24 Apr

Is it just me or do the weeks seem to be moving fast? Here we are at another What to Read Wednesday. Today I have a special treat for you. My wonderful friend Cerian Hebert wrote a thought provoking guest post on character development and she’s also sharing her latest release NO GOING BACK from Soul Mate Publishing.cerih

And I’m sure you know what I’m about to say next, because I’m such a cover junkie…lol…but don’t you just get pulled into her gorgeous cover. Very sexy 🙂 Another one to add to my “love” list.

Okay, let’s hand over the blog to Cerian!

The last few days I’ve been stewing about character development. I tend to like to put a lot of details into my writing, lots of narrative, maybe too much narrative and I’ve discovered that sometimes I spend so much time on my surroundings that I forgot to develop my characters just as much. So I pulled out a book on writing and stared at it.

And stared.

And looked at one of my manuscripts and then back at the book. When I first started writing I had a book on how to get published. I read that thing cover to cover and back again. Since then I haven’t been much for how-to books, but I wonder, are they a resource that should be tapped in times of trouble? Will they show me the err of my ways, or am I better off figuring it out on my own?

I’ve looked back at past characters that readers have liked, and wonder why them? The sweet, the romantic and the troubled. As a writer, is it a good idea to stick with “what I know” or branch out into the unknown? I’m all for branching out.

Turns out I didn’t re-re-read the book. It’s still on my desk. I may read it, but I feel better with coming up with a solution on my own. Besides, I had other things to worry about, like researching a few things about one of my latest characters careers. He’s a small town police chief but he’s just returned from war. Since I don’t know too many people personally who’ve been there, it was a little more challenging. But again, it all comes down to character development. The more I know, the more defined my hero will be.

Of course he didn’t have to be a vet. Maybe he could be an encyclopedia salesman. Out on the road for weeks at a time. How important is the job the character holds down anyway? Can he get away with holding down a mundane job, like the owner of an environmental safety equipment company and still be dashing, dangerous and sexy?

I guess it all goes back to character development. Done right, I bet an encyclopedia salesman could be just as intriguing as an ex-Navy Seal. Hmm…. Maybe that’s my next project.

But for now I’m pleased to present my latest release from Soul Mate Publishing,  No Going Back.

NoGoingBack_850 (2)

Blurb:

As if moving from Los Angeles to a New Hampshire town with less than two hundred residents isn’t enough for ex-Hollywood socialite, Ari Milbanke, she has a house full of someone else’s life, the lonely ghost of a teen-aged girl and a handsome neighbor who runs a horse rescue facility. She has a lot ahead of her as she settles her two young daughters into their new life while trying to hide the one she left behind.

Sam Beauchamp was content with his life. Rescuing and training horses has always satisfied him, but when newcomer, Ari and her daughters came into his life he realized how much was missing. Even the ghost attached to the decade’s old mysterious disappearance isn’t enough to deter him. What might, though, is Ari’s inability to be open with her past and who she really is.

Excerpt:

“…I can’t imagine pining away for someone I’ve lost for as long as he has.”

They’d arrived at the pond and Sam brought Papi to a halt as Ari stopped next to him. The mirror-still water reflected the browns and russets of the leaves that remained on the trees. Autumn’s peak had passed southern New Hampshire, and though there were still some trees holding out with bright yellow and red leaves, the world had settled into more coppery tones.

He loved this spot. As a kid he’d come here with his thoughts and a fishing pole and spend hours.

“What, you’re not a romantic?” Sam turned his attention away from the pond and gave it to Ari.

She frowned at his question. “Not particularly. There haven’t been any fairy tale moments in my life to date. I guess you could call me a cynic when it comes to romance and all.”

“Now that’s a shame, Ari.”

She smiled and her eyes met his steadily. “Are you one? A romantic, I mean?”

“Would that be an odd thing? Big guy like me being a bit sentimental?”

A blush crept into her cheeks and she looked away. How in the world had the conversation gotten so personal? Sam wasn’t sure if he should steer the exchange back to the ghost of Ruth Anne or pursue the direction they’d been following.

“Well, honestly, yeah. But perhaps it’s the cynic in me again. You seem too down to earth to be romantic.”

Sam shook his head. “Oh, Ari, I think I’m sad for you. Now, let’s get going. We have some clouds coming in. Nothing worse than being stuck out in an October rain.”

While he hated to end the conversation, Sam had no doubt the topic would come up again when they’d be in a better place to go into details.

***

You can buy a copy of No Going Back here:

And you can visit me at www.cerianhebert.com

Twitter: @CerianHebert

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cerian-Hebert/183730891671970?ref=hl

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Cerian Hebert

April 24, 2013 at 5:46 am

Thanks for having me stop in today, Christine!

April 24, 2013 at 8:26 am

Thanks for joining us on What to Read Wednesday Ceri…enjoyed your post 🙂

2. Jenna Jaxon

April 24, 2013 at 7:29 am

Such a great post! I tend to think more about the plot/action than setting or characters. So I have to make myself concentrate on that too. But I think it’s good to branch out into uncharted waters. Research is always a good thing as far as I’m concerned. Gorgeous cover!

• Cerian Hebert

April 24, 2013 at 7:33 am

Thanks Jenna. We do have to multi-task when we write to make sure we have all bases covered. I’m glad you like the cover. Can’t go wrong with Jimmy Thomas!

April 24, 2013 at 8:27 am

I always love hearing how each writer approaches their stories in their own way. Thanks for coming by and sharing Jenna 🙂

April 24, 2013 at 8:09 am

Great cover, Cerian, and I’m with you on character development – a character I can identify with and know? I’ll follow him (or her) through the entire book. Good luck with your next project!

April 24, 2013 at 8:28 am

So true Kristi! Thanks for coming by.

• Cerian Hebert

April 24, 2013 at 8:59 am

Thanks Kristina! I agree with you, very important to be able to identify with the characters-IMHO 🙂 Thanks for coming by!

4. Gerri Brousseau

April 24, 2013 at 9:01 am

Hey Cerian,
    Great post and beautiful cover. Is that Jimmy Thomas? I am going to have to put this book on my TBR list for sure. Hey, why can’t your encyclopedia salesman be a former SEAL?

April 24, 2013 at 9:34 am

LOL..I love that Gerri…a former SEAL turned encyclopedia salesman….sounds like an interesting start. Thanks for coming by!

• Cerian Hebert

April 24, 2013 at 10:03 am

Now there’s an idea, Gerri! Or maybe an encyclopedia salesman decides to join up and becomes a Navy Seal, surprising all his friends and family. Thanks for coming by and admiring my beautiful cover. He is rather hunky!

April 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Developing characters is one of my favorite things to do. Great post!

• Cerian Hebert

April 25, 2013 at 5:15 am

Thanks Sharon! I do love character driven stories. I think character development is just as important as plot. Glad you stopped by!

6. jannashay

April 24, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Terrific post. No Going Back sounds great. I just put it on my TBR list. Good luck with your book.

7. Sara Walter Ellwood

April 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I LOVE developing my characters. I often have a characters before I have a plot to torture them in. And I agree with Christine… I LOVE THAT COVER. Congratulations Cerian!!

• Cerian Hebert

April 25, 2013 at 5:16 am

Thanks Sara! I agree completely. Developing characters is very satisfying. Getting them to do what you want them to do, however, is more difficult. Thanks for stopping in!

8. D'Ann

April 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Looks like a super book!

• Cerian Hebert

April 25, 2013 at 5:17 am

Thanks D’Ann. You have a beautiful horse. Glad you stopped by!

April 25, 2013 at 9:34 am

I hadn’t seen this cover before today! Beautiful, Cerian!!! Encyclopedia salesman? Huh. LOL

I tried to give Connor McKay (hero in my latest release) a mundane, stay-at-home job and look where he ended up. An EMT-P for a mediflight company! Nope. No ordinary mundane job for my heroes, not that I don’t still try to put them in those. 🙂 Congrats and happy sales, sweetie.