16 Mar

Okay, I admit it, I have some weird quirks and habits, but I think we all do.  One of the oddest, at least according to my hubs and kids, is that I have a few select cups that I use for certain beverages.  I mean as in I HAVE to have those particular cups, no others will suffice.  One of my quirks with dishes is that I must have matching sets…my everyday dishes, my cups, mugs…everything.  Except for these select cups.  No rhyme or reason, but it tis the way it is 🙂

Now mostly I’m a girl that likes her water.  And I can drink that out of any cup, as long as it’s glass (no plastic cups in this here house…sorry)  A cold beverage just tastes better in a glass…or something breakable.  LOL.

Then I have that fun cup—actually I have 2…one for me and one for my sis—that is perfect for when my sister is over and we are enjoying something a little more adult.  You know, something you might put a paper umbrella in or a toothpick filled with fruits or veges or sometimes sausage…thinking bloody mary here 🙂  I love the colors…it just screams “I’m going to have fun and you can’t stop me.”

Then I have the other beverage that I love love love!  My coffee.  I love my coffee with a little bit of froo froo creamer…usually French vanilla but sometimes I like to jazz it up and go all crazy and add a dash of amaretto creamer or chocolate flavor, or whatever strikes my fancy on grocery shopping day 🙂  I also add 2 packages of sugar—and by sugar I’m referring to the artificial sweetener—Splenda more than likely.

When I’m on the go, I have my favorite travel mugs that suit my coffee needs.  As you can see the Coca Cola one has been well loved.  The kitty cat one reminds me of my cat Chocolate, which is the main reason I bought the cup.
Now when I’m at home, I have 3 different mugs that I use the most because they are roomy and I just like the way they feel in my hand.  But last summer hubs and I road tripped it to South Dakota to visit Mt Rushmore and I entered the gift shop to buy something for the kids and I.  From across the room a light beckoned me forth, slanting with bright brilliance over the best coffee mug in the world.  My Mt Rushmore ceramic coffee mug is the prettiest green, lightweight, and comes complete with the perfect sized handle.  I know my other cups are jealous because they have been ignored for quite awhile, but I don’t care.  And I’ve already informed hubs that if this mug breaks, we’ll be taking another road trip.  Well, unless I can find it on eBay.  lol

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please…

Do you have a special mug, cup or dish that you HAVE to use when you are drinking or eating something in particular?  No other will do, and when people find out that you play favorites, they give you that look—you know the one—like you’re a little bit off your rocker?  lol

Looking forward to reading your answers.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Darlene Steelman

March 16, 2012 at 6:15 am

Good morning, Christine.. 🙂 I love coffee!!! I have a favorite mug I drink from at home. When ever anyone else uses it (usually my BF does) I get irate. It is MY mug! We have fifteen other mugs! Pick one of those, please.

And then I have my travel mug. It is stainless steel, which I love because it cleans up so nice and it never has a funky smell like the plastic ones sometimes do.

Fun post! Enjoy your weekend!

March 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

I feel relieved I’m not the only one with a favorite cup….lol. Thanks for coming by Darlene 🙂 And you’re right…stainless steel does clean up nice!

2. Tereasa Bellew

March 16, 2012 at 7:02 am

I can certainly agree with you about being pulled toward to ‘light’, er, coffee cup in that gift shop, Christine! It’s happened to me before. How lucky you were to have found it and the other wonderful glasses, too. I love the colorful, fun glasses and how great you picked them in a pair for you and your sister. Sweet! I have a rock heavy porcelain cup from some imagniary diner that greats me each morning. I smell fresh coffee and subconsciously I hear “what’ll it be, de’caf or straight up?”
    Fun post, Christine!
    Tere

March 16, 2012 at 9:25 am

I want one of those old diner mugs Tere! They are always thick and sturdy and I bet you can drop it on tile and it doesn’t break. Lucky you!

3. Neecy Kelly

March 16, 2012 at 7:22 am

I don’t have a favorite glass I drink from… but if I ever come visit, I would love to use your mosaic art looking one!
    Sister bonding time can be so much fun,
    Cheers,

March 16, 2012 at 9:25 am

Denice, if you ever come visit me…we’ll definitely drink from the mosaic glasses, out on the porch. Sounds awesome 🙂

4. kristinaknightauthor

March 16, 2012 at 7:55 am

For hot chocolate – has to be one of the set of 4 mugs I got one year at Rain Forest Cafe. The mugs are way campy, but what I love about them is that they keep the chocolate warm and toasty. I’m a slow hot chocolate drinker, so that’s important!

March 16, 2012 at 9:26 am

You were smart Kristi and bought in a set of 4. I’m a slow hot cocoa drinker too…is there any other way? LOL Glad you dropped in!

March 16, 2012 at 10:02 am

OMG, Christine, were we switched at birth? I do have a favorite cup for my coffee. It’s lightweight and the handle is perfect. Guess what’s on it? The faces on Mt. Rushmore.

March 16, 2012 at 11:08 am

Sorry, this is one quirk I don’t have (but I did enjoy all the pix of your various glasses and mugs!). My favorite dishes are paper plates. So much easier to clean up! But I do love the hazelnut creamer in my coffee.

March 16, 2012 at 11:43 am

LOL…thanks for coming by Ally…I like the hazelnut creamer too…YUM!

• Mirriam Smyth

March 16, 2012 at 11:51 am

LOL I like your idea of paper plates. :/ Unfortunately, my daughter likes to use them for crafts so they never quite make it to the dinner table!

March 16, 2012 at 11:21 am

I have to drink my coffee out of a tall Latte style ceramic mug. I have a glass mug too, but the ceramic ones keep my coffee hot longer. And I don’t do the itty-bitty, stick my pinkie in the air cups either. NO WAY. If the mug doesn’t hold at least two servings, it’s not for me.

Cinnamon Vanilla Creamer for me with 2 Sweet n Lows. I’ll also do Chai tea. 🙂
    I love your posts!!

March 16, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Sheri, I love Chai tea too…haven’t had it in awhile..but it’s sounding great! Glad you like the posts!

8. Mirriam Smyth

March 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

Hmm… I don’t have a favorite coffee mug. I own three different colors – blue, white, and black. Not very adventurous, lol, but they all hold hot liquid so they work for me! And I take my coffee with a splash (a literal splash) of Vanilla or Sweet Cream creamer, no sugar.

Happy Friday, Christine!

March 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

No sugar? WOW….impressive. I can’t do it without that sweet part! Thanks for coming by Mirriam 🙂

9. D'Ann Lindun

March 16, 2012 at 11:56 am

A glass coffee cup. It just tastes fresher or something in that mug. And when we go camping, I have to drink coffee out of a tin cup.

March 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I haven’t been camping in awhile D’Ann…but used to love drinking in the tin cup…for some reason by the campfire in the morning…it tasted better. Glad you dropped by!

10. saukra

March 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I have a chicken mug that I use to drink my coffee in–all my other mugs have roosters on them–matching set–but this one mug has a hen on it. I got it years ago from the Swap-n-Shop. I love that mug so much. I don’t know what I’m going to do when it breaks.

March 16, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I have several rooster mugs, but no hen! Thanks for commenting 🙂

11. Martha Ramirez

March 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm

What a fun post! Thanks for sharing the pics. Youre so right about beverages tasting better served in glass. How funny. We tend to use the sane old same old. Although now I’m hooked on drinking Green tea (decaf) while I write. And it’s always in my Happiness oriental large mug. 😉

March 16, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I’m noticing we all tend to prefer a LARGE mug! LOL Glad you came by Mart 🙂

12. sarahballance

March 16, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I like my iced tea and iced water in a glass — preferably one of the “good” ones but the kids keep breaking those, LOL. Also, when I get iced tea from McDonald’s I like to rinse the cup out and use it for a couple of days for my tea at home. (I think it’s the Styrofoam. It keeps the drink cold!)

For hot drinks, I’m not as picky. There are about five different coffee cups I like, but I’m usually happy just to find a clean one. (There are eight of us. We go through cups quickly, lol.)

March 16, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I can only imagine how you go through cups! When there were 5 of us here we had a zillion dirty ones to be washed it seemed (along with a ton of laundry). Can’t imagine 8 of you! Thanks for coming by Sarah 🙂

March 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Oh, I so do! In fact I have my own shelf and my hubby has his. Mine has my writing and tea mugs while his has his coffee and guest mugs. I’m very particular about which mug I have my morning tea in. The Starbucks mug my sister got me for my birthday a few years ago or the Irish mug my kids got me last year. No one uses those, lol.
    Great post, Christine!

March 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm

LOL…Love it Jennifer…I really like the own shelf idea! I would so love each member in the family having their own cup shelf. Hmmmm….

14. Lynne Marshall

March 16, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Hi Christine!
    I can’t say I absolutely MUST HAVE a certain cup to drink my tea in, BUT everynight when I have my tension tamer herbal tea, I use a special cup near and dear to my heart. It is an English Rose covered cup made in England by Roy Kirkham and it was given to me by a lovely lady who was one of my first critique partners. She passed away a couple years ago, so each night when I have my tea of think of Carol.

March 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

That’s a wonderful story Lynne! A nice tribute to your friend.

15. Sandra Dailey

March 16, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I’m a coffee monster. The cup I have to have when I work is a colorful Disney World mug with Garndma printed down the handle. Heaven help the person who tries to use my Mickey Mug!

March 16, 2012 at 9:47 pm

LOL…love it that you are a possessive mug owner! And how cute to have Grandma printed down the handle 🙂 I might have to go on a mission now to find a mug with something written along the handle..hmmm

16. myrahmcilvain

March 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I use the same water cup. It started as a thermal cup with a handle. It has evolved, or been washed, into a faded relic. I still carry it around, drink from it except when I have company. Then, I make the table settings match. My family has stopped commenting.

March 17, 2012 at 5:53 am

LOL…Your last line said it all Myra….”My family has stopped commenting.” Love it!

17. Cindy Dwyer

March 17, 2012 at 9:06 am

Christine, were we separated at birth???

Yes, glass for water – unless I’m on the go and using a water bottle. Favorites for my tea, different favorites for hot cocoa or coffee.

I don’t have an adult fun glass though. I’ve have to be on the lookout for one.

March 17, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Cindy, you have to find adult fun glasses! Let me know when you get some and we’ll get together to use them and discuss our parentage! LOL. Thanks for coming by!

March 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I have several I use when writing and my latest is the most perfect of all. FIL gave me one that says “I’m willing to accept suggestions and constructive criticism from anyone who’s willing to accept a fat lip.” What? I am NOT a sensitive writer! LOL

March 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm

LOL…love it Calisa…some of those topical mugs are too funny!

19. Vladimir (@socialmediatry)

March 20, 2012 at 2:39 am

Lovely cups & mugs you use.
    I’m all like you, still, mine are not so cool as yours.
    You gave me the idea of renewing my set ! Thanks !

I wish you a successful release.

March 20, 2012 at 7:03 am

Thanks Vladimir….glad you came by to share and comment 🙂

20. Katelyn

May 3, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I don’t have a favourite cup but when i get a mug the 14 year old i am refuses to drink from anything else until i get a new one it happens with almost anything new i will use it untill i get something to replace it.