15 May

Happy Wednesday and thank you for joining me for What to Read Wednesday. Today I’d love it if you’d help me welcome Heather Van Fleet to the blog. She wrote a wonderful post about changing from an introvert to an extrovert. She’s also sharing her latest release WHEN IT’S LEAST EXPECTED, the first book in her Perfect Timing Series 🙂

Take it away Heather…

I’m a loner – an introvert is the better word for it I suppose. I don’t like to go to parties of any sort. I don’t go out of my way to talk to people either. And I would much rather stay at home with my Kindle, than face the world. And you know what? I’m okay with that! I love my family. My husband and my three little ladies are my rock. I’ve got a great set of parents, and a family that a lot of people would be envious of. I’m not an unhappy person by any means, just more of a keep to myself kind instead!

But then I turned thirty, got my very first laptop, and discovered the world of writing. That was also when something changed inside of me – something clicked is a better description for it. That was when I finally found a way to become that extrovert kind of person, without having to change who I really was.

I had officially discovered my characters!

And like a lot of authors I’m sure, I seriously grew addicted to characterizations and creating alter egos. Now . . . I’m not saying I want to be a seventeen year old girl again . . . I’ve already been there, done that, lived through it, and never ever want to go back. But what I do love is creating these characters – creating their lives and molding them all into people who I admire, but don’t necessarily want to be. I love developing their personalities. I love creating conflicts and figuring out how in the world they’re going to get out of said conflicts. And the one thing I love most of all?  Having them fall in love for that very first time. Because to me, there is nothing better to than reading about and experiencing that swoon worthy, young love, between my hero and heroine – especially in YA romances.

Creating fictional book characters has been one of the greatest experiences of my life, and the best thing I can possibly hope for now that When It’s Least Expected has been released, is that other people out there will fall as much in love with Harley and Mason, as I did.

WHEN IT’S LEAST EXPECTED

BY HEATHER VAN FLEET

16 aW1nXzY2MjUuanBn

Moving on after a tragedy can be impossible – especially when you’ve been dealing with those tragedies for over two years. But it’s her senior year, and Harley Anderson is more than ready to do just that, even though the skeletons in her closet can’t exactly be hidden.

Enter Mason Daniel, the egotistical, sexy, surfer boy from California – a boy with his own hidden demons, and even bigger secret agenda.

Mason isn’t right for Harley. He knows this better than anyone. He’s the epitome of a runner–a guy who takes what he can get, only to split a short while later. But he can’t deny the emotions that Harley brings out of him, so he’s going to break his rules for once.

He should have known what it would lead to… Two kindred souls – both lost and then found. Will they fail, once again, in their search for contentment and happiness, or will they finally find true love, when it’s least expected?

Grab your copy:  Barnes & Noble  Amazon

Website    Facebook    Twitter

About the Author:

Heather Van Fleet currently resides in northern Illinois, with her three daughters, Kelsey, Emma, and Isabella, and her fabulous hubby (and high school sweetheart) Chris, with whom she’s been blissfully married to now for ten plus years. She’s a stay at home mom by day, and an avid and completely obsessive writer and reader by night.

Posted by on May 15, 2013 in What to Read Wednesday

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Heather

May 15, 2013 at 7:28 am

Thank you for hosting me today, Christine!!

May 15, 2013 at 10:04 am

I’m thrilled to have you on What to Read Wednesday Heather. Thanks so much for sharing your latest release 🙂

May 15, 2013 at 7:37 am

Your cover is gorgeous! And I’m with you on being an introvert.

• Heather

May 15, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thank you so much, Sharon! I am quite fond of it too 🙂 Yay for a fellow introvert!

May 15, 2013 at 10:04 am

I agree 100% Sharon 🙂 lol

May 15, 2013 at 10:10 am

fun post, heather! staying home is one of my favorite things to do, but I admit that every now and then it’s fun to get dressed up and go to a party. good luck with your book!

• Heather

May 15, 2013 at 10:35 am

Every once in a while I’ll get the urge to get prettied up too, but I’m a sweatshirt sweatpants kind of girl 99% of the time. Thanks for stopping by!

May 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I love staying home too…I wear tshirts and scrub pants and love it. At this stage in the game I’m not very interested in dressing up…I’d rather be comfortable:) lol Thanks for coming by Kristi!

May 15, 2013 at 10:28 am

Pretty cover!! Nice to meet a fellow introvert 🙂 I am much happier at home. And speaking in front of people makes me break out in hives, lol. Writing is the perfect career for me! And I love it sooo much! Your book sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us today!

• Heather

May 15, 2013 at 10:36 am

Thanks Jennifer! I have really bad anxiety so i know how that is. It’s definitely great to become somebody else for once, even if they are fictional 🙂

May 15, 2013 at 1:31 pm

So glad you dropped in Jennifer..thank you.

5. Diane Burton

May 15, 2013 at 11:28 am

Is this weird or what? Many writers are introverts yet we’re expected to put ourselves out there–either in person or on the Internet–to promote our books. Are our kick-butt heroines our alter-egos? Great article, Heather. Wishing you the best.

May 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I love that Diane…I think our heroines are our alter-egos. I know I love that my characters are right out there trying and doing things I’d never dare. lol So glad you dropped in:)

• Heather

May 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I haven’t been writing long Diane, but I will say that a lot of authors I’ve conversed with are definitely introverts. Writing and putting myself out there is the most terrifying thing I’ve ever done in my life. But I’m with you, I do believe we all have that inner heroine just waiting inside to come out and kick some you know what. Thanks for the well wishes.

May 15, 2013 at 11:53 am

Oh yeah. I can so relate to being an introvert prior to discovering the WWW. There are days I feel like a split person – the one the visual world sees, and the one who is virtual.

May 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm

So true Sheri…I know exactly how you feel. Thanks for dropping in and checking out Heather’s post and her book.

7. Nikki Lynn Barrett

May 15, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I totally echo your sentiment! I’m one for staying home! I’m not a big talker to people. And fictional characters? Oh, don’t get me started!! Your book sounds great and I’m going to have to add it to my list!

8. Sara Walter Ellwood

May 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I can be an introvert, but I can also be very outgoing.. Depends on my mood. Love your cover.