30 Jan

Time for What to Read Wednesday! Today we have LynDee Walker in the hot seat! She’s here to tell us about her book Front Page Fatality: A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery ( just love that title).

LynDee is also giving away one signed e-card, which is good for a download of her novel for any Walker headshotdevice the winner chooses. So please leave your email address with your comment and at the end of the day we’ll pick a winner who will be contacted for their mailing address. WOOT WOOT!

Let’s get started!

Welcome to What to Read Wednesday! I’m excited to have you here. What five words best describe you?

Thanks so much for having me, Christine! I’m excited to be here today! Oh, goodness, five words. Talkative. Fun. Real. Mom. Dreamer.

If we lifted the cushions on your couch what would we find?

Popsicle wrappers! My children adore the popsicles that come in those plastic tubes, and they stuff the wrappers into the couch rather than walk ten feet to the trash can.

Kids…they are a blessing and a curse! lol Do you prefer to read with an e-reader or to read “real” books?

It depends. I love my kindle when I’m traveling, because I can carry hundreds of books in my
handbag. But nothing beats the feel and smell of a book in my hands. Especially an antique one.

What genre (s) do you write?

Humorous mystery and women’s fiction.

Why did you choose that particular genre?

I guess because those are the genres I gravitate toward most as a reader. There are books I love from almost every genre, but those are the two I love best. My WF has a bit of magical realism, too, which
is also something I like to read.

Share the blurb from Front Page Fatality: A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery.

Crime reporter Nichelle Clarke’s days can flip from macabre to comical with a beep of her police scanner. Then an ordinary accident story turns extraordinary when evidence goes missing, a prosecutor vanishes, and a sexy Mafia boss shows up with the headline tip of a lifetime. As Nichelle gets closer to the truth, her story gets more dangerous. Armed with a notebook, a hunch, and her favorite stilettos, Nichelle races to splash these shady dealings across the front page before this deadline becomes her last.

What’s something about your book that makes it stand out from others in the same
genre?

I think Nichelle is a bit different from a lot of other heroines, because while she’s smart and sassy, she’s also very independent and can definitely take care of herself.

What’s a favorite line from your book that you’re proud of?

But that’s the thing about dead people: they can’t warn you to keep your nose out of things that are
going to put your ass in danger.

Nice one! Tell us the thing you like most about your hero.

Because of the above mentioned independence, I’m not certain I really have a hero. I have a few
sexy male characters with hero potential, maybe, but Nichelle is definitely the star
of this story.

Fair enough…I like the idea of hero potential. Tell us what you like most about your heroine 🙂

The things I like most about her are her tenacity and wit.

Did you have to do a lot of research for this book and if so how did you go about it?

I know newspapers and reporting inside and out, but I had to do some interesting research for the mystery. Drug trafficking, Mafia families … I must be on some FBI watch list for some of the things I googled! I also got into the trunk of a friend’s car to make sure one scene was properly executed.

FPF front cover smLove it LynDee! Please share an excerpt from Front Page Fatality: A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery.
“Have a seat.” Aaron cleared a stack of paper off a black plastic chair in his cluttered
closet of an office. An ever-changing collection of maps, photos, and notes made it
impossible to guess the color of the walls, and the small metal desk was buried under
piles of manila case file folders. Judging by the detectives’ offices, Richmond was a
downright dangerous place to live.
His gray upholstered chair rocked backward as he settled into it and looked at me
expectantly, the genial manner that made him the department’s king of confessions
evident in the smile that lit his round face. Aaron’s charm was his central talent. He had a real gift for getting people to talk to him, and was nearly as good at keeping his own hand
close. Often, reporters left his office with little or nothing, and felt like they’d somehow been done a favor. Not me. Usually, anyway. Aaron and I had a nice little groove where he tried to bullshit me, I called him on it, and then we bantered until I talked him out of some actual information. It wasn’t personal. It was the job. Personally, I liked Aaron, and the feeling seemed to be mutual.
“Who is our unfortunate friend who was shot in the head?” I asked.
Aaron flipped a page on a legal pad. “Darryl Anthony Wright, African-American male, age twenty-five. Formerly a resident of cellblock seven at Cold Springs.”
I jotted that down and pulled the police report on the Noah Smith murder from my bag. “Are you guys looking for some kind of Charles Bronson wannabe?”
He pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger and chuckled. When he looked up, his hand slid down his face so his fingers rested over his lips and muf- fled the first part of his answer.
“Not pulling any punches today, I see. But I think so.” His hand dropped to the desk and he shook his head. “I can’t say anything for sure without ballistics.”
“When is the report supposed to be back?” I smiled as I scrawled his words into my notes. That was easier than I thought. It took about thirty-five seconds to figure out why.
Ignoring my question, Aaron cocked his head to one side and grinned. “This whole damned thing is about to turn into a giant pain in my ass, isn’t it?”
I arched an eyebrow. His Detective Adorable routine was usually reserved for the TV crews. I waited, eyebrow up, for him to go on.

Great blurb! What’s the best advice you were given on your road to publication?

Never give up! Publishing is a business, and you can be a good writer but not have a hugely marketable product for many reasons. Keep learning, honing your craft, and seeking honest feedback. And if this is really your dream, hang on with both hands, because writing is a necessity for a writer, but publishing can be a brutal business sometimes.

Did anything surprise you about the publishing process?

In the beginning, everything did! I thought you just wrote a book and wrapped it up and sent it to
New York and it magically showed up in Barnes and Noble. (Why are you laughing?) But I educated myself about the way the business works over a period of several years, all the while writing new projects and polishing FRONT PAGE FATALITY. From the moment I signed my contract, I have been nothing but happy with the home I found for Nichelle (and myself). Henery Press is top-notch.

I’ve heard wonderful things about Henery Press…congrats on working with them! Would you give us a sneak peek into what your current WIP is?

Which one? I’ve *just* finished the rough draft of Nichelle’s second mystery adventure, which I’m tentatively calling Buried Leads, and am beginning to revise it. She’s poking around in backroom political deals, a prostitution ring, and assorted other shady situations. There are laughs, gasps, and more sexy men. Plus, fantastic shoes—and chocolate! I’m also about to start at Nichelle Clarke novella for an anthology with two other fabulously funny authors: Terri L. Austin and Larissa Reinhart. I’m excited to get into that. I’ve never written a novella, so wish me luck!

For sure…GOOD LUCK! And finally, where can we find you and your book(s)?

I am online every day:
catch up with me at www.lyndeewalker.com,

like my author page on Facebok at
www.facebook.com/lyndeewalkerbooks,

fan me on goodreads at
www.goodreads.com/lyndee_walker,

or follow me on Twitter @LynDeeWalker.
As for the book, it’s everywhere!

Amazon

Barnes and Noble

Kobo, iBooks, or your favorite independent bookseller.

Thank you for joining me today LynDee! I’m so glad you visited and we got the chance to get to know you and learn about your fabulous sounding book :)!

Thanks again for having me!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

January 30, 2013 at 8:15 am

Fun interview, ladies! LynDee your cover, excerpt, and interview were all fun to read!! Love the humor! I’ll be the heroine is a hoot to read 🙂 I am so buying this book! I love finding new authors to read! Thanks so much!!
    jennyrlowery(at)yahoo(dot)com

January 30, 2013 at 10:02 am

So glad you came by and found a new author. I agree, Lyndee’s book sounds like it’ll be a great read!

2. Nikki Lynn Barrett

January 30, 2013 at 8:56 am

Wow, what fun! LOL at the Popsicle wrappers. My 3 year old is actually really good about throwing things away. He’s often times cleaning up my husband’s mess in the living room when he works on a project, and my son sings the “clean up, clean up, everybody everywhere” Sooo cute! Will it last forever? I doubt it, but a mom can hope.

Congratulations on your release. Your excerpt is fantastic, and the book sounds great!

January 30, 2013 at 10:03 am

LOL…your son is such a cutie Nikki. Fingers crossed that his cleaning habits grow with him. My oldest son was that way and he’s still that way…so don’t give up hope! lol Thanks for coming by!

3. Larissa Reinhart (@RisWrites)

January 30, 2013 at 9:02 am

Great interview ladies! I have actually read Front Page Fatality (I’m a LynDee fan). It’s as exciting, funny, and interesting as you’d think. My husband lost me for the two days I was reading it! Congrats LynDee!

January 30, 2013 at 9:06 am

Aw thanks, Ris! We cross-posted. I’m glad you like Nichelle so much! I ❤ Cherry, too. 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 10:04 am

Awesome Larissa..I always love a testimonial! Thanks for coming by 🙂

4. LynDee Walker

January 30, 2013 at 9:05 am

Thank you, ladies! And thanks again, Christine, for having me on.

Nikki, my two-year-old is definitely the best about cleaning up. I’m hoping to keep her that way so at least I have some help. 😉

Glad y’all like the excerpt, and I hope you enjoy the book!

My marketing folks have actually put the ebook version of FPF on sale to celebrate the release, so if you don’t win the drawing, you can check out Nichelle’s adventure for $2.99. 🙂

Good luck!

January 30, 2013 at 10:05 am

LynDee, thank you so much for joining us on What to Read Wednesday. I had a great time interviewing you!

5. Julie Gallo

January 30, 2013 at 9:27 am

Fabulous interview and let me just say that the huge grin on my face got even bigger when you spoke of Nichelle’s newest adventure! I had the privilege of getting an advanced copy and absolutely love Nichelle and everything she gets into. She gets the job done with class and sass. I also love the men in her life 😉

I love that you actually got into the trunk of a car to check accuracy scene in your book. That is dedication!

January 30, 2013 at 10:05 am

Thanks for coming by and commenting Julie. 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 10:42 am

Thank you, Julie!! I’m bouncing this morning because my BFF texted me that Front Page Fatality is in the top 20 on amazon’s hot new releases in women sleuths, which is blowing me away. 🙂 hope you like the second one as much. And yes: my friend thought is was a little nuts for asking if I could get in her trunk, but I know that would really work! 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 10:44 am

*I* she thought I was nuts. Typing on my daughter’s iPad. 😉

January 30, 2013 at 11:14 am

WOOT WOOT..congrats LynDee on your Amazon ranking…that’s awesome!!

6. Cait

January 30, 2013 at 9:36 am

Nice one, Lynn, Nichelle sounds fabulous as does the entire book. Magic realism — bring it on, I love MR! Good luck with the release, here’s wishing you many many sales 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 10:06 am

Glad you dropped in Cait…thank you!

January 30, 2013 at 10:43 am

Thank you, Cait! I will pretty that one up for people to read someday, I promise! 🙂

7. susanmboyer

January 30, 2013 at 11:03 am

Lovely interview, ladies! Front Page Fatality is a great read! And LynDee, I have to say, I once thought like you that you simply finished your book, mailed it in, and then it magically appeared in bookstores everywhere. *sigh*

Love the quote! Congratulations, LynDee!!

January 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

Thanks for coming by Susan and sharing your thoughts abotu LynDee’s book 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Thank you, Susan! It’s funny how you feel when that bubble bursts, isn’t it? “I wrote a book!” and then you research publishing and realize that was the easy part. 😉

8. Terri L. Austin

January 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

LOVED Front Page Fatality! Congrats, LD! Nichelle rocks and so do you!

January 30, 2013 at 11:16 am

After all of these testimonials I want to read this more than I did before!

January 30, 2013 at 11:19 am

I hope you like it, Christine! Grab an ebook while its on sale. 😉

January 30, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Thank you, Terri!

January 30, 2013 at 11:14 am

OmGosh, I LOVE your cover!!!

January 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

Thank you! Henery Press has such wonderful artists. I love it, too! 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 11:16 am

Me too…but, like me, you’re a cover junkie too Sharon! lol

10. LynDee Walker

January 30, 2013 at 11:14 am

*hugs Terri and Susan* I am so lucky to have found y’all! 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 11:22 am

The book sounds really fun, LynDee!

January 30, 2013 at 11:26 am

I’m in total agreement Jerri…glad you dropping by!

January 30, 2013 at 11:34 am

Nice to meet you Lyn Dee! You write for Henery Press, don’t you? I think Kendel’s coming to my blog next week. 🙂 Your heroine sounds fun to read (and write). I love that cover.

January 30, 2013 at 11:49 am

Hi Calisa! Very glad to be here, and yes, I am blessed to be with Henery! Kendel is lovely, and I’ll be sure to watch for that interview! Thanks for the cover love! 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Thanks for coming by Calisa 🙂

13. Melissa Limoges

January 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Nice interview, ladies! Sounds like a fun read. 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Thank you, Melissa! I’m glad you dropped by today!

January 30, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Thanks for coming by Melissa!

14. annaldavis

January 30, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Great interview LynDee! Popsicle wrappers will be the death of me, I think. Not sure why, but I had the bright idea to buy those push-up popsicles at a warehouse store, so we had wrappers under every cushion in the house for a while there!

January 30, 2013 at 2:24 pm

That’s where I buy them, too, Anna! And between those and the yogurt tubes, I should open my own plastic recycling plant. 🙂

15. D'Ann Lindun

January 30, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Nice interview! Book sounds great!

January 30, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Thank you, D’Ann! Nice of you to drop in and say hi! 🙂

16. Alicia Tonne

January 30, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I am loving Front Page Fatality! Nichelle is such a great heroine and I just want to be friends with her. Haha.

Great interview, LynDee! I love that you’re probably on government/ FBI lists because of all the research you had to do in mafia and crime – haha! And hearing about the sneak peek into the second Nichelle mystery makes me think you’re not helping your Google history. Hopefully they won’t come for you so you can keep writing and sharing Nichelle’s crazy shenanigans! 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thanks, Alicia!

Barry Lyga said once that he googled “how to get away with murder” when he was writing “I Hunt Killers” (which is brilliant) so when they come for Barry, I’ll know it’s time to bleach my hair and go off the grid. 🙂

So glad you’re enjoying Nichelle! I’d like to go to happy hour at Capital Ale with her, myself.

17. ellaquinnauthor

January 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Great interview. I tweeted.

January 30, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Thanks, Ella!!

January 30, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Ella 🙂

18. Grace K.

January 30, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Very nice interview. I have seen Front Page Fatality mentioned on a few mystery fiction blogs. I would love to read it!

January 30, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Thank you, Grace! Good luck in the contest!

19. Cerian Hebert

January 30, 2013 at 5:28 pm

LOL I’m glad I’m not the only one with wrappers under the couch cushions. Kids are a mystery sometimes. Great blurb! I wish you tons of sales!

January 30, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Thank you! And I think more of us have them than don’t. 😉

20. ChristineWarner

January 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm

THANK YOU LynDee for visiting What to Read Wednesday! It was awesome to interview you and I wish you many sales with your books!

I also want to announce the winner of the drawing…congrats to D’Ann for coming by and commenting. LynDee will be emailing you soon 🙂 Congrats again 🙂

21. Molly

February 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Hurrah, that’s what I was exploring for, what a information! present here at this weblog, thanks admin of this web site.
    See this: Molly, http://ablates.Katowice.pl

22. lineages

May 24, 2013 at 11:29 am

e, jednakże teraz
    dolazło wytrwałe szarpnięcie. lineages Finał sznurka wyskoczył w dłoni,
    zniknął w zaroślach. Hałas tratowanych krzaków,
    zakończony silnym beknięciem. Przedtem po każdym.

23. Tomoko

September 24, 2013 at 8:54 am

Hello would you mind stating which blog platform
    you’re working with? I’m looking to start my own blog
    soon but I’m having a difficult time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!