19 Dec

WOW…it’s the last Wednesday before Christmas and the 2nd to the last Wednesday of 2012. 🙂  As you know, there are times I like to shake things up and today is one of those “shaker” days. Instead of interviewing my guest today, I’m turning the floor over to her.

Please help me in welcoming my wonderful friend, another Words With Friends addict, and Kristi1CRIMSON ROMANCE author Kristina Knight. She’s written a fantastic guest blog we will all can relate to. Afterward, please stay tuned to read a blurb and excerpt from Kristina’s bright, shiny, new release WHAT A TEXAS GIRL NEEDS and don’t forget to answer the question she poses at the end!

Take it away Kristi!!!

Title??????
I’m a woman of many hats. The metaphorical sort, not the actual head-wear sort because I’ve found – in my case at least – hats are mostly a mistake. I was tempted to join in the craze during Will & Kate’s royal wedding last year…but I kept myself under control because, fascinating fascinators or not, they were still hats…and my head is just not made for them.
But I digress.
I wear a lot of hats. I’m a freelance writer. A mom. And aspiring romance novelist. A wife. A radio station DJ. A friend. A fitness instructor. A daughter. The list goes on, and mostly I can keep it under control. I don’t have to be a friend and a daughter and a wife and a writer and a DJ all at the same time. Sometimes I want to. . .but I know I can’t be all those things at the same time. So I compartmentalize. I focus on the task at hand when its at hand.
One of my guilty pleasures is the reality show ‘Dance Moms’. Don’t get me started, I could go on for hours. But it amazes me the ability the kids have of taking the task at hand – a solo dance, a group dance, whatever – and run with it. They focus. They execute. They cry because it’s what kids do. But they get it done.
I’m in awe of those kids because, even during my best compartmentalizing moments, I’m not always fully committed. I get distracted by a story idea or a demanding four year old or a call from back home or. . .well, fill in the blank.
My heroine from What a Texas Girl Needs is also a metaphorical hat-wearer. Although Vanessa would also choose a really cool fascinator to wear, too, because she’s a bit of a fashionista. And in the book she’s figuring out what hat (or hats) fit her best…here’s a little taste:

What a Texas girl wantsBlurb: What a Texas Girl Needs
Vanessa Witte is ready to finally claim her life. The middle of three daughters born into the Witte family – a powerful Texas name – she’s been content to float through life. Being dumped by her shady ex? A blessing in disguise. Having a one-night-stand with Matias Barnes? Not one of her more stellar moments. But she’s back in Lockhardt with a secret and a reason to start fresh: A baby.
Matias Barnes knows all about society women – it’s part of the reason he left his wealthy family behind and took a job on a ranch. He doesn’t like the endless string of parties, the inane conversation, or the gold-digging tricks those women have perfected. But that doesn’t stop him from wanting Vanessa Witte. Mat knows she’s so not right for him, but with her back in Lockhardt, can he resist her charms long enough to really let her go?

Excerpt:
“I’ll take the bill, Vern,” she said, holding out her hand. It was about time she started paying her own way. One tank of gas wouldn’t exactly repay the family, but it was a start. Added bonus, paying her own bills might help overhaul the character she’d found so seriously lacking in the last few months.
            “It’s easier for ol’ Mitch to keep his records if I just add it to the ranch total.”
            “I’m not a ranch employee. This isn’t a ranch vehicle. I’ll take the bill.” Vanessa couldn’t remember ever paying for a tank of gas here. Come to think of it, unless she was trying to impress someone, she had rarely paid for anything to this point in her life.
            Vern handed her the receipt. Fifty bucks? Holy crap, how much did gas cost? Stupid question, Van, obviously it costs fifty dollars. She reached into her bag for her credit card and then remembered that was part and parcel of the Witte upbringing. Paying with Grandfather’s credit card? Not character building. She pawed through the baby blue Coach bag but only came up with two twenties and some loose change.
            Damn.
            “Just charge it to the ranch, Vern.” Mat Barnes’s voice echoed under the station’s overhang, chilling Vanessa. “The Double Diamond will cover it.” We always cover her bills, his tone implied.
            Vanessa squeezed her eyes closed and swallowed. Her fingers closed over another bill. Please let it be a twenty. Or a ten. She opened her eyes.
            Three twenties. Triumph!
            “I’ve got it Mr. Barnes, thank you,” she said, chilling her voice as she handed the cash to Vern. He looked from Mat to Vanessa, obviously confused over what was going on between them. Vanessa held his gaze for a moment. Vern took the cash and hurried inside.
            “I think we’re past the ‘Mr. Barnes’ stage, don’t you?” Mat watched her from beneath the tipped-low brim on his cowboy hat, his coal-black eyes boring straight to her soul. Yes, they were past the Mr. or Miss stage, technically, but not calling him Mat helped her keep her distance.
            The way her heart raced at the mere sight of him she desperately needed that space.
            She looked away, crossing her arms over her chest. Her gaze caught on the frayed edge of his jeans—which were worn in all the right places, she noted—and today’s tee, tight across his shoulders, read, ‘Chicks Dig Scars’ over his well-muscled chest.
            Who was she kidding? Calling him Mr. Barnes didn’t keep her from noticing just how delectable Mat was. Nothing could do that. Not in broad daylight. Certainly not the twinkling fairy lights during Kathleen’s wedding reception.
            “I don’t think a night spent in my grandfather’s hayloft makes us best buddies,” she said, hoping against hope he would just leave her alone.
            “Ahh, but what we did in that hayloft is another matter.” He lounged against the side of her Porsche as if he might stay there forever.
Buy Links:

What about you? Do you wear many hats? And how do you keep your different selves all happy and healthy and . . . well, under control?
Author Bio:
Once upon a time, Kristina Knight spent her days running from car crash to fire to meetings with local police–no, she wasn’t a troublemaker, she was a journalist. When the opportunity to focus a bit of energy on the stories in her head, she jumped at it. And she’s never looked back. Now she writes magazine articles by day and romance novels with spice by night. She lives on Lake Erie with her husband and three-year-old daughter. Happily ever after.
Find Kristina online:

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Pamela Hargraves

December 19, 2012 at 6:40 am

Yes I also wear amny hats. Mom, wife, daughter, sister, employee and sometimes just me! It is hard to keep them all in balance but I do the best I can, no real secret just work at it.

December 19, 2012 at 9:15 am

And some days the hats fit better than others. lol. Thanks so much for coming by Pamela 🙂

• Kristina Knight

December 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

that’s my theory, too, Pamela! Thanks for stopping by!

2. Diane Burton

December 19, 2012 at 7:48 am

Thought -provoking post, Kristina. I used to wear way too many hats and have no idea how I did it. I do know that by trying to be all to everyone I shorted myself and my writing. I think you have to set up priorities. What are the most important things in your life and then list where you spend your time. Do they match?

Wishing you the best with What a Texas Girl Needs.

December 19, 2012 at 9:15 am

Wonderful advice Diane. So glad you dropped in.

• Kristina Knight

December 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

great advice, Diane! I do set priorities – and I’m getting a *little* better at saying no…

3. Jenna Jaxon

December 19, 2012 at 8:46 am

I too wear multiple hats–and boy, do they fight for wear time! Novelist is the most pushy one, always wanting to be on top. LOL Mom, director, teacher, wife, mentor, friend…you’re right, the list does go on. I guess circumstances dictate which one gets worn. Doesn’t mean the others like it. 🙂 Great post, Kristi! I enjoyed your excerpt immensely!

December 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

Thanks for coming by Jenna!

• Kristina Knight

December 19, 2012 at 9:36 am

thanks, jenna! And I agree with Christine – sometimes the hats fit better than others!! My novelist hat *definitely* likes to be worn the most…

December 19, 2012 at 9:14 am

Great post, ladies! As women we just wear many hats naturally, don’t we, lol? And we do it so well 🙂 Congrats on the new release! Wishing you many,, many sales!!!!

December 19, 2012 at 9:17 am

Exactly Jennifer…sometimes we can clean house and get rid of some hats, but seems like there is always another to take it’s place!

• Kristina Knight

December 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

thanks, jennifer! as I was writing this I had an image of me as a Dr. Seuss character with hat after hat after hat atop my head!

5. Margery Scott

December 19, 2012 at 9:39 am

Great excerpt, Kristina. I think we as women all wear a lot of hats. Wishing you much success, and another thanks for visiting my blog yesterday.

December 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Thank you so much for coming by Margery 🙂

6. Liz Flaherty

December 19, 2012 at 9:47 am

The wearing of many hats–successfully!–is one of my favorite parts of being a girl. We’ve always done it, so we’ve gotten good at it, we’re never bored, and we have more fun than anybody. And if we don’t today, we will tomorrow when we wear yet a different hat.

Good post, Kristi, and great excerpt!

7. Melissa Limoges

December 19, 2012 at 10:47 am

Great excerpt, Kristina. Congrats on your new release. Happy Holidays. 🙂

December 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Glad you dropped in Melissa…thank you 🙂

8. ellaquinnauthor

December 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

Wonderful post. Congratulations on your release. Here’s to many, many sales.

December 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I ditto that sentiment Ella…glad you dropped in!

9. Mae Clair

December 19, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’m a hat juggler too. The ‘biggies’ are wife, writer, blogger, critique parnter, marketing profesisonal (the day job) but there are a lot of smaller ‘caps’ always popping up and demanding attention. I guess we constantly adapt to the new balance, whatever comes our way 🙂

Congrats on the new release Kristina. Oh, and BTW, I actually love the head-wear sort of hat, LOL. I have a closet full of them! 🙂

December 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for coming by Mae!

How fun that you have a lot of head gear…you should do a blog on it with pictures. I’ve always envied people who can wear hats…they never look quite right on me.

10. Cait

December 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

What a fun exerpt, Kristi — love the saound of the new release. As regards hats, I’m lucky in that they all seem to suit me LOL!

December 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I think most women these days are multi-taskers, and multi-hat wearers. I’m a referee, a judge, a saleswoman, a laborer. I’m all these things on the outside. On the inside, I’m an author, a wife, a mother (not listed in any particular order, btw). Harriet Nelson (Leave It To Beaver) portrayed the classic apron wearer, also Marion Cunningham (Happy Days). We are women – we can do it. That’s the way we’re wired. Men, sadly are not known to multi-anything. But I wouldn’t change my husband for the world.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Christine & Krist! Wonderful post!!

December 19, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Merry Christmas to you to Sheri….so glad you came by 🙂

12. Nikki Barrett

December 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

oooh, totally! So many hats! Mom, wife, housecleaner, author, blogger, reviewer, page admin, photographer, jewelry maker, daughter, sister, aunt, friend….As for juggling?….Well, let’s just say there’s days I’m exhausted and want to pull my hair out, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

December 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Very well said! Thanks for coming by to comment Nikki!

13. Callie Hutton (@Calliehutton)

December 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Hi Kristina, Love the blurb and excerpt from your book. I really enjoyed What a Texas Girl Wants, and I wish you must success with this one. On my tbr list.

December 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Glad you have Kristi’s book on your tbr pile Callie…she’s a talented lady 🙂

14. D'Ann Lindun

December 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I wear a bunch of hats, we all do! Super post!

December 19, 2012 at 9:25 pm

It’s amazing all the hats we wear isn’t it? Thanks for coming by D’Ann!

December 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

There are some days I wear muti hats easily and other days not so much, lol.
    Congratulations on your release!

December 19, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I’m with you there Brenda…today I managed to wear several and succeeded..we’ll see how tomorrow goes! lol Thanks so much for dropping in.

December 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I’ll admit I’m not a fan of cowboy stories, but I loved the blurb, so I’ve added it to my TBR list. Best of luck with sales!

17. Sara Walter Ellwood

December 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Great blog, fantastic blurb and wonderful excerpt…

Hats? I wear so many they make my head spin some days!

Good luck, Kristi!

December 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Haha! Great excerpt, Kristi! I have to get this one too. Of course, I love all my Twinkie’s books! Congrats on your success hon. 🙂