31 Oct

Thank you for joining me for another round of What to Read Wednesday 🙂  As you know, there are times I like to shake things up and today is one of those “shaker” days. Instead of interviewing my guest today, I’m turning the floor over to her.

So, please help me in welcoming back author Callie Hutton. She’s here sharing her latest book titled MISS MERRY’S CHRISTMAS, which just released today. We’re lucky to be the first to get a sneak peek with a blurb and excerpt and afterward she’s sharing a Christmas poem to put us in the spirit!

Oh, and before I forget to share…Callie is giving away one copy of her novella A WIFE BY CHRISTMAS to a lucky commenter!

England, 1817.  David Worthington, Duke of Penrose dislikes Miss Meredith Chambers, the American governess who accompanied his new wards. He especially detests his attraction to the insufferable woman, and is anxious for her replacement to arrive.

Merry is thrilled when the Dowager Duchess Penrose hires her as a companion. Now she can stay with her beloved charges. But can she ignore how her heart thumps when the pompous duke gets close?

Two people determined to ignore each other, despite the pull between them, and the sparks that fly whenever they’re together.

A short snippet:

“There you both are. I wanted to speak with Miss Chambers, but since she’s right here with you, I can talk to you both at the same time.”

Penrose stood and waved his mother to his seat.

“Tea?” Miss Chambers asked.

“Yes, dear, that would be lovely.”

He moved to the fireplace, resting his arm on the mantle, waiting for his mother to continue.

“With it being the beginning of December, I would like to begin preparations for our Christmas ball.” She leaned closer to Miss Chambers. “We always have a lovely ball on Christmas Eve. We invite all the gentry in the county, and several peers who are within driving distance. It’s such fun. The decorations are a huge undertaking, but I engage a few of the tenants’ sons to accompany our footmen to gather greens and berries. Then the wives and daughters bring baked goods from ingredients made available to them. Some of them even help in the kitchen. But, Cook is very fussy as to whom she lets into her domain.” The dowager laughed, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

“That sounds lovely.” Miss Chambers’ blotches had faded, but now a flush of excitement decorated her cheeks.

“I don’t wish to dampen your spirits, Mother, but Miss Chambers will most likely be at her new post by Christmas.”

His mother’s eyes darted from Miss Chambers to him. “No, dear. Miss Chambers will definitely be here for Christmas.”

Penrose raised his eyebrows. “Indeed?”

“Of course. I’ve hired Miss Chambers−Merry as she’s asked me to call her−as my companion.” She smiled brightly.

His head swung toward Miss Chambers who shrugged and tilted her lips in a slight smile.

Devil take it!

Now for a bit of silliness, here is a Christmas poem I wrote and called The Author’s Lament:

‘Twas the night before Christmas,

And the author said ‘damn’

I need to get this book

Into my publisher’s hands

Her children were nestled all snug in their beds,

While she got two aspirins for the pain in her head,

Mama in her kerchief and papa in his cap,

She hoped this last revision would be but a snap

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,

She hopped from her laptop to see what the hell happened now!

The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow,

Gave a luster of midday to objects below,

When what to her wondering eyes should appear

But her hero dressed as Santa without any beard−or shirt

His eyes, how they twinkled! His dimples how cool!

His cheeks were like roses, his chest made her drool

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,

Fixing the scene where she’d made him a jerk,

And laying his finger under her chin,

He gave her a kiss as wicked as sin,

He sprang to his horse, to his horse gave a whistle,

And left her alone with nothing but sizzle.

But she heard him exclaim, ere he rode out of sight

Get your ass back to work, it will be a long night.

Callie has been making up stories since elementary school, and writing gave her a way to turn off the voices in her head.  She’s had a number of articles and interviews published over the years, and finally decided to put her writing skills to the test and write novels.

Oklahoma is where she hangs her hat with her husband of thirty-six years, two young adult children, and three dogs.

You can catch her hanging out at Facebook, Twitter- @CallieHutton, and her home base, www.calliehutton.com. Stop by sometime and say hello.

Books by Callie Hutton can be found on her Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Callie-Hutton/e/B006O2IF2I/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1350824468&sr=1-2-ent  as well as at www.Barnes&Noble.com.

I will offer a download of my 2011 Christmas novella, A Wife By Christmas to one lucky commenter.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Cait

October 31, 2012 at 6:00 am

I’m giggling as I type, fab interview and hey, who knew Santa could be so em…accommodating 🙂 She hopped from my laptop to see what the hell had happened now. (How often do I use that phrase — what the hell?!)

2. Loralee Lillibridge

October 31, 2012 at 6:16 am

Wonderful post, Callie. Miss Merry’s Christmas sounds like a terrific book. And I loved the poem!

3. Callie Hutton (@Calliehutton)

October 31, 2012 at 6:48 am

Hey Christine (she waves). Thank you so much for having me today on Release Day! In about another hour or so, I’ll be off line until after noontime (central). I’ll catch up with everyone then.

October 31, 2012 at 7:04 am

HAPPY RELEASE DAY Callie…glad to have you here for your special day!

October 31, 2012 at 7:12 am

LOL! LOVED the poem! And the excerpt! Great start to my day, ladies! Thank you! Congrats on the release, Callie, and I can’t wait to read this book! I love Christmas stories 🙂

October 31, 2012 at 7:15 am

Glad Callie helped you get your day started out right! Thanks for coming by Jennifer 🙂

• Callie Hutton (@Calliehutton)

October 31, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks, Jennifer. I know I’m jumping the gun, but hey, I heard “White Christmas” on the loudspeaker at Walmart this week!

5. Cera duBois

October 31, 2012 at 7:36 am

Loved this! Congratulations, Callie!!! And good luck. This sounds like such a great read.

October 31, 2012 at 8:23 am

Ha! Loved this, Callie and Christine! Callie, good luck with your book, sounds like a fab read!

October 31, 2012 at 9:11 am

So happy you enjoyed Calie’s visit Kristi…thanks for coming by!

7. chitsuen

October 31, 2012 at 9:04 am

I loved the blurb and excerpt and the cover’s very pretty. Sounds like a fun, Christmas read. I’ll be sure to check this one out.

8. Diane Burton

October 31, 2012 at 9:13 am

Got a chuckle out of the poem. Smart Santa. Good luck with your book, Callie.

9. Tereasa Bellew

October 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

Hi Callie~
    I love Christmas time and especially Christmas stories. Miss Merry Christmas sounds great and what a beautiful cover! Really got a chuckle out of the poem. Gread job and best wishes!

10. Mae Clair

October 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oooh, I love anything romance and Christmasy. And with a pompus Duke yet! Congrats on the release, it sounds wonderful. And I enjoyed the heck out of the poem. Thanks for a fun way to start my day! 🙂

October 31, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Love the cover and the title!

• Callie Hutton (@Calliehutton)

October 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Thanks, Sharon. Glad you could visit.

October 31, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Agreed….the title is very catchy and Callie always has nice covers for her books 🙂 Thanks so much for dropping by Sharon!

12. ellaquinnauthor

October 31, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Great book.

13. B.J. ScottBarb

October 31, 2012 at 7:01 pm

So excited for you Callie!!! looking forward to reading it.

Best of luck with sales. Having read your other books, I know people will not be disapointed.

October 31, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Loved the poem! Miss Merry’s Christmas is wonderful. Best of luck with it.

October 31, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I’ve been trying all day to find time to come say what a great story this sounds like, Callie! I can’t wait to read it. Love the poem and congrats on your virgin jump into self publishing! 😀

November 1, 2012 at 7:43 am

The poem was fun! Thanks for coming by Calisa!

16. ChristineWarner

November 1, 2012 at 7:44 am

CONGRATULATIONS to MAE CLAIR for winning the drawing for Callie’s A WIFE BY CHRISTMAS! Mae, Callie will be in touch shortly….happy reading 🙂

17. Air Conditioning Repair Louisville

August 7, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I have been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I
    never found any interesting article like yours. It
    is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and
    bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be a lot more useful than ever before.