05 Sep

Today is the first Wednesday in the month of September on What to Read Wednesday and we are lucky to have author Larissa Reinhart visiting. Larissa is a wonderful person who I met on facebook and I’m thrilled she’s joining me in the hot seat today to talk about her debut release—PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY— published with Henery Press.

And Larissa didn’t come empty handed. She is giving one lucky commenter a copy of PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY.

So let’s get started….Welcome to What to Read Wednesday Larissa!  🙂

Thanks for having me on What to Read Wednesday! I love your books Christine, and love checking your blog to add to my TBR pile.

I’m glad you enjoy the blog 🙂 I can’t wait to get my copy of your debut…I’m instantly attracted to your story by the cover alone. But don’t let me get off topic…Can you tell us about yourself in 5 sentences?

I hail from a small Midwestern farming town, but have lived in the South for most of my adult life. I’ve also lived in Japan three times. I have a Cairn terrier named Biscuit, two beautiful girls adopted from China, and a husband who I met at age 19, which should have led me to writing YA. I’ve always loved writing, particularly stories about strong, sassy women who love trouble, but didn’t get back to writing until the girls went to school. And I was almost bit by a monkey in Thailand.

I’ve seen pictures of your girls and they are just too darn cute! (and I love your terriers name…lol) If we opened up your fridge right now, what would we find?

A lot of miscellaneous bottles of sauces, beer, milk, and rotting veggies. Hmm. I guess it’s pizza for supper!

LOL…pizza is always good! Do you prefer to read with an e-reader or hold a ‘real’ book?

Good question. I love a ‘real’ book, but if I’m reading a series I like the immediacy of my e-reader. That’s how I read The Hunger Games. I downloaded the first, read it in a day, and immediately downloaded the second and third books.

What genre (s) do you write?

PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY is a humorous mystery with a heavy dose of romance. Is that a genre? Actually my editor said it’s considered an amateur sleuth mystery. I have issues with knowing what genre I write, because I just write and figure out the genre when I’m done. I also have a romantic suspense with paranormal elements I hope to have published soon about a half-gypsy woman. And I’m about to write a multi-cultural romance. I think that’s what you’d call it. I’ll have to ask my editor to be sure.:)

Just from your book cover I got the humor aspect of your story…it sounds like a winner.  Describe your writing space.

I have a desk in the corner of my living room, but it looks like a mess of papers and books piled desk height. There is just enough room on the desk to place my laptop and a iPhone speaker so I can listen to music while I write. I am one of those people that thrives in clutter, but knows exactly where everything is placed within the piles. I used to be a teacher, can you tell?

LOL…I’m just impressed–and a bit jealous–that you can listen to music while you write!  Share the blurb from PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY.

In Halo, Georgia, folks know Cherry Tucker as big in mouth, small in stature, and able to sketch a portrait faster than buckshot rips from a ten gauge — but commissions are scarce. So when the well-heeled Branson family wants to memorialize their murdered son in a coffin portrait, Cherry scrambles to win their patronage from her small town rival.

As the clock ticks toward the deadline, Cherry faces more trouble than just a controversial subject. Her rival wants to ruin her reputation, her ex-flame wants to rekindle the fire, and someone’s setting her up to take the fall. Mix in her flaky family, an illegal gambling ring, and outwitting a killer on a spree, Cherry finds herself painted into a corner she’ll be lucky to survive.

Love it! Sounds like lots of action and predicaments for Cherry. Describe your hero through your heroine’s eyes (and yes you can quote her…lol)

Luke drove me crazy in ways I didn’t appreciate. He knew how to push buttons that switched me from tough to soft, smart to dumb. He stared at me with a faint smile tugging the corners of his mouth. If I could paint those gorgeous curls and long sideburns — which will never happen, by the way — I would use a rich, raw umber with burnt sienna highlights. For his eyes, I’d mix Prussian blue and a teensy Napthal red. However, he would call his hair “plain old dark brown” and eyes “gray.” But, what does he know? Not much about art, I can tell you that.

Can I say I LOVE IT again? Of course I can, it’s my blog right?  Lol  That was a great description Larissa. What inspired you to write this story?

I was living in Japan at the time, but felt drawn to write about this gal, Cherry Tucker, from small town Georgia. My husband calls it a love letter to the South. I kept hearing and seeing Cherry, her crazy family, her sort-of ex-husband, and then the hero, Luke, came to me. Now stick with me through this part, but my father died and when I returned to my hometown to stay with my mother after the funeral, I got the idea that Cherry Tucker was an artist who had to paint a coffin portrait. I know it sounds morbid, but that’s how my mind works. Then I came up with the mystery and boom, PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY was born.

Give us 3 reasons why you think we should read your book.

It’s got a goat, hot men, and beer. Will that work?

Yep, works for me. I’m very curious about the goat and the role he/she plays!  🙂 What’s the first line and the last line in PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY?

The first: In a small town, there is a thin gray line between personal freedom and public ruin.

The last: And by business, I’m not talking about selling paintings.

Ha! Can’t get much from that now, can you?

Please share an excerpt!

I surprise myself sometimes. I’m not known for being shy or cautious, but I never imagined hanging out with a dead guy. Yet here I stood next to a coffin, bopping along to the music on my headphones while I brushed on Dustin’s underpainting in bold strokes.

“Looking good,” I sang to my painting.

My head beat along to the throbbing chords ringing from my earbuds. The purplish base color, mixed from alizarin crimson and ultramarine blue, would provide a cooler tone to Dustin’s skin and the shadowy background. I had snapped some photos of Dustin in case I needed to work at home, but using a live subject is always preferable. Or dead, in this case.

Taking a break for the first coat to dry, I covered my palette of mixed paints with a wet paper towel and grabbed a Coke from my bag. I took a deep swig, wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, and sighed. Painting made me happy. Getting paid for it made me downright ecstatic. A beer would perfect the moment, but I sucked on the Coke instead. Breaking into a funeral home to paint a dead body was bad enough. Somehow cracking into a six-pack pushed the crime into redneck realm.

Wandering over to the coffin, I took another swig and stared at Dustin. Something looked different. I scanned him again and spotted the incongruence. The pocket flap on the far side of his suit jacket was folded inside itself, a minor detail that would bug me. I should fix it. But no, thank you.

Though I wouldn’t actually have to touch Dustin. Just his pocket.

I twitched my nose. But every glance from the easel to Dustin would zone in on that stupid pocket flap. That’s a lot of glances.

A light flashed in my periphery and the hairs on my arms rose. I craned my neck toward the door, but saw nothing.

My head bobbed to the throbbing music while I fixated on the pocket flap. A light flashed again. This time I pivoted toward the darkened doorway and ducked.

Still nothing.

Perfectly reasonable to have jitters standing next to a dead man in a coffin in a dark funeral parlor. I also suspected my mind was playing tricks on me so I could procrastinate touching that pocket. The flash was a car light or something. Probably some reflection thingy I didn’t understand because I didn’t pay attention in physics.

Taking a deep breath, I turned back to the coffin. My hand hovered over the body. I reached into the coffin and tugged the edge of the flap. It caught on something.

I plunged my hand into the pocket feeling for the obstruction. The flap flipped up, and I pulled out a small gray bag. Tiny hard misshapen objects rolled between my fingers through the soft pouch.

“Eew!” I dropped the bag, shaking my hand free of the heebie-jeebies. What would feel like that?

I took another swig of Coke and grabbed hold of my nerves. Just as I lectured myself to stop messing around, a beam of light slid across the wall before me, then swung toward the ceiling.

That’s no car light. That’s a flashlight.

The hairs on the back of my neck prickled. I began to turn. One crack to my skull and the headphones popped out of my ears. My knees buckled. The Coke foamed and splashed as my body dropped.

Intense, bright colors exploded in my vision.

Cad red.

Titanium white.

And finally, Mars black.

I like your heroine already. What’s your favorite part of writing?

I’m a pantser (I write by the seat of my pants), so I love how the story unfolds as I’m writing it. I know the characters when I start, but the plot really builds by the actions of the characters as I’m writing them. It really feels magical. I hope it’s always like that when I write. I have all these characters and story ideas in my head just begging to cut loose on a page.

Do you have any writerly advice you’d like to share with a newbie author?

I think the best thing I ever did was join writers groups. You learn so much from other writers and most of the groups have classes you can take. I’m in RWA Kiss of Death, GRW (Georgia Romance Writers), and Guppies through Sisters in Crime. They are my support system and I’ve made great friends through the organizations, too.

Would you like to share a hint as to what your current WIP is? 🙂

I just finished up Cherry Tucker’s second book, STILL LIFE IN BRUNSWICK STEW, which should be out in the spring. And now I’m working on a Southern romance set in Japan. I think I’m writing that one for the food. I love Southern cooking and Japanese home cooking. I’ll viscerally live through my characters meals.

And finally, where can we find you and your book(s)?

You can find more information on my website at larissareinhart.com. But when I’m not writing about southern fried chicken, I write about Asian fried chicken at my blog about life as an ex-expat at theexpatreturneth.blogspot.com.

My writing friends and I also chat weekly about books on Little Read Hens Facebook page and littlereadhens.com.

Amazon in Print and Ebook

And you can always find me chatting on Facebook; Twitter; and Goodreads. I love pinning on my Cherry Tucker and other boards at Pinterest. Cherry Tucker even has her own Pinterest site! If you find DIY clothes or Southern recipes you’d think Cherry would like, @LarissaReinhart in the comments and I’ll pin it on my boards!

Thank you for joining me today!  I’m so glad you visited!

Thanks for having me! That was fun!

Posted by on September 5, 2012 in What to Read Wednesday

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

September 5, 2012 at 7:35 am

I absolutely LOVE the cover! And this book sounds really intriguing. It kind of puts me in mind of Stephanie Plum from Janet Evanovich’s series (which I love). I visited your website too. Love the design.

Congrats on your release!

September 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

Hi Sharon! Thanks so much. I have a very talented editor who also does covers. I love Stephanie Plum. Picture her shorter, with blonde hair, and carrying a shotgun while wearing bedazzled clothing. There’s Cherry.

September 5, 2012 at 8:17 am

Oh, and add a southern accent;)

September 5, 2012 at 8:29 am

LOL…love the bedazzled clothing Larissa!

Thanks for coming by Sharon…I’m with you…this book is another on to add to my TBR pile….

September 5, 2012 at 7:58 am

You had me at the goat! Sounds like an awesome story!

September 5, 2012 at 8:17 am

Wow! I thought it’d be the beer or hot men that’d pull you in, Ceri. Just kidding. Thanks for commenting.

September 5, 2012 at 8:29 am

That got me too Ceri! lol..glad you came by!

September 5, 2012 at 8:06 am

I love the tone of this story!! Gonna read it for sure!! Thanks for sharing with us today and so nice to meet a new author 🙂

September 5, 2012 at 8:18 am

Hi Jennifer! Nice to meet you, too. Thanks so much for commenting.

September 5, 2012 at 8:30 am

Glad you came by Jennifer…and glad you added Larissa’s book to your radar!

4. Katherine Grey

September 5, 2012 at 8:12 am

Great interview, ladies. Larissa, your story sounds great. I loved the excerpt. Hope you have lots of sales. 😮

September 5, 2012 at 8:19 am

Hi Katherine! Thanks so much. And thanks for commenting today.

September 5, 2012 at 8:30 am

Appreciate you coming by Katherine….thank you 🙂

5. Larissa Reinhart

September 5, 2012 at 8:13 am

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for having me on What To Read Wednesday, Christine! I’m so happy to be here!

September 5, 2012 at 8:31 am

Larissa…I’m glad to have you here! I have a feeling it’s going to be a fun day 🙂

6. margeryscott

September 5, 2012 at 8:14 am

Hi Larissa, love the interview and the excerpt. I’ve just started reading cozies and really enjoying them. Good luck with your book.

September 5, 2012 at 8:20 am

Hi Margery,
      Thanks so much. Glad you like cozies. I enjoy them, too. They’re a fun read.

September 5, 2012 at 8:31 am

Glad you dropped by Margery. I haven’t read a cozy yet, so Larissa’s will be my first and I’m looking forward to it.

7. Pamela

September 5, 2012 at 8:47 am

Hi Larissa, Can’t wait to read this book, it has everything I love. The cover is awesome also. Cozies are my favorite reading.

September 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

Hi Pamela,
      Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy Cherry Tucker’s first adventure! She’s been a lot of fun to write.

September 5, 2012 at 10:02 am

Larissa, Cherry sounds like she was fun to write…and I’m with Pamela…can’t wait to read this one!

8. Anise Rae

September 5, 2012 at 8:54 am

I’m a big Cherry Tucker fan! Love her!

I can’t help wondering though . . . if you’re writing the Southern romance in Japan for the food, does that mean you wrote Cherry for . . . . the bedazzling? 😉

September 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

LOL! I wrote Cherry for the bedazzling and the beer. I can’t drink much anymore so I have to drink vicariously through her;) However, in her second book I have to up the ante on her bedazzling, which has been hard. I’ve been turning to Pinterest more and more for ideas.

September 5, 2012 at 10:02 am

LOL….this only makes me want to read Larissa’s book more! Thanks for coming by Anise 🙂

9. LynDee Walker

September 5, 2012 at 8:58 am

Great interview, Larissa! Cherry is such fun. Y’all get this book — you won’t be able to put it down!

September 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

Thanks so much LynDee! I can’t wait to FRONT PAGE FATALITY!

10. Neecy Kelly

September 5, 2012 at 9:06 am

Portrait of a Dead Guy sounds like my kind of read. Wow to Japan three times… very cool. My brother-in-law’s brother and wife adopted two girls from China. So sad how they are kept in cribs…and…it’s just very sad…
    Good luck with your sales, Larissa.

September 5, 2012 at 9:14 am

Hi Neecy!
      Thanks for stopping in. Hope your BIL’s brother is enjoying his girls. Mine are such a blessing. They adapted quickly as babies through lead poisoning, tainted formula, and anemia. Now they roll their eyes, talk back, and fixate on computer games just like every other American kid. But really, they are awesome kids and I’m so glad to be their mother.

September 5, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks for coming by Denice! oxo

11. Tereasa Bellew

September 5, 2012 at 9:13 am

OMGosh that was so fun! Larissa I love the scene and get ‘don knotts’ shakes as the flashlight beams around the funeral parlor! Great wishes to you for much sucess! I’ll be checking those southern recipes for sure!
    Tere

September 5, 2012 at 9:57 am

Thanks Tere! I love your “Don Knots” shakes! Didn’t think about that while I was writing it, but will always think of that now! Thanks for stopping in.

September 5, 2012 at 10:04 am

Hey Tere…love the ‘Don Knotts” shakes too..great visual. Thanks so much for coming by 🙂

September 5, 2012 at 9:44 am

Fabulous cover! Can’t wait to read this one. Best of luck with it.

13. Terri L. Austin

September 5, 2012 at 9:47 am

Great interview, Larissa! I’ve read Portrait of a Dead Guy and loved it so much. Can’t wait for the second Cherry Tucker book. I hope there will be more hot men, beer, and please bring back the goat! LOL! Congrats and best of luck!

September 5, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thanks Terri! And I can’t wait for LAST DINER STANDING! It will be out before you know it!

And definitely more beer, hotter men, and more goats in the next Cherry Tucker mystery.

September 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

There’s that goat again….I’m so intrigued!

Thanks for coming by with a testimonial Terri….

14. kristinaknightauthor

September 5, 2012 at 10:07 am

what a fun cover – and a great interview. Love the humorous edge to your titles!

September 5, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thanks so much Kristina! I am a fan of humor. Thanks for stopping in!

September 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

So glad you came by..on your B-day even! Thanks Kristi (Happy Birthday)

15. pamelavmason

September 5, 2012 at 10:16 am

LOVE that excerpt! I felt that… creepy feeling, standing next to the coffin. I don’t think I would’ve been as brave – probably would’ve poked at the pocket with something like a stick. LOL!

September 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

Hi Pamela! I wouldn’t be that brave either. I wouldn’t even stay in the same room. I do have a family friend who is a photographer who actually had to photograph a coffin portrait (the family wanted to send it to their extended family overseas). He climbed up on the coffin to take the portrait! I find that funny. But would never do it;)

• pamelavmason

September 5, 2012 at 10:43 am

Yeeeeaaarrs ago, I once made a comment on a photo that was propped up in a colleague’s window sill. I said, innocently enough, “What a lovely baby.”
        You know where this is going right?
        I would have appreciated it if the floor beneath my feet had opened and swallowed me down, because I was never so mortified .
        Looked like she was sleeping, all dressed up….

September 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

OH MY GOODNESS! What a story Pamela! That’s much worse than asking when the pregnant lady is due and finding out she’s not pregnant…

16. Joy Isley

September 5, 2012 at 11:53 am

Enjoyed reading the comments.
    I am always looking for new authors to read and your book sounds really good. Would love to read it.

September 5, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Thanks Joy! Hope you do read it & I hope you enjoy it!
      Larissa

September 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for stopping in Joy…Larissa’s book sounds like a definite “must read” 🙂

September 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Best of luck with your book. Very interesting interview.

18. CheryseDurrantAuthor (@CheryseDurrant)

September 5, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Wow, Larissa! Your blurb sounds SO MUCH MORE than a humorous mystery with a heavy dose of romance. It sounds awesome, congratulations!

September 5, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thanks so much Cheryse! I hope everyone enjoys Cherry Tucker’s first mystery. She’s a lot of fun to write. Thanks for stopping in, too.

September 5, 2012 at 6:45 pm

You hit the nail on the head Cher….thanks so much for coming by and commenting 🙂

19. ChristineWarner

September 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Larissa, I want to thank you again for coming visiting What to Read Wednesday! I enjoyed having you visit and would love to invite you back when your next book releases 🙂

And to everyone else, as soon as we have a winner for a copy of PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY, we’ll post it here and also email the lucky winner!

HAPPY WEDNESDAY!!!

September 5, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Thanks so much Christine! You have a great bunch of readers and I really enjoyed chatting with everyone. Thanks for having me here!

20. Sara Walter Ellwood

September 5, 2012 at 9:30 pm

What a great interview. Good luck with your book!

21. D'Ann Lindun

September 5, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Love It! I’ll have to get ths one!

September 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

Me too D’Ann…thanks so much for coming by!

22. ChristineWarner

September 6, 2012 at 5:57 pm

DRUM ROLL PLEASE…………the lucky winner of a copy of PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY is……..

KRISTI KNIGHT!