is still in existence…I’m almost tempted to pick one up so I can reminisce, but I won’t know anyone in it…lol

March 2, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Ah, Rick Springfield (who was also on the show Battlestar Galactica LOL). I loved General Hospital, but I must admit my favorite GH guy was Robert Scorpio (Tristan Rogers) with that gorgeous Australian accent. *swoon* And Duran Duran…. Simon LeBon was my favorite. So many heartthrobs, so little time!

March 2, 2012 at 8:25 pm

You got that right Ceri! Thanks for commenting 🙂

25. Cristen Singh-Suwal

March 2, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Harrison Ford! Well, really Han Solo. I first saw the Star Wars movies when I was five or so. I thought he was kind of disingenuous and didn’t trust him at first, but I was smitten after all his quippy exchanges with Princess Leia in The Empire Strikes Back. My heart is still aflutter whenever I watch the scene with he and Leia reuniting in Jabba’s palace. I’m pretty sure it even made me cry when I was seven; happy things had never done that to me before. It was alarming.

March 2, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Oh I agree Cristen….the Han Solo character was perfect…I liked his quippy exchanges too..always like that quick wit and humor…and I’ve noticed that Harrison Ford has played several characters like that….which makes me wonder if he’s like that in real life. He was pretty hot back in the day, and has aged quite well too!~

Thanks for commenting!