27 Feb

Thanks for joining me for WHAT TO READ WEDNESDAY! Today we have my wonderful Entangled sister joining us. Please help me in welcoming Barbara DeLeo. She’s a lot of fun and one interesting lady…and to top it off, one lucky commenter will win a copy of Barbara’s book CONTRACT FOR B and WMARRIAGE. At the end of her post she’s given us all a special gift…a link to her first chapter. So make sure you check it out!

Oh, and don’t forget to join me in drooling over her gorgeous cover 🙂

Take it away Barbara!

Thanks so much for having me on What to read Wednesday, Christine. I’m  from Downunder —New Zealand, in fact—so it’s Thursday here already, and just between you and me Wednesday was AWESOME. You’re gonna love it!

So, about me….I live at the top of the South Island of New Zealand in wine country because my partner-in-parenting-crime is a winemaker. Could I have got any luckier? Well, just between you and me, I was hoping for a cheesecake maker but I’m not giving him back now I’ve run him in. {:o)

While he makes the wine, I write the books and together we try to work out what we must have done in a previous life to have been blessed with four children in two years. I’m thinking I must have either been one of those smug parents who are super organized and have socks that actually MATCH in the kids’ drawers, or else I was something like a nun who’d taken a vow of silence. Whichever it was, I’m certainly learning some lessons this time around!

The main lesson I’ve taken from these twelve parenting years is to have something in my life that’s completely for myself. In the old days it was just five minutes when I could go to the bathroom without eight eyes trained on me from the doorway. Now its my writing career which I’ve built so painstakingly from a sentence a day when the kids were babies, to a chapter week when they were in kindergarten, to three to four books a year now.

All that hard work resulted in me signing with the Indulgence line at Entangled Publishing and having my debut book Contract for Marriage release at the end of 2012.  It’s a magical feeling to have worked so hard for a dream that has finally paid off. I’d always heard the advice to try and find your passion but it wasn’t until I was well into my thirties that I found out what that might be.

The heroine in Contract for Marriage has a passion, to live back in the house that has been in her family for generations. Trouble is, the man who broke her heart ten years ago has a claim on it too. There are going to be some pretty hot negotiations before any settlement is reached, and that settlement is something neither of them saw coming.

I’d love to hear about a passion that you’ve found in your life, or the greatest lesson you’ve learned in the last ten years.

Contract for Marriage-1600I have an ecopy of Contract for Marriage to give away to one commenter.

Bio

Barbara DeLeo’s first book, co-written with her best friend, was a story about beauty queens in space. She was eleven, and the sole, handwritten copy was lost years ago much to everyone’s relief. It’s some small miracle that she kept the faith and now lives her dream of writing sparkling contemporary romance with unforgettable characters.

Degrees in English and Psychology, and a career as an English teacher, fuelled Barbara’s passion for people and stories, and a number of years living in Europe gave her a love for romantic settings.

Discovering she was having her second set of twins in two years, Barbara knew she must be paying penance for being disorganized in a previous life and was determined to get it right this time. It’s amazing what being housebound with four preschoolers will do for the imagination and she decided it was time to follow her writing dream. Funnily enough, those first manuscripts had not a single child in them.

Married to her winemaker hero, Barbara’s happiest when she’s getting to know her latest cast of characters. She still loves telling stories about finding love in all the wrong places, but now without a beauty queen or spaceship in sight.

IMG_0634

You can find Barbara at:

Website  Facebook   Goodreads  Twitter

Read Chapter One of Contract for Marriage free!

Buy from Barnes and Noble or Amazon or iTunes

Posted by on February 27, 2013 in What to Read Wednesday

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

February 27, 2013 at 8:28 am

Hi, Barbara! I love the cover and blurb for Contract for Marriage – exactly the kind of book I love to read. Good luck with it!!

I’ve always known my passion was writing, but I’ve realized I have other passions, too – I love to quilt. There is something magical about creating a beautiful object from a bunch of scraps of fabric…

February 27, 2013 at 8:54 am

Thanks for coming by Kristi! I didn’t know you quilted…love it. I sew with 2 thumbs, so it’s never been a passion…but put me in the kitchen and I’m a happy girl creating (and sometimes burning…lol)

• Barbara DeLeo

February 27, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Thanks so much for the good luck, Kristina! I have a good friend who quilts and you’re right, she’s made some stunning pieces. Thanks so much for stopping by.

2. Chrissy

February 27, 2013 at 8:44 am

I love your name written in the sand, Barbara! That is so cool! My mom is a twin, and I would love to have ONE set of twins. But two is scary! You’re super mom! The story looks awesome! On the TBR list for sure!

February 27, 2013 at 8:55 am

So glad you came by Chrissy and added Contract For Marriage to your tbr list 🙂

• Barbara DeLeo

February 27, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Hi Chrissy, so lovely to meet you. The writing in the sand does look good, doesn’t it! We had to hike for an hour to get to this beach and it was breathtaking. It almost looked as though no one had been there before. Yes, twins sure are special. {:o)

3. Cait

February 27, 2013 at 8:49 am

Agreed, Christine, the cover is preddy darn fab. Congrats on achieving your dreams, nice one. My main passion is writing, but I adore dancing and music and love the inspiration to my writing they bring. Good luck with your release, may you have many kerchings of the sales till.

February 27, 2013 at 8:55 am

So glad you dropped by Cait. Love that music and dancing is an inspiration for you and I’ve seen it in your writing!

• Barbara DeLeo

February 27, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Hey, Cait. Kerchings is my new favourite word! I admire anyone who can dance and I can totally understand how music and dance can add to your writing. Great to see you here.

February 27, 2013 at 11:50 am

4 kids in two years!!! You are my hero. Wow. I love your cover and I love your name written in the sand. I tried to do that last summer and it was a complete failure. LOL. Congrats on your release!

February 27, 2013 at 12:58 pm

So glad you stopped by Sharon! Thanks 🙂

• Barbara DeLeo

February 27, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Thanks so much for the congrats, Sharon. Let me tell you, I certainly don’t feel like a hero a lot of the time, in fact breakfast time on a school morning I kinda resemble a cross between Medusa and Voldemort….Next time I go to that beach I’m gonna write Sharon Cullen {:o)

5. Joy Isley

February 27, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I am always looking for new authors to read and your book sounds really good.
    I love drinking wine so will have to try some from New Zealand. What is your label?

• Barbara DeLeo

February 27, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Hi, Joy. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your comments about the book. Villa Maria is the wine label. It’s available throughout the U.S so I hope you can find it. The Sauvignon Blanc and the Pinot Noir are my favourites. {:o)

February 27, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Thanks for sharing the label Barbara…I’m going to have to check it out as well.

February 27, 2013 at 3:46 pm

So glad you dropped in Joy and found a new author and new book!

6. Serena Clarke

February 28, 2013 at 3:41 am

Hi Barbara, another Kiwi here! Wow you’re amazing to have combined writing and children – so many children! – the way you have. I did laugh at your description of going to the bathroom with all those little people for company. I’ve had lots of passions (including quilting like Kristina), and now writing is my true love too. I think lots of people only discover their real passion once they get a bit older and know themselves better. Congratulations on your debut with Entangled – I’m intrigued to find out what the settlement is! 🙂

• Barbara DeLeo

February 28, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Serena! So lovely to see you here. I think you’re very right about people finding their passions when they’re a little older. I sometimes wish I’d discovered my writing passion at 20, but then I also think that who I am as a writer has been deeply influenced by my ‘life experience’. Thanks for the congrats!

February 28, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I love your badge. Did you actually write your name in sand and take the pic? How cool and creative. I love your cover too. That book sounds great. Congrats, Barbara. 🙂

8. Barbara DeLeo

February 28, 2013 at 3:29 pm

That’s exactly what I did, Calisa. There’s an amazing National Park in New Zealand called the Abel Tasman. It’s a four day hike beside absolutely pristine beaches and dark green rainforest. The most beautiful thing is the deep golden colour of the sand. You can’t visit this particular beach by car so we hiked in and it looked like we were the only people to have ever been there. Thanks so much for dropping by and for the congrats!

9. ChristineWarner

March 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm

My apologies to Barbara and everyone who came by to comment. I let life get in the way of my fun time and forgot to announce the winner of Barbara’s book CONTRACT FOR MARRIAGE….so drum roll please………..

CONGRATS Kristi Knight….you’re the chosen one. Hope you enjoy the book….sounds like it’ll be a great read 🙂