18 May

Do you ever get into a mood—and I’m talking food-wise—where you crave a certain taste for a certain food to such the extreme that you can eat it at every meal?

For some reason this week I wanted to have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches morning, noon and night…along with an evening snack…lol

Now, let me tell you, PBJ’s aren’t a sandwich I eat often.  I generally find I will indulge in a good PB&J maybe once a year—if that.

But for some reason this week I couldn’t get the thought of an old fashioned PB&J out of my head.  And, no, I wasn’t daydreaming about when the kids were small and that seemed to be all they’d want for lunch 🙂  lol

I craved soft white bread—no whole wheat or multi-grain for this craving—if I was going to be naughty, I was going to go all the way!  🙂  Then yummy, creamy SKIPPY peanut butter slathered on each piece of bread and a thin layer of strawberry jelly in between.

Let me tell you, with a glass of cold, COLD milk I was in heaven.  LOL  (and yes, I drink fat-free milk so that counteracts the calories of the PB&J…hahahaha)

Which brings me to today’s Friday Fun Fact question….Drum roll please…

Am I flying solo here, or does anyone else get a food craving that they just can’t seem to satisfy—having the same meal over and over again until they don’t ever want to see that meal again—or at least until the next time they get in the mood.  Lol  And if so, what was that craving that took over your taste buds and wouldn’t let anything else suffice?

I’m looking forward to your answers 🙂

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Tereasa Bellew

May 18, 2012 at 7:03 am

Whenever I get cravings, once I give in to them, I’m satisfied. For me it’s Frosted mini-wheats. I don’t eat breakfast so when the urge hits to have a bowl of cereal, it’s always later in the day. And I’ll eat everything except the cereral, (because I really don’t like milk) until all else fails, and I have to eat the cereal. It’s the only way to ‘make it stop.’
    But it’s never taken me an entire week to get out of my system….Maybe your subconscious was trying to tell you something. Fun post and looking forward to everyones answers.

May 18, 2012 at 7:57 am

I wonder what my subconscious was trying to tell me? LOL…great, now I’m going to be googling subconscious vs food cravings vs pb&j’s…lmbo.

Usually it doesn’t take me a week to get it out of my system either…maybe a couple of times at most but for some reason those sandwiches were the best ever, but at this point I don’t want to see another one for quite some time. lol

Thanks for coming by Tere 🙂

2. Cheryl Yeko

May 18, 2012 at 7:13 am

Yep. Happens all the time. The latest was crab cakes. My local market makes the best crab cakes and me and my husband ate them everyday for what seemed like forever…now we’re down to once or twice a week.

Before that, it was something else. LOL. It is a commom theme in my family!

-Cheryl

May 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

Whew…words of hope Cheryl! Glad I’m not in this alone. And cravings for crab cake…sounds good to me. lol

3. Darlene Steelman

May 18, 2012 at 8:53 am

hahaha!!! I went thru a PBJ phase.. then there was the Bachman Cheese Jax phase.. then there was the burritos phase (this one was not fun for anyone within close proximity to me!) and it goes on.
    I do love me some PBJ sammies with an ice cold glass of milk… it’s healthy too!

Great post, Christine..

May 18, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hmmm…burritos…now that does sound good….you might have given me my next craving Darlene! lol

4. stevenloweryauthor

May 18, 2012 at 9:00 am

One word: Ice cream…or is it two? You talk about Cravings! About once a year I go through it with ice cream. No Excuse-No Explanation…Just gotta have it. Have it Every Nite or I might perish. Cease to exist. What? Why? Maybe I’ll turn into a flesh-craving Zombie if I don’t have my large bowl of DreamyCream with Caramel and nuts topping? Who’s to say…But I’m not taking any chances to find out. There are more than enough zombies staggering through the dark nite without adding one more! I hope JKL. doesn’t see this. She’ll be after me…She is the Sugar Sherrif around these parts!!!

May 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

LMBO Steven, you are too funny. Ice cream is one of those cravings I go through too..and don’t worry about me, your secret is safe with me from the Sugar Sherrif!

• stevenloweryauthor

May 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Sorry…Toooo Late. I’m sending this from Sugar Shack Prison… “Hey-Mr. Guard can you PLEAAASE
        loosen these handcuffs? Can barely move my index fingers cause these bracelets are so TIGHT!! PS. Please send cookies,,,and ICE CREAM…

• Jennifer Lowery

May 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I heard that 🙂

• stevenloweryauthor

May 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Rats!!! I just knew the S-Sheriff would be in town! Caught with my spoon in a 4-quart pail of Yummy Cool Cream.

• stevenloweryauthor

May 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Rats!! I knew the S-Sheriff would be in town. Caught red-handed with my spoon in the 4-quart bowl of Yummy Cool Cream…

May 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm

LMBO….I’d pass you a key for the cuffs Steven, but I’m not going to get in trouble and ruin my good standing with SS….lol

May 18, 2012 at 9:00 am

My latest craving is bad bad bad. Weaver Buffalo Chicken wings. Can get them in the frozen food section and they are soooo good! I want them now. Dunk them in ranch dressing and I’m in heaven.

May 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

You sound like my son Ceri…he loves everything dipped in ranch!

May 18, 2012 at 9:01 am

LOl, Christine! We are pb&j fans here – although we go with the more traditional grape jelly… I’ve been on a tuna kick lately. I think I’ve made tuna salad every day this week – either eating it in ritz crackers or wheat bread…

May 18, 2012 at 9:05 am

I love tuna too…but I don’t think I’ve gotten into a tuna craving….yet! lol

Thanks for coming by Kristi 🙂

May 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

This is so funny (to me anyway) because this week I was in a PB&J mood too! On white toast, single served slices, not the traditional sandwich. Strawberry preserves, which I don’t have at the moment so substituted with raspberry jam (sugar-free). As kids, my sister and I loved toast with PB&M. Gross? Wait til you say the actual words= peanut butter and mustard…

May 18, 2012 at 9:54 am

Okay, now that’s an interesting craving…peanut butter and mustard…hmmm…I know we’re a lot alike Calisa, but I’m not sure about this one. LOL

I will confess that my sister and I used to eat miracle whip sandwiches when we were kids….yep, just 2 pieces of bread with miracle whip in between….doesn’t appeal to me now…I think we must’ve been crazy!

8. Meggan Connors

May 18, 2012 at 9:29 am

My cravings change from time to time. I’ve had the Mini Wheats phase, the pizza phase (where I literally ate nothing but pizza for two days), and the most bizarre, sushi phase (sushi for breakfast? I don’t think so).

So no, you’re not alone, and I say: indulge that craving!!!! I know my kids will be indulging their cravings for PB&J today!

May 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

Sushi for breakfast…hmm..I can eat cold pizza and even a slice of pie…but don’t know if I can do sushi. LOL

Thanks for coming by Meggan 🙂

9. Gerri Bowen

May 18, 2012 at 9:37 am

Yes, every now and then I get cravings and, like you, will have it for each meal. Weird.

May 18, 2012 at 9:56 am

Makes you wonder if it’s our bodies way of telling us we’re missing some secret vitamin. LOL…Thanks for stopping by Gerri 🙂

May 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

For awhile mine was turkey and swiss on rye then broiled. I put some mayo on it and let the mayo get melty. Mmmmm ::smacking my lips:: I might have to have that for lunch today.

May 18, 2012 at 9:56 am

That does sound good Sharon..thanks for a new recipe! Love the broiled part 🙂

11. jrobayo74

May 18, 2012 at 9:53 am

Scrambled eggs with cheese on top, and a whole swirl of ketchup, I once gave in and used almost a whole carton of eggs, (we won’t go into the quantity but suffice to say the carton came from Sam’s Club) Pizza is a major temptation always, I’m trying something a friend told me: drink two glasses of water before you eat anything and keep the cravings away.
    The worst ever, when I was writing GAZE I had my characters enjoying an Italian dinner… Let’s just say I had the same waitress for both lunch and dinner that day =P

May 18, 2012 at 9:57 am

LOL…love that Javier! Italian food is a downfall for me too….and your scrambled egg craving sounds kind of scary…that’s a lot of eggs!

Thanks for coming by!

12. Mari Collier

May 18, 2012 at 10:02 am

The only times I had cravings like that I was expecting. With my daughter is was shell fish. I didn’t have a license (parents believed a woman shouldn’t drive & husband thought I should teach myself like he did), but I got into our car and drove to the nearest store and bought canned shrimp, clams, and oysters with money I had tucked away for an emergency. With my son, I craved grapefruit. I’m extremely allergic to grapefruit. I tried disguising the grapefruit by buying a can of pineapple grapefruit juice and put in the refrigerator. It was delicious going down. Terrible on the journey back up.

There are occasions when I do want the old time comfort foods such as meatloaf or the chili my husband called gringo chili, but that is the same kind of “I must have” want.

I can’t imagine wanting white bread. I didn’t like that as a child. If, however, one of those “wants” hit a person, it is better to indulge and get it out of the way. Otherwise a person tends to eat too much of everything else.

May 18, 2012 at 11:05 am

Very sound advice about indulging so you don’t overeat!

When I was pregnant I didn’t so much have cravings as food I couldn’t eat that made me ill. My first pregnancy I couldn’t stomach hamburger…which made cooking on a newlyweds budget hard..lol

Thanks for coming by Mari!

13. D'Ann Lindun

May 18, 2012 at 10:15 am

LOL. Are you pregnant? I used to crave lemons with salt wen I was young. I couldn’t get enough.

May 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

LMBO…not preggers 🙂

Was there a shot glass next to those lemons & salt? lmbo

Thanks for coming by D’Ann!

• Tereasa Bellew

May 18, 2012 at 2:35 pm

ROTFLMAO! Christine, you’re priceless!! And always make me laugh. I love Fridays!

May 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

I used to eat white bread and Miracle Whip sandwiches when I was little. In fact, for the longest time I thought Miracle Whip was mayo because it’s all we had in the house. Doesn’t appeal to me at all now.

I do occasionally crave a PB&J sandwich, but it’s usually just one, not a 24/7 week long binge. LOL. The other is a BLT, but usually one will satisfy the craving.

My vice now is chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. If it’s in the house, I have to have it at least twice a day.

May 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

Too funny that you had miracle whip sandwiches Ally…I’ll have to tell my sister..too funny!

I’m with you on the BLT’s…but usually one gets that craving out of the way….this week was kind of odd for me.

Thanks for coming by!

15. Nancy Jardine

May 18, 2012 at 10:41 am

Pasta of any shape with a simple tomato, garlic, green pepper and mushroom sauce. If I don’t see it often enough on my table the next time hubby asks what do I want I say ‘pasta!’. He knows exactly what kind! Otherwise…I eat everything.

May 18, 2012 at 11:09 am

I love a simple pasta like that too Nancy. My hubs doesn’t like pasta–isn’t that wrong?–so I try and avoid making it to often.

Thanks for coming by!

16. Cara Bristol

May 18, 2012 at 11:13 am

I thought I was the only one that got hooked on foods! Believe it or not, right now I’m hooked on Zone nutrition bars — the strawberry and yogurt ones. I try to limit myself to one a day. I was on a turkey kick for a while. Steel-cut oatmeal. Pretzel crisps. Ranier cherries. Blueberries. Fortunately, most of my cravings are not unhealthy so I can indulge them — a little.

May 18, 2012 at 1:09 pm

You are lucky that your cravings are usually good…I’ve been into blackberries for about 2 months now….I snack on them all the time…but the pb&j kick needed to stop…so not good for the calorie count! lol

Thanks for coming by Cara 🙂

17. MarthaJRamirez

May 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm

You always come up with good ones, Christine. Yup. I defense get food cravings. And yup p and j are one as well! Maybe or body is nudging us that we lack protein and need it from the peanut butter…..or who knows. When I was pg I craved fresh asked pretzels and mint chocolate chip ice cream. Today IM craving Mexican food.
    Fun post:-!

May 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I wonder the same thing Mart…I think it must have something to do with our bodies giving us a clue we’re lacking something. At least that sounds like a good excuse. lol

Glad you enjoy the posts!

May 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I try to give into my cravings–when possible–and if they are realistic, lol. If I don’t try and satisfy it, my mind won’t let it go.
    Also, there are reasons for why we crave certain things. Usually it means we are lacking in something. LOL, not sure what I’m lacking when I crave chocolate.

May 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I’m with you Brenda…if I don’t give in I can’t get it out of my mind!

As for chocolate…maybe we’re lacking sugar? lmbo…it’s worth a try right?

May 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Once in a while I have those cravings. I know exactly what you’re talking about. I think what Brenda says it true, that we crave what our body lacks. About twice a year, I start jonesing for sushi. Good thing I can make it or I’d break our bank account.

May 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Lucky you that you know how to make Sushi. We have a Japanese restaurant next to my office and once in awhile I order from there…love sushi!

20. sarahballance

May 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I crave kettle-cooked jalapeno potato chips. OMG. When I get in the mood for those things, I will eat the whole bag, and if you try to take one I’ll hurt you. I love washing them down with ice-cold coke. OMYum. Fortunately I only eat a whole bag about once every couple of months, and it’s not because I get tired of them. It’s because I know how much damage it does to my daily calorie count, lol.

I also crave Texas Rose / Bloomin’ Onions and I don’t stop craving them until I have one. That only hits 2-3 times a year, and I’ll eat the whole thing.

May 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm

You’re liking the spice I see! lol

I’m in good company with all my friends that have cravings too! Whew…I’m somewhat relieved 🙂

21. chitsuen

May 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Ha, interesting post, Christine. For the past two weeks, I’ve been craving tacos and during those two weeks my coworkers had to listen to me rant about wanting them and then open up a can of soup to eat. 🙂 Since today was payday, I totally had some tacos! Hurray! And now with this post, I can see myself having a peanut butter and honey sandwich tomorrow. 🙂

May 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm

LMBO…love it Melissa…you can take over my craving for PB&J’s and support the peanut and jelly industry…I pass the torch! lmbo

May 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies! When I’m craving them nothing else suffices. Great post, Christine!

May 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm

YUM…I’ve never had one, but they sounds delish! Thanks for coming by Jennifer 🙂

23. Cindy Dwyer

May 18, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Skippy is THE best! I ate PB&J every day throughout my entire childhood. If you think your craving was bad for you, I went through a Steakum phase once. Is that even real meat?

May 18, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I remember Steakum…never had it but I remember one of my friends growing up ate it all the time…he loved it. Sandwiches, plain, with eggs…he had an entire menu of steakum ideas. LOL