26 Sep

Happy Wednesday!!! Today, I’m excited because I’m shaking up the format again on What to Read Wednesday. I have been offering the authors visiting the option of being interviewed or writing a guest blog.

And today we have the wonderful Diane Burton, another Michigander like me, in the house.  Diane’s written an interesting piece about HUMOR!  So sit back and enjoy her post and then at the end you can read the blurb and excerpt from her latest release SWITCHED, TOO!

So, without further ado, take it away Diane!!!!

Humor

Christine gave me a free rein on topics. I think this one is particularly apropos considering my host’s work. What is it about humor that appeals to so many yet eludes others? I was a serious child. Oldest of seven, the one left in charge, the responsible one. That carried over into my adult life. Until I met a certain guy with a wicked sense of humor. He could tease me out of my seriousness and helped me find my own sense of humor. I was smart enough to grab onto that guy and we’ve been married for nearly forty years. I’m still too serious at times in real life, but I can let go in my writing.

While I love science fiction movies, like Star Trek, Star Wars and Serenity (Firefly), romantic comedy is my favorite type of movie. Romancing the Stone, It’s Complicated, Something’s Gotta Give, Six Days, Seven Nights. Falling in love is serious business, but without that spark of humor it came be maudlin. Humor comes in many forms. Give me wicked banter any day over slapstick. I never understood the appeal of the Three Stooges. Maybe that’s a guy thing. I loved the Saturday morning cartoon Rocky & Bullwinkle because of the dialogue. Same with the Muppet Movie. When they were young, I took my children to see that movie at an afternoon matinee. The best part was the dad behind me who, along with the few other adults in the theater, couldn’t stop laughing at all the “good” parts—like “gone with the Schwin.” I love that the writers of children’s movies slip in the comedic touches for the adults.

I said I’m not fond of slapstick, so how do you explain my love of the Stephanie Plum series? The physical comedy is laugh out loud funny. Author Janet Evanovich knows how to take a situation, twist it, turn it on its ear and make it hilarious. I should never read those books in bed because the bed shakes from holding in my laughter—don’t want to wake the guy with laughing out loud.

Life is serious. The news every night keeps getting grimmer and more disturbing. Comedy is an antidote to life. The value of humor is vastly underrated. In fact, rarely has a comedy won an Oscar. Same with actors whose forte is their comedic timing. What do they receive awards for? Their dramatic work.

Medical studies tell us that laughter releases endorphins, nature’s natural pain killers. Laughter relaxes the skeletal system, reduces stress, lowers the blood pressure and regulates the heart rate. According to inspirational speaker Marilyn Meburg, your liver needs laughter because it gets no exercise. The liver is the organ in your body that gets rid of toxins. So, if you’re not laughing you’re neglecting your liver.

Give your liver and the rest of your body that antidote to “real life” and enjoy a good comedy.

What are your favorite comedy books or movies?

Blurb for Switched, Too

Be careful what you wish for…you might get it.

Scott Cherella’s lifelong dream to go into space quickly becomes a nightmare. Veronese Qilana must protect him, a Terran masquerading as a starship captain. When sabotage erupts, they must work together to get the crew safely home. In doing so, they discover opposites really do attract.

In this excerpt from Switched, Too, it’s Scott Cherella’s first day pretending to be his twin as commander of a starship. In this scene, he depends on an alien, who is enamored with American entertainment, to help him through the complexities of his first meal.

“I will eat here.” Scott selected a corner table, away from those that were occupied. Once they were seated, he nodded to his companion. “You may order for us.”

Drakus looked flabbergasted. “But, sir, I do not know what you wish to eat.”

“Surprise me.”

Drakus shook his head then pressed a small square pad flush with the tabletop. “Two hot selerias and Mid-Day Repast for the captain.”

Scott settled back in his chair. “Playing it safe, Drakus?”

Moments later, a robot server rolled between the tables, a tray clutched in its metal appendages. The robot set cups of steaming liquid in front of them then departed.

Scott picked up the mug and sniffed the dark green depths. Fragrant, gingery maybe. He took a sip.

“Captain,” Drakus began hesitantly. “I have noticed your speech is peppered with American slang. I mean no disrespect, but you didn’t act or look this different before you went to Earth. May I ask why you decided to come out of the closet?”

Switched, Too is available at  Amazon Barnes & Noble and Smashwords

Bio:

Diane Burton combines her love of mystery, adventure, science fiction, and romance into writing romantic fiction. She’s a member of Romance Writers of America as well as the Mid-Michigan RWA and Young Adult RWA chapters. She is the author of the Switched series, about twins exchanging places—from Earth to a starship and the reverse. The first two books, Switched and Switched, Too, are available as e-books. The concluding book is a work in progress. She is also a contributor to the anthology How I Met My Husband. Diane and her husband live in Michigan. They have two children and two grandchildren.

Diane can be found around the Internet at:

www.dianeburton.com

Goodreads: Diane Burton Author

Posted by on September 26, 2012 in Book Excerpts, What to Read Wednesday

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. lynncahoon

September 26, 2012 at 7:03 am

Laughter is such a stress buster. Great post. I don’t watch the news anymore. Too depressing.

September 26, 2012 at 7:46 am

I agree. Thanks for stopping by, Lynn. I’ll see you tomorrow on my blog. 🙂

September 26, 2012 at 10:53 am

That’s the truth Lynn…nothing better than true humor! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

2. Jessica Subject

September 26, 2012 at 7:23 am

Great post, Diane! I’ve ready many of the Stephanie Plum books, and it was the humor that kept me coming back. As for humorous movies, I’ve enjoyed The Ugly Truth, What Women Want, and many more. All the best!

3. R.T. Wolfe

September 26, 2012 at 7:24 am

Diane,
    Laugh or cry. It’s my motto. 🙂 Great post.
    -R.T. Wolfe

September 26, 2012 at 7:48 am

I love laughing so hard I’m crying. Thanks, R.T.

September 26, 2012 at 10:55 am

LOL…I like your comment Diane…that’s the best kind of laughter! R.T. Great motto!

4. Loralee Lillibridge

September 26, 2012 at 7:41 am

Great blog, Diane. And thanks to Christine for giving you “free rein” with the post. Humor is a necessary ingredient in Life, in order to cope with the serious stuff. Can’t imagine getting by without it. Your Switched books are excellent examples of using humor in writing.

5. Diane Burton

September 26, 2012 at 8:00 am

Christine, thanks so much for having me here. You are so supportive of fellow authors.

September 26, 2012 at 10:57 am

Thanks Diane….I just love meeting new authors…so it’s a win/win for all of us! (I hope *wink*)

6. nancygideon

September 26, 2012 at 9:06 am

I LOVE smart humor. Give me a Murphy Brown or Designing Women over much of the drek on TV today. Not funny and sometimes painful to endure. Just watched the horror movie Cabin in the Woods, which I normally wouldn’t have enjoyed except for the surprising humor (Joss Wheden, duh!). Humor should elevate and compliment tension. Its the best part of writing weighy material.

September 26, 2012 at 9:19 am

Yes. Where are the writers of Murphy Brown, et al.? It seems like some shows go for the cheap laugh. Thanks for sharing, Nancy.

September 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

Well said Nancy!

7. Rohn Federbush

September 26, 2012 at 9:23 am

Love those endorphins. The word reminds me of dolphins leaping. Rohn Federbush

8. Mari Collier

September 26, 2012 at 9:37 am

Laughter with your beloved is the best. We could look at something and both see the humor. Other people would be puzzled as to why two people were laughing.

9. chitsuen

September 26, 2012 at 9:46 am

Very nice post, Diane. I love humor in my books and movies. Life in serious enough. We all need a break from it. 🙂

September 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thanks for your comment.

September 26, 2012 at 11:00 am

Exactly Melissa…even in tension filled situations it’s a nice relief if you know how to keep it in check! lol

10. sarahballance

September 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

I have woken my husband laughing at a book. Sadly, I can even be normal in that sense because usually it’s some obscure line probably never meant to be funny in the first place, yet it strikes me funny and I giggle for days. LOL! Thank you for this post, Diane, and thank you Christine for introducing us!

September 26, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh, Sarah, I know what you mean. Thanks for stopping by.

September 26, 2012 at 11:01 am

Glad you came by Sarah! You’re story reminds me of a time years ago when I was sleeping and laughing so loud I woke my husband up. He in turn woke me up because he said I was having too good of a time! LMBO…I never did remember what I was dreaming about!

September 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

When given a choice, I’ll chose laughter every time. Great post, ladies!

12. Gerri Bowen

September 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

Oh, I loved that last line, Diane!

September 26, 2012 at 11:12 am

Thanks, Gerri. Drakus is my favorite character. Of course I love my heroes and heroines, but that little alien with his penchant for American slang tickles my funny bone.

September 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Glad you dropped by Gerri…and I’m with you..that was a great last line!

September 26, 2012 at 11:22 am

I love the Stephanie Plum series! And I agree, laugh out loud funny and not a book to read in bed. LOL.

14. Patricia Kiyono

September 26, 2012 at 11:51 am

I would much rather read a comedy than a thriller. And both the Switched books deliver just enough comedy to make me smile, but not so much that I forgot it was a romance. Great post.

September 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Thanks so much, Patty.

September 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I always love hearing a testimonial from someone who has read the book…thanks for sharing Patricia!

September 26, 2012 at 11:55 am

Fabulous interview, ladies!! I love books that make me laugh because I don’t have that natural humor. My dad and sister do! One of my favorite books of all times that had me laughing so hard tears were rolling down my cheeks was Just Once by Jill Marie Landis! Can’t wait to read Switched!

September 26, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Thanks, Jennifer. I’ll have to look for Just Once.

September 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Thanks for the recommendation….there’s nothing like a book that can make you laugh…it’s almost more talented that an author can do than with their writing than an actor can do that with their acting. If that makes sense! lmbo

September 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm

laughter is the best way to de-stress, I think! Thanks for sharing your book with us today, Diane, and best of luck!

September 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Kristina.

September 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Hi Kristi, thanks so much for stopping by!

September 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Lovely post, Diane. I loved the original Muppet movie and the show (though there were many humorous parts I didn’t understand until I watched them as an adult). Some of my favorite movies are While You Were Sleeping, 27 Dresses, Enchanted, and of course, The Princess Bride. I would love to find another series of books as funny as the Stephanie Plum series. Best of luck with Switched! Sounds fabulous.

September 26, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Thanks, Ally. The Princess Bride is one of my favs. I think the 25th anniversary was yesterday. You can always depend on Rob Reiner for a good comedy.

September 26, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Ally, I love the same movies…but I have a confession…I’ve never seen The Princess Bride!

September 26, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Hi Diane (she waves). I love humor in books, and try to put them in mine as much as possible. One of my favorite funny ones is The Perfect Wife by Lynsay Sands. The first time I read it I was in bed, and laughed so hard I woke my husband up. I’ve read it a couple of more times since then. Best of luck with Switched, Too.

19. Alicia Dean

September 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Hi Diane…great post. I don’t read a lot of humorous books, but I’ll admit, I thought Switched was quite amusing. I also love to read stories from my very funny author friend, Natasha Deen. I do, however, LOVE funny movies and sitcoms. Also love a good stand up comedian. I love romantic comedies, but they don’t really make me LOL. Horrible Bosses is one of the funniest movies I’ve seen recently. Side splitting. There are still some pretty funny sitcoms on tv these days, or at least, IMO. But, humor doesn’t really have to be intelligent to make me laugh. I just enjoy the stress release and the relaxation of watching mindless comedies. Some of the new shows I like are Men at Work, Happy Endings, The Big Bang Theory (although not really new). I also love Rules of Engagement. Well, I’ve gabbed way too much. 🙂 (BTW, I also DO NOT GET Stooges humor. I think it must be a guy thing. Slapstick is not funny to me)

September 26, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for mentioning stand-up comedians. Rita Rudner is a hoot.

September 26, 2012 at 10:41 pm

LMBO…Alicia I truly believe the Stooges is a guy thing…when my hubs is tuning into that I leave the room. I just don’t even find it amusing. Thanks for coming by!

20. Lisa Rayns

September 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Love some of the movies you mentioned. Something’d Gotta Give is one of my favorites.

September 26, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Lisa.

September 26, 2012 at 10:41 pm

That is a good one. Glad you stopped by Lisa!

September 26, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Awesome interview and excerpt!!

September 26, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Wonderful to ‘meet’ you, Diane. I’m a huge fan of Reader’s Digest, Laughter is the best Medicine. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject, and you book. 🙂 Love the new open post policy, Christine.

September 26, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I always read RD’s Laughter, Humor in Uniform, etc. at the doctor’s office. Thanks for the memories, Calisa, and thanks for stopping by.

September 26, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I know you won’t believe this Calisa (because we already have way to much in common…lol) but I love RD too 🙂 Surprise! hahahaha

23. Diane Burton

September 26, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Christine, this has been great fun. Thanks so much.

September 26, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Diane, I’m so glad you visited today! I had a wonderful time too. I’m sorry I was MIA for awhile due to my lovely internet deciding to take a 5 hour dinner break…I missed out on a lot of fun conversation! lol

Remember, anytime you want to return, just let me know!

September 27, 2012 at 7:23 am

Your internet, too? What a pain. The great thing is we can come back and see what we missed. Have a great day.

24. Lana Miersen

September 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I’m privileged to be Diane’s critique partner so I get to see samples of her often wacky, laugh till my eyes tear up humor before anyone else. I never wear mascara to our critique sessions because I don’t want to leave looking like a raccoon.

Spot on blog about humor, Di. I also enjoy Janet Evanovich’s books. Two other top favs are Jennifer Crusie and Carl HIaasen. My two top film romantic comedies of all time are “Some Like it Hot” and “Singin’ in the Rain.” On the tube, my favs were “Bosom Buddies” (a young Tom Hanks in drag–LOL) and “Mad About You.”

September 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Wacky, that’s me. LOL I absolutely love the last line of Some Like It Hot. Makes me laugh every time.